New Processors Are Now Blocked from Receiving Updates on Old Windows

The first RTM version of Windows 10 wasn't compatible with the new Skylake power features, so yes.

This is just clouding the current issue.

What you speak of is a new feature that simply didn't work. The skylakes still worked just like older versions of Intel chips. The only thing that didn't work was the new feature... of course it did work once INTEL provided the updated driver. MS would not have been in the right to stop providing security updates for all systems using skylake simply because Win 10 predated its release date. The current case with both the new Intel and AMD chips and windows 8.1 is exactly the same. It honestly makes me wonder if MS legal team was really properly briefed on this decision in regards to 8.1 at least. If I was Intel and AMD I would be hoping right now and firing up the legal drafts. MS would imo loose a case brought by either in regards to MS decision in regards to 8.1 almost for sure... and likely for 8 and 7 as well. Believe it or not MS has contracts with hardware manufacturers who provide drivers for their OS. I somehow doubt MS is allowed to arbitrarily decide Intel or AMD couldn't provide drivers for their own hardware. (this is the sort of thing that gets companies broken up)

I mean could AMD even have known MS was going to pull this crap. You can still download Ryzen chipset drivers from AMDs site that clearly list Windows 7 support. The whole thing is just strange. I am wondering if someone at MS really just made such a bone headed decision without even consulting their legal dept.

Last edited:
I had my first client ring me the other day with a Dell XPS 15 that he spilt coffee all over, I believe I can clean out the machine and it will run just fine, but his over it.

One of the reason his over it is because his sick of the issues surrounding Windows 10 and chose to install Ubuntu. Keep in mind that this client is not a Linux user, just a below average user sick of the path Microsoft is headed so he chose to install Ubuntu.

Not long after installing Ubuntu he had a physical hardware issue with the audio jack that Dell refused to honour under warranty as the client installed something other than Windows 10, so for months the client had been using a USB headset for audio. I began the search for a replacement product, rang Dell, no developer edition available for sale in AU - Such bullshit. I could have supplied him with another off the shelf product and simply installed Ubuntu, however warranty would once again become an issue and I'm not taking responsibility for that. In the end I directed him to System76 and he couldn't believe the number of devices available, all with warranty and all pre installed with Ubuntu - I believe he placed an order.

How Dell can refuse to honour a hardware issue under Warranty due to the installation of alternate software is just beyond my comprehension, I explained to him that Australian Consumer Law would probably stipulate that Dell had to honour their warranty no matter what the OS, but he'd already given up.

So my sister-in-law came down for Easter. She was in the market for a new tablet. She has an old Samsung CloverTrail device that's actually running ok under Windows 10 but it was never very fast and now it has problems charging. I asked her what her budget was and to my surprise she was willing to go to $900. She was fine with using Windows 10 and since she was already familiar with the experience she wanted to stick to it. On my recommendation we got her a Samsung TabPro S which is $700 at Best Buy. I'd played with one in store a while back and the reviews have been very good overall. So we got it home, in installed the Creators Update, Office (she uses that now and then for church and work stuff), etc. Really a nice device and pretty quick, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. The keyboard is ok but a little cramped but usable, nice trackpad. Beautiful screen. Seems like she's really happy with it, well see.

I guess this where I get into the most disagreements with Windows 10 critics. For its issues I'd say 10 goes what it needs to pretty well. On hardware like this TabPro S, it's pretty slick. And I can't really see how installing Windows 7 or 8.1 or a Linux distro would improve the day to day function of this kind of device over Windows 10. And we're proceeding with moving to 10 at work. And I've just updated my 8th device to the CU without any real incident.

So these are just the facts of my situation. If Windows 10 were as problematic as some say I don't see how I'd be able to use it, or how I could update 8 different devices that vary so widely without issue. Of course mileage varies, I get that. I'd simply like someone to tell me what to use instead of 10 without saying things like Office is crap or VR is crap or how no one uses a Windows tablet except as a laptop.

Windows 8.1 is your answer. My mum bought an asus transformer a few years ago after I researched "tablets" that could run all the games she likes playing so she can be free of the desktop computer, and at the time it was the only reasonable non android tablet around. She's adamant it stays as it is on 8.1.

I ended up getting one myself as well purely for tuning my car with. It's got great battery life and is powerful enough. I use it docked because I need to input numbers better than a touch keyboard can provide. Plus I installed my copy of office on it for excel to read the romraider logs with. I have no intentions of installing 10 on it.

Windows 8.1 is your answer. My mum bought an asus transformer a few years ago after I researched "tablets" that could run all the games she likes playing so she can be free of the desktop computer, and at the time it was the only reasonable non android tablet around. She's adamant it stays as it is on 8.1.

I ended up getting one myself as well purely for tuning my car with. It's got great battery life and is powerful enough. I use it docked because I need to input numbers better than a touch keyboard can provide. Plus I installed my copy of office on it for excel to read the romraider logs with. I have no intentions of installing 10 on it.

The problem for Windows 8.1, even as bad as the Windows Store is there are some decent tablet capable apps there, and nothing new for 8.1 is coming out anymore nor are those apps getting many updates, Netflix downloading didn't come to the 8.1 version.

The problem for Windows 8.1, even as bad as the Windows Store is there are some decent tablet capable apps there, and nothing new for 8.1 is coming out anymore nor are those apps getting many updates, Netflix downloading didn't come to the 8.1 version.

Grasping a bit there. And what happens when MS decides to rebrand again because 10's adoption is stalled, and WinRT10 aka UWA gets abandoned just like Metro/WinRT8 got abandoned? "Oh no but you see this is the last version of Windows, the overlords have proclaimed it so". Right.

Really the only winning move is not to even bother with the windows app store, since MS has a nasty habit of abandoning and fragmenting even when a product is still within mainstream support.

WinRT10/UWA has made about as much inroads as Surface RT, and with Windows Mobile now abandoned, there's no more need for "Universal" apps to exist since there's only one platform, and its only a matter of time until they're onto the next me-too mobile/cloud initiative as they continue to follow entrenched leaders around like puppy dogs while forgetting who they are and what made Windows viable.

Last edited:
Actually that got me thinking, how many apps have I downloaded through the store? Desktop 8.1; zero. My transformer 8.1; Microsoft mahjongg, (which should have been included like all the windows games should have been).

I get all my tools from the vendor websites. Games from steam, steam itself from steampowered.com. My install support for my new Asus rog Strix 270f Gaming, the DVD that came with the board.

Actually, why am I even getting this cock block when I install the march / april update? My device manager says I have an intel 7700. System says I have an intel 7700. The os already knows I have that cpu. So what is installed with those updates? A cpu detection that tries and scares me to go to win10?

Actually that got me thinking, how many apps have I downloaded through the store? Desktop 8.1; zero. My transformer 8.1; Microsoft mahjongg, (which should have been included like all the windows games should have been).

I get all my tools from the vendor websites. Games from steam, steam itself from steampowered.com. My install support for my new Asus rog Strix 270f Gaming, the DVD that came with the board.

Actually, why am I even getting this cock block when I install the march / april update? My device manager says I have an intel 7700. System says I have an intel 7700. The os already knows I have that cpu. So what is installed with those updates? A cpu detection that tries and scares me to go to win10?

You are getting parental cock block named "We know better".

The update block for Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen systems is now in effect: those who are using a “processor designed for the latest version of Windows” and attempt to get the latest patches via Windows Update on an older OS will be met with an unimaginative, blinding dialog panel that insists your hardware is not supported. The author believes that Microsoft’s decision may be justified for Windows 7, but not for 8.1, as that OS is still in its mainstream support period.

We knew Microsoft was planning to block installation of Windows 7 and 8.1 updates on systems with Intel 7th Generation Core processors (more memorably known as Kaby Lake) and AMD Ryzen systems; we just weren't sure when. Now, the answer appears to be "this month." Users of new processors running old versions of Windows are reporting that their updates are being blocked. The block means that systems using these processors are no longer receiving security updates. The new policy was announced in January of last year and revised slightly a couple of months later: Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors, and all new processors on an ongoing basis, would only be supported in Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8.1 would continue to support older processors, but their chip compatibility was frozen.

This a biggest load of shit that MS is trying to push (they really want to taste the forbidden Apple fruit), I sure hope it bites them in their asses enough to think next time (as if Win8/10 hasn't already done enough).

What?

*Checks calendar to be sure I didn't go back in time to April 1st* Nope....

Apple? Is that you?

Serious, as time goes on it seems like MS is becoming more and more like a shitter version of Apple.

Microsoft would love to be able to take the "walled garden" approach, but it isn't feasible for a company that was built around providing an operating system for your hardware. It works for Apple because they are a very small segment of the PC market; a niche market if you will.

I have read conflicting information about whether or not you can bypass this block by manually downloading the update files or by managing updates via WSUS or similar. I have a Lenovo here in the office with a Kaby Lake CPU that shipped with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed via Downgrade Rights from Windows 10 Pro. I guess I'll see what happens the next time I try to update it...

Also, does anyone know if this affects Server 2008 R2 and/or Server 2012/2012 R2? I would be willing to bet that there are a lot of customers out there with applications built for the older version(s) of Server that are not ready to go through the SDLC in order to upgrade their applications, but may want to upgrade the hardware that they are running on.

Grasping a bit there. And what happens when MS decides to rebrand again because 10's adoption is stalled, and WinRT10 aka UWA gets abandoned just like Metro/WinRT8 got abandoned? "Oh no but you see this is the last version of Windows, the overlords have proclaimed it so". Right.

Now that's grasping, Windows XP-7 were used on tablets, that's been deprecated. Windows 8.x is now in that boat. As a Windows tablet user I'm simply pointing out a situation that is significant to Windows tablets.

Really the only winning move is not to even bother with the windows app store, since MS has a nasty habit of abandoning and fragmenting even when a product is still within mainstream support.

Except there are some good tablet apps in that store. If one wants to not use them, ok. But Windows simply less useful as a tablet OS when you know, don't use tablet capable apps on it.

WinRT10/UWA has made about as much inroads as Surface RT, and with Windows Mobile now abandoned, there's no more need for "Universal" apps to exist since there's only one platform, and its only a matter of time until they're onto the next me-too mobile/cloud initiative as they continue to follow entrenched leaders around like puppy dogs while forgetting who they are and what made Windows viable.

That's not true, there's the Xbox and that's becoming a more unified platform with Windows x86. Again, this is as a tablet. Why someone would buy a Windows tablet and not use the store at all doesn't make a lot of sense in practical terms.

You know, I always treated tablets with Windows 8/10 as mini PCs that got me mostly read-only access to documents and so on created on big PC, I never even attempted to use them for... what actually? Games? Stupidly looking apps that show weather? Selected by 'someone' news stories? I get everything like that and more in my browser, just pick a link.
Tablets for me are mostly web browsers with bigger screen (then phones) and ability to display (and somewhat edit) my documents. And for that MS Store is particularly useless.
Unless I get to connect one to big monitor, keyboard and mouse - then it is only a particularly slow PC...

Since this thread is getting eyeballs, I have a somewhat OT question: does anyone know how to get that big W10 update onto an external hard drive, without jumping through a bunch of hoops? I've been using Windows for many years, so I have a fairly realistic concept of "jumping through a bunch of hoops." I have a cheap laptop with a 32gb drive, and the update simply won't fit on it. And I have yet to find any way to send it to the attached USB external drive.

Sorry if that's too OT, I can start a new thread if need be.

Tablets for me are mostly web browsers with bigger screen (then phones) and ability to display (and somewhat edit) my documents. And for that MS Store is particularly useless.

I bought my tablet pretty much exclusively to read comics wherever I like. And because a vertically-aligned (or switchable) monitor for my desktop didn't seem very practical.

Not exactly. The UWA Office apps, I know that some, especially those that don't care for 10 in the first place won't like the need for an O365 to use them on larger screen devices, but they very effective on tablets with touch, though that's also possible with the desktop versions. There are some great PDF apps, like Xodo, that's my favorite PDF viewer, even on the desktop these days. Then there's content consumption. The Netflix, Hulu, a number of YouTube apps that are better on a tablet than the web sites. The Movie & TV app is a very nice tablet local file player and there's ones like ACG player.

One huge problem with Windows tablets before 8 was that there was there were very few touch first/aware apps and while desktop and web apps can often be useful on a Windows tablet, at least SOME true tablet apps can make things much easier and more pleasant.

Not exactly. The UWA Office apps, I know that some, especially those that don't care for 10 in the first place won't like the need for an O365 to use them on larger screen devices, but they very effective on tablets with touch, though that's also possible with the desktop versions. There are some great PDF apps, like Xodo, that's my favorite PDF viewer, even on the desktop these days. Then there's content consumption. The Netflix, Hulu, a number of YouTube apps that are better on a tablet than the web sites. The Movie & TV app is a very nice tablet local file player and there's ones like ACG player.

One huge problem with Windows tablets before 8 was that there was there were very few touch first/aware apps and while desktop and web apps can often be useful on a Windows tablet, at least SOME true tablet apps can make things much easier and more pleasant.

For Office, I use OpenOffice when possible and when I must be "compliant" with the other side Office 2013. I do not create documents on tablets and never will, I like my big screen, tablet is for read-only fun.
For PDFs I use an a bit obscure app SumatraPDF, it is I guess the lightest app of it's kind, weighting just over 6MB.
Don't use Netflix, Hulu, YouTube on tablets, on the go I prefer to read books (paper based or digital, no difference), anyway I don't like movies because the kind of cramp my imagination compared to books, they sell this pre-made reality and I can't imagine my own :)
Anyway for media consumption on tablets (if I were ever to indulge) I would use either MediaPlayer Home Cinema of Kodi, just like on big PC.

This a biggest load of shit that MS is trying to push (they really want to taste the forbidden Apple fruit), I sure hope it bites them in their asses enough to think next time (as if Win8/10 hasn't already done enough).

I do not know about that.
I think it is worst that the quite expensive Win10 Pro has all the same telemetry as the standard Win10 that was offered as a free upgrade.
If you want greater control over the telemetry you need to be able to get the Enterprise contract updated version and pay a monthly fee.

To me that is serious BS considering the price of Win10 Pro and that it has all the crap/downsides you get from the standard version that used to be a free upgrade.
Cheers

For Office, I use OpenOffice when possible and when I must be "compliant" with the other side Office 2013. I do not create documents on tablets and never will, I like my big screen, tablet is for read-only fun.

I don't do much document creation on tablets, not without a keyboard and mouse, but I do read and do edits and use OneNote a lot on tablets.

For PDFs I use an a bit obscure app SumatraPDF, it is I guess the lightest app of it's kind, weighting just over 6MB.

Used to use Sumatra a lot as well until I came across Xodo: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...wzdncrdjxp4_ORSEARCH_Bing#system-requirements. Compatible with 8.1, not sure if it's getting updated there. On 10 it's faster than Sumatra, has a ton more features, different viewing modes, crop and rotation, works perfectly across touch and keyboard and mouse and supports pen annotations. UWA or not, it's the best PDF viewer I've ever used, desktop or tablet, on Windows.

Don't use Netflix, Hulu, YouTube on tablets, on the go I prefer to read books (paper based or digital, no difference), anyway I don't like movies because the kind of cramp my imagination compared to books, they sell this pre-made reality and I can't imagine my own :)
Anyway for media consumption on tablets (if I were ever to indulge) I would use either MediaPlayer Home Cinema of Kodi, just like on big PC.

About 100 million people do use Netflix so that's certainly a general consideration. And if one wants to use desktop apps on a Windows tablet, that is one of their strengths. But they aren't always very touch or power friendly. I've not used Kodi in a while, IIRC it is touch aware but it's not particularly lightweight or battery efficient.

I do not know about that.
I think it is worst that the quite expensive Win10 Pro has all the same telemetry as the standard Win10 that was offered as a free upgrade.
If you want greater control over the telemetry you need to be able to get the Enterprise contract updated version and pay a monthly fee.

To me that is serious BS considering the price of Win10 Pro and that it has all the crap/downsides you get from the standard version that used to be a free upgrade.
Cheers

There's just a lot of inaccurate information flowing around the subject of Windows 10 telemetry/connections to Microsoft. Every version of Windows 10, Pro and Home included, can be configured to send no data to Microsoft: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services.

With Home of course you can't use group policies but the registry entries should work. This is how tools like Shutup10, Winaero, etc. work. Now this stuff can change in major build updates but the process of turning it off for all versions is essentially the same if you don't have GP available.

I mean seriously, just look at all this shit:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-any-major-update-windows-10-low-storage-devices

All because MS is too stupid or douchy to just put in a "download to another drive and install from there" button.

I'd rather just tell W10 I'm on a metered connection to shut it up about the updates it won't install, and run the risk of outdated security. That's what backups are for I guess. I don't keep any important info on that rig anyway.

If compatibility problems ever get too bad, I'll just install linux. I don't need but a few apps on it, and I'm guessing linux has all the flavors I need.

Actually I have one critical app that requires W10, so I guess I'll pirate an updated version whenever a problem presents itself.

Last edited:
Microsoft is a fuckin trip. I stumbled onto this page:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...download/09f8dfba-5609-40b5-aef6-d3d202d1e8dd

And wanted to read the comments and maybe even click the "me too" button, for the nothing it'd be worth. Fucking comments wouldn't load and button didn't work in a current version of Firefox. Had to load it up in one of Microsoft's crappy browsers. Then I decide I want to reply to the asshat who asserts that all hard drives are 500 gigs or more these days, so I clicked reply and got sent to MS' page offering me the choice of signing in with a MS account. Instead of giving me a goddamn sign in page, it's forcing me to a sign up page. I...already...have...an...account...you...dumb...fucks.

All of this is precisely the sort of thing that makes people shit on Microsoft all the time.

Since this thread is getting eyeballs, I have a somewhat OT question: does anyone know how to get that big W10 update onto an external hard drive, without jumping through a bunch of hoops? I've been using Windows for many years, so I have a fairly realistic concept of "jumping through a bunch of hoops." I have a cheap laptop with a 32gb drive, and the update simply won't fit on it. And I have yet to find any way to send it to the attached USB external drive.

Sorry if that's too OT, I can start a new thread if need be.

I bought my tablet pretty much exclusively to read comics wherever I like. And because a vertically-aligned (or switchable) monitor for my desktop didn't seem very practical.

You won't be able to do it anyways I don't think, it makes a Windows.old that is like 40-something GB. Best bet is to move all of the stuff you want to keep and get the ISO (it has the latest version) and do a fresh install. You also get the option to upgrade the existing installation with the new ISO, I did it that way on my laptop. I don't know if there is some way to bypass the .old folder to allow you to upgrade in place.

Lig, I didn't know W10 was offered as a free ISO (I'm assuming that's what you meant - W10 came installed free on my laptop, otherwise I'd be running W7, or whatever came installed). Thanks, I'll do that then, assuming it's not too much of a PITA compared to pirating an updated version. Either way should be relatively painless, as I don't keep anything but (small) installed apps on the C partition.

There's just a lot of inaccurate information flowing around the subject of Windows 10 telemetry/connections to Microsoft. Every version of Windows 10, Pro and Home included, can be configured to send no data to Microsoft: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services.

With Home of course you can't use group policies but the registry entries should work. This is how tools like Shutup10, Winaero, etc. work. Now this stuff can change in major build updates but the process of turning it off for all versions is essentially the same if you don't have GP available.

It is not inaccurate according to other Microsoft Technet articles only Enterprise (upgraded Pro) / Education, and Windows Server 2016 can control the lowest level of Telemetry and bypass fully Basic from a desktop perspective.
That is Security:
Security. Information that’s required to help keep Windows, Windows Server, and System Center secure, including data about the Connected User Experience and Telemetry component settings, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and Windows Defender.
This level is only available on Windows Server 2016, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise, and Windows IoT Core editions.
https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro...figure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

Unless you know for sure that editing the registry with the settings you linked is not ignored by other versions such as Win10 standard.
I am under the impression it is ignored on other versions, and this is also been inferred by other pro articles out there.
But the downsides go beyond just Telemetry to other annoying functions Microsoft like to use now and again, and these should also be removed from Pro.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: mat9v
like this
Unless you know for sure that editing the registry with the settings you linked is not ignored by other versions such as Win10 standard.
I am under the impression it is ignored on other versions, and this is also been inferred by other pro articles out there.
Cheers

How do you think tools like Shutup10 work? They work by using the information that's in the Microsoft docs. Yeah, the GP isn't there for Home versions but the registry, service and firewall settings all work the same. If they didn't, tools like Shutup10 wouldn't work.

How do you think tools like Shutup10 work? They work by using the information that's in the Microsoft docs. Yeah, the GP isn't there for Home versions but the registry, service and firewall settings all work the same. If they didn't, tools like Shutup10 wouldn't work.

So you have not tested it and Microsoft and other pro articles mention you need a specific version of Windows 10 to contol down to Security and fully disable Basic.
Just because it can disable telemetry, it does not mean it disables all the telemetry settings and tiers, and then there are the unknowns that can happen when a future Microsoft update goes FUBAR and also impact other services.
Sorry but what your saying does not make my earlier posts inaccurate as you claimed.
Cheers

Edit:
Quick follow through on some sites say it breaks other aspects of Win10 services and functions.

Last edited:
So you have not tested it and Microsoft and other pro articles mention you need a specific version of Windows 10 to contol down to Security and fully disable Basic.
Just because it can disable telemetry, it does not mean it disables all the telemetry settings and tiers, and then there are the unknowns that can happen when a future Microsoft update goes FUBAR and also impact other services.
Sorry but what your saying does not make my earlier posts inaccurate as you claimed.
Cheers

Edit:
Quick follow through on some sites say it breaks other aspects of Win10 services and functions.

I'm just pointing out how tools like Shutup10 and Winaero work. Winaero in the app explains EVERYTHING each of their options does and it's in line when the Microsoft documentation. That much I've read but I've not tested it all. I would assume that the developers of tools like Shutup10 and Winaero have tested them however, otherwise their tools would be pointless.

The Microsoft documentation points out everything, even the yellow internet connection bang and time service and certificate servers, things that people see in a trace and then freak out about because they don't even bother to read the docs.

Cheers

Edit:

I don't play with registry. For most installs I just disable DiagTrack service. AFAIK wit that disabled whatever setting is present in registry, it does not matter because telemetry will not work.
I have one gripe with Microsoft and it is an ongoing problem since long before Windows XP (back to Windows NT). I normally use basic account for increased security and when I start Computer Management and similar applets, there is no "Start as Administrator" on right click menu. It's irritating that I have to do a go-around to start them (mostly just elevated command prompt and correct msc file). Yes, I can open explorer and/or right click on This PC selecting "Manage" and I get prompted for admin password, but it is another inconsistency in the OS. Simply, every major function should have "Run as".

The customer is always wrong.
Microsofts motto revision team.

This is every software company. They write the software for how it should be used, not for how you want to use it.

For those not clicking naib's link, you can bypass (for now) the CPU check with a bit of DLL patching.
Knowing Microsoft they'll change it in a way that gives you a helpful bluescreen or some poorly worded failure message during the next "security update" :)

For those not clicking naib's link, you can bypass (for now) the CPU check with a bit of DLL patching.
Knowing Microsoft they'll change it in a way that gives you a helpful bluescreen or some poorly worded failure message during the next "security update" :)

They are quite good at that :)
Cheers

I assume that means you are willing to have Apple and Google be broken up as well, eh? Please do not try to say that are not a monopoly in their own right. Also, no, they are not going to and never will rent their own OS, unless, of course, they are willing to go out of business. Sheez, common sense really is the new hate speech.

The others have their own antitrust issues and reasons for breakup. So yes, TrustBusters (tm)

You say that statement as if there is only one problem with Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 has a massive number of problems, leading it to having one of the poorest critical receptions of any Windows version to date. Are you a M$ shill or something? That's the only reason I can think of that you've constantly been using the language of diplomacy in Microsoft's favor in the majority of posts you make.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Thanks for information, at least I know what is going on if I end up needing to fix a PC with this issue. Of course, the alarmist title does little but feed the hysteria.
my pleasure, I just find it funny as hell

Intel and AMD processors are x86 and x86_64 compliant. Newer processors come with newer OPCODE flags
Code:
HASWELL

gcc -march=x86_64 -Q --help=target
The following options are target specific:
  -m128bit-long-double               [disabled]
  -m16                               [disabled]
  -m32                               [disabled]
  -m3dnow                             [disabled]
  -m3dnowa                           [disabled]
  -m64                               [enabled]
  -m80387                             [enabled]
  -m8bit-idiv                         [disabled]
  -m96bit-long-double                 [enabled]
  -mabi=                             sysv
  -mabm                               [disabled]
  -maccumulate-outgoing-args         [disabled]
  -maddress-mode=                     short
  -madx                               [disabled]
  -maes                               [disabled]
  -malign-data=                       compat
  -malign-double                     [disabled]
  -malign-functions=                 0
  -malign-jumps=                     0
  -malign-loops=                     0
  -malign-stringops                   [enabled]
  -mandroid                           [disabled]
  -march=                             x86_64
  -masm=                             att
  -mavx                               [disabled]
  -mavx2                             [disabled]
  -mavx256-split-unaligned-load     [disabled]
  -mavx256-split-unaligned-store     [disabled]
  -mavx512bw                         [disabled]
  -mavx512cd                         [disabled]
  -mavx512dq                         [disabled]
  -mavx512er                         [disabled]
  -mavx512f                           [disabled]
  -mavx512ifma                       [disabled]
  -mavx512pf                         [disabled]
  -mavx512vbmi                       [disabled]
  -mavx512vl                         [disabled]
  -mbionic                           [disabled]
  -mbmi                               [disabled]
  -mbmi2                             [disabled]
  -mbranch-cost=                     0
  -mcld                               [disabled]
  -mclflushopt                       [disabled]
  -mclwb                             [disabled]
  -mcmodel=                           32
  -mcpu=                            
  -mcrc32                             [disabled]
  -mcx16                             [disabled]
  -mdispatch-scheduler               [disabled]
  -mdump-tune-features               [disabled]
  -mf16c                             [disabled]
  -mfancy-math-387                   [enabled]
  -mfentry                           [enabled]
  -mfma                               [disabled]
  -mfma4                             [disabled]
  -mforce-drap                       [disabled]
  -mfp-ret-in-387                     [enabled]
  -mfpmath=                           387
  -mfsgsbase                         [disabled]
  -mfused-madd                      
  -mfxsr                             [disabled]
  -mglibc                             [enabled]
  -mhard-float                       [enabled]
  -mhle                               [disabled]
  -mieee-fp                           [enabled]
  -mincoming-stack-boundary=         0
  -minline-all-stringops             [disabled]
  -minline-stringops-dynamically     [disabled]
  -mintel-syntax                    
  -mlarge-data-threshold=             0x10000
  -mlong-double-128                   [disabled]
  -mlong-double-64                   [disabled]
  -mlong-double-80                   [enabled]
  -mlwp                               [disabled]
  -mlzcnt                             [disabled]
  -mmemcpy-strategy=                
  -mmemset-strategy=                
  -mmmx                               [disabled]
  -mmovbe                             [disabled]
  -mmpx                               [disabled]
  -mms-bitfields                     [disabled]
  -mmwaitx                           [disabled]
  -mno-align-stringops               [disabled]
  -mno-default                       [disabled]
  -mno-fancy-math-387                 [disabled]
  -mno-push-args                     [disabled]
  -mno-red-zone                       [disabled]
  -mno-sse4                           [enabled]
  -mnop-mcount                       [disabled]
  -momit-leaf-frame-pointer           [disabled]
  -mpc32                             [disabled]
  -mpc64                             [disabled]
  -mpc80                             [disabled]
  -mpclmul                           [disabled]
  -mpcommit                           [disabled]
  -mpopcnt                           [disabled]
  -mprefer-avx128                     [disabled]
  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=         0
  -mprefetchwt1                       [disabled]
  -mprfchw                           [disabled]
  -mpush-args                         [enabled]
  -mrdrnd                             [disabled]
  -mrdseed                           [disabled]
  -mrecip                             [disabled]
  -mrecip=                          
  -mrecord-mcount                     [disabled]
  -mred-zone                         [enabled]
  -mregparm=                         0
  -mrtd                               [disabled]
  -mrtm                               [disabled]
  -msahf                             [disabled]
  -msha                               [disabled]
  -mskip-rax-setup                   [disabled]
  -msoft-float                       [disabled]
  -msse                               [disabled]
  -msse2                             [disabled]
  -msse2avx                           [disabled]
  -msse3                             [disabled]
  -msse4                             [disabled]
  -msse4.1                           [disabled]
  -msse4.2                           [disabled]
  -msse4a                             [disabled]
  -msse5                            
  -msseregparm                       [disabled]
  -mssse3                             [disabled]
  -mstack-arg-probe                   [disabled]
  -mstack-protector-guard=           tls
  -mstackrealign                     [enabled]
  -mstringop-strategy=               [default]
  -mtbm                               [disabled]
  -mtls-dialect=                     gnu
  -mtls-direct-seg-refs               [enabled]
  -mtune-ctrl=                      
  -mtune=                            
  -muclibc                           [disabled]
  -mveclibabi=                       [default]
  -mvect8-ret-in-mem                 [disabled]
  -mvzeroupper                       [disabled]
  -mx32                               [disabled]
  -mxop                               [disabled]
  -mxsave                             [disabled]
  -mxsavec                           [disabled]
  -mxsaveopt                         [disabled]
  -mxsaves                           [disabled]

I7 
gcc -march=corei7 -Q --help=target
The following options are target specific:
  -m128bit-long-double               [disabled]
  -m16                               [disabled]
  -m32                               [disabled]
  -m3dnow                             [disabled]
  -m3dnowa                           [disabled]
  -m64                               [enabled]
  -m80387                             [enabled]
  -m8bit-idiv                         [disabled]
  -m96bit-long-double                 [enabled]
  -mabi=                             sysv
  -mabm                               [disabled]
  -maccumulate-outgoing-args         [disabled]
  -maddress-mode=                     short
  -madx                               [disabled]
  -maes                               [disabled]
  -malign-data=                       compat
  -malign-double                     [disabled]
  -malign-functions=                 0
  -malign-jumps=                     0
  -malign-loops=                     0
  -malign-stringops                   [enabled]
  -mandroid                           [disabled]
  -march=                             corei7
  -masm=                             att
  -mavx                               [disabled]
  -mavx2                             [disabled]
  -mavx256-split-unaligned-load     [disabled]
  -mavx256-split-unaligned-store     [disabled]
  -mavx512bw                         [disabled]
  -mavx512cd                         [disabled]
  -mavx512dq                         [disabled]
  -mavx512er                         [disabled]
  -mavx512f                           [disabled]
  -mavx512ifma                       [disabled]
  -mavx512pf                         [disabled]
  -mavx512vbmi                       [disabled]
  -mavx512vl                         [disabled]
  -mbionic                           [disabled]
  -mbmi                               [disabled]
  -mbmi2                             [disabled]
  -mbranch-cost=                     0
  -mcld                               [disabled]
  -mclflushopt                       [disabled]
  -mclwb                             [disabled]
  -mcmodel=                           32
  -mcpu=                            
  -mcrc32                             [disabled]
  -mcx16                             [disabled]
  -mdispatch-scheduler               [disabled]
  -mdump-tune-features               [disabled]
  -mf16c                             [disabled]
  -mfancy-math-387                   [enabled]
  -mfentry                           [enabled]
  -mfma                               [disabled]
  -mfma4                             [disabled]
  -mforce-drap                       [disabled]
  -mfp-ret-in-387                     [enabled]
  -mfpmath=                           387
  -mfsgsbase                         [disabled]
  -mfused-madd                      
  -mfxsr                             [disabled]
  -mglibc                             [enabled]
  -mhard-float                       [enabled]
  -mhle                               [disabled]
  -mieee-fp                           [enabled]
  -mincoming-stack-boundary=         0
  -minline-all-stringops             [disabled]
  -minline-stringops-dynamically     [disabled]
  -mintel-syntax                    
  -mlarge-data-threshold=             0x10000
  -mlong-double-128                   [disabled]
  -mlong-double-64                   [disabled]
  -mlong-double-80                   [enabled]
  -mlwp                               [disabled]
  -mlzcnt                             [disabled]
  -mmemcpy-strategy=                
  -mmemset-strategy=                
  -mmmx                               [disabled]
  -mmovbe                             [disabled]
  -mmpx                               [disabled]
  -mms-bitfields                     [disabled]
  -mmwaitx                           [disabled]
  -mno-align-stringops               [disabled]
  -mno-default                       [disabled]
  -mno-fancy-math-387                 [disabled]
  -mno-push-args                     [disabled]
  -mno-red-zone                       [disabled]
  -mno-sse4                           [enabled]
  -mnop-mcount                       [disabled]
  -momit-leaf-frame-pointer           [disabled]
  -mpc32                             [disabled]
  -mpc64                             [disabled]
  -mpc80                             [disabled]
  -mpclmul                           [disabled]
  -mpcommit                           [disabled]
  -mpopcnt                           [disabled]
  -mprefer-avx128                     [disabled]
  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=         0
  -mprefetchwt1                       [disabled]
  -mprfchw                           [disabled]
  -mpush-args                         [enabled]
  -mrdrnd                             [disabled]
  -mrdseed                           [disabled]
  -mrecip                             [disabled]
  -mrecip=                          
  -mrecord-mcount                     [disabled]
  -mred-zone                         [enabled]
  -mregparm=                         0
  -mrtd                               [disabled]
  -mrtm                               [disabled]
  -msahf                             [disabled]
  -msha                               [disabled]
  -mskip-rax-setup                   [disabled]
  -msoft-float                       [disabled]
  -msse                               [disabled]
  -msse2                             [disabled]
  -msse2avx                           [disabled]
  -msse3                             [disabled]
  -msse4                             [disabled]
  -msse4.1                           [disabled]
  -msse4.2                           [disabled]
  -msse4a                             [disabled]
  -msse5                            
  -msseregparm                       [disabled]
  -mssse3                             [disabled]
  -mstack-arg-probe                   [disabled]
  -mstack-protector-guard=           tls
  -mstackrealign                     [enabled]
  -mstringop-strategy=               [default]
  -mtbm                               [disabled]
  -mtls-dialect=                     gnu
  -mtls-direct-seg-refs               [enabled]
  -mtune-ctrl=                      
  -mtune=                            
  -muclibc                           [disabled]
  -mveclibabi=                       [default]
  -mvect8-ret-in-mem                 [disabled]
  -mvzeroupper                       [disabled]
  -mx32                               [disabled]
  -mxop                               [disabled]
  -mxsave                             [disabled]
  -mxsavec                           [disabled]
  -mxsaveopt                         [disabled]
  -mxsaves                           [disabled]

Windows cannot be compiled specifically for a process type otherwise it would not work on older family from the same Vendor. Equally it would not work cross-vendor (amd,intel, VIA). THUS their binaries are x86_64 generic and thus the additional opcode provided by Ryzen and co wouldn't be used at buildtime.

Additional SoC functionality is driver-driven (like via padlock hardware SHA generation) and thus MS could easily say "won't provide drivers for older windows" but then ... said drivers are from the CPU vendors NOT the OS provider & even then this is additional functionality NOT core universal state machine aligning to the x86_64 standard.

-mtune=cpu-type
native
This selects the CPU to tune for at compilation time by determining the processor type of the compiling machine. Using -mtune=native will produce code optimized for the local machine under the constraints of the selected instruction set. Using -march=native will enable all instruction subsets supported by the local machine (hence the result might not run on different machines).
i386
Original Intel's i386 CPU.
i486
Intel's i486 CPU. (No scheduling is implemented for this chip.)
i586, pentium
prescott
Improved version of Intel Pentium4 CPU with MMX, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 instruction set support.
nocona
Improved version of Intel Pentium4 CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2 and SSE3 instruction set support.
core2
Intel Core2 CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3 instruction set support.
corei7
Intel Core i7 CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 instruction set support.
corei7-avx
Intel Core i7 CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AES and PCLMUL instruction set support.
core-avx-i
Intel Core CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AES, PCLMUL, FSGSBASE, RDRND and F16C instruction set support.
atom
Intel Atom CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3 instruction set support.
k6
AMD K6 CPU with MMX instruction set support.
k6-2, k6-3
Improved versions of AMD K6 CPU with MMX and 3DNow! instruction set support.
athlon, athlon-tbird
AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3DNow! and SSE prefetch instructions support.
athlon-4, athlon-xp, athlon-mp
Improved AMD Athlon CPU with MMX, 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! and full SSE instruction set support.
k8, opteron, athlon64, athlon-fx
AMD K8 core based CPUs with x86-64 instruction set support. (This supersets MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! and 64-bit instruction set extensions.)
k8-sse3, opteron-sse3, athlon64-sse3
Improved versions of k8, opteron and athlon64 with SSE3 instruction set support.
amdfam10, barcelona
While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things appropriately for that particular chip, the compiler will not generate any code that does not run on the i386 without the -march=cpu-type option being used.

-march=cpu-type

meanwhile my Ryzen5 kit just arrived so once I have taken the kids to the park ill start building and installing Gentoo without the fear of artificial limits imposed by software.
cAPOoLq.jpg

Back