New Processors Are Now Blocked from Receiving Updates on Old Windows

Whatever the case, the idea that Microsoft hatred is a new thing is ridiculous. It's been a big issue for years.

No, it's been a growing issue since the advent of Windows 8 and it's getting worse with the advent of Windows 10 and Microsoft's decisions as of late. This is nothing like the occasional isolated argument in the past regarding Windows 7 and Linux, this is about Windows 10 and Microsoft.

How much longer.....I just want to frag someone on FPS games! :joyful:

There's FPS games available under Linux, I play them all the time. If your particular FPS isn't available yet than show your support for gaming under Linux and set up another box for Linux gaming and download a few native titles. A Core 2 and GT610 does fine if you keep the resolution low (1366 x 768) - I know, I did it.

Except there is one big difference. Enterprises are going to adopt Windows 10 on a large scale. That wasn't the case for Windows 8.x.

Because Windows 8 was a disaster and everyone stuck to Windows 7. I'm sure if Windows 8 was forced onto the masses like Windows 10 is than adoption would have been identical.

It's the same with Vista, enterprise didn't adopt Vista as it was garbage, they stuck with the still supported XP. As this thread implies, Microsoft has no intention of letting this happen again and they're hellbent on forcing everyone to their new advertising platform in an attempt to recoup lost revenue.

There's FPS games available under Linux, I play them all the time. If your particular FPS isn't available yet than show your support for gaming under Linux and set up another box for Linux gaming and download a few native titles. A Core 2 and GT610 does fine if you keep the resolution low (1366 x 768) - I know, I did it.

It's true. One can't just expect things to happen on Linux without a little elbow grease. Email developers and publishers asking for Linux versions. Buy linux games using a Linux OS. Help others who are having issues. Donate to your distro of choice.

It's true. One can't just expect things to happen on Linux without a little elbow grease. Email developers and publishers asking for Linux versions. Buy linux games using a Linux OS. Help others who are having issues. Donate to your distro of choice.

Gaming under Linux is advancing at an impressive rate, but it's no good claiming things aren't advancing fast enough if individuals don't get dirty and show their support. :)

Have you looked at the library of VR games on Steam? There are 3 Linux compatible VR games on Steam. And 1242 Windows compatible VR games. What do you honestly think a person that spends the money on PCVR is going to run under these circumstances? But hey Microsoft shill, because common sense.

Time does not stand still, I said more even ground then when Linux desktop started appearing and competing with fully developed Windows gaming environment. The same can be said for Android, it has mach more VR games then there is for Linux and it is a preview of things to come. Linux will marry Android on the desktop one way or the other and will get access to both software wells.

And time doesn't stand still. There are people that don't want to use Windows [mindblown!], prefer Linux [mindblown again!] and are excited by the prospect of Linux adopting VR. Furthermore it's obvious Nvidia and Chronos are on the VR bandwagon regarding Linux so things will continue to advance as time goes on.

Anyone is that concerned about the OS I doubt they are concerned about VR. If the VR games were on Linux, that's what I'd be running. I think some around here define Microsoft shills as those who simply want to do certain things with their devices and for those purposes Linux is useless. I didn't spend a bunch of money on PCVR because of Windows, I wanted to get into the experience. The OS just wasn't was consideration for me. I just happen to use Windows because, as usual, things that come to the PC get support on Windows.

Anyone is that concerned about the OS I doubt they are concerned about VR. If the VR games were on Linux, that's what I'd be running. I think some around here define Microsoft shills as those who simply want to do certain things with their devices and for those purposes Linux is useless. I didn't spend a bunch of money on PCVR because of Windows, I wanted to get into the experience. The OS just wasn't was consideration for me. I just happen to use Windows because, as usual, things that come to the PC get support on Windows.

But we don't care about your needs. Furthermore you keep repeating the same rhetoric as if you believe it applies to everyone on [H] and beyond - It doesn't.

The OS isn't invisible, in the case of Windows 10 the OS is downright intrusive. Despite your ridiculous claims, the OS is the interface between the user and their machine and people defiantly do have preferences where the OS is concerned. Some of these people will most defiantly want to utilise VR, claiming that they won't is downright arrogant and actually quite stupid.

Linux supports VR and support will continue to grow as time goes on, it's inevitable.

Time does not stand still, I said more even ground then when Linux desktop started appearing and competing with fully developed Windows gaming environment. The same can be said for Android, it has mach more VR games then there is for Linux and it is a preview of things to come. Linux will marry Android on the desktop one way or the other and will get access to both software wells.

Ok, that's great. When all of this gets there I'll probably have the hardware. But if you're seriously comparing mobile VR to PCVR, even guys that will beat me up on being a Microsoft shill will beat you up on that comparison.

Besides, VR support is at 0.24% under Steam. Hardly the tech of the future at this stage and unless prices, complexity and GPU power requirements drop considerably, chances are it's just another passing fad.

NElnwBa.png

Besides, VR support is at 0.24% under Steam. Hardly the tech of the future at this stage and unless prices, complexity and GPU power requirements drop considerably, chances are it's just another passing fad.

NElnwBa.png
It depends on how bad MS is going to keep getting.
Since it's pretty much the only OS, it's not like people want to use it, they have to. MS knows this and that is why they could care less.

u

SteamVR came out a year ago. Linux has had Steam support for four years and only registers 3 times higher than VR. I very well aware of the issues surrounding PCVR, better than you.

Hey guys, look over there -> VR again! ...I'll just move some stuff around while you're distracted again...

VR is a joke. I have less than zero interest in it.

Anyway, I originally bought this win8.1 oem license back in 2015 with the promise of a win10 upgrade that was supposed to "be windows 7 again"! Start menu!, etc etc. What a fucking lie that was. The win10 start menu blows. The full screen apps in 8.1 is far better as it's all there and categorised. You don't even have that in 10, just a weak uncatgorised list you have to scroll through. Fuck that. They made settings like the phone, because desktop people are more familiar with a phone interface! Oh go diaf. I'm happy to be on win8.1 right now. Sure there were a few compromises coming from 7, but I have a desktop, update notifications and choice of which ones to install and shit, and the true start menu is to right click on the garbage can where the start button used to be. Win10 is no compromise, it's just giving it all away from the user side. The design of the ui is even worse. Buttons look like they don't belong and are not even buttons. Win10 is just one big troll face.

Complete nonsense. All Win 8/7 need is an updated processor driver, once done end of story. AMD/Intel do the work anyway and hand it to MSoft, so it's all bullshit to keep pushing people to the newer product.

What are you going to do when they FORCE you to stat renting the next OS, because they don't 'sell' OS's any longer? .... then they start up'ong the monthly fee until your IS costs as much as your cell phone bill.

Time for Microsoft to get the Anti-Trust axe, break up into 5 companies, etc.

Complete nonsense. All Win 8/7 need is an updated processor driver, once done end of story. AMD/Intel do the work anyway and hand it to MSoft, so it's all bullshit to keep pushing people to the newer product.

What are you going to do when they FORCE you to stat renting the next OS, because they don't 'sell' OS's any longer? .... then they start up'ong the monthly fee until your IS costs as much as your cell phone bill.

Time for Microsoft to get the Anti-Trust axe, break up into 5 companies, etc.

I assume that means you are willing to have Apple and Google be broken up as well, eh? Please do not try to say that are not a monopoly in their own right. Also, no, they are not going to and never will rent their own OS, unless, of course, they are willing to go out of business. Sheez, common sense really is the new hate speech.

VR is a joke. I have less than zero interest in it.

And of course the pro-Linux crowd will say "HURAY!" to that sort of comment. Pro-Linux folks are all about choice, as long as it's the choice they'd make.

I assume that means you are willing to have Apple and Google be broken up as well, eh? Please do not try to say that are not a monopoly in their own right.
Fine by me, though isn't Microsoft the only one of those three to have a judgement issued against it in regard to being a monopoly?

If you are running software with known vulnerabilities that have been fixed and don't patch, there's a potential HIPAA violation there because that's negligence if those vulnerabilities are exploited. Where I work we are expected to fix known vulnerabilities. The impact of having massive amounts of customer data comprised are an incalculable risk to a large bank.

The exploit that empties tons of bank accounts. That's where you're just fucked as a bank and probably can't recover.
Again not all unpatched software is a security risk. You can try to update that Unix server that's built like a tank and certified by the OEM if you want to but I assure you if you try it then the noncompliance that could bring would be all on you.

Yet not ONE person in this forum is running VR under desktop Linux, not even guys that will beat me up over fake Microsoft shill claims.

Come on heatle you know for a fact that Steam VR has been in public beta for a month. How many of us do you imagine are running out and spending 800 bucks on a current (about to be obsolete) generation of headsets.

We are waiting for the tech to mature... 99.75% of windows gamers are also waiting.

Bully for you that you decided to jump into VR head first before they even agreed on a standard. Have fun with that.

Besides of which... this thread is about MS's jackboot marketing practices. Not a referendum on Linux being VR ready. When the average consumers PC is VR ready... I will be worried if Linux can't supply the goods.

MS is slowly going down.... not because there is a Linux company somewhere actively spending R&D money on killing them. Oh wait there is, but I wasn't meaning to bring Google into this post. They are going down because they are taking themselves down. They pissed on PC gamers for years and now we are supposed to love MS (again) cause they have decided PC gaming is fantastic again. Which I'm sure had nothing to do with them having their asses handed to them by Sony. I mean after their phone division collapsed they had to hide xbox losses in with Windows Subs in the "more personal computing" division. What a sad joke their gaming unit has become. What is even sadder is how they have knee capped the entire gaming industry the last few years pushing terrible tech and fighting over developers with Sony. The result is a bunch of fat lazy game houses like EA. MS is not going to be making any real money on Gaming any time soon... they got all those big houses used to being paid to publish games exclusive here or there instead of having to pay royalties for the right to access their market. Had they just partnered with Sony years back instead of doing their own thing the Desktop and PC gaming in general would be a lot stronger today. (and MS would be a lot richer go figure)

As for the future of VR you can laugh at the quality of Android VR all you like... bottom line is 1000x as many people have actually tried it, and 100x as many people have actually bought in with $. (really Samsung sold 4.51 million GearVrs in 2016 HTC sold 0.4 million Vives) I get that with really great PC hardware PC VR is a magnitude better. Seriously though what Game publishing company do you expect to drop millions creating PC eye candy style VR games for a market that is just so stupid small. They won't they will create a lot of VR games for android that at best you may be able to scale up the rez, or turn on a bit of extra eye candy on the PC version. Outside of that you may get older games like Serious sam being adapted for VR.

Not sure why we are arguing about VR anyway in a thread about a typical MS shady marketing ploy. MS seems to treat us to a new one every few months.

Last edited:
I wonder why any software/hardware company would want to make an item Win 10 only. How many potential customers are lost from 7/8/8.1? Just seems weird to me.
Is it really that difficult to make it compatible with 7/8?

Have to earn that sweet telemetry data somehow, and people have been given a choice in everything but 10 whether they give that data or not.

And of course the pro-Linux crowd will say "HURAY!" to that sort of comment. Pro-Linux folks are all about choice, as long as it's the choice they'd make.

Good on them. I can't stand pro Linux folks either. The outside of development community has its head up its arse thinking their choice of whatever currently is wtfbbqlbqgti distro no one has ever heard of before is the best and the smarterest.

Right now MS is just wrecking itself, and the Linux fan community are a bunch of twats, but I'd choose Linux because the product is good and you can avoid THAT community. Can't avoid the bullshit MS are pushing through the product, it's an inseparable car wreck.

I'm glad to hear that Vulcan is making strides and really hope they have a dx 1 to 12 on the fly wrapper ready to go in the near future. I really cannot stand what Microsoft has become and their current product. They have no intentions of letting people play xbox games on their computers. Unified platform is a pile of horse shit. It'll always be separate to spite themselves out of more game sales. Plus they insist on a mobile interface when they have no mobile.

Anyway, just have to keep waiting I suppose. Steam will get us there. Mobile games are huge and Steam is a huge platform. Just need that compatibility wrapper or devs to recompile to Vulcan. I won't miss Windows because it ended for me years ago. The real golden age to me was windows 2000, then the last of that was full mainstream 64bit support in vista/7. XP 64bit just didn't have the full vendor support at the time.

The real golden age to me was windows 2000, then the last of that was full mainstream 64bit support in vista/7. XP 64bit just didn't have the full vendor support at the time.

Up until 7 MS had compelling reasons to use their new OS all the time. File system upgrades, 64bit support... at one time a new version of windows meant cool new things for consumer grade PCs. That changed after 7 no doubt. 8 offered nothing new other then a redesigned UI. The only "new" features since 7 have been forced bundled software... that could have run just as well on the older versions of windows.

Fine by me, though isn't Microsoft the only one of those three to have a judgement issued against it in regard to being a monopoly?
It has a ruling for antitrust activities. There is nothing illegal with being "a monopoly" it is how you get there or how you maintain it that can land you in trouble

Good on them. I can't stand pro Linux folks either. The outside of development community has its head up its arse thinking their choice of whatever currently is wtfbbqlbqgti distro no one has ever heard of before is the best and the smarterest.

and the Linux fan community are a bunch of twats,

Oh! So hurtful! My eyes!

Nah, I'm a twat and I don't care. I think the same about any community that pays for an OS, and keeps paying, and paying, (Windows 10 wasn't free) and paying....And all the while the corporation that makes the OS takes, and takes, and takes and disrespects and yet individuals think that's great because VR!

I don't claim to be the smartest, but I can understand completely how individuals like the ones above can make me appear to be the smartest - I mean come on! What individual defends such rubbish!

[sarcasm off]

Time won't stand still. History shows time and time again examples of tech companies flying high, seemingly undefeatable, only to hit rock bottom and go bankrupt as a result of a CEO and stupid decisions (sound familiar?) A Classic example is Commodore Computer's, they had the best selling computer ever, they had technology that was way beyond it's time, they could FAB their own silicon FFS! And due to one man they faded away into obscurity. Another example of a tech company that got so close to the edge that they saw the ocean was Apple, they were so close they called Steve Jobs back as a last resort and clawed back via the ipod as opposed to an actual computer. It's all happened before, it will happen time and time again. Since Linux is open source and not owned by a single corperation or micromanaged according to the stock market, it literally cannot fade away into obscurity, at worst it'll evolve and that probably won't be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Up until 7 MS had compelling reasons to use their new OS all the time. File system upgrades, 64bit support... at one time a new version of windows meant cool new things for consumer grade PCs. That changed after 7 no doubt. 8 offered nothing new other then a redesigned UI. The only "new" features since 7 have been forced bundled software... that could have run just as well on the older versions of windows.

Oh yea, full 64bit support was it for me in 7. Well, I did stay on vista for a while first though. Aero glass was great. I do miss that with our even more powerful computers today... Windows 8.1 is good in the way it boots way faster than 7, even on ssd, and it handles new hardware out of the box... until the muthafuckers decided to stop supporting it in its support cycle and why we are now here, in this thread. grr. Such a thick cloud of desperation to get everyone to windows 10. So pathetic. Did they even have beta testers for win 10? Did they even have a working reporting tool or just ignored them and said fuck it, it's our artistic expression? I was a tester for 98SE, 2000 and xp, and the feedback we gave actually made a difference to the end product.

Oh! So hurtful! My eyes!

Nah, I'm a twat and I don't care. I think the same about any community that pays for an OS, and keeps paying, and paying, (Windows 10 wasn't free) and paying....And all the while the corporation that makes the OS takes, and takes, and takes and disrespects and yet individuals think that's great because VR!

I don't claim to be the smartest, but I can understand completely how individuals like the ones above can make me appear to be the smartest - I mean come on! What individual defends such rubbish!

[sarcasm off]

Time won't stand still. History shows time and time again examples of tech companies flying high, seemingly undefeatable, only to hit rock bottom and go bankrupt as a result of a CEO and stupid decisions (sound familiar?). A Classic example is Commodore Computer's, they had the best selling computer ever, they had technology that was way beyond it's time, they could FAB their own silicon FFS! And due to one man they faded away into obscurity. Another example of a tech company that got so close to the edge that they saw the ocean was Apple, they were so close they called Steve Jobs back as a last resort and clawed back via the ipod as opposed to an actual computer. It's all happened before, it will happen time and time again. Since Linux is open source and not owned by a single corperation or micromanaged according to the stock market, it literally cannot fade away into obscurity, at worst it'll evolve and that probably won't be a bad thing.

Yep, seems a change in management causes a downhill effect. Actually look at apple today, what are they doing? Everything Steve said he'd never do, and what do those things do? Tank. Unless Microsoft does another clean out of management, (seems like MS management is like the os, good, bad, good, bad), I look forward to what Linux will produce. Almost feels like a lot of stuff happening outside of Microsoft is because of windows 10 and how it's been handled. Mostly because of how it's been handled. Just look at Vulcan. Never heard of it until recent times and it's going off.

Yep, seems a change in management causes a downhill effect. Actually look at apple today, what are they doing? Everything Steve said he'd never do, and what do those things do? Tank. Unless Microsoft does another clean out of management, (seems like MS management is like the os, good, bad, good, bad), I look forward to what Linux will produce. Almost feels like a lot of stuff happening outside of Microsoft is because of windows 10 and how it's been handled. Mostly because of how it's been handled. Just look at Vulcan. Never heard of it until recent times and it's going off.

All very true. It usually happens from the current CEO down and is a knee jerk reaction to a changing market.

So my sister-in-law came down for Easter. She was in the market for a new tablet. She has an old Samsung CloverTrail device that's actually running ok under Windows 10 but it was never very fast and now it has problems charging. I asked her what her budget was and to my surprise she was willing to go to $900. She was fine with using Windows 10 and since she was already familiar with the experience she wanted to stick to it. On my recommendation we got her a Samsung TabPro S which is $700 at Best Buy. I'd played with one in store a while back and the reviews have been very good overall. So we got it home, in installed the Creators Update, Office (she uses that now and then for church and work stuff), etc. Really a nice device and pretty quick, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. The keyboard is ok but a little cramped but usable, nice trackpad. Beautiful screen. Seems like she's really happy with it, well see.

I guess this where I get into the most disagreements with Windows 10 critics. For its issues I'd say 10 goes what it needs to pretty well. On hardware like this TabPro S, it's pretty slick. And I can't really see how installing Windows 7 or 8.1 or a Linux distro would improve the day to day function of this kind of device over Windows 10. And we're proceeding with moving to 10 at work. And I've just updated my 8th device to the CU without any real incident.

So these are just the facts of my situation. If Windows 10 were as problematic as some say I don't see how I'd be able to use it, or how I could update 8 different devices that vary so widely without issue. Of course mileage varies, I get that. I'd simply like someone to tell me what to use instead of 10 without saying things like Office is crap or VR is crap or how no one uses a Windows tablet except as a laptop.

So I got a new SSD a few days ago (512gb Samsung 850 Pro) which meant I'd have to be doing a fresh install of Windows on my main PC. I've been going back and forth with it but I finally decided to give Windows 10 a try. I grab the iso/thumb drive I've used for multiple Windows 10 installations on other machines and get started. After drive selection in the setup process, I am repeatedly greeted with BSOD's (whatever they're called now, idfk). Deeming it not worth my time, I boot back off my old SSD, create a Windows 7 installation, and proceed to reboot and install Windows 7 back onto my machine. I know this isn't the usual case as I've installed 10 on many other machines but in this specific situation, I decided to say fuck it. There's no features I need/want from Windows 10. And since I can still get up to date drives and software for my "ancient" OS (Microsoft seems to be the only one not wanting to back it anymore by blocking CPU's), I'm perfectly happy.

So my sister-in-law came down for Easter. She was in the market for a new tablet. She has an old Samsung CloverTrail device that's actually running ok under Windows 10 but it was never very fast and now it has problems charging. I asked her what her budget was and to my surprise she was willing to go to $900. She was fine with using Windows 10 and since she was already familiar with the experience she wanted to stick to it. On my recommendation we got her a Samsung TabPro S which is $700 at Best Buy. I'd played with one in store a while back and the reviews have been very good overall. So we got it home, in installed the Creators Update, Office (she uses that now and then for church and work stuff), etc. Really a nice device and pretty quick, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. The keyboard is ok but a little cramped but usable, nice trackpad. Beautiful screen. Seems like she's really happy with it, well see.

I guess this where I get into the most disagreements with Windows 10 critics. For its issues I'd say 10 goes what it needs to pretty well. On hardware like this TabPro S, it's pretty slick. And I can't really see how installing Windows 7 or 8.1 or a Linux distro would improve the day to day function of this kind of device over Windows 10. And we're proceeding with moving to 10 at work. And I've just updated my 8th device to the CU without any real incident.

So these are just the facts of my situation. If Windows 10 were as problematic as some say I don't see how I'd be able to use it, or how I could update 8 different devices that vary so widely without issue. Of course mileage varies, I get that. I'd simply like someone to tell me what to use instead of 10 without saying things like Office is crap or VR is crap or how no one uses a Windows tablet except as a laptop.

And another post that has nothing to do with our topic. So generic, so predictable, happy candy story of successful W10 installation for clueless (sister-in-law) client. Countless others like that out there, certainly more then the unhappy ones, just like for W7. What does that have to do with MS blunder?
I have a great idea, create a topic in which you will post reports of every day successful (or not) interactions with various MS systems as your tech life brings you. You get to write, some of us may even read :)

So great, you're using a tablet OS on a tablet!

And another post that has nothing to do with our topic. So generic, so predictable, happy candy story of successful W10 installation for clueless (sister-in-law) client. Countless others like that out there, certainly more then the unhappy ones, just like for W7. What does that have to do with MS blunder?
I have a great idea, create a topic in which you will post reports of every day successful (or not) interactions with various MS systems as your tech life brings you. You get to write, some of us may even read :)

LOL! Well I did email our MS rep at work and let him know that I thought that blocking these updates was a bad idea. That's a lot more than the people calling me a shill did.

LOL! Well I did email our MS rep at work and let him know that I thought that blocking these updates was a bad idea. That's a lot more than the people calling me a shill did.

As someone who has worked enough sales jobs to know. Most likely your rep had a great belly laugh if you really did mention anything to them. Your rep don't give a shit about MS corp policy. As long as your company keeps making them their comish, bonuses and scores them the odd spiff they could care less about any possible shady BS MS was up to. The number of sales folks that believe in the "work for an employer you believe in" line is pretty damn low.

Microsoft needs a new business model:

1. Every new OS is the same as the old one, except patched.
2. Users who want to keep the old OS have to pay for the new OS, or their old one will stop working.

I'm serious. Moving to a new OS is a pain in the ass. Learning a new OS is a pain in the ass. If they want to add an actual new feature, they can just patch the thing in. This would solve everybody's problems.

As someone who has worked enough sales jobs to know. Most likely your rep had a great belly laugh if you really did mention anything to them. Your rep don't give a shit about MS corp policy. As long as your company keeps making them their comish, bonuses and scores them the odd spiff they could care less about any possible shady BS MS was up to. The number of sales folks that believe in the "work for an employer you believe in" line is pretty damn low.

I given a ton feedback to Microsoft through various on channels about various over the years. It's easy to get cynical and complacent about things and I'll be the first to admit that aren't necessarily nimble and as responsive as they probably should be but the folks I've dealt with at Microsoft tend to at least make an attempt to listen.

But Microsoft does get a lot of communication for a lot of different people with lots of different concerns. They aren't blind to issues but they may not do what you want either. But sometimes they have in my case. Like in my case. I made a very specific request in Windows 10, to give the task bar an autohide mode for tablet mode. I don't think that was a huge request but they did at that to the Anniversary Update.

It's not forced obsolesce, Windows 7 and 8.1 would need to be retrofitted to be fully compatible with CPUs that didn't exist when those OSes were developed. And where's the numbers showing Ryzen overall working better on Windows 7 than 10?

Serious question, does this mean Windows 10 will need to be retrofitted to be fully compatible with CPUs that didn't exist when the OS was developed?

Does anyone here know of any full system backup solution (except Microsoft backup) that can deal with DiskCrypt encrypted volumes?

Serious question, does this mean Windows 10 will need to be retrofitted to be fully compatible with CPUs that didn't exist when the OS was developed?

The first RTM version of Windows 10 wasn't compatible with the new Skylake power features, so yes.

Back