New PSU Calculator

Solar

Limp Gawd
So I'm Googling 'Opteron 80 amps' (yes at 4am) and (in essence) I come across this on the second search page:
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

It's an updated PSU calculator. I know these have been popular in the past but I have not seen an updated one for a while. This one is current. It has a lot of current processors up there, like Intel's Core 2 Duo, a few current motherboard chipsets, and a good selections of graphics cards as well. Also you can add your own values if you overclock.

Props to SPCR forums and its member SnooP for putting it together. If you're an SPCR member he's looking for feedback. I'm not one, so I hope he doesn't mind me reposting this in this forum. Here's the original thread, to show your support:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forum...ghlight=&sid=1c3b85fac0def32c0c77c65f2ef3f24e

PSU calculators is pointless. They only calculate Watts which don´t say which PSU you need.

That thing thinks a 13A PSU at 384 A is enough on my overclocked rig :rolleyes:

haha this one is even funnier. 351 watts requirement for my rig, lmao. Dual 8800gtx's, overclocked, raptors, etc etc..

oqvist said:
PSU calculators is pointless. They only calculate Watts which don´t say which PSU you need.
Yeah you need something that will show the amps used * v = w. Not all psus have the same max amps on all the rails.

325watts and 23.6amps for my rig... oh damn it! i should of gotten a 350watt power supply instead of buying my enermax galaxy 1,000 watts.. lolz....

dude my antec true power 2.0 550watts.. kept on shutting off couldnt handle my current rig....i had to get a 1,000watt.. psu.. this calculator is retarded...

piako said:
Yeah you need something that will show the amps used * v = w. Not all psus have the same max amps on all the rails.

though it did show some but no way 13A is correct as MAX usage...

Even though you shouldn´t run a PSU above 75 % of it´s max it´s still quite misleading.

Doing better than most but if one follows the instructions in the sticky the Zippy calc is still more accurate.

Wow. Did some of you even look at the page as it provides amp draws? Most of the things I tried were correct. You still need to know how to read P/S power decals. A E6300 dual 8800GTX only need <350w and 25a. Doesn't mean you can use a Seasonic 380 even though it can supply 380w and 25a +12v. It can only do 20a max on the +12v before draining the +3.3v and 5v.

Kabuto said:
Wow. Did some of you even look at the page as it provides amp draws? Most of the things I tried were correct. You still need to know how to read P/S power decals. A E6300 dual 8800GTX only need <350w and 25a. Doesn't mean you can use a Seasonic 380 even though it can supply 380w and 25a +12v. It can only do 20a max on the +12v before draining the +3.3v and 5v.

Yes we did. And we noticed that it only gives 12v values. It is a good thing that there are no 5v needing power or any DRAM in a modern system that needs power.

Or the dubious good versus generic power supply ratings at the bottom.

12v is what most size on. You need to know how to find the correct wattage and amp output of the P/S 12v rail and not what is the max since that usually robs from the 3.3v/5v rails. He has improved the page even since I used it not long ago. This was the only PSU calc I found, off hand, that listed the 12v draws. Others just listed total watts.

Kabuto said:
12v is what most size on. You need to know how to find the correct wattage and amp output of the P/S 12v rail and not what is the max since that usually robs from the 3.3v/5v rails. He has improved the page even since I used it not long ago.

Again not exactly like I explained in my response to your other post. You say you need to find the correct 12v output but you are not accepting what the correct output is like i showed in my response to your other post.

This was the only PSU calc I found, off hand, that listed the 12v draws. Others just listed total watts.

http://www.zippy.com.tw/P_Budget.asp?lv_rfnbr=2

Not only will it give you 12v but also 5v, 3.3v, -5v, +5vsb and -12v output if you follow the instructions in the sticky is infinitely expandable.

Spectre said:

Not only will it give you 12v but also 5v, 3.3v, -5v, +5vsb and -12v output if you follow the instructions in the sticky is infinitely expandable.

Pretty neat, but outdated dropdowns. I would have to go find the stats almost my whole system to plugin to that one. In a less than a minute I found almost everything on the first one.

Kabuto said:
Pretty neat, but outdated dropdowns.

Spectre said:

You didn't read the sticky did you?

I would have to go find the stats almost my whole system to plugin to that one. In a less than a minute I found almost everything on the first one.

And it still wouldn't be as accurate.

Spectre, I think there should be a seperate sticky, "psu calculators" seperated from the rest, since we seem to have a billion of these a day :(

oqvist said:
though it did show some but no way 13A is correct as MAX usage...

Even though you shouldn´t run a PSU above 75 % of it´s max it´s still quite misleading.

I think the correct equation is Volts * Amps * Power Factor = W.

It's also interesting to note that the new 80+ standard is only measured at 20, 50, and 100% loads.

Also it's very difficult I've found to correctly acquire information from hardware vendors regarding AMPs used on 3.3, 5, and 12v lines per hardware peice.

Because of this the amps your system uses on the different voltage lines is hard sometimes to determine. Difficult to determine is usually RAM and PCI area stuff plus the mobo itself uses some degree of amps on different voltages.

Then you get into components that use multiple different amps on different voltages for a single component. Also HDD uses more voltage during spin up. Certain HDD use more voltage than others. If I remember correctly the WD lineup uses a technology that lowers amps used during startup so compared to other HDD the PSU calculators findings would be inconsistent.

Then you also get into stagared bootup and some RAID cards do not support certain HDD and also some HDD do not offer stagared (sp?) boot up so you need to account for peak power on amps which you usually have to dig thought a 200 page document to discover.

Because of this any PSU calculator would be pretty bogus since there are an infinite varation of possible hardware combinations.

Thakfully the people on HF are very correct and when I was building and learning about PSUs they correctly informed me about PSU arcana.

Ty.

piako said:
Also it's very difficult I've found to correctly acquire information from hardware vendors regarding AMPs used on 3.3, 5, and 12v lines per hardware peice.

Because of this the amps your system uses on the different voltage lines is hard sometimes to determine. Difficult to determine is usually RAM and PCI area stuff plus the mobo itself uses some degree of amps on different voltages.

Then you get into components that use multiple different amps on different voltages for a single component. Also HDD uses more voltage during spin up. Certain HDD use more voltage than others. If I remember correctly the WD lineup uses a technology that lowers amps used during startup so compared to other HDD the PSU calculators findings would be inconsistent.

All of the information you are looking for is provided by the manufacturers in their documentation, on the parts (drives, fans, whatnot), or on the web from people who have measured.

Well, I specifically e-mailed this vendor and asked them how many amps the card uses on the 5v and they could not respond with an answer.

http://firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1v4/spec/

I agree fans and HDD are readily available for specifications. Other components in my experience seem harder to find information for.

videomasterz said:
325watts and 23.6amps for my rig... oh damn it! i should of gotten a 350watt power supply instead of buying my enermax galaxy 1,000 watts.. lolz....

dude my antec true power 2.0 550watts.. kept on shutting off couldnt handle my current rig....i had to get a 1,000watt.. psu.. this calculator is retarded...

So it's your fault my house lights dim when you turn on your system :D

Just kidding, nice rig, I'm jealous.

I have not found in my years of playing with various systems that a generic calculator doesn't work very well unless you add about 50% to its results. There are just to many variables involved with systems. Besides, you always want to upgrade.....but you don't want to have to upgrade your ps every time.

You got stoped by their auto answering or some lowlevel nobody becuase they don't send their plans off to manufacture by whomever their manufacturing partner is without knowing how much power it is supposed to draw (how could they even design a product without having power requirements?????) and then checking the product aftewards. They would have to provide this information to their teir 1 system integrators.

piako said:
Well, I specifically e-mailed this vendor and asked them how many amps the card uses on the 5v and they could not respond with an answer.

http://firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1v4/spec/

I agree fans and HDD are readily available for specifications. Other components in my experience seem harder to find information for.

Back