New RAGE Vid - Behind the scene at id software

looking forward to it to, but not expecting too much.

It was neat to see snippits of the dev kits/tools they used... I'm mostly interested in modding, always have been.

anyone else notice that bad guy just standing there as you walk in front of him... ugh, what did that guy have too much ramen or somethin, or does the ai stink?

of course they say it's the best looking console game, but I'm more interested in seeing if their claim of 60fps stays true. If it drops to 59 for even a split second THEIR HEADS WILL ROLL!!! MWAAAHAHAAAA :D

wow wow wow can't wait. and no carmack isn't old. he looks skinnier and younger.

Carmack already said this is a console first title sadly, regretted not developing it for PCs first.
He admitted it from the beginning, that's all I ask and will give it a try.

John Carmack @ 4:00 said:
We are arguably the best looking games on the consoles....

....Top of the line console graphics

Hooray. "Best thing id has ever done." FML.

Normally I would be excited for whatever Carmack brings out, but I can't say that i'm looking foward to RAGE at this time after all of the post apocalyptic shooters that have been released recently. Having seen all of the new videos and trailers, it doesn't appear to look like anything special other than a shooter with console leanings. This game doesn't even look like it is going to push our systems very hard, although he sure as hell better not bork multiple GPU support like so many other games have done at launch.

As for me, i'm really looking foward to Doom 4 more than anything else. Carmack said in an interview a long time ago that Doom 4 is going to push several times the detail of RAGE and that it is going to really push the systems that will be out when it is released. It is about time for another Doom game anyway.

As for me, i'm really looking foward to Doom 4 more than anything else. Carmack said in an interview a long time ago that Doom 4 is going to push several times the detail of RAGE and that it is going to really push the systems that will be out when it is released. It is about time for another Doom game anyway.

Ditto. I hope ID goes back to their roots and make the new Doom like the old Doom. I don't want to see none of this nonsense where there are only several enemies on the screen at once, ala Doom 3. I want to see tons of enemies onscreen at once and crazy level designs.

I really liked doom 3 :/ but yea if you want to play old school style fps games
try Serious Sam HD

I really liked doom 3 :/ but yea if you want to play old school style fps games
try Serious Sam HD

I have played the Serious Sam HD's and love them to death, but I would love to see Doom 4 go back to its roots. :) I know some may feel that's going backwards, but for me, I love that style of gameplay.

There is a lot of self-celebratory rubbish in that video. It's like Id is begging gamers to still consider Carmack & Co relevant when Rage is quite clearly not revolutionary in either graphics or gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Rage, but the talking up of the game by Id is definitely more desperate than the usual "our game is cool" developer interview BS.

There is a lot of self-celebratory rubbish in that video. It's like Id is begging gamers to still consider Carmack & Co relevant when Rage is quite clearly not revolutionary in either graphics or gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to Rage, but the talking up of the game by Id is definitely more desperate than the usual "our game is cool" developer interview BS.

/yawn

oh you are so smart

I'm up and down about this game. I see one video and I think it has amazing graphics and fun gameplay. i see another and it looks boring with ok graphics. Graphically this game looked amazing when I first saw it 2009 but it just looking very good now.

Just watching the video and its an astonishing technical achievement to get 60fps on consoles with those graphics but you got to admit ID has shitty artists.

you got to admit ID has shitty artists.

I think id has great artists, it's the gameplay folks who need a fire under their ass... Tim Willits is too gushy about everything too, he needs to be humbled and get some new guys/gals to make the actual game more fun...

IMO of course

/yawn

oh you are so smart

He's contributed a hell of a lot more to the thread than you have.

I personally can't wait for this game. I'm not expecting the Second Coming...I never do...but I'm expecting something pretty damned good.

Eh, IMO I think they can self-celebrate only if they are humble while doing so. Carmack is as humble as they come. I think they're proud of their roots - and they should be. But as Youn said, if anything Tim needs to take a chill pill. I think they're touting the awesome advance that mega-texture tech brings. I mean, how cool is it that designers can do their thing on a machine without dragging a system down? That's really neat.

And, I don't think id is begging anyone to consider themselves as relevant, I just think you're reading into the interview. No, RAGE won't be a revolution, but what game has been as of recently...I'd say nearly none. We're getting older and with that comes years of experience, so we get a little jaded about what we see. It's a challenge for any developer to create new and interesting ideas, let alone engage the user. This is especially true for FPS developers.

Anyways, I know I'll enjoy it, but I am a fanboy after all.

I think their whole point was that they were able to push the graphics hard on the consoles and still make the game they wanted to make with the tech. Thats kind of what ID tech has always been about. The best graphics you can get with the speed to keep the games enjoyable. Remember it is a console game first so if they were able to make the best looking game consoles have ever seen and get those constant 60fps, then they succeeded at least on the tech front. Gameplay is another story though.

Eh, IMO I think they can self-celebrate only if they are humble while doing so. Carmack is as humble as they come. I think they're proud of their roots - and they should be. But as Youn said, if anything Tim needs to take a chill pill. I think they're touting the awesome advance that mega-texture tech brings. I mean, how cool is it that designers can do their thing on a machine without dragging a system down? That's really neat.

And, I don't think id is begging anyone to consider themselves as relevant, I just think you're reading into the interview. No, RAGE won't be a revolution, but what game has been as of recently...I'd say nearly none. We're getting older and with that comes years of experience, so we get a little jaded about what we see. It's a challenge for any developer to create new and interesting ideas, let alone engage the user. This is especially true for FPS developers.

Anyways, I know I'll enjoy it, but I am a fanboy after all.

Yeah I like Carmack and he does seem quite down to earth given his crazy ability with programming ...it was the other guys who made my stomach churn. Maybe they want the COD and Halo fans to know who paved the way for those games and they should give Rage some attention.

Rage looks fun and that's enough for me, but making out it's a revolution seems off the mark.

Looks OK. I'll wait and see.

Also..

->id<- not an acronym

you're right about that. I had written John Romero some time ago about some things. He noticed that I was writing id software as iD software in the email - he corrected me ;) I figured it was neat to be corrected by one of the founders of id software.

Rage looks far better than past id games, imo. I think most people, who are tired of id corridor shooters will be pleasantly surprised to a degree.

I'm gonna give Id the benefit of the doubt because they have in the past given me many enjoyable gaming hours. From what I can tell via watching previews and what have you from E3 this game doesn't seem to do anything "new".

I couldn't give 2 shits if the graphics on consoles are great or not. This game just seems like Fallout 3 which considering how much I loved Fallout 3 it isn't a bad thing.

Guess we'll see when it releases in October.

As someone who's been a long time fan on id but always found their single player games to be repetitive and boring I can safely say I'm really looking forward to this.

I have played the Serious Sam HD's and love them to death, but I would love to see Doom 4 go back to its roots. :) I know some may feel that's going backwards, but for me, I love that style of gameplay.

+1

Bring back hordes of demons and crazy ass level design.. That's the real doom :D

I'm continuing to like what I see in Rage and where it's headed. It was in my day 1 buy list and it remains there.

"We are arguably the best looking game on the consoles today"
-John Carmack

:rolleyes: If only id aspired to make the best looking game on the PC today...

Nevertheless I am looking forward to this with optimistic anticipation...

Even if the console is the lead platform I am very interested in this game -- it might be a good surprise.

Regarding the 'self-celebratory' vibe in the video, I am more under the impression it pertains to their technical achievements more than anything else...

-John Carmack

Doom 4.

-John Carmack

It's pretty sad that the bar has been lowered so much, especially since the consoles are getting long in the tooth hardware wise. I've all but resigned myself to the idea that we're headed for full fledged stagnation.

That being said, I think this is still going to be a damned good game on its own merits.

Back