New Ram causing Motherboard whine on an x58

Langly

Supreme [H]ardness
Just picked up 3x4gbs of the Corsair Vengeance ram to replace my gskill shit that would randomly stop reading a Dimm if I rebooted. Ram was cheap so I said lets dump gskill and go back to corsair which I trust.

Well after tweaking things on my overclock back to stock settings and installing the new ram, my mobo decided it wants to do the x58 whine with the new ram.

Is there any recourse for this? I have a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R and I honestly hate this motherboard with a passion. I wouldn't be sad if I had to go buy an asus board for my i7 930 to try my luck with.

Also my overclock doesn't work with the new ram :(. Kinda bummed about that as I really really HATE this motherboards bios and features. I am probably already sold its time to replace it. Last gigabyte purchase for me, thats for sure.

If it makes you feel better, my Z68XP-UD4 whines and I have 1600Mhz corsair vengeance ram... goes away if I turn off c6 states though. I'll prolly rma soon...

That board is bad. Whining usually takes place when there is an uncertain amount of stress going through some of the electrical components on the motherboard, possibly a choke or capacitor. It happens to me and my board when I do Linpack stress test's. Whines like a bitch.

My old board had the same problem and I fixed it by replacing the electrolytic cap with a Solid low ESR capacitor which fixed the major whining problems I was experiencing.

Why not wite to Gigabyte Service center, I guess they have the solution on this whining issue.

It happens to me and my board when I do Linpack stress test's. Whines like a bitch.

I always thought this was normal under high stress. I have always had a whine coming from the computer when running a PSU stress test in OCCT. I just assumed it was a normal process when under extreme load. I also have a Seasonic PSU that whned under heavy load in my storage PC but it hasn't had a hickup in years.

I always thought this was normal under high stress. I have always had a whine coming from the computer when running a PSU stress test in OCCT. I just assumed it was a normal process when under extreme load. I also have a Seasonic PSU that whned under heavy load in my storage PC but it hasn't had a hickup in years.

Yeah most of the whining comes from the rattling inside certain electrical components when an obsessive amount of current go through them for whatever reasons, you'll notice it a lot with applications that put stress on your system such as certain games, stress test applications even whining from nearby northbridge cap's because you overclocked your system or changed your RAM. Whining is all voltage related. It is normal, as I learnt some of this off another [H] member by the name of BillParish.

Only shitty thing, is my board is at stock settings with my ram and i7 930. Still have the whine with windows sitting there doing nothing. I'm gonna contact gigabyte and see if they will rma the board.

Back