New PS Vita redesign and Vita TV hardware

SeymourGore

Supreme [H]ardness
Pretty cool stuff, and I totally didn't see the PS Vita TV hardware coming.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/sony-reveals-a-new-playstation-vita-model

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/sony-reveals-new-hardware-ps-vita-tv

The most exciting feature for me is that PS Vita TV's ability to stream PS4 games to it, depending on the range and quality of the stream, that would really open up some nice family layout schemes (ie: main console in the livingroom, with a PS Vita TV hooked up in the office so Dad can sneak in some PS4 Madden.)

ku-xlarge.jpg

http://kotaku.com/introducing-ps-vita-tv-1276599936

Last edited:
The Vita TV seems really neat. Games that require the touchscreen not working with it is a major downside. DS4 support might fix that issue however.

They cheapened the screen is not oled. And this is all for Japan isn't it?

I'm really liking the idea of the PS Vita TV. Better platform support than Android consoles in regards to Vita games. This could be a nice system to have in addition to a PS4 in the same room as well.

The price point for the new Vita seems off to me, you'd think they could get it to 169.99 or so. The 64GB memory card is nice but will probably cost 120 bucks knowing Sony.

The Vita Console is the biggie. The ability to move to another TV in the house or play on my actual Vita is nice now. I'm sure the touch screen should be replaced with the DS4 touch controls.

Though I'm not sure how games that take advantage of the rear touch pad would work like tear away would work.

Also the Vita TV might be a very good alternative to a Roku 3 at that price point. Depends on what apps it can get and overall functionality I guess.

Yar, agree with the Vita revamp price feeling off. Perhaps when it's released for the Western market they'll bring the price down. Or maybe because they just brought the price down to $199, they want to see how well the unit will sell at that price point first. That screen quality could be a pretty big tradeoff, hoping to hear some hands on impressions soon.

Also, I think it'd be a good idea to bundle it with a Dual Shock 4 instead of a DS3; It'd give the console more value, and would allow more games to be supported (due to the built in touchpad).

The price point for the new Vita seems off to me, you'd think they could get it to 169.99 or so.

Try to find a phone with built in 3G, quad core processor, quad core graphics, 5" screen, and all the other stuff built in like touchpads and other sensors for $199 off contract. Still not a bad price imo. The new thinner, lighter, longer battery-life model is launching slightly cheaper (around $190) than the original Vita and is a lot better.

Try to find a phone with built in 3G, quad core processor, quad core graphics, 5" screen, and all the other stuff built in like touchpads and other sensors for $199 off contract. Still not a bad price imo. The new thinner, lighter, longer battery-life model is launching slightly cheaper (around $190) than the original Vita and is a lot better.

It still has 3G?

I was under the impression that they dropped it, and went with cheaper components.

I was sorta interested in the Vita TV thing, until I heard that most games won't work on it. That definitely limits the appeal.

I was sorta interested in the Vita TV thing, until I heard that most games won't work on it. That definitely limits the appeal.

Quite a few Vita games really don't require the touchscreen. Still, with DS4 support coming that should take care of it.

If they have the same TV apps that the PS3 does and maybe offer PLEX, I'll be all over it.

The extra battery life and thinness is nice and all, but I'd rather have the current model (and I do) personally. I use mine constantly, and the battery lasts a solid amount of time on train/plane rides. Nothing to the point where you're yearning for more play time, and if you are, you're probably playing it plugged in.

The loss of the OLED is a big deal IMO, the Vita's screen is gorgeous, but it might eat more battery power than a LCD. Love the use of a standard microUSB port, I hate proprietary cables. Making the vita lighter is a good thing, but IMHO making it thinner might be an issue. I think it's a little too thin already and a bit uncomfortable and hand cramping when playing platformers like Guacamelee.

A 64GB memory card is really needed now. My 32 is already almost full, but I hope they come to some common sense and price it under $80.

The extra battery life and thinness is nice and all, but I'd rather have the current model (and I do) personally. I use mine constantly, and the battery lasts a solid amount of time on train/plane rides. Nothing to the point where you're yearning for more play time, and if you are, you're probably playing it plugged in.

I have been using mine a lot more lately and it really is a great piece of hardware.
Sad about the screen redesign because the screen is the best thing about the Vita.

Everything else sounds great! Hopefully the LCD will be a good one, the pictures of the screen look decent.

I agree also, that battery life is pretty great considering how powerful it is.

Now this Vita TV thing, Whoa! Didn't see that coming. But here Sony does it again, now they are saying that not all Vita games are compatible. With Sony it is always two steps forward one step back.

Look at remote play on PS3 almost no point bothering. Hopefully things will be better on the PS4 because these are great ideas but they have to actually exist to be worth anything.

The loss of the OLED is a big deal IMO, the Vita's screen is gorgeous, but it might eat more battery power than a LCD. Love the use of a standard microUSB port, I hate proprietary cables. Making the vita lighter is a good thing, but IMHO making it thinner might be an issue. I think it's a little too thin already and a bit uncomfortable and hand cramping when playing platformers like Guacamelee.

A 64GB memory card is really needed now. My 32 is already almost full, but I hope they come to some common sense and price it under $80.

I agree with all of this. Basically, unless they add several hours to it (like 3+) during heavy gameplay, it's not going to really be worth it. Lighter is good, but thinner is a big no-no in my opinion, as it's already difficult to hold it unless you have a nice silicone grip or something that adds slightly more bulk to it. I'm not a big fan of touching my Vita without the rubber grip no it, as I can't stand smudges.

Does anyone know what type of LCD panel the Vita Slim will have?

I bet it's nowhere near as good as the oled one. This was a cost cut redesign. In which Sony is always cheapening their products. I hate my super slim compared to my launch PS3.

I could be wrong though. Still need those memory card prices lower Sony is high thinking the event price cut was close to good.

The Vita Console is the biggie. The ability to move to another TV in the house or play on my actual Vita is nice now. I'm sure the touch screen should be replaced with the DS4 touch controls.

Most of the touch screen support in the Vita is for tapping on things that won't exist on a black touch pad with no screen.

Just cuz they used OLED doesn't mean it's a good quality OLED. Mine burned in to hell already and I would take a high quality LCD any day.

The Vita OLED panel I had was totally shit on mostly black screens. You could see blotches all over 3 of the 4 screen edges and a blob in the middle.

Really? I've had mine since release and use it constantly, no issues as of yet. Still as crisp as ever.

Most of the touch screen support in the Vita is for tapping on things that won't exist on a black touch pad with no screen.

Yea but how many games use the back touch panel with the notable exception of tearaway?

Yea but how many games use the back touch panel with the notable exception of tearaway?

Uncharted uses it for some really stupid things. Actually, all of the touchscreen stuff in Uncharted Golden Abyss is pretty dumb.

Ill actually get the vita tv so I can play my ps one classics (ff 7-10) on the big screen.

The games that I own or have played all had a different way to do the same thing other than Little Deviants iirc and I would imagine Tearaway just by its very nature. I don't think they ever really needed it tbh most games just use the front.

Just read this,

Not all Vita games are compatible, though. The Vita TV does not support touch screen interfaces, so any game that prominently features touch screen controls will have to be played on a Vita handheld.

It's been mentioned several times in this thread. It launches only supporting the DS3 because the DS4 won't be out in Japan until February of next year. DS4 support will be added after the launch of the PS4. The smart thing for Sony to do at that point would be to use it to offset the touchscreen problem. Of course they could just let the Vita act as a controller as well for people that have both.

I bet it's nowhere near as good as the oled one. This was a cost cut redesign. In which Sony is always cheapening their products. I hate my super slim compared to my launch PS3.

I could be wrong though. Still need those memory card prices lower Sony is high thinking the event price cut was close to good.

I would guess would be an IPS panel. It would be really stupid to use a TN panel and make everything look like crap.

I could see it being a Samsung PLS type display.

PLS would be a better shot than IPS from what I've read. My guess is that Sony went with standard IPS though.

Vita TV sounds like an interesting idea. There were a handful of PSP games I would have loved to be able to pay for and download to a PS3. There weren't enough titles though for me to want to own a PSP. Giving people a way to play on their home console greatly increases the user base for Vita games. If money is made on selling games, not the handheld, then don't require the purchase of the handheld.

Yeah, that sucks. It would have been a cheap method of getting into some of the more popular Sony franchises.

Maybe I'll just check out a Ps3 eventually. My wife is pretty torn over Kingdom Hearts 1.5

I got the Slim PS3 when they came out with the Move bundle. But here lately there have been a ton of games going for cheap on Amazon. Used camelcamelcamel for price notifications and grabbed 7 already for 10-20 bucks.

Buying a used PS3 is a good investment imo, and many games are coming out at 39.99 as opposed to 59.99 since it's about to goto the wayside.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm about to do a brain dump here. So basically, this'll be similar to the nVidia controller thing (in a sense)? You'll grab a ps4, a vita tv, then be able to take the vita tv to the middle of east bum fuck somewhere, and be able to play all your ps4 and vita games?

Back