New router, firware, or smoothwall suggestions

juu801

n00b
I currently have a Netgear MR814 v1 wireless router. It connects to a Netgear Gigabit swith that has my file server and xbox on it. I haven't had a chance to run cable to my office upstairs so my main PC and my wife's laptop connect wirelessly to the router. Bit torrent traffic kills my router's WAN connection within hours. I run Azureus on my PC. From the forums I've read this is due to the firmware on the router or not being able to handle all the connections Bit torrent sets up or both. I have the latest firmware installed (4.14 RC4) In one forum I read someone said they had better luck with 4.09.

I'm debating whether I should try different version of the firmware, buy a different SOHO router, or see if I can get that old PC in the corner to work as a router (I think it has a PII in it). Since I don't have the cable run I need to have wireless access available. What would you do on a very limited budget. (Baby is on the way)

I forgot that Clarkconnect is capable of doing what I ask and that's what the file server is running. Hmmm....

Well according to this it sounds lit I would still have to pass my wireless Bit torrent traffic through the wireless router.

Also could the mod move this out into the Network and Security forum I just realized I put it in the wrong one.

Disable DHCP on the router after configuring ClarkConnect(Hook the cable/DSL modem to the Clark Connect box and to the LAN). Then, do not use the WAN port on the router for anything. This turn it into an access point with an integrated switch. Because it will not be doing any NAT, it will not have issues with torrents, the Linux box will take care of NAT.

Is it possible to switch Clarkconnect from standalone to gateway without reinstalling? My googling only returned people asking the same question.

Or would that PII in the corner be sufficient to throw smoothwall on it and use it in the scenario you descride above?

juu801 said:
Is it possible to switch Clarkconnect from standalone to gateway without reinstalling? My googling only returned people asking the same question.

Or would that PII in the corner be sufficient to throw smoothwall on it and use it in the scenario you descride above?

Never used ClarkConnect, so I don't know if it would require any serious work. As for the P2, it should be fine(Assuming it is 400MHz or better). Personally I prefer IPCop, but they are basically the same thing(IPCop is forked from Smoothwall, IIRC). I would go with 256MB of RAM at a minimum, I use 512MB on my P3 866 IPCop box. Even running torrents and hosting a 30-man LAN, it has never used more than 25% CPU and 100MB of RAM(not including buffered).

Yes it is possible to change Clarkconnect from gateway to standalone without a reinstall. Just bring up the web GUI and it's as easy as clicking the drop down box and selecting the mode you want.

The PII is only 350 MHz and only has 128 MB of RAM right now. I have RAM laying around somwhere but I decided to try my existing CC box instead. I was able to change the mode to gateway through the web configuration page. I opened the incoming ports for Bittorrent and Azureus. I've got everything up and running right now. I'll post back with my results.

Looks like that worked. I ran into a few speedbums but I think it's all worked out now. At first I had forgotten to change the smb.conf to use the second NIC. :rolleyes: And at one point when adding a torrent to Azureus it crapped out and would crash on load. Removing ~/.azureus and running through the initial setup again took care of that.
Before it carashed it had been running for two days straight with no bandwidth restricitions. That's about 1.5 days longer than the longest I was able to get it to run before that. Thanks for the help. :D

Back