New RAGE Vid - Behind the scene at id software

Its too bad they are toting best looking game on console. ID use to be about the best looking and playing games on PC. Makes sense though-- consoles are where the money is at. Here is hoping that Carmack sticks to his roots and the PC version doesn't come out butchered.

Well hopefully id is putting all thier PC programing behind Doom ]ll[, should get a nice preview of that new game at next months QuakeCon.

You're all misinterpreting what these guys are talking about. They are proud of the best looking console game. Whats wrong with that? It means they really crunched and squeezed every last drop out of those crappy console specs. Pretty triumphant. And the pc game will look even better. How is that a bad thing? Not to mention, future products (doom4, quake5) will be pc focused based on interviews lately.

If I do get this game I will probably get it for the 360, since that is the platform it's developed for. Besides I could use an excuse to fire up the old console and my craigslist crt hdtv it is hooked up to.

I really hope they can bring a bit more eye candy to the PC to remain relevant in a market that's on the verge of busting through into DX11 use.

I did watch the other id video where Carmack said he regretted not putting the PC first, I think that's a hard learned lesson with such long development times, hopefully whatever they do next they will target for PC primarily and port back to consoles, it's way easier to do.

I really hope they can bring a bit more eye candy to the PC to remain relevant in a market that's on the verge of busting through into DX11 use.

I did watch the other id video where Carmack said he regretted not putting the PC first, I think that's a hard learned lesson with such long development times, hopefully whatever they do next they will target for PC primarily and port back to consoles, it's way easier to do.

Especially considering the outright stagnation we're headed for by the console scene sitting on long in the tooth hardware.

Looks like a console game.

Well at least we know that id, hopefully, should be able to do a competent port to the PC. :p

You're all misinterpreting what these guys are talking about. They are proud of the best looking console game. Whats wrong with that? It means they really crunched and squeezed every last drop out of those crappy console specs. Pretty triumphant. And the pc game will look even better. How is that a bad thing? Not to mention, future products (doom4, quake5) will be pc focused based on interviews lately.

Yep. Agreed.

Doom 4 has been in development for years now, so it's probably safe to assume it is console-focused as well.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing since Doom 3 was a corridor shooter, which is the most console-friendly of the FPS types. Doom 4 shouldn't suffer in terms of game design because of any console-specific focus since it has never been about huge open play areas.

I haven't had time to read up on it, does anyone know how much of the game is driving vs. combat?
I don't mind the driving parts, but I would prefer if it was something like 20:80 in favor of combat.

I haven't had time to read up on it, does anyone know how much of the game is driving vs. combat?
I don't mind the driving parts, but I would prefer if it was something like 20:80 in favor of combat.

From prior interviews with Tim, he mentioned you can skip through car sections related to getting from one place to the other.

I had no idea what this game was about. All I knew was Blake Griffin wanted to be in this game. LOL

Looks awesome though. Thanks for sharing.

This game honestly looks like a carbon copy of Borderlands. Am I the only one that sees this?

Hope the gameplay is a good as they claim. If a game has solid, non-repetitive and immersive gameplay, graphics take a back seat.

This game honestly looks like a carbon copy of Borderlands. Am I the only one that sees this?

Keep in mind that Rage has been in development since before Borderlands. That said, the only similar thing I see is the post-apocalyptic timeline, but that is shared with lots of games. Graphics, story, and gameplay doesn't seem similar to me at all.

Hope the gameplay is a good as they claim. If a game has solid, non-repetitive and immersive gameplay, graphics take a back seat.

It's hard to tell for sure with just videos and such but it SEEMS like the gameplay is definitely going to deliver, at least from where I'm sitting.

Keep in mind that Rage has been in development since before Borderlands. That said, the only similar thing I see is the post-apocalyptic timeline, but that is shared with lots of games. Graphics, story, and gameplay doesn't seem similar to me at all.

Agreed. Does RAGE use cell shading? Takes place on an alien world? Didn't think so. This game looks to be a beast all its own, and it's been too long since id has put out a game (7! years) so I'm itching to play come October.

It's a console game. Enough said.

That happens to take advantage of multi-core CPUs and lots of RAM, IIRC. Uh huh. We shall see upon release. I'll save the rest of my thoughts till then.

You look Carmack's interview, and you hear this easily understandable facts, yet you can't miss the guy is fucking brilliant.

I have no doubt his console game will be more PC like, and more enjoyable on PC then most of so called "designed for PC" games.

Love the taste of OpenGL, can't wait for this to come out.:)

Back