New PSU suggestion

MrMackey

n00b
Hi there,

I am getting a new system with a 3090FE and a 12900K, which is expected to be pushed from time to time, but I do not plan to overclock. Checking the specs of these I see that a 3090 has a TDP of 350W and 12900K of 250W at stock settings (600W total).
Which high-grade PSU would you suggest that will also be able to withstand potential future upgrades? Is 750 enough? Would I need to go as high as 1k?

Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't go any less then 850w for that system. 1k will give your PSU breathing room and keep it from running near the edge. Anything from Corsair, seasonic, EVGA or super flower will get the job.

Thanks for the answer. Corsair has got me confused with their namings, HXi is EOL, low-wattage AX are also gone. Seems that people (this generalization is what I deduced by scouting the Internet) prefer HX1000 over anything else. Seasonic has 2 years longer warranty but is single-rail. Not sure if that is actually an issue if the PSU is high-quality, but ok.
I have never used EVGA, SF or Antec to be honest. What about be quiet's?

Thanks for the answer. Corsair has got me confused with their namings, HXi is EOL, low-wattage AX are also gone. Seems that people (this generalization is what I deduced by scouting the Internet) prefer HX1000 over anything else. Seasonic has 2 years longer warranty but is single-rail. Not sure if that is actually an issue if the PSU is high-quality, but ok.
I have never used EVGA, SF or Antec to be honest. What about be quiet's?
Rail is not an issue anymore. Most high end corsair are SS PSUs. EVGA is a mixed bag now as far as their supplier. I have a G5 750W that's doing okay so far. I mainly buy SS though, own a prime, focus, and snow silent.

I wouldn't go any less then 850w for that system. 1k will give your PSU breathing room and keep it from running near the edge. Anything from Corsair, seasonic, EVGA or super flower will get the job.
No. Not all Corsair units are good. They are made by a variety of different OEM's. Not all of them are good. Seasonic is usually good to go, EVGA is also a mixed bag. I don't know much about Super Flower off hand.

No. Not all Corsair units are good. They are made by a variety of different OEM's. Not all of them are good. Seasonic is usually good to go, EVGA is also a mixed bag. I don't know much about Super Flower off hand.
EVGA and Corsair might have some iffy units but they have the best RMA service in case you do have a issue.

Rail is not an issue anymore. Most high end corsair are SS PSUs. EVGA is a mixed bag now as far as their supplier. I have a G5 750W that's doing okay so far. I mainly buy SS though, own a prime, focus, and snow silent.
As far as I know, Corsair has moved to CTW for high end units (BQ has FSP and CTW). Can you elaborate on the single-rail? My thought was that at least on 1000W having high OCP on a single rail can be rather dangerous. Of course that depends on the PSU quality features. I'm currently on a SS 750 Titanium, worked fine so far.

EVGA and Corsair might have some iffy units but they have the best RMA service in case you do have a issue.
I agree, my experience with Corsair support has been rather excellent.

So, what are your suggestions on specific models? Do I need to go more than 750? 850? 1000? I won't exceed stock, only issues are the GPU spikes and future upgrades. I hope NVIDIA doesn't have its next GPUs requiring 900W in stock :)

As far as I know, Corsair has moved to CTW for high end units (BQ has FSP and CTW). Can you elaborate on the single-rail? My thought was that at least on 1000W having high OCP on a single rail can be rather dangerous. Of course that depends on the PSU quality features. I'm currently on a SS 750 Titanium, worked fine so far.

So, what are your suggestions on specific models? Do I need to go more than 750? 850? 1000? I won't exceed stock, only issues are the GPU spikes and future upgrades. I hope NVIDIA doesn't have its next GPUs requiring 900W in stock :)
I got a 1000w Super flower Platinum earlier this year and it has been solid. I paid $200 for it on NE. I seen it drop as low as $160.

I got a 1000w Super flower Platinum earlier this year and it has been solid. I paid $200 for it on NE. I seen it drop as low as $160.
Never used them and can't find them here (Greece), I've heard they're good options. I'm leaning towards the HX (850 or 1000).

Well, I've blown up a bunch of bigger Corsair units. An AX1200, RM1000i, etc. To be fair, I hit them harder than anyone I know outside of the few decent power supply reviewers out there. But, Corsair units have never lasted me all that long. Come to think of it, I kill a lot of their stuff. Mostly PSU's and SSD's.

Recent beQuiet! models in the Straight Power 11 and Dark Power 12 series have had good trusted reviews, and they may have better availability in your location as well. Just make sure to cross reference reviews for the specific model you're looking at before purchase.

Hi there,

I am getting a new system with a 3090FE and a 12900K, which is expected to be pushed from time to time, but I do not plan to overclock. Checking the specs of these I see that a 3090 has a TDP of 350W and 12900K of 250W at stock settings (600W total).
Which high-grade PSU would you suggest that will also be able to withstand potential future upgrades? Is 750 enough? Would I need to go as high as 1k?

Thank you in advance!
I would definitely go for 850w minimum, 1k is overkill though. I'd go for a gold if it's no more than $30-$40 more expensive than bronze

Well, I've blown up a bunch of bigger Corsair units. An AX1200, RM1000i, etc. To be fair, I hit them harder than anyone I know outside of the few decent power supply reviewers out there. But, Corsair units have never lasted me all that long. Come to think of it, I kill a lot of their stuff. Mostly PSU's and SSD's.
Same here tbh, my old Corsair AX850 died after 5-6 years, but I think it was also out of warranty back then.
Recent beQuiet! models in the Straight Power 11 and Dark Power 12 series have had good trusted reviews, and they may have better availability in your location as well. Just make sure to cross reference reviews for the specific model you're looking at before purchase.
They are, but I assume it's a good brand. Seems 12 Pro is getting good reviews, 12 is so and so as it has very high OCP on each of the multi-rails.
I would definitely go for 850w minimum, 1k is overkill though. I'd go for a gold if it's no more than $30-$40 more expensive than bronze
Don't really care about the money on this. It could most likely be Titanium or Platinum, even though this might not directly correlate with improved quality.

Oh I'm probably overthinking this with so many options, but it's first time I need to go higher on wattages. I might just get any of the HX, TX, DPP and be done with it :)

Don't really care about the money on this. It could most likely be Titanium or Platinum, even though this might not directly correlate with improved quality.

Oh I'm probably overthinking this with so many options, but it's first time I need to go higher on wattages. I might just get any of the HX, TX, DPP and be done with it :)
I understand money is not an issue but it's kinda the whole point unless your are concerned about wasted energy and protecting the environment there is no other reason to care about which PSU that you get from popular brands. Generally the gold and higher get you 7-10year warranty. If you don't care about the money get a titanium one like a boss! But not from corsair lol.

I understand money is not an issue but it's kinda the whole point unless your are concerned about wasted energy and protecting the environment there is no other reason to care about which PSU that you get from popular brands. Generally the gold and higher get you 7-10year warranty. If you don't care about the money get a titanium one like a boss! But not from corsair lol.
This will be used for my work, so the budget is relaxed. Corsair's Titaniums are on the 1500W+ range, which is extremely overkill for a machine with a single GPU that runs in stock. And the whole point of increased wattage is to cope with the recent huge energy high load demands from GPU and CPU vendors. Yeah, I will just get a good 850/1000, no point overdiscussing which of the good brands is better. Thanks!

Reactions: kaneO
like this
This will be used for my work, so the budget is relaxed. Corsair's Titaniums are on the 1500W+ range, which is extremely overkill for a machine with a single GPU that runs in stock. And the whole point of increased wattage is to cope with the recent huge energy high load demands from GPU and CPU vendors. Yeah, I will just get a good 850/1000, no point overdiscussing which of the good brands is better. Thanks!
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1000-XR

This EVGA 1000w Platnium is solid for $169. Which is almost half off atm.

I use a 10yr old 750W with my 450W 3090, and a clocked 10700K on water.
But if purchasing a new unit it would be 850W Seasonic, 850W to be sure it has legs at the end of its warranty.
I'm only using the 750W because it continues to work great and was sat around being a spare.

edit
The most I have seen pulled from the wall is 660W with this setup.
Take away 10% because its 90% efficient, this PC can suck around 600W from the PSU.
An 850W would give decent headroom.

Last edited:
Wait......ain't Corsair and eVGA resource to SeaSonic for their PSU? I have several Corsair and one eVGA and one SeaSonic and all pretty much have the same cable system and in those reviews with the Johny Guru dude it seems like he mentioned that Corsair sells them under their name but are SeaSonic units, just like ASUS ROG PSUs but they just add better heatsinks which is probably why they're more expensive, nevertheless SeaSonic.
Either way, I only buy Corsair. Wish I could slap an ASUS ROG just for the looks but not right now...............So yeah, I'd say go with a Corsair. This one: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...-1000w/p/N82E16817139273?Item=N82E16817139273

I have the 750X, works great and I like that it has in-line capacitors on the main cables, like my G2 750W and old 750X and SeaSonic 550W.

Some Corsair were based on Seasonic, I'm still using a 10yr old Corsair based on one.
Its not a given though, not all are Seasonic.

Recent Corsairs are CWT. There have also been great reviews on the new Corsair RMx series as well. It is only gold, but still. Not many reviews on the renewed Seasonic Prime-TX unfortunately.
I don't know, I am still not convinced that staying single-rail on high wattages is safe (850+). Then again, I do not have that deep knowledge in electronics.

I don't know what "recent" is to you but for me, I got the RM750X from 2018 and the RM750X 2021 and I checked the insides of both and there isn't any difference other than where the connectors in the back are for the SATA, the rest is the same and also same goes for the cables, in-line capacitors, I like the 2021 a little more because of the cutouts for the PSU case, they're cut in triangles. Capacitor, heatsinks, pretty much everything else.

I also have a Corsair RM1000i and that one is also controlled by the software and I can either use multi-rail or single rail, I will never go with multi-rail PSUs, for me, it's always been single-rail and before and during the early and mid 2000s I never considered semi/partial modular either but the RM1000i changed me and also it's impossible to buy a PSU that is not modular. For 10 years I used the PC Power & Cooling 750.

I like Seasonic, but the only one I'd consider is the one with the fan, the other two I wouldn't, when my RM1000i ran fanless (controlled by the software) the PSU ran hot, at about 40-44C (twice it shot down the PC), then I set the fan to run at low RPM and it went down to 22-25c and no issues. So, I'd say the Focus GX-1000 if Seasonic is what you want. Me? I'd still prefer the Corsair, mainly because of the in-line capacitors on the main cables, no other brand offers that, and important or not? I'd rather have the extra capacitors.

Last edited:
I don't know what "recent" is to you but for me, I got the RM750X from 2018 and the RM750X 2021 and I checked the insides of both and there isn't any difference other than where the connectors in the back are for the SATA, the rest is the same and also same goes for the cables, in-line capacitors, I like the 2021 a little more because of the cutouts for the PSU case, they're cut in triangles. Capacitor, heatsinks, pretty much everything else.
I think all the latest are CWT, including the ones you mentioned (source here). AX was Seasonic. Not that it makes a difference, I just pointed that out because I checked it recently.

I also have a Corsair RM1000i and that one is also controlled by the software and I can either use multi-rail or single rail, I will never go with multi-rail PSUs, for me, it's always been single-rail and before and during the early and mid 2000s I never considered semi/partial modular either but the RM1000i changed me and also it's impossible to buy a PSU that is not modular. For 10 years I used the PC Power & Cooling 750.
Why not? I assumed that it is supposed to be "safer" in case everything else goes to hell. However, in my opinion, it would be very difficult for a high quality PSU to have this issue, but it's still a safety feature. For history purposes, I always had single-rail as well, but also never had to exceed 750W PSU.

I like Seasonic, but the only one I'd consider is the one with the fan, the other two I wouldn't, when my RM1000i ran fanless (controlled by the software) the PSU ran hot, at about 40-44C (twice it shot down the PC), then I set the fan to run at low RPM and it went down to 22-25c and no issues. So, I'd say the Focus GX-1000 if Seasonic is what you want. Me? I'd still prefer the Corsair, mainly because of the in-line capacitors on the main cables, no other brand offers that, and important or not? I'd rather have the extra capacitors.
Yeah I wouldn't go for fanless either. Between GX and TX (1000 or 850) I would choose the latter (if money was not an issue ofc - 2 more years warranty). I agree with your point about the capacitors.
Alternatively, as I mentioned above HX or DPP (or RM 2021 for 850W, as its a newer platform). I'm still waiting for the memories I preordered to come in stock, so I'm taking my time. This is also a bad thing as I'm not deciding for something I shouldn't spend so much time on.

Last edited:
Well, seems like the other ones are built by CTW also. But I guess I got confused with the reviews and thought seeing Seasonic making it for them, guess not. I'm gonna have to open my Seasonic 550W and see how different is from the Corsair 2018 and 2021 editions.

Although I will say, if you're going for a PSU, go with a min of 1,000W, those new 3 series cards draw a lot of power and the new 12 Gen being 16 cores? I'd go with a lot of headroom just to be on the safe side. I received this RM1000i as a gift but normally I buy 750W max.

Don't overthink it, get the 1000 GX and save the $75. Or the RM1000x for $179 also.

Although I will say, if you're going for a PSU, go with a min of 1,000W, those new 3 series cards draw a lot of power and the new 12 Gen being 16 cores? I'd go with a lot of headroom just to be on the safe side. I received this RM1000i as a gift but normally I buy 750W max.

Don't overthink it, get the 1000 GX and save the $75. Or the RM1000x for $179 also.
You think so? I do not intend to overclock. Even if a GPU spikes to 500W, the CPU can be limited to 150-200W (assuming both are 100%). So, I feel that you would end up most of the time with an underutilized PSU. There are also inefficient at low loads. Of course, low loads is low loads, so the wattage cost is literally nothing.

I know I keep coming back to this, probably because of fear of losing expensive equipment and maybe the need for some reassurance but, in the case of 1000W, isn't a multi-rail protection better? Like the one from HX?

You think so? I do not intend to overclock. Even if a GPU spikes to 500W, the CPU can be limited to 150-200W (assuming both are 100%). So, I feel that you would end up most of the time with an underutilized PSU. There are also inefficient at low loads. Of course, low loads is low loads, so the wattage cost is literally nothing.

I know I keep coming back to this, probably because of fear of losing expensive equipment and maybe the need for some reassurance but, in the case of 1000W, isn't a multi-rail protection better? Like the one from HX?
You will be fine with what ever you get from the reputable brands. The only PSU that blow up and take out your system are the cheap Chinese junk. Quit over thinking it.

Underutilized? Depending on the psu the higher watt psu's draw less power from the wall and are more efficient then lower watt ones.

You think so? I do not intend to overclock. Even if a GPU spikes to 500W, the CPU can be limited to 150-200W (assuming both are 100%). So, I feel that you would end up most of the time with an underutilized PSU.
When the next gen GPUs come out, what are you going to do? Sell your old GPU or swap it to the other slot? It wouldn't be the worst thing to buy a PSU that can handle that combined load now.

There are also inefficient at low loads. Of course, low loads is low loads, so the wattage cost is literally nothing.

By the time you hit 300W, you'll already be at peak efficiency.
549370_Wk4R6FdXrUwwrYeZZWVmLZ-1310-80.png

Single rail is a lot easier to deal with because you don't have to worry about balancing load between rails. On a multi-rail 1000W unit, you'd have to make sure your CPU and GPU were on different rails otherwise their combined load would cross the OCP limit by like 50%. On a single rail, "any port in a storm!"

Last edited:
When the next gen GPUs come out, what are you going to do? Sell your old GPU or swap it to the other slot? It wouldn't be the worst thing to buy a GPU that can handle that combined load now.
I would sell the old one. Never had double GPUs, if that is what you are referring to. Only once at work where i used both an AMD and NVIDIA GPU, each card was connected a different screen. I was doing some measurements and suprisingly, it worked fine!
Single rail is a lot easier to deal with because you don't have to worry about balancing load between rails. On a multi-rail 1000W unit, you'd have to make sure your CPU and GPU were on different rails otherwise their combined load would cross the OCP limit by like 50%. On a single rail, "any port in a storm!"
Yeah but if something goes wrong, everything is on that rail :). But again, many great brands stick or mainly offer single-rail units and I am sure that it is not because of “cheapness”, otherwise they would not offer 10+ year warranties. I agree with your point (of balancing) and with the other user above; the problem rises with cheap vendors, not reputable ones. Sometimes reviews tend to trouble you more than help you, unfortunately, as I had never been worried of such issues in the past.

You should pick one of these deals they have been running lately. Some sweet seasonic ones and that nice EVGA P2 (superflower) 1kw deal.

You’re right. Thanks!
That is NEVER the case, and case in point here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-issues-hx1200-hx1200i-psu-recall

Even reputable vendors can have quality issues sometimes, more than one has in the past.

Upon some reading I found this:

"There is however a benefit that one of them offers over the other: safety. For low wattage units this doesn’t matter, as the max Amperage will be triggered on either single-rail or multi-rail PSUs in the event of an overload. However, as you reach higher wattage units, you’ll find that it’s very difficult to hit the max Amperage of the PSU on a single-rail unit. Chances are in the event of an overload on the +12V power source, it’s going to potentially burn your components or itself before OCP kicks in. In this scenario, multi-rail PSU’s are better simply because each rail has a lower Amperage rating that is a portion of the power supply’s maximum. It’ll make the OCP easier to trigger, and therefore, more likely to save your components from harm."

Well, my PSU is on a surge protector and it's a 1000W, and #2 I'm yet to hear or experience of a PSU taking out your components, so basically it wouldn't matter at this point if you go Multi or Single rail.

But one thing is for sure.........I wouldn't spend an extra $75-$100 for a Platinum PSU version over a Gold when the wattage and warranty are the same.

That is NEVER the case, and case in point here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-issues-hx1200-hx1200i-psu-recall

Even reputable vendors can have quality issues sometimes, more than one has in the past.
It is rare, but you are safer. High-quality PSUs from good vendors rarely have issues. Seasonic had (has?) also issues with the Prime series tripping with RTX 3000 cards, even though this was (is) probably an NVIDIA issue rather than Seasonic's.

Upon some reading I found this:

"There is however a benefit that one of them offers over the other: safety. For low wattage units this doesn’t matter, as the max Amperage will be triggered on either single-rail or multi-rail PSUs in the event of an overload. However, as you reach higher wattage units, you’ll find that it’s very difficult to hit the max Amperage of the PSU on a single-rail unit. Chances are in the event of an overload on the +12V power source, it’s going to potentially burn your components or itself before OCP kicks in. In this scenario, multi-rail PSU’s are better simply because each rail has a lower Amperage rating that is a portion of the power supply’s maximum. It’ll make the OCP easier to trigger, and therefore, more likely to save your components from harm."

Well, my PSU is on a surge protector and it's a 1000W, and #2 I'm yet to hear or experience of a PSU taking out your components, so basically it wouldn't matter at this point if you go Multi or Single rail.

But one thing is for sure.........I wouldn't spend an extra $75-$100 for a Platinum PSU version over a Gold when the wattage and warranty are the same.
I have read that too. I think most quality PSUs have enough safety to just shut down.

Back