New Router Recommendation

TordanGow

[H]ard|Gawd
Internet speeds upgrade to 400mbit down.

Current network Gear:
Edgerouter Lite ER3 Router
Dell 5448 Powerconnect switch
UniFi Pro AP / Unifi AC-Lite AP

I am doing traffic shaping on the Edgerouter and it looks like it can't go past ~100mbit with shaping enabled. CPU is maxed at ~100mbit. Disabling all shaping gets the full 400 mbit with hardware handoff. However, I really want to have traffic shaping so it looks like a new router is in order.

What are some good options to that will allow traffic shaping at 400+ mbits? This isn't really a standard question so google wasn't a ton of help, was hoping some you experienced folks here could provide some suggestions.

Thanks!

If you are intent on sticking with Ubiquiti for the router portion you may have to go to a UDM Pro. Otherwise as Samir said, Pfsense is a very good free option. You can easily get desktop processors that will give it tons of horsepower for cheap. Think Sandy Bridge and Ivy bridge quad cores that are all over ebay for super cheap.

I'm not hard set on UBNT and in fact I don't like how their newer stuff requires a cloud controller. I like running my own stuff inside my network.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep PFsense in mind, was hoping for something more prepackaged than rolling my own device, but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. I'll have to check out that mikrotik and confirm it's performance.

The below is why I'm looking for traffic shaping and bandwidth limiting. I disabled shaping on my UBNT to take full advantage of my bandwidth and things go to shit when I load up my connection.

1619643037023.png

Last edited:
Back