New Quake Champions! 120hz Unlocked Framerate!

Would have preferred to see a sequel to the original Quake or some Quake game with a campaign, not another arena shooter, but still curious to see how this one will turn out.

Yeah looks like Q3A style which in the era of multiplayer seems like a reasonably safe bet. Definitely would have liked to see and original Quake reboot with some awesome SP but this might be pretty solid. I just wish I did more MP stuff.

So they're doing what nobody wants them to do to Quake

ok

Who the fuck actually wants a Quake game with abilities and shit? I want to play Quake so I can play Quake.

Quake Champions has just been announced and is exclusive to the PC - DSOGaming

Bethesda and id Software has just announced Quake Champions. Quake Champions is a fast, skill-based arena-style multiplayer game that is coming exclusively to the PC. The game is designed for eSports and will be running at 120hz with unlocked framerates.

Quake Champions features a roster of unique characters, each with their own distinctive abilities, allowing you to fight the way you want.

Bethesda and id Software will reveal more about Quake Champions this August.

Should have called it Quake-Watch. Kind of sad how the industry is mostly driven by a "me too" mentality.

I still play q3a with bots from times to time, the game play is crazy smooth, and that rail gun plus the bouncy pads ...

I think it will be fun. I also think their reasoning is probably, "We have Tech 6 sitting here, and we can create another Arena Quake fairly quickly. I'd be willing to bet they put out another full Quake game as well eventually. It's possible this is what they could squeeze in to get out relatively close to the anniversary of Quake. Speculation on my part, but seems reasonable. I still play Q3A, and having a nice modern and pretty version sounds great. It will also be enough to get many of my friends to start playing again with me I imagine.

Looks kinda dark?

Also I'm not sure if that's some kind of Q3DM6 remix

If that's all you can complain about, then I think they're doing just fine. Dark? Really? Have you played any other id games? Or even just other Quakes for that matter? Quake 1 and Q3A in particular had some very dark maps. If it's not to your taste cool, but I really see absolutely nothing here that A) doesn't scream Quake (Arena) and B) looks bad in any way.

Different classes? Ugh...stop taking beloved franchise names and shoving this shit into them. STOP IT.

I don't think they're quite as class( y ) as people are thinking. It appears to me that the characters are fairly similar overall, and just have an additional special move so to speak. I really don't feel like it's anything to get upset over, and is probably optional per server/game mode anyway. There have always been specials, they were just pickups before (in Q3A and TA especially.) Now each character has a little flair of his own. I saw a couple of uses of this in the video, and it didn't look like it changed the overall dynamic much, but just added a little bit of variance to things. People were still just running around killing each other, rocket jumping all over the place, etc. It's 2016. They're obviously not going to make a carbon copy of Q3A.

Kind of sad how the industry is mostly driven by a "me too" mentality.

Every industry is driven by this. Overwatch is a big hit with gamers and moved a lot of copies. Other game companies want in on the cash too. While a bit of a bummer, this could just be seen as the evolution of multiplayer games where, through character abilities, the playing field is more even and competitive. It may not be a good evolution but it's the kind that suits the ADD nature of most millennials. It's how Counter Strike has lost it's popularity to game like Call of Duty. The static run and gun nature of Counter Strike just doesn't provide as much 'action' as a CoD game with all those perks, items, and character abilities.

I don't think they're quite as class( y ) as people are thinking. It appears to me that the characters are fairly similar overall, and just have an additional special move so to speak. I really don't feel like it's anything to get upset over, and is probably optional per server/game mode anyway. There have always been specials, they were just pickups before (in Q3A and TA especially.) Now each character has a little flair of his own. I saw a couple of uses of this in the video, and it didn't look like it changed the overall dynamic much, but just added a little bit of variance to things. People were still just running around killing each other, rocket jumping all over the place, etc. It's 2016. They're obviously not going to make a carbon copy of Q3A.

Keep in mind I posted that before we had ANY gameplay footage.

But yeah, based on the trailer it looks less class-based and more of what you are saying. Doesn't look too bad, although I wonder how the weapon system will work, if it'll be pickups or a 2-weapon thing like Doom's MP.

Also it looked like almost every weapon was an instant or near-instant kill, which seems a bit odd unless you are playing some sort of Instagib game type.

Looks like Unreal Tournament / Overwatch clone.

Mediocre!

Keep in mind I posted that before we had ANY gameplay footage.

But yeah, based on the trailer it looks less class-based and more of what you are saying. Doesn't look too bad, although I wonder how the weapon system will work, if it'll be pickups or a 2-weapon thing like Doom's MP.

Also it looked like almost every weapon was an instant or near-instant kill, which seems a bit odd unless you are playing some sort of Instagib game type.

Ahh, didn't realize you hadn't seen the video yet. They actually said that the weapons would be placed in the map. I don't know if that's all modes, or what, but they did say it at the initial announcement. So there will be non-loadout based play. I think there was a lot of rocket, rail, and energy weapon use in that video too. Probably why there were so many quick kills. I'd be interested to see what a shotgun does, the machine guns, etc.

Who the fuck actually wants a Quake game with abilities and shit?
My guess every game is still trying to ride the moba wave overwatch, battleborn, lawbreakers and now quake. I hate mobas.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
My guess every game is still trying to ride the moba wave overwatch, battleborn, lawbreakers and now quake. I hate mobas.

I love to watch other people play DOTA 2. I can't stand the farming and waiting for someone to get 2 pixels too close to my tower crap. This game looks like Quake in the video posted above. If someone has a ball that comes out of their hands every some often it's fine. I wouldn't want the classes to get more specialized than that. Overwatch puts me to sleep.

We still play Q2 Ground zero; it has all kinds of inventory stuff, including a nuke.

Lots of fun after 20 years plus, lol.

Back