New Rift Users: included OculusMirror.exe shows whats on HMD.

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
Many programs I have tried so far will give you some idea of what is being show on the Rift, but some like Google Earth VR just show a splash screen on the desktop while running the program. When trying to explain to other people whats going on or give instructions you might want to be able to see on the desktop what is being seen on HMD.

Go to the following and run the executable.

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe

The Oculus Mirror executable can be left open and it will just switch as different things are displayed on the HMD, including the lobby.

One thing you will probably notice is that people do not look straight at things, generally I have found the Rift to be aimed slightly below what people are focusing their attention at. So I have to tell people to tilt up just a bit so I can see what they are reading or something.

I set a shortcut on the desktop, the Oculus Mirror program has no built-in icon and I didn't want to use the same Oculus icon, so I made a icon for it that is drastically different from the Oculus one (and easy to tell someone to look for).

Click the image to get the .ICO file.

I should add, I do not know if this is a Oculus "store" only program....meaning whether it will show stuff started outside the store, like Steam. Also I read some conflicting reports that this would show things all distorted. As of the time I am posting this, what you see looks like normal display on 2D monitor. It's not birds eye or anything weird.

Thanks. Still waiting for my HMD to ship. Does this display what you see as a smooth video, or is it a strobing screenshot update.

Thanks. Still waiting for my HMD to ship. Does this display what you see as a smooth video, or is it a strobing screenshot update.

It's smooth gameplay, usually in a flat 2D projection (so it looks right on a monitor). On "Toy Box" (included demo type game) it has the birds eye look.

Back