New products today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magic Mouse?

OOooooKKKkkkk.....

If i had the extra $$$ i'd get the mini server

Dang, did you see the resolution for the 27-inch iMac? I would so get it, if it had a blu-ray drive and esata connections. Two things that I need. :( Oh, plus I just recently upgraded too. :(

There's the Core i5 and i7 upgrade on the iMac line for those people jonesing for a CPU boost. Too bad there aren't really any apps that need it.

The new MacBook looks like a perfect college laptop.

Edit: Looks like ATi has made a return to the iMac line. You can choose either a 9400M or a Radeon HD4670 in the 21.5'' model, and either a Radeon HD4670 or Radeon HD4850 in the 27'' model.

Dang, did you see the resolution for the 27-inch iMac? I would so get it, if it had a blu-ray drive and esata connections. Two things that I need. :( Oh, plus I just recently upgraded too. :(

That display is certainly nice. I just wish they went with higher end video cards. It might be hard for a 4850 to drive that with modern games. At least that's my wish.
DDR3 ram at 1066mhz is on the low end. I wish they went with 1600 DDR3.

Hmm, I was reading the specs for the 27-inch iMac at Apple's website, does anyone know what this means? "27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)." I'm pretty sure I am wrong, and it can't do this... use a displayport video card connected to my PC and use the iMac as a monitor?

Hmm, I was reading the specs for the 27-inch iMac at Apple's website, does anyone know what this means? "27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately)." I'm pretty sure I am wrong, and it can't do this... use a displayport video card connected to my PC and use the iMac as a monitor?

It means exactly what it says: it has a DisplayPort video-in jack.

Yup, thats exactly it.

Noticed the server edition of the Mac mini:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

Wonder if its a straight install of SL server, or if it has any extra stuff installed to help "consumer-ize" setting a server up.

Since it looks to be marketed for small business, I going to guess no.

Damnit, Apple, where is your WHS-like solution?

Last edited:
Man that 27in imac looks good. Never been a fan, but that gets my attention.

Even though I have no use for it whatsoever, I'm really thinking hard on a new iMac. I've been wanting a desktop for awhile now, plus I get a discount from my college. It's a toss-up between the 21.5" iMac and a Rock River Arms AR-15... Decisions, decisions...

Man that 27in imac looks good. Never been a fan, but that gets my attention.
I'm definitely making a trip to the Apple Store to check it out (when they come in). I haven't seen that large an LCD with that high a pixel density before. That thing just has to be gorgeous.

Two very interesting points about the new iMac:

-- This is the first time I believe an Intel-based iMac has used a desktop processor. Going by mhz and turbo boost ratings, it's clear that the 27-inch iMac uses Socket-1156 Lynnfield parts. I wonder what the internals look like.

-- The 21 and 27 inch models sport completely different underlying architectures. Different sockets, different chipsets, etc. I wonder if this will lead to any difficulties in support.

Ok, apparently you can run external devices to output onto the 27" iMac display.

This is awesome, but the input is only mini DisplayPort. I'd replace my current 24" iMac in a second if I knew that I could run the DVI output from my PC into the new iMac. Anybody know about this?

Thanks

FUCKING FINALLY!!!!
I might just buy one now

-- This is the first time I believe an Intel-based iMac has used a desktop processor. Going by mhz and turbo boost ratings, it's clear that the 27-inch iMac uses Socket-1156 Lynnfield parts. I wonder what the internals look like.
I'm sure someone will take one apart and post pics soon

-- The 21 and 27 inch models sport completely different underlying architectures. Different sockets, different chipsets, etc. I wonder if this will lead to any difficulties in support.
Don't see why there would be any difficulties. Apple uses the same version of OS X across all their products, right?

what WHS feature are you wanting?

well my current WHS machine has 8.5tb worth of storage. So that's a big one. The ability to use drives of any size and have protection against drive failure. Single storage pool.

You can argue that the Mac Mini with OSX Server option can be a WHS.

Anyway Ill buy an Apple mouse when they come out with the Micky Mouse. Ill buy it to help pay for their legal fees though I doubt they need it with their profit this quarter.

The Imac resolution looks interesting though.

new imac looks incredible... must resist...

I can't imagine the 4850 is powerful enough to drive any modern games at that resolution on high settings though.

I would think that gaming at 1920x1080 would be pretty solid on the 27". That's still probably in the realm of, what, 95ppi at that resolution? The 4850 should manage pretty well at that res, for the most part.

Which reminds me... can the ATI cards take advantage of all the new GPGPU/OpenCL/Cuda whatever you call it in SnowLep?

I would think that gaming at 1920x1080 would be pretty solid on the 27". That's still probably in the realm of, what, 95ppi at that resolution? The 4850 should manage pretty well at that res, for the most part.

Yeah, but gaming at the non native rez tends to look like crap.

Would you be best to run at half res then, someone in the display forum thread mentioned that it's "second native res" is 1280x720, or obviously 200% scaling, would they look good like that?

That 27" iMac with the Core i7 actually looks worthwhile buying.

Is that notebook ram though? WHY!!???

I would need 8gb for sure.

who cares that it's notebook ram since they include 4 dimms, I'm going to TRY to go look at them after work, maybe come home with one... lol

Anyone know if they're in stock? I see the quad ships "in november" but the dual ships in 1-3 days.

who cares that it's notebook ram since they include 4 dimms, I'm going to TRY to go look at them after work, maybe come home with one... lol

More expensive. Doesn't perform as well. Only 1066mhz. Standard for P55 chipsets for these i5/i7 processors is 1600mhz.

The 4850 can handle the best Mac gaming has to offer, which is currently WoW and CoD4. If you want to boot into Windows and game at 1080p... well, you'll probably have to turn the resolution down for everything but Source games. I simply can't see a single 4850 handling the latest and greatest at 1080p, Core i5/i7 regardless. Let's not even get into the topic of a 4850 handling 2560x1600...

Yeah, but gaming at the non native rez tends to look like crap.

It really depends on the display and its scaler. It works surprisingly well on my NEC 2490WUXi when I drop the res down to 1400x900 for Crysis or something, doesn't look bad at all.

The 4850 can handle the best Mac gaming has to offer, which is currently WoW and CoD4. If you want to boot into Windows and game at 1080p... well, you'll probably have to turn the resolution down for everything but Source games. I simply can't see a single 4850 handling the latest and greatest at 1080p, Core i5/i7 regardless. Let's not even get into the topic of a 4850 handling 2560x1600...

I wouldn't game at full res but it should be able to handle 1920 quite well.

It really depends on the display and its scaler. It works surprisingly well on my NEC 2490WUXi when I drop the res down to 1400x900 for Crysis or something, doesn't look bad at all.

That's good to hear. I just wish one of these sites that already have the 27" imac would put up some benchmarks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back