New PS Vita redesign and Vita TV hardware

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm about to do a brain dump here. So basically, this'll be similar to the nVidia controller thing (in a sense)? You'll grab a ps4, a vita tv, then be able to take the vita tv to the middle of east bum fuck somewhere, and be able to play all your ps4 and vita games?

I wouldn't be surprised if you had to be on the same network, but that's the general idea. It can also play some vita, psp, and ps1 games on its own.

I got the Slim PS3 when they came out with the Move bundle. But here lately there have been a ton of games going for cheap on Amazon. Used camelcamelcamel for price notifications and grabbed 7 already for 10-20 bucks.

Buying a used PS3 is a good investment imo, and many games are coming out at 39.99 as opposed to 59.99 since it's about to goto the wayside.

Eh, I'll look into it again when my finances are better.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had to be on the same network, but that's the general idea. It can also play some vita, psp, and ps1 games on its own.

This is incorrect.

The remote play functionality works across the internet as well, same as it does currently on the PS3 and Vita.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm about to do a brain dump here. So basically, this'll be similar to the nVidia controller thing (in a sense)? You'll grab a ps4, a vita tv, then be able to take the vita tv to the middle of east bum fuck somewhere, and be able to play all your ps4 and vita games?

The Vita TV will be exactly like a media extender for your PS4. For instance I have 3 HDTVs in my house, I'd buy a PS4 and two Vita TVs and be able to play the PS4 on any TV. Pause it in the living room for my wife's True Blood bullshit and go into the Office to continue playing.

If I have a Vita I can pretty much do the same thing but instead of in my house I am out in the city somewhere with a wifi connection.

The Vita TV will be exactly like a media extender for your PS4. For instance I have 3 HDTVs in my house, I'd buy a PS4 and two Vita TVs and be able to play the PS4 on any TV. Pause it in the living room for my wife's True Blood bullshit and go into the Office to continue playing.

If I have a Vita I can pretty much do the same thing but instead of in my house I am out in the city somewhere with a wifi connection.

Right, I get it. But can I grab the Vita TV, take it to someones house, and play my PS4/Vita games on it via their connection?

I guess it's just weird to think that PS4 games will be on the go.

Right, I get it. But can I grab the Vita TV, take it to someones house, and play my PS4/Vita games on it via their connection?

I guess it's just weird to think that PS4 games will be on the go.

I have not read anything about that but the functionality is built in so I don't see why not.

I have not read anything about that but the functionality is built in so I don't see why not.

It depends if the functionality requires you to be on the same network. A VPN could do the trick, I'd imagine, but the latency could end up being a bigger issue.

The Vita OLED panel I had was totally shit on mostly black screens. You could see blotches all over 3 of the 4 screen edges and a blob in the middle.

I saw those a couple times during load screens but never when dark scenes or even pure blacks are displayed. When anything else is on that screen it looks amazing.

It depends if the functionality requires you to be on the same network. A VPN could do the trick, I'd imagine, but the latency could end up being a bigger issue.

I'm just curious how that part will hold up, as being able to play in another room is a no brainer at this point, I had no doubt they'd get that to work flawlessly.

Well, thankfully we have a few months to get a Vita for before the 'refresh' gets released.

Fuck, that looks terrible, and washed out. I can only imagine the horror up close. I'm sure of course that people that have never experienced the original vita won't miss much, as they won't really have anything solid to compare against. So in a way, I suppose it doesn't even really matter.

I understand the vita tv is cheaper, and it'll let you play vita games, but that's part of the experience of owning the handheld itself, to be able to well, handle it!

I agree this is just me blabbering away, and not everyone wants a handheld, or that everyone needs something or on-the-go, but it's just how I feel, and I'm sure others do as well.

:eek:

That has to just be a bad picture, it can't be that bad.
Hope not.

Nothing wrong with the picture from what I see except that new screen looks like shit.
For those like me that have a current vita your smiling about now, and if you haven't bought one but want one. Get the current one now! It is a nice piece of hardware and at 199 now it definitely worth it.

Nothing wrong with the picture from what I see except that new screen looks like shit.
For those like me that have a current vita your smiling about now, and if you haven't bought one but want one. Get the current one now! It is a nice piece of hardware and at 199 now it definitely worth it.

Exactly. Hell, you can grab a like now one (person got bored with it? who knows...) on craigslist with maybe even a game or two included for $150'ish. People know they can't recoup their money on them, so they mark them down 40-50 bucks in hopes of regaining some of that money lost. Better for those of us that actually want the product though.

Looks like memory cards went down in price as well (15-20 bucks for some models), getting there...but still hilariously overpriced.

Especially considering you can get the 3G/Wifi model + The Walking Dead + 4GB memory card for the same price as just the Wifi model on Amazon. Good deal. I might do it.

Ars: Why the Vita TV and other "micro" consoles are doomed to fail.

IGN: Why Vita TV could be a game changer.

The Ars article was hilariously bad imo. He is comparing it to standalone PS3's and 360's and never really provides alternative viewpoints on why the Vita TV could do really well.

• Ability to stream PS4 games to another HDTV
  • Launches with 1000+ games (Vita, PSP, PS1)
  • Future Gaikai Support
  • Same price as Roku 3 and Apple TV
  • 1GB of storage (really only game saves)
  • Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services with no paywall.

Of course there are some negatives;

• No controller in the box
  • Small amount of internal memory
  • Memory cards still expensive
  • Only supports upto 1080i
  • Some Vita titles will not be compatible unless patched

When you look at those pros and cons, it is obvious who they are targeting here. They are targeting people who already game with the Playstation brand. If you already game under the PS brand you can remove some or most of those negatives outright.

This is not to say that people who are not in involved in the brand will overlook it. On the contrary if it was between a Roku 3 or Vita TV the choice should be obvious at their price points. The Vita simply gives people more options for their money.

If Sony wanted to put it in a better position they should consider a few things;

• Lower the price of the DualShock 3
  • Lower the price of the Vita memory cards (again)
  • Use a similar UI as the PS3/PS4 (this is up in the air, I have not seen it)
  • MSRP of 89.99 Stock | 99.99 with DualShock 3
  • Product placement (more on this later)

Sony needs to market this right, and I would like to see it in Best Buy beside a Roku3 and the other streaming boxes as opposed to in the gaming section. If they put it in the gaming sections I think it might get lost in the accessories isles (we have all seen them).

TV and magazine ads highlighting the multiple uses of the device is a must and tbh a commercial with the husband playing the PS4 just to have his wife kick him off to watch her soaps then goto his office to play would be cool.

Sony should also have a new SKU with this included (perhaps this was the rumor as opposed to the handheld Vita?). This would do a few things, namely broaden support for the Vita platform cheaper than including the handheld and gives gamers another outlet to play PS4 (office, bedroom, possibly at work, etc.).

At 499.99 a PS4 + Vita TV compared to a Xbox One is a no brainer choice in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ars: Why the Vita TV and other "micro" consoles are doomed to fail.

IGN: Why Vita TV could be a game changer.

The Ars article was hilariously bad imo. He is comparing it to standalone PS3's and 360's and never really provides alternative viewpoints on why the Vita TV could do really well.

• Ability to stream PS4 games to another HDTV
  • Launches with 1000+ games (Vita, PSP, PS1)
  • Future Gaikai Support
  • Same price as Roku 3 and Apple TV
  • 1GB of storage (really only game saves)
  • Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services with no paywall.

Of course there are some negatives;

• No controller in the box
  • Small amount of internal memory
  • Memory cards still expensive
  • Only supports upto 1080i
  • Some Vita titles will not be compatible unless patched

When you look at those pros and cons, it is obvious who they are targeting here. They are targeting people who already game with the Playstation brand. If you already game under the PS brand you can remove some or most of those negatives outright.

This is not to say that people who are not in involved in the brand will overlook it. On the contrary if it was between a Roku 3 or Vita TV the choice should be obvious at their price points. The Vita simply gives people more options for their money.

If Sony wanted to put it in a better position they should consider a few things;

• Lower the price of the DualShock 3
  • Lower the price of the Vita memory cards (again)
  • Use a similar UI as the PS3/PS4 (this is up in the air, I have not seen it)
  • MSRP of 89.99 Stock | 99.99 with DualShock 3
  • Product placement (more on this later)

Sony needs to market this right, and I would like to see it in Best Buy beside a Roku3 and the other streaming boxes as opposed to in the gaming section. If they put it in the gaming sections I think it might get lost in the accessories isles (we have all seen them).

TV and magazine ads highlighting the multiple uses of the device is a must and tbh a commercial with the husband playing the PS4 just to have his wife kick him off to watch her soaps then goto his office to play would be cool.

Sony should also have a new SKU with this included (perhaps this was the rumor as opposed to the handheld Vita?). This would do a few things, namely broaden support for the Vita platform cheaper than including the handheld and gives gamers another outlet to play PS4 (office, bedroom, possibly at work, etc.).

At 499.99 a PS4 + Vita TV compared to a Xbox One is a no brainer choice in my opinion.

Sony's problem is with their non-primary console Playstation devices (Vita, Vita TV, PSP, etc) is that they're stuck on their existing fans. They definitely appeal to their existing fans, but they don't help bring in any new gamers, and I think it's a wasted opportunity. Hell, if you consider the PS Vita as nothing more than an accessory to the PS3/PS4, then the way they market and develop games for it makes sense in a weird way.

Sony's problem is with their non-primary console Playstation devices (Vita, Vita TV, PSP, etc) is that they're stuck on their existing fans. They definitely appeal to their existing fans, but they don't help bring in any new gamers, and I think it's a wasted opportunity. Hell, if you consider the PS Vita as nothing more than an accessory to the PS3/PS4, then the way they market and develop games for it makes sense in a weird way.

Vita TV with the same services as a Roku 3 or Apple TV at the same price point would not cater to a larger audience?

Vita TV with the same services as a Roku 3 or Apple TV at the same price point would not cater to a larger audience?

It's not at the same price point. It won't work out of the box, you have to put additional money down on at least a controller unless it has support for a remote. In addition, the franchises/games that Sony releases for the handheld are, for the most part, the same franchises they release for their primary console.

And besides, Chrome TV is $35, so $100 for a streaming service device isn't that impressive anymore. Playing games on the Vita TV, which would require the purchase of a controller (or for the user to already have a Sony console), and it's not even compatible with all the Vita games.

It's not at the same price point. It won't work out of the box, you have to put additional money down on at least a controller unless it has support for a remote. In addition, the franchises/games that Sony releases for the handheld are, for the most part, the same franchises they release for their primary console.

And besides, Chrome TV is $35, so $100 for a streaming service device isn't that impressive anymore. Playing games on the Vita TV, which would require the purchase of a controller (or for the user to already have a Sony console), and it's not even compatible with all the Vita games.

No it is indeed the same price point, it just gives people more options if they want to play games. Buy a Roku 3 with no options or buy a Vita TV with the option to play Playstation branded games with the purchase of a controller.

The Chromecast really only boasts Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and content from a Chrome Browser (still buggy), and it's just much more limited compared to the Roku 3 (or Apple TV for that matter). Their apps might grow in the future but right now it is simply not as robust as the other two.

In fact I would think this would be the perfect fit for you, assuming Gaikai support comes in 2014 you could actually play PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and most Vita games instead of watching them on Youtube for 130 bucks!

No it is indeed the same price point (assuming they ship with a cheap remote), it just gives people more options if they want to play games. Buy a Roku 3 with no options or buy a Vita TV with the option to play Playstation branded games with the purchase of a controller.

The Chromecast really only boasts Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and content from a Chrome Browser (still buggy), and it's just much more limited compared to the Roku 3 (or Apple TV for that matter). Their apps might grow in the future but right now it is simply not as robust as the other two.

In fact I would think this would be the perfect fit for you, assuming Gaikai support comes in 2014 you could actually play PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and most Vita games instead of watching them on Youtube for 130 bucks!

Hopefully Sony will wise up and include some sort of media controller with the device, just a simple TV-style remote bundled with both basic and premium packages.

Also totally agree with next-Jin and his opinion that Sony should market and display this with TV streaming devices, it'd look like a total value powerhouse. It has all of the streaming services you need, allows you to play Vita games natively, and will offer game streaming abilities.

And I still think they should bundle the premium pack with a DS4. This way they can implement at least some basic touch control, and the controller itself acts a bit of a trojan horse for people to choose the PS4 over the XBone. ie: I'll save $60 by buying a PS4 instead of a Xbone because I've already got a spare controller for the Wife.

Maybe they are doing a trail run to see how sales go before producing for America, but I don't see why they wouldn't make it for America anyways.

Would importing it yourself even work? Would it be able to display the interface in English?

Just like they didn't have any plans for a Vita price dro-... oh wait.

Denying a price drop and denying a product release are two different things. The first hurts sales in the now the later doesn't.

I hope they do but I don't really see this as a smart choice here with all the other options available and it sounds like it has too many game play limitations.

PS Vita just isn't a competitor here, with all the android apple and other options never mind Nintendo's complete owning of the handheld market.

If it was that simple we would also already have had all the various different system colors and options Japan has been getting for ever.

I hope they do though for the right price and for god sake drop the memory cards lower they are still too high!

Back