Boostage

Limp Gawd
Just put a System together specs are:

Athlon x4 620 Quad
4 gigs of g.skill 1066
Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P
Western Digital RE2 250gb
Win 7 64 Ultimate

First installed XP and it went on as it should, then decided, I will just go to Windows 7, first thing I noticed it took a while to get 7 intstalled. once it was finally up it seems fast and responsive as it should be.

Installed Vmware 7 and it takes like 12-13 seconds to open up, installed google earth, same thing, chrome takes about 5 seconds to pull up the homepage. ie8 takes maybe 3 seconds.

All updates are installed the system just takes too long to open an app, write cache mode is on on the hard drive, Nothing else is on the system, as its just a fresh install, CPU usage is less than 3% on all 4 cores. even turned off page file and it didnt help. what could be the issue?

hard drive is rectified, friend had a theory that its the drive causing it, will check tonight

well I partitioned the drive because I wanted to dual boot then when I decided to put on 7 I just deleted the partition and installed. I actually didnt format. just removed the partition and then & started to copy files.

well I partitioned the drive because I wanted to dual boot then when I decided to put on 7 I just deleted the partition and installed. I actually didnt format. just removed the partition and then & started to copy files.

there we have it :)

when you reinstall Win7(or install it) it wipes the other partitions first.....so your not formating, but its a completely clean install :p ive formated my drive maybe once in the past 4 installs of Win 7, and never experienced slow downs due to not having a freshly formated drive...

I see your machine in sig is an intel.

I'd double check the bios.

or you could read the origional post, seeing that he has a new rig, that is AMD based......

though the BIOS idea may be a good thing to look at, hell could be messed up disk drivers as well

This AMD rig is for a customer, my own rig is the Intel in the sig. I build plenty of x2 x3 and x4 rigs and this is the first I have seen one run this slow. I will clone the HD and flash the Bios tonight and see if that helps

I doubt it, the Splash screen before you even get to see the harddrives took 10 mins to come up.

wait 10 mins? are you for real? I thought you meant like a little longer than usual, not like 20x longer to boot...

aligned writes?
edit: no, nevermind... booting is mostly reads, right?

edit2: ok, completely disregard this. I'm a complete idiot.

My bet is the hard drive is bad or failing. Have you looked at the smart.

I'd guess this as well

not sure what is available for win, but if you don't want to make any changes to the disk itself (esp if it is actually bad), boot an ubuntu cd.

Once the network comes up, drop to a shell and do "apt-get update; apt-get install smartmontools"

Then do "smartctl -t short /dev/sda"

in about 5 minutes, run "smartctl --all /dev/sda" and see if it shows any errors.

Put a new HDD in there and give that a shot. I've got a very similar system and it takes, roughly, 8-10 seconds for boot up.

Is it possible that its the OS just not liking something about the hardware? I tried a much older 160gig drive, fresh install, only thing that changed is small things open like normal, IE 8, apps like yahoo messenger, HDtune the benchmarking program, all those open super fast like they should. but google earth and vmware still take like 12-20 seconds to open. most times google earth just hourglasses for like a minute. Bios has been updated.

Well, the components dont suck,, is anything being throttled due to temps? And what PSU are you running with it?

psu is a 450w generic that came in the case, temps are normal like 39c idle.

I am going to try Vista 64 and see what happens.

disable the floppy disk controller, it did weird things in my win7 installation

is the HDD in ACHI mode?

Run HD Tach it's a free download
btw.anythong hooked up to your usb ports on statup

Last edited:
THE OS WAS THE PROB!!

I put on Vista 64 bit and the problems went away, for some reason win7 64 doesnt like this set of hardware,

THE OS WAS THE PROB!!

I put on Vista 64 bit and the problems went away, for some reason win7 64 doesnt like this set of hardware,

Wow. That's like curing the common cold with herpes.... I'm running 7 64 on mine without issues.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128408
That's what I was using (side-graded to a similar board, different layout was needed for my case) and it ran perfect. Shame too, that board is currently sitting in a box unused.

i think it was a bad install. and when you cloned the hdd to the new hdd you just copied all the crap. i really don't understand why you would clone the hdd when it wasnt working correctly in the first place?

I know it sounds weird but a full format and install of win7 64bit didnt do anything. then installed Vista 64 and it runs pretty much as fast as my Intel machine thats clocked at 4ghz lol. the system FLIES now and pretty damn good for a 2.6ghz quad with only 2Mb of cache.

I have never had a problem like with this with Windows 7 and I have installed it on over 20 machines. anyway Vista works and Im glad.

i think it was a bad install. and when you cloned the hdd to the new hdd you just copied all the crap. i really don't understand why you would clone the hdd when it wasnt working correctly in the first place?

I did a format and fresh install on 3 different harddrives with Win 7. they all did the same as soon as I put Vista on the OLDEST drive, the maxtor 160 gig. the difference was quite obvious. I find this as weird as you do.

No I did ghost at first and then formatted, I wasnt just sitting here waiting for Opinions, in the 24 hours I did a lot of troublshooting, I just didnt update the thread with everything I did. bottomline is I evetually formatted 3 drives and installed win 7 and none of em helped.

This is a curious problem indeed; there seems to be some contributing factor that we have not yet uncovered here.

bad install media?

Nope, I use the disk all the time including today on a different build. as weird as it sounds the OS did not seem to like that system, I just cant explain it. currently the system in question is running with a virtualized version of the clients old physical machine and network, and the system flies, No lag at all. I do want to say I had ONE issue similar to this on my own computer in my sig.

I used wubi to install Ubuntu 64 and for some reason linux would make one core idle at 100%. and Firefox would take a good 7 seconds to open up and connect. this is on a 4ghz quad with 8gigs of ram. the system was overall slower than the Windows 7 partion running on the SAME system. I removed Ubuntu and tried kbuntu. and the SAME thing happened. my Xp MCE and WIN 7 never gave any problems with lag using the same system with the same exact resources.

Could be a default driver issue. SATA controller drivers... something like that. Did you get the latest drivers for that board from the Gigabyte website?

Could the IDE/sata controller be running in PIO mode for some reason? That would slow it down significantly...

Wow that system's got gremlins. Torch it and start over.... But for real did you try DOD wiping the HDD?? (You can use Ultimate Bood CD for this.) Formats will still leave footprints. As others have stated too it could be a controller issue on the MOBO.

Back