New Rev Game - "Sadness"

Oooo, I like that art style. But isn't this like the 3rd game NIBRIS has announced? Sounds kinda fishy.

skittzle said:
King Kong for the 360 has the option to play in B&W.
I think this will be different. B&W from the ground up is WAY harder than just dropping the color to grey-scale. You have to light and tone (tone, not color ;) ) things really well.

You can't take a film and make it B&W. Imagine if Hitchcock made a film in color and just made it black and white in post? It would look all wrong.

If this game actually comes to fruition more power to the Revolution.
an adult horror/survival/adventure title would at least knock the
it's for little kids group back..
I am sure this is a artist rendering or concept art..
If I am wrong someone please let me know..
RevSadnessArt1.jpg

I am sure that's concept. BUT you can render a game like that in realtime, just that no one has yet.

HEARS A TIP, THIS IS HOW YOU CAN PLAY ALL GAMES IN BLACK AND WHITE

shhh just turn the color setting on your tv all the way down shhhh

paranoia4422 said:
HEARS A TIP, THIS IS HOW YOU CAN PLAY ALL GAMES IN BLACK AND WHITE

shhh just turn the color setting on your tv all the way down shhhh

Well, I don't know about LCD's...or other TVs

But, CRTs can be a PAIN IN THE ASS to get a perfect colour balance. Then to go and fuck that up for one game? No thanks.

Designer said:
All I can say now is that it [Sadness] is going to be a gothic horror which will scare not with the amount of blood but sheer atmosphere. Imagine a game in which you do not use guns or knives but you will have to protect yourself with the objects you find exploring the ground – a stone, a stick, etc. Some examples of using the controller – you swing a torch with it to scare the rats off, you slit the throat (controller as a piece of glass of a knife); if you want to climb the wall you will have to hook a rope over the piece of a wall sticking out (controller serving as a lasso). And this is only the beginning. The game will be for single player and single player only. For an adult player with strong nerves. Let me mention that the scenario will have associations with narcolepsy, nyctophobia and paranoid schizophrenia. The scenario will surprise you.”

Yah the game sure sounds like shit... /sarcasm
If it comes to fruition, I will be purchasing it. Balls like these NIBRIS guys have should be rewarded, provided a publisher picks them up.

Terrible idea. I won't even watch a black and white movie...let alone play a game in black and white.

xenogears said:
Terrible idea. I won't even watch a black and white movie...let alone play a game in black and white.
And people ask for something new...
:rolleyes: I'm sure you've seen Sin City, although there were color elements, it's B&W. This game has style, and I'll pick it up just for that.

Pretty much every game is rendered in the same style: diff color, high contrasty, spec maps, normal/parallax map, some HDRI and predictable use of shaders.

Alternative drawing/rendering styles and lighting will be the next big thing devs have to tackle. But they most likely won't till someone else does it first and becomes rich from it.

Lamont said:
I'm sure you've seen Sin City, although there were color elements, it's B&W. This game has style, and I'll pick it up just for that.

Actually no I didn't see sin city, the look of the movie turned me off.

xenogears said:
So good to see open minds here in the forums. :rolleyes: On topic though this looks slick, if the final game looks any thing like the image posted above, i'll be very excited to hear more about this title.

cb9fl said:
It's a good movie .. but I would have made that bitch scream.

Isn't that just a worthy contribution to this thread :rolleyes:
This developer still needs a publisher, and they still don't have real screens for this game since they only still have a Gamecube dev kit. That said, they're loaded with great ideas and a lot of potential, so a publisher had better pick them up :D

I didn't spend thousands on a flat panel to play in black and white. I HATE black and white.

What where they thinking?

Firewall said:
I didn't spend thousands on a flat panel to play in black and white. I HATE black and white.

What where they thinking?
They were thinking they would make a visualy interesting game? Why do so many people seem to reflexively hate anything that departs form the norm?

Firewall has displayed that behaviour in multiple threads. It's not something that's confined to his realm, however... almost everyone hates something that's not "the norm", or in this case "like everything else". It takes something very well done to convince them otherwise... be it things like Revmotes, black and white movies/games, or even just games that aren't GTA clones and generic FPS titles that actually turn out to be good. This may be one of them, if it ever comes to fruition. It may not. But to dismiss it simply because an artistic choice was made would be similar to dismissing a fun game because it doesn't have 'amazing graffix!!!!!!!!#!#!#!". If it's a good game, who cares what it looks like.

steviep said:
Firewall has displayed that behaviour in multiple threads. It's not something that's confined to his realm, however... almost everyone hates something that's not "the norm", or in this case "like everything else". It takes something very well done to convince them otherwise... be it things like Revmotes, black and white movies/games, or even just games that aren't GTA clones and generic FPS titles that actually turn out to be good. This may be one of them, if it ever comes to fruition. It may not. But to dismiss it simply because an artistic choice was made would be similar to dismissing a fun game because it doesn't have 'amazing graffix!!!!!!!!#!#!#!". If it's a good game, who cares what it looks like.

It has nothing to do with graphics. It is in BLACK AND WHITE. As I said, I hate black and white.

It's 2006, I'm not going watch or play anything in black and white unless it is the three stooges!

I love how you sit there and say things like "gta clones and fps" when all nintendo does is put out mario rehashes.

You just want to push me. I have openly stated I'm interested in buying a Rev. I will not, however, buy a Rev game that is in black and white.

Stop putting words in my mouth!

Aside from Mario Party (which Nintendo doesn't put out) please name all of the Mario rehashes :rolleyes:

Oh, and please watch Schindler's List and Sin City :D

Forgot about sin city....

ok ok, I'll put up with three stooges and T & A in black and white hehe.

I think that this could turn out to be very cool. I too tend to shy away from black and white movies because it strains my eyes, but if they get the contrast ratios right it shouldn't be a problem here. But I do think it's a little sad that there's this attitude of "black and white is so 1950's there's no way I would play this."

xenogears said:

Thats too bad. Its probably one of the best looking movies to come out in a long time.

Sin City's black and white wasn't just black and white... it was properly done (see the Alfred Hitchcock example earlier in this thread). Schindler's List won multiple academy awards. The Stooges are still hysterical. Point?

Slartibartfast said:
nah, that takes away from the artistry of it.

QFT

I'm guessing this game will be beautiful and will present a new aproach...
It'll be very interesting to see what kind of effect the game will produce upon the player's interest.

Sad to see people that don't even care to think about it before thrashing it... :(

Slartibartfast said:
nah, that takes away from the artistry of it.
Exactly, It's like complaining that The Scream isn't rendered sharply enough. Or that the Mona Lisa doesn't have a labret. Or that the Sistine Chapel needs some space marines stomping some aliens.

Firewall said:
It has nothing to do with graphics. It is in BLACK AND WHITE. As I said, I hate black and white.
::Raises hand:: But you said and I quote "It has nothing to do with graphics." but the graphical direction of the game is black and white... so.. wha.. but you... wait.. uhmmm... didn't you say...?

I just had to prod you on that buddy :) . You make me mega ROFL.

The King of Pants said:
Or that the Sistine Chapel needs some space marines stomping some aliens.
Everything needs moar space marines.

Lamont said:
Everything needs moar space marines.

Victoria's Secret Presents: the new space marine collection

Space Marine Marital Aides: they're out of this world!

The new Space Marine Can Opener: why open a can when you can blow it up?

Space Marine Bedsheets: not just for your 10 year old anymore

Back