New Rig setup 7970 x 3 and Sandybridge e 3930k

Nice I run the same resolution. Are you playing on max details (Except AA) in most games?

I would have to agree, I play in Portrait mode also. I did try to play in widescreen mode but I felt things not right when playing. Finally in portrait mode I feel immerse in the game.

....and you want to spend how much on video cards to play a $60.00 game? If your wife did not ding you about this she is a gem. BTW, where do you live? I want to drive a truck up to your place and get both your rig and wife. LOL just kidding.

I am considering upgrading my gaming rig. I use it for work also. As a daytrader I am running 14 monitors total over 3 other machines.

Did you guys check out the Hardocp editorial on AMD and their lackluster driver release for the 7970 series and how buggy those cards are right now?

Last edited:
Did you guys check out the Hardocp editorial on AMD and their lackluster driver release for the 7970 series and how buggy those cards are right now?

Do you actually own these cards and have any relevant information to comment on them? Didn't think so.

I DO in fact own them, 3 of them, in an X79 system and it's fantastic. For me, the drivers have been perfect and the setup flawless. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially sensational crap that Kyle likes to spew when he wants to increase pageviews. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Metro 2033 benchmark

Settings dx11
4800x2560
quality very high
AAA
AF 16X

•Total Frames: 2198, Total Time: 59.90579 sec
•Average Framerate: 36.79
•Max. Framerate: 134.16 (Frame: 1920)
•Min. Framerate: 4.33 (Frame: 1099)

Last night I found that playing Metro2033 didn't work well for me in Eyefinity at 5670x1080 resolution. Was getting like 1-5 fps with my three 6970's and the game menu stuttered a lot. Got better performance at 4800x900. Single screen 1920x1080 res the pictures aspect ratio was off and didn't look right. I read that you have to disable eyefinity for single screen gaming with Metro2033 and that the AMD team has stopped working on fine tuning the drivers for Metro2033. Its possible that there are still better framerates you could be getting if not for the drivers not supporting Eyefinity better than it already is...

Hope that is a helpful contribution..

Last edited:
Last night I found that playing Metro2033 didn't work well for me in Eyefinity at 5670x1080 resolution. Was getting like 1-5 fps with my three 6970's. Got better performance at 4800x900. Single screen 1920x1080 res the pictures aspect ratio was off and didn't look right. I read that you have to disable eyefinity for single screen gaming with Metro2033 and that the AMD team has stopped working on fine tuning the drivers for Metro2033. Its possible that there are still better framerates you could be getting if not for the drivers not supporting Eyefinity better than it already is...

Hope that is a helpful contribution..

I have also experienced the aspect ratio being off in game on a single monitor that you are talking about. I believe this to be a game issue (Metro never had great eyefinity/surround support). Other major problems with Metro 2033 in eyefinity/surround include mouse sensitivity being 3x speed horizontally. Did you monitor your vram usage with afterburner? That sounds like you may be maxing out your framebuffer.

Now from over here your original post does not really appear to contain any actual content. I can only deduce it's either an attempt to troll or insult the op's purchase.

The proper channel to discuss the article is probably here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1666851

I wasn't trying to knock, troll, insult, disparage, or throw stones at any of your way off assumptions. Just making conversation as I was wondering if the OP was also experiencing any of the mentioned issues. Your assumptions were way off!

I have also experienced the aspect ratio being off in game on a single monitor that you are talking about. I believe this to be a game issue (Metro never had great eyefinity/surround support). Other major problems with Metro 2033 in eyefinity/surround include mouse sensitivity being 3x speed horizontally. Did you monitor your vram usage with afterburner? That sounds like you may be maxing out your framebuffer.

I didn't check the framebuffer but I was using Afterburner to monitor my gpu utilization and all three gpus were being used at 85-98 percent at all other resolutions besides 5670x1080 which didn't work at all. I believe its bugged. Maybe its the framebuffer being maxed but 4800x900 works good at least and I can play Crysis 2 at 5670x1080 without issue at the Excellent graphic setting.

Thanks.

I didn't check the framebuffer but I was using Afterburner to monitor my gpu utilization and all three gpus were being used at 85-98 percent at all other resolutions besides 5670x1080 which didn't work at all. I believe its bugged. Maybe its the framebuffer being maxed but 4800x900 works good at least and I can play Crysis 2 at 5670x1080 without issue at the Excellent graphic setting.

Thanks.

I just checked mine, as that really does sound like a textbook framebuffer wall.

very high, 5760x1080, 4x MSAA, 16x Aniso, DX 11 effects on: Definitely vram limited, hitting 1.9GB+ or so and below 5fps

normal settings, 5760x1080, AAA, 16x Aniso, DX11 DoF Off, Tessellation on: >50-fps and very playable. ~1.2GB vram usage. These are the settings that I find most playable for eyefinity on my 2x 6950's. High is also playable, but I prefer to be closer to 60fps.

The mouse acceleration problem still exists.

fomoz n00bie SAID:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcforde View Post
....and you want to spend how much on video cards to play a $60.00 game?
LOL, are you for real? I spent $5,000 on a DAC/preamp and 2.1 active speaker setup to listen to a $1.99 music track!

I was playing the part of most wives in that post. I have in the past snuck computer stuff into the house and installed it before the deed could be discovered. Otherwise an equal amount of stuff is wanted like new appliances when the ones we have are only 2-3 years old.

Do you actually own these cards and have any relevant information to comment on them? Didn't think so.

I DO in fact own them, 3 of them, in an X79 system and it's fantastic. For me, the drivers have been perfect and the setup flawless. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially sensational crap that Kyle likes to spew when he wants to increase pageviews. :rolleyes:

Really? You think Kyle writes uninformed articles just to get this site more attention? Do you realize that allot of people who own multiple 7970s have had a vastly different experience that you have had? I commend Kyle for standing up and saying something. We have all been part of this site (most of us for 10+ years now) and come here for allot of valuable news and information, both from the community and from Kyle himself. Talking shit about him because he has a conflicting opinion to yours is bullshit. I was going to buy 2 7970s for my rig and I am waiting for the "new" driver release to see what performance people get in Crossfire and Eyefinity. I was on the verge of spending the $1100 and I am glad I read his article because it tipped my final decision to NOT buy the cards, this is after days of reading reviews and posts on multiple forums. Fact is that Kyle has a great relationship with AMD and if they wont even bother to give him more info then it leads me to believe that there is a bigger problem with the driver side of AMD products... Nuff said

Last edited:
*fist bump* . I'm with you on that!

My wife never care what I get for my computer. It is just an understood. I get what I want when it comes to Computer stuff. She always gets my old stuff so its not like it is even old and she always has a smoking RIG.

She is the best wife ever. She also got me a Ducati 1098 for my birthday a few years ago.
Love that bike.....

Now I need to let her know the Ducati 1199 has come to market.

fomoz n00bie SAID:

I was playing the part of most wives in that post. I have in the past snuck computer stuff into the house and installed it before the deed could be discovered. Otherwise an equal amount of stuff is wanted like new appliances when the ones we have are only 2-3 years old.
LOL it still makes as much sense as buying a $4,000 stove to cook a $20 roast or a $650 smartphone to install $1 apps.

Ditto on the wife lettering me get what I want for my computer. She know's I like nice stuff & am an early adopter but am SUPER cheap. Call me a [H]ardcore scrooge who likes really nice computers :) - The reason I have been reading this site for about a decade now is because I am a research fiend. :)

Plus she doesnt have to work, so she doesnt give me crap about it.

@APPA
Yea and on bashing Kyle, I agree, it may have worked great for you but it definitely sounds like YMMV on it working well for everyone else.

@BostonHXC
Ditto his article gave me pause, so I will TRY and wait, hopefully a TwinFrozr type model hits market soon... all the buzz of 7970 if KILLING me... :)

Back