New Processors Are Now Blocked from Receiving Updates on Old Windows

Won't do you any good. The updates now are all cumulative, including security-only.
This patch was added even to that, not just the security and quality rollup.
Going forward, if there's any doubt whether your CPU may get flagged incorrectly, you can't update. Even worse, again, the update, once installed, cannot be removed. You have to either restore a backup, or reimage from scratch.

If you're not already making routine backups of your OS drive, I strongly recommend grabbing Veeam Endpoint Backup Free and start, before you install any updates going forward.

Yea, I system restored, then installed all but the two April updates. Seems to not be annoying me now. So I guess that's the end of security updates for my windows 8.1 system that is supposed to still be in full support. That's the issue.

I wonder why any software/hardware company would want to make an item Win 10 only. How many potential customers are lost from 7/8/8.1? Just seems weird to me.
Is it really that difficult to make it compatible with 7/8?

I wonder why any software/hardware company would want to make an item Win 10 only. How many potential customers are lost from 7/8/8.1? Just seems weird to me.
Is it really that difficult to make it compatible with 7/8?
It is compatible, it works fine.
Microsoft dont like that because it doesnt promote downgrading to Windows 10.
They had a hissy fit and redefined what support means.
Their word means nothing.

Care to walk me through how that might happen? Honestly, I'm not seeing how the situation is going to change dramatically 10, 20 years from now. It's like Linux are thorium reactors and Windows are uranium. There can be an endless number of reasons why one is better over the other and should theoretically take over, yet here we are without thorium reactors.

If anything, I'm even more pessimistic about Windows losing its stranglehold than ever. Look at Windows 10. If ever there was an OS that should get people to quit Windows, that's it. Hell, even PC Gamer had an article recently complaining about the problems it causes. From my perspective, its measures go far beyond what a personal OS should ever do control-wise. Yet, not only is it being tolerated, it now has the majority marketshare for gamers. For this generation at least, the market has spoken. There are holdouts like me on Windows 7, but we'll eventually cave to 10 once we're left behind by too many games (which I don't see happening before 2020, but still). The foreseeable future for PC gaming is still Windows, now matter how many missteps Microsoft seems to take.

So explain to me how this situation is going to change. What is going to make gamers drop Windows and move to Linux by the truckload? It sure as hell doesn't seem to be drifting that way for the near future. I think if gamers now tolerate Windows 10, they'll tolerate anything. The most I'm hearing is devs aren't thrilled with DX12 and Microsoft APIs, but that's hardly enough to stop making devs release Windows-first. I suspect 10 years from now, the story will be largely the same, with either consoles or Windows being the lead skew, PC gaming still being largely synonymous with Windows, easier porting to Linux because of more portable code, but not substantial change for Linux gaming in marketshare. That's it. So what am I missing?

Its simple really....

As others have said windows is in decline... Developers play nice but all secretly (and some very much not secretly) hate MS. All the anti MS hate you see around here you also see on programmer hang out sites. The numbers of people willing to say Man I hate MS grow all the time. lol

I have pulled out my crystal ball many times... and if you want me to tell you how I believe it will go down this is it.

First I never said it will happen tomorrow... I would say 4-5 years is what MS has left and here are my reasons.

- game development takes an average of 4 years or so. Currently Vulkan is catching fire with developers... there are more games being developed to support vulkan then DX12. There are even more games being developed for Sonys GNMX.
- Sony has started playing very nice with Google. Recently Sony open sourced a bunch of Audio codecs that they have been hyper protective of for close to 20 years. They allowed the Mini disc platform to die rather then allow other companies to use their compression tech... and now they have made it free so Google could add it to android.
- Google has been pushing into MS territory for years. They started with phones... and we can say that wasn't MS territory. But it was wasn't it. Apple got the news but MS was selling devices longer and did not bad at one time. They squeezed BB and MS right out of the market. They have also set their sights on lower end laptops (and previous desktop users) with chrome books... and have been improving chromeos ever since.
- IMO its only a matter of time before google goes in for the kill in regards to consumer class devices. ChromeOS Pro is coming... and MS knows it. Its only a matter of time before google goes after the higher end laptop market and I don't believe its far off. When they go their running ChromeOS Pro on a desktop PC shouldn't be a bit deal.
- Now assuming that happens.... Sony likes to keep things locked down, and ChromeOS is for sure locked down. I would not be shocked at all to see one of 2 things happen. One Sony just goes all in and open sources GNMX for use in ChromeOS Pro... and populates a Sony/Google Chrome Game store with PS4 class games. Or they provide tools to convert GNMX to Vulkan.
- A Sony/Google store doesn't populate a Linux Store of course.... but unless google makes some crazy change a ChromeOS pro will still be Linux powered. At that point a company like Steam that already has great developer support could be in a great position to strike a direct deal, and heck might even find itself on a ChromeOS Pro desktop over a Sony/Google version. Or worst case developers themselves may be able to publish their games on Steam easier then they can for Windows.

That is how I see it unfolding for MS... we'll see. Its far out. I have never said Linux was the best game platform today. It won't be tomorrow either. In a few years though... yes I doubt MS is able to hang on to their current position.

- Google has been pushing into MS territory for years. They started with phones... and we can say that wasn't MS territory. But it was wasn't it. Apple got the news but MS was selling devices longer and did not bad at one time. They squeezed BB and MS right out of the market. They have also set their sights on lower end laptops (and previous desktop users) with chrome books... and have been improving chromeos ever since.
- IMO its only a matter of time before google goes in for the kill in regards to consumer class devices. ChromeOS Pro is coming... and MS knows it. Its only a matter of time before google goes after the higher end laptop market and I don't believe its far off. When they go their running ChromeOS Pro on a desktop PC shouldn't be a bit deal.

This is the key to growth. Most 'other OS' market share is Chrome OS simply because there are cheap Chromebooks in Walmarts everywhere.

I have a 15" HP i3 notebook that I got for $400. The first thing I did was rip out the slow 1TB hard drive with Windows 10 and put in a 250GB SSD with Linux Mint. OEM's really need to question the value of bundling a Windows 10 license in these budget and midrange machines when Linux and an SSD offers a vastly superior user experience. What value does 10 add for most users? Software compatibility is less of an issue than ever, and I imagine most users who 'need' Windows for a particular program or feature are going to be going with a Pro version anyway.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I agree with you there, but, then again, getting called a shill on the internet by someone I do not know and really do not care much about? LOL I have been called far worse by people I know and that does bother me, this, not so much. I have not redone my computer from scratch since September of 2015 and it has gone through 3 complete hardware configuration changes. So that means, original Windows 10, update for November 2015, Anniversary Update and now the Creators update, no instability, locking up or BSOD's.

This build has gone from Intel Z170, AMD FX 970 AM3+ and now on X370 AM4+. It went from a AMD R9 290, then a EVGA 980 Ti and now 2 x Sapphire R9 Furies Non X. All I had to do is put my WIndows 8 Pro product key in, activate and it works. It does appear that one of my drive letters changed on one of my hard drives but, that will be fixable. (Icons are missing for some games which is why I think a drive letter change occurred.)

I couldn't care less about being called a shill in an anonymous forum. It's just that I actually agree that Microsoft shouldn't be blocking these updates and so like how does that make me a shill when I'm flat out saying that I disagree with Microsoft? Perhaps some don't understand what a shill is I guess?

Software availability.

I have more Linux compatible games than free time to play. All my favorite games run on Linux and all my hardware 'just works.' I don't need to keep a Windows machine around for random programs like I did years ago. Linux on the desktop has become a viable platform for home users.

How's that Windows app store going?

Ah, we're talking about "dominance" differently. I'm talking about MARKETSHARE dominance, which is my point in all of this. I think you're undermining your own argument. You're pointing to 68k platforms as being technically superior to DOS, fine, I'm not arguing that. In the same way 68k may have been the superior platform, Linux could be the superior OS, but if it doesn't get the marketshare and userbase for gaming, then it still doesn't get anywhere. That's my point. For all the progress Linux has made over the years in gaming, it has barely even DENTED MS's utter stranglehold on PC gaming. Unless people buying new gaming PCs are getting Linux as their go-to OS, I don't see how this is going to change. The argument you're currently making is Linux gaming now is as to 68k gaming in the 90s. Not an optimistic analogy for the future of Linux gaming!

The analogy I'm making is that Linux gaming it currently in a better position than Windows gaming was in the 90's, you've got it the wrong way around. Furthermore, while I don't have specific figures I'd be surprised if Windows was always the dominant platform marketshare wise from inception due to outright price of the machines alone. I remember my P100 machine with no accelerator and 100MB HDD costing me well over $2000.00 AU in the day, now convert that to current $$ , it was ludicrous money!

And as a long time Amiga user I wasn't one bit happy about buying it.

As a retro gamer and collector it's one thing that always suprises me about the people that collect early PC hardware and get all nostalgic about it - I don't get it, in the day the PC was a POS in comparison to other offerings. If Commodore weren't (mis)managed by a moron of a CEO things may be vastly different today.

I couldn't care less about being called a shill in an anonymous forum. It's just that I actually agree that Microsoft shouldn't be blocking these updates and so like how does that make me a shill when I'm flat out saying that I disagree with Microsoft? Perhaps some don't understand what a shill is I guess?

The reason you grit your teeth and point out what you consider to be a minor MS issue is nothing more than an attempt to deflect the well known on the [H] and more forums that you're a MS shill. Out of all of your 43,000 posts you can pretty guarantee 80% of those would have the word Microsoft in them.

The reason people are hating on MS ATM is perfectly valid and reasonable. As a company they're shunning their customer base not only with Windows 7/8, but with Windows 10 and all of it's issues.

I have more Linux compatible games than free time to play. All my favorite games run on Linux and all my hardware 'just works.' I don't need to keep a Windows machine around for random programs like I did years ago. Linux on the desktop has become a viable platform for home users.

How's that Windows app store going?

There's just many more software options for Windows regardless if you care about them or not. As for the Windows Store, yeah, it's not great but there's useful stuff there. If you're a Netflix user there's not reason not to use the app, tablet or desktop. It's just another option to get software.

The reason people are hating on MS ATM is perfectly valid and reasonable. As a company they're shunning their customer base not only with Windows 7/8, but with Windows 10 and all of it's issues.

People have long hated on Microsoft, nothing new.

Software availability.

As time goes on and more applications move to the cloud that's something that's going to become less of an issue. Hell, since MS fixed their mistake with Office online you can run MS Office under Linux no problem.

Running applications in a browser just makes sense.

Nope, I have way too many games that will not run on Linux. Unfortunate because I would like to switch completely to Linux.

Software availability.

Name ONE.

I'm being serious.

Name one program an AVERAGE user needs that isn't on Linux.

Don't say MS office... 1) average users don't need an office program anymore. and 2) those that do have already been using Google Docs
Don't say Photoshop... average users buying sub $1000 machines don't buy software that costs $250 a year.
Don't say X or Y 3D game... only 17% of computers even ship with an actual 3d card. Average users don't use their computers to game outside of facebook.

Reactions: mat9v
like this
Name ONE.

I'm being serious.

Name one program an AVERAGE user needs that isn't on Linux.

Don't say MS office... 1) average users don't need an office program anymore. and 2) those that do have already been using Google Docs
Don't say Photoshop... average users buying sub $1000 machines don't buy software that costs $250 a year.
Don't say X or Y 3D game... only 17% of computers even ship with an actual 3d card. Average users don't use their computers to game outside of facebook.

So don't say anything that's not Linux compatible. LOL!

You really seem upset about being called a shill. If it really doesn't bother you just drop it. :)

If it really does bother you just.... say unequivocally without making any sandwiches. MS is wrong... this is a bad decision and there is zero upside for them here >.<

I know it will be really hard to not follow that up with a BUT. Still I believe in you heatle you can do it.

But why? You should care why so many people hate your beloved software company.

Meh, not my problem. Windows does what I need and it does for millions of others. If there's something better that would do the job, we'd all be using it.

Meh, not my problem. Windows does what I need and it does for millions of others. If there's something better that would do the job, we'd all be using it.

Careful what you wish for in public MS may ask for their employee badge back.

Seriously though... you are right people just want a device that does what they want when they want where they want. Which is why Android is now the worlds #1 OS.

Which is solely due to marketing, popularity is no measurement of better. You're comparing an OS that's aggressively marketed and quantified by retail sales, to an OS that has little to no marketing and can't in any way even remotely quantified with any accuracy at all.

Last edited:
People have long hated on Microsoft, nothing new.
Yarite. MS is more consumer hostile than they have ever been. No comparison. They've done some shady stuff over the years - threatening OEMs and IHVs if they dared support competing API standards, or made Linux equipped PCs available for order; and they've crapped on PC gamers for 17 years, but nothing compares to this current 10 era of underhanded, malware level tactics with upgradegate and telemetrygate. It's like they're going out of their way to alienate their most longtime customers.

That's just consumers. Microsoft has also never understood its product is "mission critical" to its business and professional customers, and misconstrued their repeat business as an invitation to abuse our trust and interfere with our work.

Back in the day when "GUI" was all the rage and desktop computing was the solution to slow mainframe application deployment, Microsoft was part of the solution. 20 years later, their myopic, incompetent greed has made them part of the problem.

We should not kick people lying on the floor, it's heartless. Heatlesssun and CO can not stand up and answer our questions without revealing the sad truth of MS incoming downfall :)
Joking aside, it's hard to predict how fast MS will fall, it is mostly big companies that keep it going, apps that are so long in the tooth that everyone forgot who wrote them :) and are crucial to workflow, but it will change and the biggest reason for it will be cloud computing. Along with changes in workplace, the need for compatible software at home will lessen so will MS penetration at work@home environment.
Faster networks that allow for game streaming from cloud servers, charging for performance by the hour, so even less users will feel the need to buy expensive hardware and specific OS to play games, casual gamers will welcome that most of all. Only the hardcore ones will insist on top performance and lowest latency and even they will falter when games quit coming out for Windows. Let's see, there are few services that offer gaming by the hour and, correct me if I'm wrong, but Origin? offers monthly plan for playing any game in the Vault? How hard would it be to sell that along the monthly pay plan to stream games - to any compatible OS, say 75h a month playing games for XX $ from a list of available titles or pay premium for latest and best, maybe less if you like only RPGs, possibilities are endless. You could play on a 400$ machine and the 1000$ you saved on components would buy you years of free gaming.
Yes, latency is a big issue here, that's why I say competitive gaming will remain local, for now. It is worth remembering that the only problem with that setup is quick transmission of video from server to user, with increased network of servers delays will get lower, finally to fall below typical 20-50ms of online gaming. Because the streaming server we are playing on will have much better connection to typical gaming server then we ever could have at home, or maybe they will be at the same location, in the same server cluster or the same room. We will probably have to pay more for faster network connections but we would like to have them anyway. This scenario is also a big problem for console gaming, and it may happen that they will also evolve to be a "dumb terminals" for online gaming that we only connect to TVs and game controllers.
Probably the only saving grace for MS is for now an advent of VR gaming, mostly due to additional hardware required for gamer positioning, but it is conceivable that such data could also be gathered and sent to servers to process, with adequate network connections. What is more important is that VR have a much more even starting ground on every system, it can work as well on Android, Linux or Windows, using the same OpenGL or Vulkan APIs, there is no huge advantage of MS on this ground, all platforms start more or less equal.
The lesson from all those possibilities is simple, MS is getting to be less and less indispensable and no longer the only one to turn to for good experience. For now it's the best for quality gaming, but it won't last, there are too many alternatives and the noose that MS is trying to use will scare users away (the programmers are already running away).

Reactions: ChadD
like this
You really seem upset about being called a shill. If it really doesn't bother you just drop it. :)

It just makes no sense to be called a Microsoft when you're saying Microsoft is wrong. Not upset, just confused at how one can say "Microsoft is wrong." and then be called a Microsoft shill. It's just bizarre and not based in anything I said.

It just makes no sense to be called a Microsoft when you're saying Microsoft is wrong. Not upset, just confused at how one can say "Microsoft is wrong." and then be called a Microsoft shill. It's just bizarre and not based in anything I said.

I know I used a vulgar saying earlier... I guess you didn't understand the point I was making.

Lots of CEOs even will admit to making a bad decision.... then proceed to list 20 positive things about their company.

So yes no one is denying you said this is a bad decision. We are simply noticing that you spent 20 follow up posts arguing how it doesn't matter, it makes sense ect...

Companies hire spin doctor types to do exactly what you are doing right now. Yes what we did was bad... however we would like to point you to all this wonderful humanitarian work we are doing.

Lots of CEOs even will admit to making a bad decision.... then proceed to list 20 positive things about their company.

I never said anything positive about this particular move by Microsoft. In fact I agreed with you when you said the stupidity of this is in how few people this really effects yet it draws much negative PR. For what? To prevent a small group of people who'd install an old OS on brand new CPUs.

So for those with new CPUs you have 1 Windows OS forcing updates on you and 2 Windows updates blocking updates from you. Microsoft never heard of a middle ground ? Also the fact Windows 8.1 is being blocked while being in mainstream support is abysmal.

Is there a way for all of us software developers to get together and make a perfect OS for the whole world? Free.....Yeah Linux is a good desktop but not equal to windows.

Is there a way for all of us software developers to get together and make a perfect OS for the whole world? Free.....Yeah Linux is a good desktop but not equal to windows.

That's the great thing about Linux: you can make it better. What's stopping you improving Linux ?

Yarite. MS is more consumer hostile than they have ever been. No comparison.

Yarite. Because no one thought Microsoft was hostile to consumers when it was being sued under anti-trust laws almost 20 years ago. Really, sometimes people here say some crazy shit to make no point at all.

So for those with new CPUs you have 1 Windows OS forcing updates on you and 2 Windows updates blocking updates from you. Microsoft never heard of a middle ground ? Also the fact Windows 8.1 is being blocked while being in mainstream support is abysmal.

Funny thing about that though, everyone attacking me in this thread denounced Windows 8.1.

Yarite. Because no one thought Microsoft was hostile to consumers when it was being sued under anti-trust laws almost 20 years ago. Really, sometimes people here say some crazy shit to make no point at all.

I think it is a case of Microsoft being the same old evil but suddenly pissing people off who tolerated them before.

Funny thing about that though, everyone attacking me in this thread denounced Windows 8.1.

People hate Windows 8.1 until it helps support their points. Tells you how much they hate 10.

What is more important is that VR have a much more even starting ground on every system, it can work as well on Android, Linux or Windows, using the same OpenGL or Vulkan APIs, there is no huge advantage of MS on this ground, all platforms start more or less equal.

Have you looked at the library of VR games on Steam? There are 3 Linux compatible VR games on Steam. And 1242 Windows compatible VR games. What do you honestly think a person that spends the money on PCVR is going to run under these circumstances? But hey Microsoft shill, because common sense.

I think that would come back to that thing called personal opinion.

People seem to cope just fine with macOS, my Linux desktop isn't terribly dissimilar with the exception I can read/write to NTFS partitions without using the terminal (yes, under macOS the terminal is still necessary in many cases and the commands are almost identical to the commands used under Linux) and I have a far better file manager.

There's nothing perfect about the Windows desktop.

I think it is a case of Microsoft being the same old evil but suddenly pissing people off who tolerated them before.

Whatever the case, the idea that Microsoft hatred is a new thing is ridiculous. It's been a big issue for years.

People hate Windows 8.1 until it helps support their points. Tells you how much they hate 10.

Except there is one big difference. Enterprises are going to adopt Windows 10 on a large scale. That wasn't the case for Windows 8.x.

Have you looked at the library of VR games on Steam? There are 3 Linux compatible VR games on Steam. And 1242 Windows compatible VR games. What do you honestly think a person that spends the money on PCVR is going to run under these circumstances? But hey Microsoft shill, because common sense.

And time doesn't stand still. There are people that don't want to use Windows [mindblown!], prefer Linux [mindblown again!] and are excited by the prospect of Linux adopting VR. Furthermore it's obvious Nvidia and Chronos are on the VR bandwagon regarding Linux so things will continue to advance as time goes on.

And time doesn't stand still. There are people that don't want to use Windows [mindblown!], prefer Linux [mindblown again!] and are excited by the prospect of Linux adopting VR. Furthermore it's obvious Nvidia and Chronos are on the VR bandwagon regarding Linux so things will continue to advance as time goes on.

How much longer.....I just want to frag someone on FPS games! :joyful:

Back