new psu. kindof on a budget.

My brother just gave me my Christmas present early, a 9800 gtx to replace my 8800gts 640. I like it. a little faster... anyway, I gave him my old card (I didn't really need it anymore, and he has an old 6600gt. lol) THe problem is that he has a 480W Tt PSU, and only has like 16-18 amps on a single 12v rail.

I wish I could go out and get him a 620HX like I have, but I cant aford to spend that much on him. What is a good sugestion for a PSU, that is somewhat decent enough, but not a cheep pos? I'd like to keep it as cheep as possible, (not any higher than $70ish if I can help it), but If I could find something that works better, that would be fine too.

The rest of his specs are, s939 athlon-64 3200, ausus a8n-sli dlx, 1 GB of ram, 2 hd, 2 optical, and a few 120mm fans. (and the 8800gts now too).

This. I've been using it since February and hasn't given me a lick of trouble, and is $45 AR. Plenty of power for a GTX 280 or 4870 with a Quad, it's quiet, and it's cheap! Only downside is that the ATX and EPS connectors are on the short side for bottom PSU mount cases.

I pick up a corsair 450vx any time they go on sale for $40 AR. They're the best buys IMO, they'll power just about any single cpu/gpu system without a problem (I had one in a rig with [email protected], an OC'd 8800GTX and 6 SATA drives)

This. I've been using it since February and hasn't given me a lick of trouble, and is $45 AR. Plenty of power for a GTX 280 or 4870 with a Quad, it's quiet, and it's cheap! Only downside is that the ATX and EPS connectors are on the short side for bottom PSU mount cases.

The StealthXStream line isn't particularly good compared to the competition. They exhibit a lot of voltage fluctuations at high loads which can be detrimental to the components it's attached to. Any of the PSUs from the list I posted above would be a much better choice.

Back