New quiet HDD champ

DougLite

Supreme [H]ardness
(Yes I know this is cross posted in Disk Storage, but it's also very much of interest here)

The WD5000KS :eek: Not bad for a 500GB four platter drive.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article617-page1.html

SPCR had to double check their measurements the power and noise measurements in AAM mode were so jaw droppingly low. Still suffers from a little bit of vibration, but grommets should pretty well mitigate that. Both motor and seek noise are inaudible from one meter and out.

8.5W at idle, 8.6W seek in max AAM mode. Incredible that a 500GB drive with four platters is quieter and cooler than a single two platter 250GB Samsung drive, let alone the two that it would take to match the 5000's capacity.

Add to this that you can score a WD5000KS on ZZF for about $220, and there's a new PVR/HTPC drive of choice.

yeah it will be my next few harddrives to come

vibration is not an issue cuz i suspend my harddrives with elastic from local sewing shop

Asian Dub Foundation said:
vibration is not an issue cuz i suspend my harddrives with elastic from local sewing shop
You too, eh? My mom sews so she's got a lot of it around so I just grab a few strips every now and then when I need them. :)

While WD's new drive looks awesome I've had nothing problems with the WD drives I've bought. After a year they'd just up and die. So while these are temping I'd like to see what WD's warrenty is on them, if it matches Seagate's warrenty (which is why I buy their drives) then I'm going to have to pick one up for sure.

The RAID edition of this unit is available with a five year warranty (and free advance replacement). Also, the RAID edition is spec'd for 1.2million hours MTBF in a 24/7 duty cycle, the highest reliability standard in the industry.

Little secret...the RE and SE drives come off the same assembly line. Only material difference is a longer factory burn-in for the RE drive. All the other differences are on paper.

Looking at prices on the 'Egg (for some bizarre reason, ZZF doesn't stock the RE 500GB, though they do carry the RE 400GB) The RE 400GB is only $2 more expensive than the SE 400GB...despite having two more years of warranty and the much higher MTBF spec.

Question: If there really was that big of a difference in the parts, design, and reliability of the RE vs SE units...wouldn't the RE cost a lot more? The truth is that WD's latest desktop drives are quite reliable, as far as HDD reliability goes.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
yeah it will be my next few harddrives to come

You must have some god awful long sata cables. (power too!) :D

VRMan said:
You must have some god awful long sata cables. (power too!) :D
you dont need long cables, I do the same thing with the ones that came with my mobo and they are actually too big

The way it was worded made it sound like the guy has his hard drives in the sewing shop.

Back