New Research Shows That Owning an iPhone Is the Most Common Sign of Wealth

Android phones are for poor people and irrational Apple haters

Android phones are rational people who don't like paying the Apple tax, prefer choices, don't like being restricted with what apps they can load, or prefer the ability to add their own storage and to use a headphone jack.

Apple phones are for people who have more money than sense, or can't figure out how to use something unless the user interface has been dumbed as much as possible.

We are the elites. The Super Elite!
We got more money and nicer boats! More brains, and better houses too!

adsgads.jpg

This is nonsense, they probably didn't check a wide range of brands.

I can easily posit brands that are probably better indicators of high income:

Leerjet
Gulfstream
Lamborghini
Rolls Royce
Tesla
Rolex
Brooks Brothers
Intel Core i9
AMD Threadripper
Barret (the firearm company)
Sony XBR

and the list goes on and on.

panhandlers in Tulsa begging for change have iphones in t-town
Panhandling is an organized business. Here in Arizona, they have handlers who drive around dropping off food and water to them, and periodically collecting the take-- for safe-keeping I imagine.

This is entirely overblown... the difference between android and Apple is 17% (59% vs 69%). Put it another way. If you had a group of 11 "high income" people, 6 would have iphones and 5 would have androids... That doesn't sound very significant to me.

I'm surprised the difference isnt greater considering the average selling price for Apple is about double that of Android phones in general. That said, the top 25% own 85% of the wealth in the US. This study actually only shows that for people who can afford both there is a slight preference for Apple.

EDIT: Some interesting facts I discovered while poking about. Samsung and Apple have about the same market share in the us (each about 35% as of 12/2017). Also about 1/3 of the US doesn't have a smartphone at all whether its because they can't afford it or some other reason.

Last edited:
lol what? because you have a trinket, you are wealthy?

Logic would suggest that if you

1. have no house payment
2. paid cash for your personal jet (gotta love those TV ministers lol)
3. own your cars outright
4. have no CC debt.

Then you might be

A. Really good with what money you have
or
B. wealthy

A sign of wealth when any moron can sign his name on a piece of paper and get a subsidized iPhone.

Hurr Durr look at me guise! I'm a millionaire!

Really...........
My wife's LG V10 died and since it was an old phone we went to the Verizon store to look for an upgrade. After the hard sell from Mr Apple (he had an iphone on his hip and an Apple watch). I told him "Look; here is what I'm gonna do. I'll give my V10 to her and I'll buy a basic phone that suits my needs. He got indignant ant said "WELL, you can't get a descent smart phone for less than $600."
I looked him right in the eye and and laughed at him; then we got up and walked out. My take away from all that was likely most people walk into those store and believe what they are told by those hipster sales people like it is gospel. They pay twice or more what a phone should cost.
I ended giving my V10 to the wife, swapped SIMM card; and ordered a Motorola Moto G Plus v5 for $240 from Amazon. Unlocked, works on GSM and CDMA. Rockin phone. Used it for a week for a wifi hot spot while on vacation.

Really...........
My wife's LG V10 died and since it was an old phone we went to the Verizon store to look for an upgrade. After the hard sell from Mr Apple (he had an iphone on his hip and an Apple watch). I told him "Look; here is what I'm gonna do. I'll give my V10 to her and I'll buy a basic phone that suits my needs. He got indignant ant said "WELL, you can't get a descent smart phone for less than $600."
I looked him right in the eye and and laughed at him; then we got up and walked out. My take away from all that was likely most people walk into those store and believe what they are told by those hipster sales people like it is gospel. They pay twice or more what a phone should cost.
I ended giving my V10 to the wife, swapped SIMM card; and ordered a Motorola Moto G Plus v5 for $240 from Amazon. Unlocked, works on GSM and CDMA. Rockin phone. Used it for a week for a wifi hot spot while on vacation.

I got the exact same spiel from Sprint before I canned them as my provider. The sales folks were making a concerted effort to push me towards a $700 Samsung S4 or iPhone, insisting that either would be the only phones that would meet my needs.

My last phone purchase was an unlocked ZTE Axon 7 right from Amazon for $370 shipped with Prime. Aside from the unremovable battery, it's been my favorite phone, so far (replaced an LG G3 that was my favorite phone, but died).

I'm the one laughing all the way to the bank, for a change...

Android phones are rational people who don't like paying the Apple tax, prefer choices, don't like being restricted with what apps they can load, or prefer the ability to add their own storage and to use a headphone jack.

Apple phones are for people who have more money than sense, or can't figure out how to use something unless the user interface has been dumbed as much as possible.

So in sum, you fall into the irrational Apple hater category.

Actually a possession of a device isn't going to be any indicator of wealth.
#1 If you have debt of any kind your not wealthy.
#2 If your phone indicates you are wealthy, you're not.
#3 The number of possessions you have don't indicated your wealth, and in fact may indicate how much in debt you are.

In reality this is just a click bait article for someone to stir up shit or try to make themselves feel rich.

It's quite the opposite. Usually people that are wealthy do not own a lot of luxury items & live simple lives. There's a big difference between being wealthy and being rich. Rich people usually have massive debt and flaunt their personal possessions.

dude. 69% CHANCE is not a whole lot. These big numbers are only used to confuse.

that's just slightly over random yes/no 50/50 chance.
"may or may not be wealthy" = 50% chance.

If you only accounted for the upper middle class upwards, you would get 69% chance.
The data is based on 75th percentile household income, which is a combined ~$100,000.

So this is saying that there's a somewhat better than random chance that an iphone owner will have a combined household income over $100k.

Last edited:
So in sum, you fall into the irrational Apple hater category.

Nothing irrational about wanting a phone with an easily replaceable battery, the ability to cheaply expand the storage, and a headphone jack.

What's irrational is buying an $800+ phone you really can't afford on credit, and being locked into a walled garden with a dumbed down GUI, or having to replace your phone if you need more storage.

It's quite the opposite. Usually people that are wealthy do not own a lot of luxury items & live simple lives. There's a big difference between being wealthy and being rich. Rich people usually have massive debt and flaunt their personal possessions.

This is more true than most people realize.

Years ago there was a book about the millionaire next door.
It pointed out that the wealthiest person in you neighborhood is usually NOT the person with the fancy cars, or the biggest house, it's the older couple living in the modest house down the street driving 10 year old cars.

It's not how much you earn, it's how much you keep (save).

This is more true than most people realize.
Years ago there was a book about the millionaire next door.
It pointed out that the wealthiest person in you neighborhood is usually NOT the person with the fancy cars, or the biggest house, it's the older couple living in the modest house down the street driving 10 year old cars.
It's not how much you earn, it's how much you keep (save).

I was about to make this same point. Similar book was Rich dad, poor dad.
The mistake most of us make (because our parents, school, etc teach us this) is we have a backward idea of what is a asset and what is a liability.
Must of us think our assets things like our home, our car etc. In fact these are our greatest liabilities. If it COSTS you money, it is a liability, not an asset.
A real asset is things that MAKE money for you. Like your job. Also like rental property you own, or businesses you own.
We get caught in a cycle of maintaining and increasing the liabilities in our life instead of freeing ourselves from them and investing in assets.

Rich or poor they are still going to inevitably bounce it off a tile floor or concrete sidewalk and say bye bye to that $1000...

I am pretty sure phones have become MORE expensive in the years not cheaper.

Additionally, the research paper says it's only a 69% chance. That's pretty close to a 50/50 shot that the person is "wealthy" but it doesn't exactly define wealthy so who knows what amount of income you need to be considered wealthy.

Exactly. what is the null here? it seems so many articles trying to use some kind of statics to prove a point has no grasp of statistics

reminds me of the articles they said that 53% of people could correctly determine 24/96 audio above the 16/44. so offcause its must be a huge effect sinces 53% could hear it.
completely negating that 50% is complete randoms and "NULL" due to the way they tested (Forced choice)
Nothing but noise in statistics...

On average Richer people buy more stuff that is more expensive on average. Shocker. Also a good portion do it because they can because attempting to get the best value even if you pay as much makes you look cheap.

I have a feeling these results are heavily skewed by a couple large markets, especially China. Having an iPhone in China could be a sign of wealth. In the USA, these findings would be incredibly inaccurate, as every phone carrier subsidizes and you can get a brand new iPhone for free just about any day of the week.

I was about to make this same point. Similar book was Rich dad, poor dad.
The mistake most of us make (because our parents, school, etc teach us this) is we have a backward idea of what is a asset and what is a liability.
Must of us think our assets things like our home, our car etc. In fact these are our greatest liabilities. If it COSTS you money, it is a liability, not an asset.
A real asset is things that MAKE money for you. Like your job. Also like rental property you own, or businesses you own.
We get caught in a cycle of maintaining and increasing the liabilities in our life instead of freeing ourselves from them and investing in assets.

I'd agree that a car is a liability, but a house is both.

Even though you could consider it a liability since it costs money (maintenance, taxes, etc.), it's also an asset in that it's a place to live, and it generally goes up in value (making you money).

The old method of buying a home with a fixed mortgage rate and paying it off before you retired, provided a secure retirement for many people due to the low housing costs.

Now days too many people move too often, buy more house than they can really afford, or refinance and pull money out every few years.
Then they can't afford to retire since they still having house payments.
You also have the high property taxes and association fees that make this a problem even if the house is paid for.

Just like those studies showing tobacco is good for you and that fluoride is a great way to dump toxic waste treat drinking water so your teeth don't evaporate overnight.

Back