New Rage Footage

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Some new footage here shows areas seen before, but the gameplay is almost uninterrupted. Surprisingly, the game seems even more polished than what we've seen in the past 6 months.

@Kotaku

@Youtube

Last edited:
Game looks great, except the spraying water.

Should be really fun, the "Quayola Quayons" and "Pinkies" were a nice touch.

Day one buy for me easily, barring something ridiculous.

I am sorry but this game has some horrible looking textures right in obvious spots. for example, just pause the video at 0:53 and look at the wall or 1:57 and look at DOOM 3 equivalent graphics on that control panel. I know its not all about graphics but I guess mega texture has nothing to do with being hi res?

and why do they keep using the controller yet have pc prompts on the screen?

Last edited:
I am sorry but this game has some horrible looking textures right in obvious spots. for example, just pause the video at 0:53 and look at the wall or 1:57 and look at DOOM 3 equivalent graphics on that control panel. I know its not all about graphics but I guess mega texture has nothing to do with being hi res?

and why do they keep using the controller yet have pc prompts on the screen?

I know this shouldn't be the way, but ID games usually have...not wonderful textures, but they allow you the option of modding, from day one. So anything thats not up to par can be fixed easily.

Double meh.

Shadows too dark in outdoor town sequence. Console gameplay looked uninspired. Too much iron sight use for an I'd game.

Why are you apologising?
because one person in this thread has already said the game looked great and I am sure many others will too. I think we go through this with every Rage thread where it seems many people even deny what is right in front of them.

Get rid of this shadow border shit around the screen and we'll talk.

because one person in this thread has already said the game looked great and I am sure many others will too. I think we go through this with every Rage thread where it seems many people even deny what is right in front of them.

Well I think overall it looks decent, but now that I look I can definitely see some low res textures, and I'm sure that they will show up far more clearly at 1920x1200 without youtube compression. Out of the three vids I've seen, two of them looked like they had interesting environments (this one looked interesting to me). There were two things that didn't look right to me. The blood and guts after a death look awful. I also think there's just something wrong with the characters. Their textures sometimes look good, sometimes don't. Their animations sometimes look good, and sometimes don't.

The gameplay looks decent, though I really hope there's a harder setting for PCs. Whats with the little spinning thing he throws thats like an insta 1 hit kill? Seems to be kinda easymode.

Weapons look clownish. What's up with the pistol that looks like it's 20lbs of steel? lol. The Shotgun? Yeah .... craptastic. Same ol' tired shit. No doubt the new engine has a lot of promise but I've always found ID designed games boring. Same stuff year in, year out.

Ewwww, 4:48 on the youtube video, naaaasty :)

This might be one of those games that calls for a couple upgrades.

Also, I wonder if they hid the Dopefish anywhere.

The video looks cool but something about it reminds me of the Doom demo at E3 many years ago (the one with the Alpha build of the game).

I'll be building a new gaming rig at the release - day one for me :) But I'm an id software fan after all!

Loved the Quayola and Pinkies references. The weapons look like they feel good, and finally a double barreled shotgun with enough heft to it worthy of succeeding the Super Shotgun from Doom 2. The game looks like fun, I'm seeing a mix of Fallout (duh) and Borderlands here which I both thoroughly enjoyed. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be "consolized" (lazy movements) but I'm still looking forward to this game.

Also I hate (or love?) what L.A. Noir has done to facial animations, it's hard to take any other upcoming games seriously after playing that!

Get rid of this shadow border shit around the screen and we'll talk.
Vignetting draws visual attention toward the center of the screen where it's usually most important. It's a worthwhile effect in most cases.

Also: that shotgun sound monstrous. This is the first time I've been pleased with the audio in this game, which has in the past disappointed. Sounds like there's actually some reverb going on too, though it's desperately needed on dialogue — everything sounds as if you're talking to characters in a vocal booth and they're severely close-mic'ed, which is just awful.

Lots of hate in this thread, but I for one think it looks like fun. I haven't followed this game much so I don't have much expectations from the hype. The environment and weapons system reminds me of bioshock and borderlands a bit.

Vignetting draws visual attention toward the center of the screen where it's usually most important. It's a worthwhile effect in most cases.

Not it's not. It also seemed to be on the entire time. It's a useless effect.

I hope you are not thinking that you will need a high end rig for this game.

Considering it looks better than any other game outside of KZ or Crysis, yes. I'm currently on a 8800GTX which will not be able to max this game out. Plus, i'm still hoping that the uncompressed version is shipped with the PC - it comes in at 1 TB in size.

Last edited:
Considering it looks better than any other game outside of KZ or Crysis, yes. I'm currently on a 8800GTX which will not be able to max this game out. Plus, i'm still hoping that the uncompressed version is shipped with the PC - it comes in at 1 TB in size.
I am not all that impressed with the graphics and they look down right awful in some spots. and KZ runs on a card slower than a 8600gt so that really does not say much. but yeah an 8800gtx probably will not handle it on the highest settings at a decent resolution. btw uncompressed DOOM 3 did not look any better so I would not get my hopes up.

Sure guys, its probably going to be a good game and it looks good too, but its hardly anything revolutionary now is it?
I see bits of other older games minced together and nothing new to offer... Bulletstorm and Borderlands especially, I wanted to be really enthusiastic about this but its lacking that 'wow' factor.

Sure guys, its probably going to be a good game and it looks good too, but its hardly anything revolutionary now is it?
I see bits of other older games minced together and nothing new to offer... Bulletstorm and Borderlands especially, I wanted to be really enthusiastic about this but its lacking that 'wow' factor.

Could give a shite if it's revolutionary, it just needs to be fun. Crysis was "revolutionary" but i found the single player quite dull. Gameplay > graphics.

please not the silly gameplay versus graphics nonsesne. many people played through Crysis on medium settings and enjoyed the game just fine. not every game will suit everybody of course but you can have BOTH good graphics and good gameplay.

There hasn't been a FPS that was revolutionary since late 2000's, so I really don't think it's fair to use that as a neg for Rage or any other IP. Secondly, I don't mind the comparisons to Borderlands visually, but never say this IP is taking pieces from Borderlands or similar games because as most people know, Rage has been in development before Borderlands was.

Sound effects are still 100% terrible.

No they don't need to be BF3/MOH/BC2 quality or even particularly good, but they shouldn't sound so bad that my ears want to bleed from the scratchiness.

Sound effects are still 100% terrible.

No they don't need to be BF3/MOH/BC2 quality or even particularly good, but they shouldn't sound so bad that my ears want to bleed from the scratchiness.

I thought they sounded great...hmm, dunno, to each their own.

Looks fantastic

I want to buy Carmack and the rest of id a beer

Anyone have a good link comparing the next gen game engines (which includes the big guys like Epic, Id, Crytek as well as the lesser knowns)?

Value of an Id game is as much in the engine tech as the game design. I was really hoping the demo would show some wide open areas to show off megatexturing.

Looks good to me. I might buy it at release since it will be coming out before the barrage of games later in the year.

Anyone have a good link comparing the next gen game engines (which includes the big guys like Epic, Id, Crytek as well as the lesser knowns)?
Compared in what way? Most of the current- and near-next-generation engines are architecturally pretty similar and are mainly differentiated by feature sets.

Wonder if the guns will have weight to them like they had in KZ2, the movement seem slow, but gives a cinematic look to it.

Looks pretty damn cool, thank for the vids.

September can't come soon enough. This game is on my "day 1" buy list for some time now and all the videos I've seen of it have been awesome. I'm a big fan of open world games and this type of setting is always a plus for me. This will surely be the game that will hold me over until Skyrim!

As long asn you can strafe jump and rocket jump ill be happy. Speed runs across the desert in 15 minutes! :D

Back