New Quad online

SatTech

2[H]4U
Finally got the parts and pieces to put this one together. Quad 6128.

G34Quad.jpg

165000 PPD. Does anybody know anything about mixing and matching the G34 processors on the same motherboard? Would 8 and 12 core MC chips play nice? I've got one more quad board that will get the pair of 6274s currently running on a 2P board, and I'd like to upgrade these 6128s to 12 core chips over time and as I can find them cheap on e-bay.

I run -smp 32 -bigbeta on mine and haven't got an 8101 for the last 10 units. Your ppd is right where I am for an 8101 so everything is working properly.

Excellent!
excellent-666.png

Chips can be mixed as long as they're from same family (== 6100s only or 6200s only).

Side note -- you could consider flashing your memory to XMP timings (as it's a Tyan board,
I see) to get a bit more performance. Let know if you're interested.

Welcome to the club!
This is gonna make you that much harder to catch :D

Just curious but how many cores is F@H using / mapping is it using all 40 or is it using some # of cores some where south of that. If it is running say 32 cores have you tried running a second instance of F@H -smp 6 or 8 to utilise the remaining cores.

If you do have the opportunity to do that I would leave a core or 2 free so the 2 instances of F@H do not interfere with each other.

You may also want to put some stand-offs on the board and give it a little breathing room underneath

Just curious but how many cores is F@H using / mapping is it using all 40 or is it using some # of cores some where south of that. If it is running say 32 cores have you tried running a second instance of F@H -smp 6 or 8 to utilise the remaining cores.

If you do have the opportunity to do that I would leave a core or 2 free so he 2 instances of F@H do not interfere with each other.

It's currently running 6128s, so only 32 cores total.

Chips can be mixed as long as they're from same family (== 6100s only or 6200s only).

Side note -- you could consider flashing your memory to XMP timings (as it's a Tyan board,
I see) to get a bit more performance. Let know if you're interested.

Thats good to hear. I would be interested in flashing the memory.

Ah I see you said you want to upgrade to the 12 cores, guess I should take a little more time reading. :eek:

You may also want to put some stand-offs on the board and give it a little breathing room underneath

^^This.
Give the MB underside some air gap to breathe.
This will help cool MB components that have no direct air cooling.
You can get nylon spacers/standoffs and screws in different lengths that can be attached to the MB mounting holes.
Or something even simpler as long as air can get freely underneath.

Re memory --

Whenever you have some time, please give these two a read:
http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=218762#p218762
http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=218810#p218810

Top level process:
- read all SPDs
- back all SPDs up
- make sure that all SPDs are identical (md5sum)
- modify an SPD
- flash one DIMM bank (CPU) w/modified SPD
- reboot and verify that memory has been detected, then check applied timings
- flash remaining DIMM banks (CPUs) w/modified SPD
- run a memtest
- enjoy

Let know if you have any questions and feel free to hop on IRC as well.

Great looking system, I am just at the point behind you, assembling all the parts for a AMD 6128
Only difference is that it will be a Supermicro H8QGI-F and will use a SSD. I hope to have it up and
running quickly.
Good luck with the new rig!
Best regards

I put my 4p box online a few days too - 4 x 6172's it's humming along at 440k ppd!

Back