new Q6600, some questions

gnewbury

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - September 2007
Got my new Q6600 w/ an ECSG31T-M m/b - No overclocking - and 2GB RAM.
Q1 - Just slapped it together with the default h/s and paste. I'm seeing temps of 20deg C, 68 deg F after it's been running for over 30 min (while I'm waiting four Ubunto64 to download).
Is this normal?
It's not heating my house!!

Q2 - The only Ubunto 64 I saw was labeled AMD - is this the one??

Fold ON!!

What are you using to check temps? It's probably using the wrong Tjunction so you're getting temps reported 15* lower than what they really are. Get the latest version of Coretemp and see what it says.

I'm checking the temps with the BIOS, don't even have an OS yet.

i cant imagine the temps in bios would even be that low....maybe when you just turned on the pc, but even letting it run for a little while should at least put in maybe in the 80s....my procs hover around 85 at idle at the lowest

I'm getting STEAMED
Went to the Stanford site couldn't download linux SMP client, tried finstall, can't get that to create an executable I can run with ./fah6.
WTF!!
I'm trying to run ubunto64 bit.
The base files show up but I can't run config.
Files such a FaH show up but wit "./FaH -config" it bombs saying it can;t find fah6, which is there.
WTF am I doing wrong -
I try to execute ./fah6
can't find the file
"file fah6" shows it's an executable
I think this Ubunto crap has become too simplified.
I've spent 3 hours on it and not gotten anywhere.

Except I finally got my temps up to 74 deg F.

You can find detailed Linux SMP install here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP - all I did was copy / paste commands trom this guide to terminal and its working without problem (Ubuntu 7.10).
Thanks - That's a different path than I had gotten before for download, however when I get to the point:
./fah6 -smp -configonly
I get "unable to execute"
I've chmoded the file but it just won't run.
Could I have gotten the wrong version of Ubunto?

Not sure if it applies here, I've only been dating linux for about a week and first base seems so out of reach but, I was unable to run the ./FAH6 till i logged in as the "root" (please correct me if this is wrong as I'm still learning) admin, I'm useing suse 10.2 so again not sure if it applies but the command was "su" without the quotes, the console the asked me for the root password and all was well and all commands seemed to work fine.

As for question 2, I belive that you did get the right version of Ubunto

Fixed - finally
Had to install another lib, found by googling a whole bunch of terms.
Still, after 30 min's at full bore only got temps up to 73 deg F.
Heatsink is almost cool to touch.
NEED MORE HEAT!!
Ambient's about 60.
/edit
and thanks Bluefish, I'd been trying to run as root (sudo) because Ubunto, although easy to install, doesn't natively allow one to run as root, you have to "sudo". Another OS smarter than the average user.

I'm another Linux noob here.
I'm running on CentOS-5, a version of Red Hat.

I use as root "chown -R your-name folding-directory" sans quotes to take control of my folding folder.
That way I dont need to run it as root.

Glad you got it running.

Luck .......... :D

But still my temps are only up to 80 deg F, I'm only using 95W of power and all 4 cores are not maxing out.
Do I need to run 2 SMP clients?
more research

ubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64.iso is the correct version to use to run the SMP client.

I would guess the ECS BIOS is giving incorrect temps. Maybe a later BIOS update will give the correct temps.

I keep these commands on a memory stick to get the SMP client going on a new install of Ubuntu 7.10.

Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH

cd ~/folding/FAH

wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz

tar xzf FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz

./fah6 -smp -configonly

Enter your passkey in the configuration when asked.
Passkey: Your Passkey

Optional script to start F@H with flags:

echo "./fah6 -smp -forceasm -advmethods -verbosity 9" > FAH

chmod +x FAH

Thanks Chelsea
Long time no hear!!
Anyways I suspect the temps are close. The fins on the h/s are barely warm.
But it looks like VMWare is only a 60 day trial.
Do you know if anyone has tried dual SMP clients on a quad?

Thanks Chelsea
Long time no hear!!
Anyways I suspect the temps are close. The fins on the h/s are barely warm.
Do you know if anyone has tried dual SMP clients on a quad?

VMware server is totaly free (not a 60day trial. You need to run VMware when you run 2 smp clients (one in each O/S) so that you can assign 2 cores to each client.

That's a pretty big detail you forgot to mention. I thought you were installing Ubuntu on your machine, not running it in a VM.

I don't run VMWare, but I'm sure there's a free version. I think the free version only uses 2 cores though, so you have to run 2 VM's to use all 4 cores of your quad. It's much easier to just install Linux as your main OS, or just run the older v5.91 Windows SMP client.

That's a pretty big detail you forgot to mention. I thought you were installing Ubuntu on your machine, not running it in a VM.

I don't run VMWare, but I'm sure there's a free version. I think the free version only uses 2 cores though, so you have to run 2 VM's to use all 4 cores of your quad. It's much easier to just install Linux as your main OS, or just run the older v5.91 Windows SMP client.

Yes, I'm running Ubunto, but it's not maxing out 4 cores and only putting out a measly 2,100ppd.

yea, you'll have to run 2 VMs....run one client in each VM. set the affinity on one VM to CPU0/1 and the affinity on the 2nd VM to CPU2/3

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=124
You might want to read that thread.
It explains how to set up dual clients on an Ubunto Linux box.

Also which protien are you crunching.
If you've got a p2608 then its a slow one and you'll see ~700 PpD drop in points compared to the quick ones ....... :(
Under Linux:- p2608 = ~1,250 PpD, p2605 = 2,050 PpD.
Under Windoze:- p2608= ~930 PpD, p2653= ~1,500 PpD.

Edit. All my quads are running dual Linux VM's under Windoze. I get a nice PpD increase of ~ 400 PpD per VM.

Luck ............... :D

That's odd about the power consumption. With my Q6600 (G0 stepping), SMP client draws 130w. At 2.7ghz, 141-142w.

All measured with a Killawatt.

Yes Bill, but MY system is running what I mentioned in my first post with only 1@ 40Gb IBM HD. No video card (built in) NO cards at all.
97 watts measured with Killowatt - I don't include the monitor. I could probably shave another 8 watts off if I go to a thumb drive.
Actually I just checked again, it fluctuates from 96 to 99 watts :)
/edit - oh mouse and kb

To diagnose what is wrong, open the Terminal window and type "top". this will bring a list of running processes and you should see 4 FahCore instances on the top. If not, there is something wrong.

Did you run finstall with the -smp flag ?

To diagnose what is wrong, open the Terminal window and type "top". this will bring a list of running processes and you should see 4 FahCore instances on the top. If not, there is something wrong.

Did you run finstall with the -smp flag ?

Thanks, but - prettier than "top" Ubunto comes with a neat graphical display and shows that 4 cores are operating, ususally between 55% and 99%. With four Fah processes.

See the start of the thread - where I was hot and my computer was not.
Finstall did not work because I had to download a lib. Fixed that and didn't use finstall.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs That's the culprit that had me pulling my hair out too for about an hour....oh wait....i'm already bald :D After getting the ia32libs installed, fah6 will execute just fine.

With a 4 core CPU regardless of your OS you shouldn’t see any of the cores go above 25% or so, typically 23 to 24%. Add them together and you get to 100 or very close to 100% usage. This is normal for a quad.

Also keep in mind as per your OP you are running stock at 2.4 while probably most of us here are at 3.0 and over. As a rule the Q6600 will run up to 3.5 with proper cooling and real world voltages. I say real world because the CPU is rated at 1.35 max Vcore and to me real world would be a max of 1.4.

I see a ton of posts where guys are running 1.5, 1.55, 1.6 and up Vcore for very little gain on the over clock but they are creating a ton of heat.

Please don’t rely on the bios of that board for any kind of accurate reading on heat but you should be feeling warmth from the stock HSF even at stock speeds. Be sure the HSF is seated properly and I’d suggest pealing off that goo Intel put on the HSF and try a drop of AS-5 or at worst even the old white silicone stuff. Typical idle temps on that Quad at stock voltage should be in the low 30c area and I’ve seen them as high as 40c.

Enjoy your new toy and fold on;)

Back