New Router or Wifi Extender?

New Router or Wifi Extender?

• New Router

• Wifi Extender

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I needed an advice from my trusted computer forums :)

I have a wifi problem in the house, the router is in the basement and causes bad reception sometimes on the 3nd floor. (basement being the 1st floor). I have an Ethernet cable on the 3rd floor which I can use. My question is should I get a wifi extender and connected it to ethernet for best performance somewhere on the 1st floor? (so that it provides the best coverage) or should I get an inexpensive router, so that they can have a dedicated wifi signal and position it on the 3rd floor?

My budget is around $50/$60 any links recommendations would be appreciated. Please provided some cons/pros between the 2 options. Thank you

Regards,

Zer0Cool

Router on 3rd floor, if reception is still poor get an access point and put it in the basement (or a router if you also need wired connections there).

Maga, this was done a long time ago, and rewiring 8 ethernet connections to re-position the main router would take 2 long, thats why I was asking for advice between the 2 options....

Nobu, I will keep the main router in the basement,but I like the idea of an access point for the 3rd floor.

Im leaning towards the NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Access Point (WAC104) since I have the Netgear NightHawk Pro Gaming XR500 Router

Last edited:
AP hard wired on third(second) floor. also, the basement is the basement not the 1st floor. never got why builders put this shit in the basement, i guess easier for them.

Last edited:
AP hard wired on third floor. also, the basement is the basement not the 1st floor. never got why builders put this shit in the basement, i guess easier for them.

Fine for the router and modem to be out of sight, but the WiFi radios obviously should be placed better.

And yeah, use that line for an access point, which could be a router put into access point mode (or flashed to such).

These Unifi APs are cheap, reliable, and can be set up / managed with a phone using their app and the QR code on the device.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back