New rig, could a dually be good?

dguy6789

n00b
Ok, im building a new rig that im not gonna upgrade again for 3 or so years so it has to be good, and im ona 2 grand budget. No overclocking.

Here is what i was thinkin

Athlon 64 3800+
GF 6800U
1GB PC3200
250GB Harddrive
52x32x52x16 DVD/CDRW combo drive
Abit AV8 mainboard
and various case psu and such comes to 2 grand

Then i though, why not this

2 AMD Athlon MP 2800+
GF 6800U
2GB of memory
250GB harddrive
same cd and same rest stuff

I could get either system, the athlon 64 would be better in games do to faster singple cpu, but the dually would have 2 cpus, and double the ram.

My question is, how badly would the video card be held back by using the dually system?

An XP dual board will not be worth it unless youre going to overclock

But dually to single, what are you doing? If a single very fast processor will be more benefit than dual (what apps?) then you are better with the A64.

I game, but i also like ot do alot of things at once, Burn a cd, make cd images, host game servers while playing idfferent games at the same time.

It was doing this ok with my last rig, which was an xp 2600 with a rad 9600 pro with 512MB ram, but i want to do lots of stuff seamlessly and have a good gaming system.

well again, its going to not really compare to the A64 90% of the time unless you overclock the dually. two 2600+-mobiles will hit 2.5 ghz each, that will be a fearsome system.

I'd go with a dual opteron board and get the fastest single opteron you could afford and put in it.

Fill it up with Ram and then get another opteron processor to match it later.

I wouldn't go Socket A anything really.

dguy6789 said:
Ok, im building a new rig that im not gonna upgrade again for 3 or so years so it has to be good, and im ona 2 grand budget. No overclocking.
Prices based on PriceWatch.com

MSI K8T Master2 FAR (MS-9130) = $215
Opteron 244 1.8GHz x 2 = $601
Kingston ValueRam PC3200 DDR400 512MB ECC Reg (KVR400X72RC3A/512D) x 4 = $480
Gainward PowerPack! Ultra2100 GF6800 128MB Golded Sample = $311
Total = $1607!!!

That leaves you with just under $400 to get HDD, CD/DVD/RW, case, PSU, etc... Or you can blow a little more on the CPU or RAM or whatever. ;)

well, when talking about a system like that your gonna have to have a good PSU, either antec 480 or more. 89$

hard drive: no point in not having a raptor with a system like that (111$ for 36gb, 179$ for 74gb).

Plus the storage drive so minus about another 180$ for a 250gb

case: got to have a good case for a banging system like that. 100-150$

dvd drive/burner: a good standard one will cost about another 90$, unless you just want to watch dvd's and not burn them. In that case its about 50$.

so you see 400$ doesnt go far when talking about about latest equipment.

As has been said above, if you are going dual, GO OPTERON. Even the 244s will whoop the 2800+ MPs in most anything (including games). Heck, the 244 is clocked at 1.8GHz or basically 3000+ in A64 terms.

Anyway, I just finished an ~80 page report about dual Xeons at 2.4GHz vs. dual Opteron 242s in a very high end statistical application. Long story short, the Opterons won nearly every experiment. :eek:

dguy6789 said:
I game, but i also like ot do alot of things at once, Burn a cd, make cd images, host game servers while playing idfferent games at the same time.

It was doing this ok with my last rig, which was an xp 2600 with a rad 9600 pro with 512MB ram, but i want to do lots of stuff seamlessly and have a good gaming system.

I'm not in the gaming scene anymore, but one of the biggest problems was the lack of support for SMP systems in games (and applications, for that matter).

AACI_CIO said:
As has been said above, if you are going dual, GO OPTERON. Even the 244s will whoop the 2800+ MPs in most anything (including games). Heck, the 244 is clocked at 1.8GHz or basically 3000+ in A64 terms.

Anyway, I just finished an ~80 page report about dual Xeons at 2.4GHz vs. dual Opteron 242s in a very high end statistical application. Long story short, the Opterons won nearly every experiment. :eek:

If the Xeons can't beat it, the Athlon MPs sure won't either.

Back