New PS3 80 gig - HELP!

casperinian

Weaksauce
Hey Guys,

I follow all the gaming news pretty close. All of the press for the new 80gig goingon shelves as soon as stores order them and by the end of the month were said to be not backwards compatible. So I call bestbuy and gamestop looking for the MGS Bundle in hopes someone has one laying around. They both inform me, as well as their websites, that it does have backwards compatibility. Is the only way to know for sure to go to the store and physically examine the box?

Thanks,

Casper

Maybe they were talking about the old 80gb model that had software backwards compatibility. As far as i know, the new dual shock 80gb doesn't have any backwards compatibility.

Bestbuy says its compatible but some of the reviews say otherwise so I guess it's back to the search. On the upside, if wal-mart isn't lying about in store stock I might be in luck.

I can confirm that the MGS4 bundle has backwards compatibility.

I've played Disgaea, Shadow of the Colossus, Devil May Cry 3, FFXII and other PS2 games on my 80gb. You also get a DualShock 3 so you get rumble with all those games as well.

To clarify my original post, I wanted to know about the new 80gig for 399 dollars. I guess I went on a tangent explaining that while I was looking for a MGS Bundle they inform me the new SKU supports backwards compatibility just like the MGS Bundle. I know for sure MGS supports it.

The MSG bundles does have backwards compatibility. The new 80Gb (old 40Gb but with bigger hd) for $399 does not. None of the new PS3 (new 80Gb or upcoming 160Gb) will have backwards compatibility (at least from my understanding).

I think drew630 pretty much hit the nail on the head.
The MGS bundle (and previous 80GB models if anyone still has one) are the last with any BC for the PS2.
All of the new 80GB models and 160GB models won't.
I'm absolutely convinced Sony wants to keep those thriving PS2 sales rolling in, and I don't think it's a big enough selling point that anyone won't buy a PS3 as a result of it. It sucks, but I think it's a pretty wise plan for them. Get the MGS or the older 20/60/80GB models on eBay while you can.

Sony is coming out with a software update anyways some time this fall to enable software BC...buy whatever you want.

Hey Guys,

Is the only way to know for sure to go to the store and physically examine the box?

Thanks,

Casper

mgs4_ps3_bundle_box.jpg

I think that's a pretty good indication :eek:

Sony is coming out with a software update anyways some time this fall to enable software BC...buy whatever you want.

That's been rumored for a while, but there's no evidence of it. Right now PS2 sales are actually financing some of the losses Sony's taking on the PS3. That's one theorized reason for the lack of BC in the new PS3 models. They don't want to hurt PS2 sales, which are still pretty strong.

Anyway, while this might be possible - I wouldn't tell anyone to bank on it until there's some proof (any...at all).

Back