New Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Driver 17.4.2

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-ar...mson-ReLive-Edition-17.4.2-Release-Notes.aspx

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition is AMD's advanced graphics software for enabling high-performance gaming and engaging VR experiences. Create, capture, and share your remarkable moments. Effortlessly boost performance and efficiency. Experience Radeon Software with industry-leading user satisfaction, rigorously-tested stability, comprehensive certification, and more.

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.2 Highlights

• Initial support for Windows®10 Creators Update.
Fixed Issues

• SteamVR Asynchronous Reprojection feature may not function or enable correctly on supported hardware.
  • Battlefield™1 may experience poor scaling in Multi GPU mode using DirectX®11 API.
  • Radeon ReLive may experience flickering when recording with an extended display connected on Windows®7 system configurations.
  • Application profiles in Radeon Settings may fail to retain after system log off or reboot for some gaming applications.
  • Windows® Security popup may be experienced after install and reboot on some Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
Known Issues

• Radeon WattMan may fail to apply settings on some Radeon R9 390 series graphics products.
  • Radeon Settings may crash on switching Windows® user after toggling AMD CrossFire™ technology mode.
  • A small amount of apps may still experience issues with Borderless Fullscreen mode and AMD FreeSync™ technology if other applications or game launchers are running on the primary screen in the background.
  • Counter-Strike™: Global Offensive and World of Warcraft™ may experience flickering or performance issues the first time the game is launched on a system boot with AMD FreeSync™ technology enabled. Workarounds include exiting and restarting the application or task switching (alt+tab) in and out of the game to fix the issue.
Known Issues for Radeon ReLive

• The XBOX™ DVR application may cause conflicts with Radeon ReLive, users are suggested to disable XBOX™ DVR if Radeon ReLive is experiencing issues.
  • Radeon ReLive may fail to install on AMD APU Family products or experience a system hang or failure to record when using the recording feature on AMD APU Family products.
  • Radeon ReLive may intermittently fail to work after performing task switches of applications. A work around is to disable and then enable the feature in Radeon Software.
  • Radeon ReLive may exhibit corruption in recordings when capturing Microsoft Office applications.
  • Radeon ReLive may experience recording or streaming issues when task switching using ALT+TAB.
Package Contents

The Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.2 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.2 Driver Version 17.10.1711. (Windows Driver Store Version 22.19.157.3)

I loaned one of my Fury X cards to a friend who wanted to try freesync on his LG 34" ultrawide screen 2560x1080. He currently has a 1070 card by MSI. He uninstalled NVidia drivers and installed the AMD drivers (assuming yesterday's newest) and experienced the following:

So... Good news first. I got it working*. It looks really nice with my red and black build theme. The software looks pretty nice.

Bad news. It is louder. I can hear what I assume to be the pump running at all times. It's not loud per se. But it is louder than my silent 1070. My windows and it don't seem to fully get along and I am not sure why. It mostly works fine but some times when restarting it will post bios and then go into a windows repair type mode. It will eventually boot but its like it still wants the old card or something. I wiped all the drivers and what not. Not sure if its a windows 10 thing or not. Once I get a new card I may reinstall windows.

Games. At first I was a bit disappointed. I fired up Fallout and without even getting into the game it would crash. I tried a few times to no avail. I then tried Witcher 3. It worked but something wasn't right. It looked grainy. I messed with the settings and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Also the FPS was all over the map. Although I think I got my first real experience with FreeSync. But overall something in the settings seems messed up with it. I didn't spend too much time working on that one. So I fire up Doom. Why does it default to the worse settings possible? I get into the game so I can get into the settings and crash. :( now I am like WTF. I then try Ryse Son of Rome. It worked fine... Finally something works. Although it too defaulted to super low settings. Once I bumped them up the game played fine. (side note: I wasn't impressed with the controls. I need to hook up the controller and try it the way you told me to)

So I go out to the Radeon software stuff. Not finding any answers there. So I then go to the other settings thing and I find where it has the Performance mode and set it to that. Boom now I can get into Doom and I change all the settings so I can at least read the dang menus. I then change it over to Vulkan and everything runs again. I first tried it on adaptive V-Sync and I had some tearing so then I just turned V-Sync on and it stayed locked at 75. Everything seemed real good.

By this time it was getting super late so I tried Skyrim and Fallout one more time and both had issues. So I will revisit them tonight. It's like the game settings and the Radeon settings are not matching up or something weird.

Overall, Nvidia is MUCH easier to deal with. Its defaults games to very good settings and typically just works. I have a feeling I am going to be playing in the settings A LOT more with the AMD stuff. Then again I am sure once I figure out the conflicts I should be able to prevent them on future games.

I replied to him:

Quite simply it’s your windows install.

I never have had any of those issues, and I’ve played all of those games but Fallout 4.

I’ve read about when people switch drivers from Nvidia to AMD this kind of thing happening.

They then assume AMD drivers are junk.
I assure you they aren’t -- after using AMD drivers for the last 2 years. (AMD 285, then a single Fury X, then a pair of Fury X in crossfire).

As to starting the game with 640x480 ultra low type resolution --- that happened when I had a 2560x1080 35" Acer ultrawidescreen too - but it does not happen on my 1440p HP Omen 32 screens. Maybe it's an issue with 2560x1080 monitors and AMD cards? Once you change the resolution for the first time it will stick though.

Reinstall windows tonight, and try again. I bet you don’t have a single driver problem you mentioned above after a re-install.
If that holds true - it'll lead me to believe that perhaps Nvidia is somehow sabotaging AMD with something lingering from their driver install –which also would explain why some benchmark sites show SUCH abysmally low scores for AMD on occasion that seem like complete one offs compared to other sites.

It'll be interesting to see if his experience is different after the Windows 10 Re-install. Has anyone else experienced something like this recently?

Last edited:
I loaned one of my Fury X cards to a friend who wanted to try freesync on his LG 34" ultrawide screen 2560x1080. He currently has a 1070 card by MSI. He uninstalled NVidia drivers and installed the AMD drivers (assuming yesterday's newest) and experienced the following:

So... Good news first. I got it working*. It looks really nice with my red and black build theme. The software looks pretty nice.

Bad news. It is louder. I can hear what I assume to be the pump running at all times. It's not loud per se. But it is louder than my silent 1070. My windows and it don't seem to fully get along and I am not sure why. It mostly works fine but some times when restarting it will post bios and then go into a windows repair type mode. It will eventually boot but its like it still wants the old card or something. I wiped all the drivers and what not. Not sure if its a windows 10 thing or not. Once I get a new card I may reinstall windows.

Games. At first I was a bit disappointed. I fired up Fallout and without even getting into the game it would crash. I tried a few times to no avail. I then tried Witcher 3. It worked but something wasn't right. It looked grainy. I messed with the settings and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Also the FPS was all over the map. Although I think I got my first real experience with FreeSync. But overall something in the settings seems messed up with it. I didn't spend too much time working on that one. So I fire up Doom. Why does it default to the worse settings possible? I get into the game so I can get into the settings and crash. :( now I am like WTF. I then try Ryse Son of Rome. It worked fine... Finally something works. Although it too defaulted to super low settings. Once I bumped them up the game played fine. (side note: I wasn't impressed with the controls. I need to hook up the controller and try it the way you told me to)

So I go out to the Radeon software stuff. Not finding any answers there. So I then go to the other settings thing and I find where it has the Performance mode and set it to that. Boom now I can get into Doom and I change all the settings so I can at least read the dang menus. I then change it over to Vulkan and everything runs again. I first tried it on adaptive V-Sync and I had some tearing so then I just turned V-Sync on and it stayed locked at 75. Everything seemed real good.

By this time it was getting super late so I tried Skyrim and Fallout one more time and both had issues. So I will revisit them tonight. It's like the game settings and the Radeon settings are not matching up or something weird.

Overall, Nvidia is MUCH easier to deal with. Its defaults games to very good settings and typically just works. I have a feeling I am going to be playing in the settings A LOT more with the AMD stuff. Then again I am sure once I figure out the conflicts I should be able to prevent them on future games.

I replied to him:

Quite simply it’s your windows install.

I never have had any of those issues, and I’ve played all of those games but Fallout 4.

I’ve read about when people switch drivers from Nvidia to AMD this kind of thing happening.

They then assume AMD drivers are junk.
I assure you they aren’t -- after using AMD drivers for the last 2 years. (AMD 285, then a single Fury X, then a pair of Fury X in crossfire).

As to starting the game with 640x480 ultra low type resolution --- that happened when I had a 2560x1080 35" Acer ultrawidescreen too - but it does not happen on my 1440p HP Omen 32 screens. Maybe it's an issue with 2560x1080 monitors and AMD cards? Once you change the resolution for the first time it will stick though.

Reinstall windows tonight, and try again. I bet you don’t have a single driver problem you mentioned above after a re-install.
If that holds true - it'll lead me to believe that perhaps Nvidia is somehow sabotaging AMD with something lingering from their driver install –which also would explain why some benchmark sites show SUCH abysmally low scores for AMD on occasion that seem like complete one offs compared to other sites.

It'll be interesting to see if his experience is different after the Windows 10 Re-install. Has anyone else experienced something like this recently?

Very interesting for sure.

I've been running AMD/ATI cards forever, and never had any driver issues worth mentioning until windows 10.

Last night I had a few games refusing to start. Download latest drivers, boot into safe mode, run DDU, reboot.. windows auto installs crimson 16.6..... check settings, I have the "windows update drivers" shit disabled.. weird.

Boot into safe mode, run DDU, reboot, windows installs crimson 16.6. wtf. verify, "automatically update device driver" stuff is OFF.

Uninstall drivers in windows, boot to safe mode, run DDU, confirm there is no AMD drivers, reboot.... windows installs Crimson 16.6. Getting pissed.

Uninstall drivers in device manager, boot to safe mode, confirm no drivers in DDU, unplug network cable, reboot, install 17.4.2 flawlessly, reboot...

Windows decides right now it wants to install the creators update . :mad:

Get done with all that shit, games running excellent once again.

Lesson, use DDU and unplug your network cable to make sure windows doesn't fuck you when updating drivers.

FWIW - rgMekanic whenever I've updated AMD drivers, I've never uninstalled the older variant first or used DDU, and I've not had any problems. I just use express install and it works. When I switched from Nvidia to AMD a couple years back, I just reloaded my OS at the same time to avoid any potential problems. Windows 10 makes reloading your OS super simple - with the USB installer install - and automatic online registration.

FWIW - rgMekanic whenever I've updated AMD drivers, I've never uninstalled the older variant first or used DDU, and I've not had any problems. I just use express install and it works. When I switched from Nvidia to AMD a couple years back, I just reloaded my OS at the same time to avoid any potential problems. Windows 10 makes reloading your OS super simple - with the USB installer install - and automatic online registration.

I've only tried in the in place upgrade once in the last while, and experienced some poor framerates and fps drops for some reason, ran DDU and reinstalled the same driver version and everything was hunky dory after that. Could have been a one time experience tho, as it was about the time they went from Catalyst to Crimson, so it may have just been too big of a change for an in place upgrade that time.

This driver refuse to work with my 390X and my 280X even on a fresh windows installation on each machine, still troubleshooting but not a lot of time for it.

Back