New Rage Footage

If it was not an ID software game I would not give the demo a second thought, I am not that impressed.

GFX - I think Crysis 1 looks better, especially jungle scenes.
Sound - Shotgun sound ok, the rest, dont remember. Crysis 1 has better SFX and music.
Fun - Crysis in the jungle seems to be more fun than running around Doom/Q1-2-4-like dungeons. But hey, why change a "winning" concept?
Gore - I like there is many different ways opponents die (usually).

And now for the bad stuff:

One of the opponents does the same thing all the time given he has the same distance towards you, its the guy who does that silly jump, when he dies he falls over the same way. Why not add many animations instead of one, one death animation is so Q2.

Whats up with the pistol, make it look bad ass so people will want to play with it, the same with the sound it makes.

Whats up with the art direction? f"n silly desert clothing theme and hats, games are not art, and does not need some fancy art designer who creates concept art for the game, just look at Doom.

Why not just put this sh*t game in the dumpster and make one f"n badass FPS of the FPS'es, a 30 different levels, awesome weapons, many different opponents, some puzzles, keycards, action, action and lots of action, someone.. . send ID software a copy of Doom 2, thats the kind of game that needs a proper sequel.

Why not just put this sh*t game in the dumpster and make one f"n badass FPS of the FPS'es, a 30 different levels, awesome weapons, many different opponents, some puzzles, keycards, action, action and lots of action, someone.. .
I was under the impression that we live in the year 2011, not 1994.

If it was not an ID software game I would not give the demo a second thought, I am not that impressed.

GFX - I think Crysis 1 looks better, especially jungle scenes.
Sound - Shotgun sound ok, the rest, dont remember. Crysis 1 has better SFX and music.
Fun - Crysis in the jungle seems to be more fun than running around Doom/Q1-2-4-like dungeons. But hey, why change a "winning" concept?
Gore - I like there is many different ways opponents die (usually).

And now for the bad stuff:

One of the opponents does the same thing all the time given he has the same distance towards you, its the guy who does that silly jump, when he dies he falls over the same way. Why not add many animations instead of one, one death animation is so Q2.

Whats up with the pistol, make it look bad ass so people will want to play with it, the same with the sound it makes.

Whats up with the art direction? f"n silly desert clothing theme and hats, games are not art, and does not need some fancy art designer who creates concept art for the game, just look at Doom.

Why not just put this sh*t game in the dumpster and make one f"n badass FPS of the FPS'es, a 30 different levels, awesome weapons, many different opponents, some puzzles, keycards, action, action and lots of action, someone.. . send ID software a copy of Doom 2, thats the kind of game that needs a proper sequel.

I'm really amazed that you have 9 + years on this board, really. I snickered out loud when I read this post, especially the piece about art direction.

You've keep comparing the jungles of Crysis to this game, which makes absolutely no-sense. You repeatedly harp on the art direction, being gun design and level design, but then you go on to say that games are not art, nor need art designers. It's funny.

Why is that Gears of War is the only shooter that has quality, visceral body physics? Even the way your enemies sound when they die is terrible. The game looks okay, but if it's short it's not going to be worth a 50-60 dollar investment.

No and No...

id games have traditionally been OpenGL and never console ports...

I will probably buy this game no questions asked. I've always enjoyed ID games, least of all being quake 4. That being said, when ID tech 4 shipped with Doom 3 we all marveled by the graphics at the time and it really set the bar for that era of pc gaming (3-4yrs), until it the UT3 engine came around. Looking at the ID tech 5 engine, im very disappointed!!! I was looking for ID to set the bar once again for graphics quality but this game visually is no crysis :(. As another member pointed out, it does look like a throwback to borderlands. While i wont be marveled by the visuals, im hoping game play mechanics will keep me engaged.

Quake 4 was raven, not ID. Which makes me wonder...what will raven be doing this time around when ID are doing rage...

Well, I think Rage is no longer the graphics king - Frostbite 2 easily looks better. In all aspects - lighting, outdoor areas, animations and just general look and feel. Although Id's engines I'm sure are more extensible and designed for 3rd party reuse.

Not impressed. Facial expressions were pretty lame and the graphics were only "ok" for me. Looks like a Borderlands theme set in Metro 2033, from this video. At this point for me an on rails shooter needs to have a great story to justify playing it; just being able to shoot people and blow stuff up doesn't cut it anymore.

More tidbits rolling in today:
It’s best to let technical wizard John Carmack explain this one. “One of the significant things that’s not really obvious is that because we break everything up into these texture pages, the consoles are limited because they don’t have enough memory and on the PS3 you can’t go larger than a 4096 squared texture,” he says.

“There’s a lot of scenes that really need more than that on there, so a lot of scenes sort of hit an upper limit on the consoles, where on the PC where we can use an 8k by 8k texture for that we can bring in higher fidelity. So even if you’re running the PC version at 720p resolution you’ll get crisper graphics on there.
“The PC’s going to be an awesome platform for it. There are a lot of buttons.”

Rage doesn’t follow the trend for letting you only carry two weapons at once. Instead, you can carry all your weapons at all times, and they’re mapped to the traditional number keys. “We were kind of back and forth on whether we keep to four buttons that you map to your favourites,” explained Willits. “But on the PC you’ve got a key for every weapon. And we follow the Half-Life control paradigm, where you can press the button twice to select the weapon.”

And some video of the Authority.

^^ The more I see and hear about Rage, the more excited I'm getting for it.

Thanks for the post Phide!

I think people need to separate what id software is doing from what they could be doing. As of right now, RAGE is marketed and developed as a multi-platform release. This means Carmack has scripted and taken into account multiple levels of hardware development. An example of this is in Phide's post about page sizes. Just because the game doesn't "blow the doors off the competition" doesn't mean that Carmack and company couldn't come out with a game engine that would easily put any engine to shame in the graphics department. I have all the faith in the world that not one company could contend with that man's skill set.

idTech5, which RAGE is based, is meant to run at a smooth 60fps across all platforms with an easy platform roll-out. This is the true intention. Not many if any other engine developers are aligned to that goal nor are their engines built to match that philosophy.

Anyways, I think the game looks great and I know I'll enjoy it! Now, should I have my wife buy it for my birthday or pick it up day 1, decisions..decisions.

Thanks for the post Phide!

I think people need to separate what id software is doing from what they could be doing. As of right now, RAGE is marketed and developed as a multi-platform release. This means Carmack has scripted and taken into account multiple levels of hardware development. An example of this is in Phide's post about page sizes. Just because the game doesn't "blow the doors off the competition" doesn't mean that Carmack and company couldn't come out with a game engine that would easily put any engine to shame in the graphics department. I have all the faith in the world that not one company could contend with that man's skill set.

idTech5, which RAGE is based, is meant to run at a smooth 60fps across all platforms with an easy platform roll-out. This is the true intention. Not many if any other engine developers are aligned to that goal nor are their engines built to match that philosophy.

Anyways, I think the game looks great and I know I'll enjoy it! Now, should I have my wife buy it for my birthday or pick it up day 1, decisions..decisions.

What he "could" do is all well and good; until that time I think it fair to judge, against what we want, what he actually is putting out.

im actually really excited for RAGE - i think everyone will be quite impressed once its released and we can crank up the resolutions/install some graphic mods etc. its gonna be a fun one :)

I'm loving what I'm seeing so far concerning RAGE...but in general I'm happy to see more open world FPS games being released (Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim)

very nice looking forward to this, should be getting it free through insider program with bethsoft.

Good, I'm glad to hear that you can carry all weapons instead of being limited to 2 or 3 which is very common in today's FPS.

If they manage it they might be the first AAA title to actually get decent performance on the consoles then, I have literally never seen a console game run consistently smoothly unless it's some crappy arcade title, none of the major blockbuster games do, I often wonder how console gamers put up with it, I guess it's mostly ignorance.

Honestly I'm not all that fussed about the graphics since my graphics card sucks anyway. The game looks decent enough in terms of gameplay...the Gamespot stage show interview revealed the game will be "at least 15 hours" long, as well as the different player choices providing some replay value. As soon as someone gets some kind of weapon SFX-mod so I don't have to hear a cutlery draw rattling around in the back of a truck every time I fire an automatic weapon, I'll probably get it.

Honestly I'm not all that fussed about the graphics since my graphics card sucks anyway. The game looks decent enough in terms of gameplay...the Gamespot stage show interview revealed the game will be "at least 15 hours" long, as well as the different player choices providing some replay value. As soon as someone gets some kind of weapon SFX-mod so I don't have to hear a cutlery draw rattling around in the back of a truck every time I fire an automatic weapon, I'll probably get it.

Is your sig current? You're still running an 8600? Damn brother, you really could get yourself a HUGE upgrade without having to spend a lot of money at all.

Are you going to be making a move on something at a certain time? Waiting for a certain product?

Is your sig current? You're still running an 8600? Damn brother, you really could get yourself a HUGE upgrade without having to spend a lot of money at all.

Are you going to be making a move on something at a certain time? Waiting for a certain product?

Yes, it's current *sad*. I asked about it in the video card forum a couple of weeks ago but from the replies I just got confused between buying the best videocard available or just saving for a new rig. I was thinking a 5770 would be a middle-ground since they're like $120 here in Aus right now (cheap for such a decent-ish card) and I'd just take some CPU bottlenecking. I don't know :confused:.

On-topic: Rage is being made by id Software and has guns.

none of the major blockbuster games do
Wow that's... sad. Didn't realize what I was missing there :) From gameplay previews the game testers continually comment on how smooth it runs, hope that holds true to the release, maybe console kiddies will get a taste of what THEY'RE missing? :p

I also heard the second part of RAGE will be very different then anything we've seen so far, a surprise they've kept under wraps? Would be cool, as every video I've seen seems to be the same thing over and over again...

If they manage it they might be the first AAA title to actually get decent performance on the consoles then, I have literally never seen a console game run consistently smoothly unless it's some crappy arcade title, none of the major blockbuster games do, I often wonder how console gamers put up with it, I guess it's mostly ignorance.

Running smooth 60fps was one of the goals of this project. That's what people don't get, and why I stated it. There is a trade off for goods on consoles...

Just got done downloading The Well trailer (1.1GB file) and I have to say the game is looking even more like Borderlands...the graphics have a very cartoony look about them. The sound effects do sound a little better, though.

Have you never heard of Call of Duty?

Last edited:
Carmack gets technical about Rage during the QuakeCon keynote address.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgYG-_ha28&feature=player_embedded

It's over an hour long. Here's a summary.
  • He addresses the challenges on designing a game like Rage on both PC's and consoles.
  • The ram limitations and optical drives on the consoles seem to really hold this game back.
  • It seems that PC has a tremendous advantages in this game.
  • 360 owners he said will want to install the game to the hard drive.
  • He feels integrated graphics, like with what Intel is doing, is going to really help the future of PC gaming due to standardized memory addressing.
  • On consoles the resolution dynamically increases or decreases to maintain 60FPS.
  • On consoles, the game will have screen tearing in order to maintain performance.
  • Early on the decision that 60FPS was more important than 30 FPS with better graphics.
  • The game is done they are just finishing up minor things and preparing the certified candidate release
  • He is working on a way to reduce game development time by reusing data sets (each game is taking longer than the previous).
  • He has started a research engine project for PC. The project is to take existing game content and import it into a new engine for increased performance.
  • He will not recertify/release the game though. This is to see what large amounts of memory and storage can do for PC gaming.
  • This power results in improved post-processing, such as Fourier transformation and full screen convolution.
  • ID views PC's as buffed up consoles and will not be tacking on DX 11 effects like tessellation in this generation.
  • On consoles the game will have blurry textures if your right against a wall, due to optical storage limitations. He would of liked to max out a dual-layered blu-ray.
  • On PC they may release a patch to increase graphics by taking advantage of more memory. (He made it sound like PC's now have more power/memory than they expected when they started rendering textures for the game. They are NOT pulling a Crytek)
  • The 360 development kit has a static code analysis feature for free, which assist to verify the code. He said it really helps development and it is a mistake to not use it. Other platforms you must pay for analysis software.
  • Even if coding works now with error, much code will be reused 10 years down the road. It should be done correctly now using this analyzing tools. This is one of the things to help decrease game development time.
  • He recalls during the Quake III era using static code analysis and not caring about results. Now he see's the massive value of it.
  • He wanted to clear every single warning on Rage code analysis but some warnings may not be real. He expects some errors to eventually pop up.
  • Wants to ship games every 3 years and wish they didn't make such a leap with Rage. Should of made Doom 4 with Tech 4 while Rage was under development.
  • Next 2 games (Doom 4 and another) will be developed using current development cycles. Made it sound like future games will use the new idea of cleaner code. Says 95% of code should be locked and error free.
  • Said he's not sentimental about his old games. The good ol' days are right now. Rage is the best game they've ever made.He's a better programmer now then ever.
  • Said there's a place for efficient codes with restraints for the sake of learning efficiency. Said it would be fun to make modern software on older hardware to see how you would do it.
  • Said he doesn't expect there to be a large Rage mod community and that saddens him. Tools will be available but it will take to much work to make new textures for the game.
  • With release of Doom 3 source code, challenges more developers to do the same. Doesn't hurt to release old code and that it has helped ID now that he looks back.

Last edited:
Hearing Carmack's presentation has gotten me pretty excited about this game. It's just very refreshing hearing that he's been very active on this project and hearing all the technical concerns/solutions that he has tackled in this game.

Just got done downloading The Well trailer (1.1GB file) and I have to say the game is looking even more like Borderlands...the graphics have a very cartoony look about them. The sound effects do sound a little better, though.

Got a link to the larger files?

Very enlightening listening to this man (Carmack) talk. I'm definitely excited about this game and while I usually don't preorder, I think this warrants one. GFWL is a bit of a turn off though, but can be expected since it's Zenimax.

Why not put this sh*t game in the dumpster and make one f"n badass FPS of the FPS'es, a 30 different levels, awesome weapons, many different opponents, some puzzles, keycards, action, action and lots of action, someone.. . send ID software a copy of Doom 2, thats the kind of game that needs a proper sequel.

You're getting one with Doom 4, and if you looked you'd see that Serious Sam 3: BFE is right up your alley. Perhaps you really should give Rage a proper chance before you bash it?

Oh, and a teaser for SS3: BF3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKzLOnVMZ4&feature=related

Next 2 games (Doom 4 and another) will be developed using current development cycles. Made it sound like future games will use the new idea of cleaner code. Says 95% of code should be locked and error free.

Better fucking be Quake 5.

Looks like Id ripped off borderlands to me. From the gun models down to the ui elements.

Looks like Id ripped off borderlands to me. From the gun models down to the ui elements.

At this point, this criticism can only be seen as flame bait.

Borderlands first revealed Sept. 2007
Rage first revealed June, 2007

bah, you're an idiot I shouldn't even be doing this.

Totally, except --rage started over a year before borderlands and was revealed to the public first six months earlier--. Its hard to rip off another company when your product is in development first, shown to the public first, etc. ID was just too obsessed with quality vs quantity to get it out first.

Can't wait for this. I don't have to worry about it being like Borderlands because I never played Borderlands :) I'll always be a die hard id fan, Rage should bring back that lovin' feelin'. Bring on Doom 4 and Quake 5!

Last edited:
Back