New RTX 2070 super. 3rd party cooling?

echn111

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got an RTX 2070 super (msi with two fans) for my new mini-ITX build.

It makes a lot of noise and I'd like to rreplace the fan with a more quiet 3rd party cooler, but an ITX case doesn't have a lot of room.

Anyone know of a decent GPU cooler that takes 3 to 3.5 slots?

I've built a few watercooling rigs, and actually have one that would work in a mini-ITX build, a vertical stand-alone external quad rad with quick disconnects.

And maybe 5 years ago I'd do it, but I think I lack the patience now. I remember that setting it up was fun, at least I remember it that way after getting it working. But it was an absolute pain to upgrade... So when I upgrade to a 3006 RTX (or whatever next gen card comes out), I'll need to stop the pump, lug the PC and rad to the tub to drain (or use a drainport into a bucket but it's messy either way), disconnect everything, pull out your card, remove the cover and all the tubes. Then get the new card, replace the cooler, connect everything up, fill it up again etc... And sometimes the card wouldn't work properly, perhaps a VRM wasn't fully in contact with the block or lacking some thermal paste, and you'd need to open it up and start again which was infuriating...

With new GPU's possibly headed our way the end of the year (maybe), I'd prefer to stick to air for now. Just that this card keeps making too much noise...

Only two aftermarket solutions I can think of. Arctic cooler which is freakin huge. Won't fit your case for sure. Or the Kraken G12 bracket with a cheap aio and some vrm heatsinks. The Kraken would probably be the way to go if you have room for an aio inside the case.

I've built a few watercooling rigs, and actually have one that would work in a mini-ITX build, a vertical stand-alone external quad rad with quick disconnects.

And maybe 5 years ago I'd do it, but I think I lack the patience now. I remember that setting it up was fun, at least I remember it that way after getting it working. But it was an absolute pain to upgrade... So when I upgrade to a 3006 RTX (or whatever next gen card comes out), I'll need to stop the pump, lug the PC and rad to the tub to drain (or use a drainport into a bucket but it's messy either way), disconnect everything, pull out your card, remove the cover and all the tubes. Then get the new card, replace the cooler, connect everything up, fill it up again etc... And sometimes the card wouldn't work properly, perhaps a VRM wasn't fully in contact with the block or lacking some thermal paste, and you'd need to open it up and start again which was infuriating...

With new GPU's possibly headed our way the end of the year (maybe), I'd prefer to stick to air for now. Just that this card keeps making too much noise...

Water is indeed a nightmare. Im doing a loop right now in an itx build and it's been "fun".

Only two aftermarket solutions I can think of. Arctic cooler which is freakin huge. Won't fit your case for sure. Or the Kraken G12 bracket with a cheap aio and some vrm heatsinks. The Kraken would probably be the way to go if you have room for an aio inside the case.

Yeah that arctic accelero is huge, but OP might have the room. Kraken is certainly more compact but the AIO might be too big for his case as well.

I've done what pendragon was suggesting with zip ties and 2x120mm fans. Works well and definitely the cheapest solution. Works even better if you can do a custom fan curve in bios with a PCI-e temp sensor.

I've done what pendragon was suggesting with zip ties and 2x120mm fans. Works well and definitely the cheapest solution. Works even better if you can do a custom fan curve in bios with a PCI-e temp sensor.
bios doesnt control gpu fans, afterburner/x1 does. the adapter plugs normal pwm fans into the gpu's fan header. thats how ive always done it, for what i mentioned and with my g12/aio combo.

bios doesnt control gpu fans, afterburner/x1 does. the adapter plugs normal pwm fans into the gpu's fan header. thats how ive always done it, for what i mentioned and with my g12/aio combo.

Those adapter plugs are fine. I prefer just using the mobo headers though.

Those adapter plugs are fine. I prefer just using the mobo headers though.
if you dont have an adapter yeah it will work, but the bios isnt ever going to see the gpu temp. at least none ive ever ran into have. when i did it like that i had to use speedfan.

if you dont have an adapter yeah it will work, but the bios isnt ever going to see the gpu temp. at least none ive ever ran into have. when i did it like that i had to use speedfan.

Right, lots of boards now let you choose which temp sensor to link the header to. If you don't have a PCI-e sensor I agree get the adapters. Or you can get some good fans and just run them at 60-80% and that typically does fine.

Thanks for the ideas. I looked them up, especially that Kraken G12, which looks like an easier way to use water, and that arctic cooler, and even thought about a custom water loop again. And then looked into strapping on those 120mm fans...

But figured if I was considering strapping on a couple of 120mm fans, I might as well have a good heatsink.... So ended up giving up on sticking to 3 to 3.5 slots and ordering this: Raijintek Morpheus II with a couple of 1000 rpm fans. It's a huge 4 slot air cooler and "might" fit into my ITX case (Jonsbo UMX1-PLUS Silver), which should arrive in several weeks, if I scap my plan to have 3.5" HDD's in there and switch to dual M.2 NVM drives with 4 TB's.... And if it doesn't I might need to rip out the bottom of the case and adjust it....

This is probably my least planned build ever. But at least my graphics card will be reasonably quiet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would cut your loss and spend a bit more on a better stock cooled card. Less effort and will probably cost the same

I would cut your loss and spend a bit more on a better stock cooled card. Less effort and will probably cost the same
Already ordered a couple of slow running 120mm fans and the heatsink. If all goes well, the Morpheus should give me superior cooling to any stock cooled card at noise levels comparable to water. The heatsink on that thing weights almost 2 pounds and no need for a pump. At least on paper it looks good - might end up being a disaster, but going to give it a try and see.

Just ran a 40 minute furmark stress test. My RTX 2070 super GPU temps never exceeded 67 celsius. That's with two Noctua 120mm fans running in near silence at a fixed 850 rpm on my Raijintek Morpheus II GPU cooler.

It took longer than expected to set it up, but very happy with the results. If anyone is ever looking for a near silent air cooled build, has space for a GPU cooler that'll use a total of 4 slots, I highly recommend this cooler.

Just ran a 40 minute furmark stress test. My RTX 2070 super GPU temps never exceeded 67 celsius. That's with two Noctua 120mm fans running in near silence at a fixed 850 rpm on my Raijintek Morpheus II GPU cooler.

It took longer than expected to set it up, but very happy with the results. If anyone is ever looking for a near silent air cooled build, has space for a GPU cooler that'll use a total of 4 slots, I highly recommend this cooler.
4 slots are really only doable on an atx build. Cudos for making it work. How are the vrms and mem temps? Pictures?

Can do it on smaller builds too. I've currently got it in one of my older cases, the Jonsbo RM3 micro-ATX case, and it handles 4 slots well. It's not as small as I'd like but it's small enough to put on the top shelf of my study. Pics below. I figure I have a 50/50 chance it fits into my mini-ITX case (i.e. Jonsbo UMX1-Plus) when it eventually arrives in a few weeks... But if it doesn't I'll continue using this current case.

As for mem and vrms temps, not sure. Kicked off furmark and gpu-z and still can't see them in the sensors. Probably doing something wrong, but pic below... If there's a problem here, I can always increase fan speed (but would rather have a quiet setup...)

20200505_201144.jpg
20200505_195040.jpg
20200505_201145.jpg

Back