New Processors Are Now Blocked from Receiving Updates on Old Windows

1. That's a NO. OEM builders still sell a lot of computers with Windows 7 on latest hardware for corporate needs. What's more MS even agreed to provide updates for select OEM builders just so they can continue doing it. So MS will have to either do the work and optimize Win 7 for Skylake or the updates are agnostic to processors. In light of MS promise for OEMs what possible reason can there be for them not providing updates to all wanting except the blind need to force all of us to use Windows 10
From Arstechnica source of the post: "Awkwardly straddling the two policies are Intel's 6th Generation Core processors, aka Skylake. Some Skylake systems will continue to be supported in Windows 7 and 8.1. Others will not. Certain Skylake models shipped by 16 specific OEMs will continue to receive update support. " No word on Kaby Lake or Ryzen

Just providing a real world example of this, not exactly sure what point you're trying to make. The hardware the bank started using last year was certified for both Windows 7 and 10 because we're on the migration path. So our systems were on that Skylake list you mentioned. So when any of those devices still in service when 10 gets pushed out will be compatible.

2. Why would Microsoft care, they should say: From this moment on Kaby Lake and Ryzen are not supported on Windows 7 and Windows 8 due to end of mainstream support clause. Use at your own risk.

I agree, Microsoft shouldn't care, especially for a tiny group of DIYers that are really the only ones that would have kind of an emotional response to this. In all of my years of building PCs with Windows, I've ALWAYS installed the latest version of Windows on new hardware. And I'd say that that's the near overwhelming majority of DIYers. If you look at gaming and benchmark threads in this forum, It looks to be around 90% of the folks running late hardware are using 10.

So yeah, there was no need for Microsoft inflict this bad PR for something that ultimately is near meaningless.

My point is it should be MY choice, not Microsoft's. If I chose to run Win 7 on the latest hardware knowing that I won't get all the new chip features, so be it. Why does Microsoft get a say? It's my crap. If my OS is a legal copy, Microsoft shouldn't care or have a say.

You are right, I think MS should give the figurative finger and just let the updates happen. Then, if or when things break, they can shrug their shoulders and say I told you so. However, then MS will be blamed for intentionally breaking things, go figure. :eek: LOL :D Oh well, this is not going to change, no matter what we do or do not want.

WTF? How does complaining about the management responsible for this crap in any way equate with antisemitism?

I had to drive out of state to fix a disabled, elderly family member's computer because of this forced update nonsense. I'd love to see all the people responsible for that get named and shamed.
F636xiP.gif

If you install the March rollup, however you do it, WSUS Offline or not, Windows will start popping up that window in your face every ~30 minutes or so. You simply cannot install the March rollup or this will happen.

Really, I'd love to know what's wrong with you.
Complete MS shill. I actually thought at one point that maybe they weren't, so I removed them from the ignore list and have since reverted that choice.
It's interesting to read threads without seeing their posts, but seeing other people (such as yourself) quote or reply to things that (on my end) have no visible "who that is" but I know without even seeing it.
It's just tired, beyond tired. No one (who isn't a shill) would post like that.
Easier to ignore via ignore list.

Can we still use WSU Offline?
http://download.wsusoffline.net

Maybe that is a solution. Bypass windows update baked into win 7.

Until the update is offered in WSUSOffline, which I see no reason to believe it won't be. Typically they will blacklist updates and they won't be offered (like the ones that add telemetry points to Win7/8.1) but I doubt they'll blacklist any of the April updates just because of the CPU lockout issues.

The problem then becomes 'going forward'. Every monthly rollup includes fixes from the previous rollups, so May's rollup will include April's updates, so if you skip April and install May, you're fucked. The question remains on the security-only update side (which is one of the choices now in WSUSOffline). But, does MS then start pushing the CPU lockout code in all subsequent security-only patches going forward? At this point, I wouldn't put it past them.

If you have 7/8.1 and a newer CPU, you're almost screwed at this point into never updating, or hopping through a minefield. Even though I don't have a CPU that is on the 'danger' list, the problem is I don't trust them for shit. There are already systems that should be immune that have installed the update and now their CPU is being incorrectly flagged and they're getting the alerts; one of the posters here reported that a few weeks ago.

If you install the March rollup, however you do it, WSUS Offline or not, Windows will start popping up that window in your face every ~30 minutes or so. You simply cannot install the March rollup or this will happen.

If you mean the March preview rollup, yes, since that contains the fixes published in April. The CPU lockout applies to all of the April updates, both the security monthly quality rollup, as well as the security only update.
It shouldn't be included in the security only update, since it's not a security issue, it's a feature update (if you can call it that). That just goes to show you how big of a bag of dicks that MS has become, since they're pushing non-security updates with security-only updates.
At this point I may never update my Win7 machines anymore, which puts me in (what others designate as) 'Group W'. No more updates from here on out.
Oh well, don't really care - I've already started dual booting into Ubuntu MATE and basically do everything in there now. The games that haven't been ported over, I boot into 7 for if I want to play them - and that's it.

What's even more sad is once you install that update, that's it. It can't be uninstalled or removed.
Needless to say, if you haven't updated your 7/8.1 boxes yet, you'd be very wise to do a full system image (if you don't already do them regularly already) before installing anything. Most people (myself included) wait typically 2 weeks before applying 'new' updates anyway, and yes, that includes the day0 patch they put out for Word.

Last edited:
Blocking security updates on systems that don't actually need to be upgraded. How much is Intel paying Microsoft for this crap? My Dad in his 70's doesn't need to upgrade from his i7 920 at 4.5GHZ. He can still play his golf and need for speed and do his taxes. Of course, his video card and newer drives had an impact but he will not upgrade over Microsoft arbitrarily making this decision. I can't imagine how many older people will suddenly be without security updates that won't go out and spend money to fix this. Whatever plan they have is going to backfire on Microsoft hard.

This applies to systems with new CPUs and Win7 or 8.1. These old folks plan on installing latest CPU? No, so it is a non-issue for them. It is an issue for people like me that want to upgrade the cpu but also want to use Win8.1. This is Microsoft trickery and not Intel.

Complete MS shill. I actually thought at one point that maybe they weren't, so I removed them from the ignore list and have since reverted that choice.
It's interesting to read threads without seeing their posts, but seeing other people (such as yourself) quote or reply to things that (on my end) have no visible "who that is" but I know without even seeing it.
It's just tired, beyond tired. No one (who isn't a shill) would post like that.
Easier to ignore via ignore list.

If I were a shill I wouldn't be agreeing that Microsoft shouldn't have done this. Some around here are far to quick to through around labels than to engage with facts and reality on these matters. In researching this apparently you cannot use .MSU files to update but you can use .CAB files with DISM. Indeed not ideal and as I said from the beginning MICROSOFT SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THIS. Now my reasoning on why they shouldn't have done this is might catch the ire of those who think I'm an MS shill. They shouldn't have done this because why self-inflict the bad PR over a non-issue? The number of people clamoring to install an 8 and 4 year OS on brand new hardware is tiny at most relative to the size of the Windows user base. Grandma and grandpa couldn't care less about something like this. But this tiny group is vocal and have been long time Windows users so there's no need to antagonize them.

It's just like the privacy concerns. No need to antagonize a small but important group of folks over something that should just be in the box. And yes, even in the home versions the telemetry can be disabled. I've pointed out Winaero Tweaker and Microsoft's own how to guide for enterprise users: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services. Sometimes it's not about emotions or being a shill or whatever, but a matter of reading technical info. The info and tools are right there, just no button in the UI. And also a more complex issue than people realize. Like people freaking out over privacy concerns because of Windows pinging this: DNS.MSFTNCSI.COM. If you're freaking out about that then you have not researched how Windows connects to Microsoft servers and this only thing is it's all "spyware".

Last edited:
If I were a shill I wouldn't be agreeing that Microsoft shouldn't have done this. Some around here are far to quick to through around labels than to engage with facts and reality on these matters. In researching this apparently you cannot use .MSU files to update but you can use .CAB files with DISM. Indeed not ideal and as I said from the beginning MICROSOFT SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THIS. Now my reasoning on why they shouldn't have done this is might catch the ire of those who think I'm an MS shill. They shouldn't have done this because why self-inflict the bad PR over a non-issue? The number of people clamoring to install an 8 and 4 year OS on brand new hardware is tiny at most relative to the size of the Windows user base. Grandma and grandpa couldn't care less about something like this. But this tiny group is vocal and have been long time Windows users so there's no need to antagonize them.

It's just like the privacy concerns. No need to antagonize a small but important group of folks over something that should just be in the box. And yes, even in the home versions the telemetry can be disabled. I've pointed out Winaero Tweaker and Microsoft's own how to guide for enterprise users: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services. Sometimes it's not about emotions or being a shill or whatever, but a matter of reading technical info. The info and tools are right there, just no button in the UI. And also a more complex issue than people realize. Like people freaking out over privacy concerns because of Windows pinging this: DNS.MSFTNCSI.COM. If you're freaking out about that then you have not researched how Windows connects to Microsoft servers and this only thing is it's all "spyware".

It isn't like a lot of normal people know how to capture traffic data, analyze it and make informed conclusions about type of traffic that is being passed.
I do question why would a clean system make any connection except for say time services, maybe weather... right all those stupid widgets (tiles) constantly connect to servers requesting updates, it's a lot of traffic to monitor and if needed, hide data in (if we are paranoid).
That is why I would only consider using LTSB version, but then it is not available to end users, only enterprise clients. I wonder why......

Dammit. Got that stupid notification after restarting just before after installing updates yesterday. System restore and install all but the 2 april updates, no messages yet, even after a restart.

Hey, I was happy on my xeon 1231 until the board died. I couldn't find any x97 boards anymore, just base crap, so I had to get a 7700, board, cpu and ddr4. So now I get fucked over twice. 1. Hardware manufacturers not supplying anymore on something that isn't that old, 2. MS, again. Thought I could finally stop playing the check every update game when 10 roll out was in full swing, no, they still have to bully us. What am I using? Windows 8.1 that is supposed to be in full support.

nm

EDIT: They now have incorporated into the security patches too instead of the optional. Fuck Microsoft is all I can say. Linux here I come...

Last edited:
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!

You're always going on about how Windows is so much more user friendly than Linux. How Windows is so much easier to use. Now you're telling everyone who is running 7 or 8 instead of 10 that they need to do an annoying end run around MS just to get updates for their MS OS. People have been complaining for years about "how difficult it is to setup and maintain a Linux system" and that includes you. Now you're defending MS on this absolutely braindead decision and telling people to basically suck it up. Don't even try to tell me you're not defending this decision because you've been doing that the whole thread. I don't care if you've said "it's a bad decision" when you spend the rest of your time trying to rationalize and explain away how it could even be bad.

Really, I'd love to know what's wrong with you.

Sure dude, you read what you want and nothing else. Amazing what a person like myself, heatless or others can say when they do not have any preference one way or the other what OS is being used, only what is best overall for any given task. Everything you claimed is near exact opposite of everything he has said in the past.

He clearly said he did saw why they did it but, he also said that they should not have done it, considering the insignificant number it will effect. (That and the bad rep it will give them.) Ah, internet arguing, keep it going.

nm

EDIT: They now have incorporated into the security patches too instead of the optional. Fuck Microsoft is all I can say. Linux here I come...

Exactly, and those are also cumulative.
From here on out, regardless of what update mechanism you use, you're probably fucked. And even if you're not "officially", as in you're running a compatible CPU, who's to say they won't start flagging more of those. They've already done it, and they've already forced other things on people (like the upgrade). At this point, I have absolutely no trust in MS.

On a positive note, I can now pause updates up to 7 days so that my computer will not reboot well I am doing things on it over the weekend. (Work related stuff that I will not be near the computer until Monday.)

The sad thing is, the stupid w10 has some good things, but MS insist in doing these stupid moves to piss the customers off, like removing options, forcing crap like this and i don't care that others chose to ignored the built in keylogger, that is the worse offender.

I agree...
Give me an option in the Pro and higher versions to turn all telemetry off with a simple flip. It wouldn't even bother me that it was on by default.
Give me an option to pick and choose updates as it had always been.... and I could live with the number of updates that cause issues, cause at least I could opt out of feature updates until I was sure they where good to go.
Give me a bit better UI control... and don't freaking advertise your crap to me no matter what.

None of those things have to do with the operation of Windows. I mean I would still believe Linux to be superior... but I wouldn't have anything all that bad to say about Win 10. I would even keep a Win 10 drive around for games. As it is the day I build another new machine which is coming up fast I'm going to have to simply drop MS even for games.

Last edited:
Sure dude, you read what you want and nothing else. Amazing what a person like myself, heatless or others can say when they do not have any preference one way or the other what OS is being used, only what is best overall for any given task. Everything you claimed is near exact opposite of everything he has said in the past.

He clearly said he did saw why they did it but, he also said that they should not have done it, considering the insignificant number it will effect. (That and the bad rep it will give them.) Ah, internet arguing, keep it going.

And now we have you in here rationalizing for his rationalizations.

Even better that you state that I see only what I want to see when that's exactly what you're doing and what heatless always does. He does nothing else and his post history proves it. It's hilarious you even bring that point up. I've seen his posts in the Soapbox for the short time he was in there and I'm guessing few of the people posting here have a Genmay sub because this doesn't get pointed out. His posts there were effectively the same as here, he sees only what he wants to see and nothing else. It's just that his posting history in the Soapbox is a lot more blatant than what he posts here. It's always the same thing all the time no matter what and no evidence of proof will change his mind.

He couldn't even come up with a proper response to my post earlier. It all boiled down to "muh ecosystem" and "muh hardware" and "everyone who doesn't think like me doesn't matter."

I agree...
Give me an option in the Pro and higher versions to turn all telemetry off with a simple flip. It wouldn't even bother me that it was on by default.
Give me an option to pick and choose updates as it had always been.... and I could live with the number of updates that cause issues, cause at least I could opt out of feature updates until I was sure they where good to go.
Give me a bit better UI control... and don't freaking advertise your crap to me no matter what.

None of those things have to do with the operation of Windows. I mean I would still believe Linux to be superior... but I wouldn't have anything all that bad to say about Win 10. I would even keep a Win 10 drive around for games. As it is the day I build another new machine which is coming up fast I'm going to have to simply drop MS even for games.

Can I add one more thing?

Give me an option on install to install just the desktop interface, no touch interface at all, no Settings Panel.

And now we have you in here rationalizing for his rationalizations.

Even better that you state that I see only what I want to see when that's exactly what you're doing and what heatless always does. He does nothing else and his post history proves it. It's hilarious you even bring that point up. I've seen his posts in the Soapbox for the short time he was in there and I'm guessing few of the people posting here have a Genmay sub because this doesn't get pointed out. His posts there were effectively the same as here, he sees only what he wants to see and nothing else. It's just that his posting history in the Soapbox is a lot more blatant than what he posts here. It's always the same thing all the time no matter what and no evidence of proof will change his mind.

He couldn't even come up with a proper response to my post earlier. It all boiled down to "muh ecosystem" and "muh hardware" and "everyone who doesn't think like me doesn't matter."
He's that jacked up he threatened me via pm.
For a while he kept quiet about my posts after that, I guess he got told off after I exposed what he said on the forum lol.
I dont read what he or his cronies write any more because it has no value, but I read the responses for the lulz.

I agree...
Give me an option in the Pro and higher versions to turn all telemetry off with a simple flip, and I would still not be to annoyed that it was on by default.

I know I am called a Microsoft shill around here, but I guarantee you that as a non-Microsoft employee, I've done more to petition Microsoft for an all off-telemetry switch than most calling me a shill. Because I ask through channels constantly for this. Not counting things like Windows Update and the yellow internet connectivity bang that have always been there but now being called spyware by hysterics.

Updates are a much more complicated matter. Bottom line, Microsoft, like everyone else who develops software, picks a development model. Almost everyone, including Linux distros, goes with a agile process with branch schemes for stability. Ultimately, even with Linux, no one gets to pick and chose every update and maintain compatibility. That's just the laws of software.

On a positive note, I can now pause updates up to 7 days so that my computer will not reboot well I am doing things on it over the weekend. (Work related stuff that I will not be near the computer until Monday.)
So what? I get to choose what updates I want and when

For a while he kept quiet about my posts after that, I guess he got told off after I exposed what he said on the forum lol.
I dont read what he or his cronies write any more because it has no value, but I read the responses for the lulz.

What the heck are you talking about, I know I never threatened you in PM or in any thread. Also, I am not anyone's crony but hey, whatever dude. The comments I made above where strictly because I do not think he was reading what is posted in this thread about Heatless correctly and said as much, bluntly mind you.

Sorry but, I just cannot bring myself to gripe, grumble or complain about any OS here. Especially when there are far more significant things in my own life going on. Oh well, I am pleased to have a solid, stable OS that works exactly as I need and quite fast as well. Windows as a Host OS does that for me, Linux as a Host OS does not. For others, that is fine but for me, it is what it is.

I've received some interesting PM correspondence from the two of them also....

Honestly, it's obvious MS isn't making the revenue they used to make out of their Windows product hence the reason they want everyone to run W10 with it's spyware and forced advertising, they need the revenue to make up for their losses re: Windows sales. The problem is people don't approve and their new model isn't being accepted.

If Microsoft keep going down their chosen path, I give Windows another 10 years at most. Many here would claim that's impossible, many here haven't seen the top dog topple before.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
What the heck are you talking about, I know I never threatened you in PM or in any thread. Also, I am not anyone's crony but hey, whatever dude. The comments I made above where strictly because I do not think he was reading what is posted in this thread about Heatless correctly and said as much, bluntly mind you.

Sorry but, I just cannot bring myself to gripe, grumble or complain about any OS here. Especially when there are far more significant things in my own life going on. Oh well, I am pleased to have a solid, stable OS that works exactly as I need and quite fast as well. Windows as a Host OS does that for me, Linux as a Host OS does not. For others, that is fine but for me, it is what it is.
Wasnt talking about you.
Although your annoyance at posting his pms made me laugh.

So what? I get to choose what updates I want and when

Yep, or turn off updates when Windows 7 nags you to death to install now, noW, NOW! :D So yeah, there is a good bit of news in this, regardless.

Pretty soon MS will make it so you need a camera attached towards your screen, just to make sure you don't do something they don't like. Maybe even have remote access.....

Updates are a much more complicated matter. Bottom line, Microsoft, like everyone else who develops software, picks a development model. Almost everyone, including Linux distros, goes with a agile process with branch schemes for stability. Ultimately, even with Linux, no one gets to pick and chose every update and maintain compatibility. That's just the laws of software.

Actually, under Linux I've never been presented with a situation where an update wasn't my choice and there's a number of individuals still running the 14.xx branch of Ubuntu running the latest kernel with no issues whatsoever.

This is just flat out untrue.

Hey I'm glad you advocate for things you spend days arguing against. Still I believe you.

As for updates there is a HUGE difference between having the option to not install something and perhaps no longer be compatible... and having every update forced on you.
Even rolling Linux releases give you the option to NOT install anything you like... they simply make everything new optional as soon as its there. I could choose to not upgrade a piece of software forever if I choose.

MS is running a rolling release style build for end users sure... accept the only thing that makes that work in the Linux world is CHOICE. For the most part I have no issues updating everything right away.... that doesn't mean I update my kernel weakly with every single iteration either. I still have the choice to update what I want when I want. So when the odd oops this doesn't work right happens... I am not pissed and annoyed that updates broke my system, cause one I opted in and choose that update, and more important I know exactly what broke and revert it. I have run a few rolling distros for a few years now and have never had anything break that I couldn't simply revert... worst case I have to boot to a command prompt to do it, and never have I had my system down for more then 20 min or so tops. (that has been twice I think in a few years). If I wanted to be a bit more cautious I could simply update changes that are at least 2 weeks old at all times and never have an issue.

A rolling release that force updates.... its a bad combo. Yes I get that those updates are supposed to be tested in other channels... but they seem to be doing a pretty poor job of that frankly.

I've received some interesting PM correspondence from the two of them also....

Honestly, it's obvious MS isn't making the revenue they used to make out of their Windows product hence the reason they want everyone to run W10 with it's spyware and forced advertising, they need the revenue to make up for their losses re: Windows sales. The problem is people don't approve and their new model isn't being accepted.

If Microsoft keep going down their chosen path, I give Windows another 10 years at most. Many here would claim that's impossible, many here haven't seen the top dog topple before.

Perhaps it all comes down to the way they report to investors these days......

I mean Xbox and all its looses are now counted together with Windows licence sales.....

I better run from the fallout now. lol :)

Actually, under Linux I've never been presented with a situation where an update wasn't my choice and there's a number of individuals still running the 14.xx branch of Ubuntu running the latest kernel with no issues whatsoever.

This is just flat out untrue.

This no different from Windows. There are various branches with Windows also but within that branch you don't get to pick and choose updates and maintain compatibility in that branch. The difference with Windows is that consumers get pushed to the current branch. Which if they weren't, would lead to compatibility issues.

This is one area where I will defend Microsoft because it's no different, even from Linux.

Devil's advocate here, but nothing in their support agreement says they have to support specific processors. That is just for Microsoft pushing updates and supporting the product on their end.
It's not just about supporting the processors though. You are talking about blocking security updates too and that is a requirement. Microsoft can try and say it's not but trust me they will bend to corporate pressure.

Hey I'm glad you advocate for things you spend days arguing against. Still I believe you.

As for updates there is a HUGE difference between having the option to not install something and perhaps no longer be compatible... and having every update forced on you.
Even rolling Linux releases give you the option to NOT install anything you like... they simply make everything new optional as soon as its there. I could choose to not upgrade a piece of software forever if I choose.

MS is running a rolling release style build for end users sure... accept the only thing that makes that work in the Linux world is CHOICE. For the most part I have no issues updating everything right away.... that doesn't mean I update my kernel weakly with every single iteration either. I still have the choice to update what I want when I want. So when the odd oops this doesn't work right happens... I am not pissed and annoyed that updates broke my system, cause one I opted in and choose that update, and more important I know exactly what broke and revert it. I have run a few rolling distros for a few years now and have never had anything break that I couldn't simply revert... worst case I have to boot to a command prompt to do it, and never have I had my system down for more then 20 min or so tops. (that has been twice I think in a few years). If I wanted to be a bit more cautious I could simply update changes that are at least 2 weeks old at all times and never have an issue.

A rolling release that force updates.... its a bad combo. Yes I get that those updates are supposed to be tested in other channels... but they seem to be doing a pretty poor job of that frankly.

The fact is, when it comes to rolling releases, having the option to opt out of a certain release entirely is even more important as it's not uncommon for a rolling release to completely break compatibility with important software.

This no different from Windows. There are various branches with Windows also but within that branch you don't get to pick and choose updates and maintain compatibility in that branch. The difference with Windows is that consumers get pushed to the current branch. Which if they weren't, would lead to compatibility issues.

This is one area where I will defend Microsoft because it's no different, even from Linux.

The Enterprise edition of Windows and it's associated perks aren't worth mentioning in a forum where EE Editions of Windows are unavailable for most, therefore EE is a moot point.

You claimed that no one get's to pick and choose every update re: Linux and implied that running an older version of Linux breaks compatibility, this is simply untrue. Furthermore, it's not uncommon for the current branch of Windows to break compatibility with certain software packages as opposed to reducing compatibility issues re: Processors.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
True, but there are all sorts of implications to this approach. For instance, it's not HIPAA compliant.

Nothing's HIPAA compliant, that's all got to do with the sysadmin and how they configure the entire network. You can make Windows 10 Pro HIPAA compliant with great difficulty, whether it stays HIPAA compliant next major update is unlikely. That's not an issue under Linux.

Yep, or turn off updates when Windows 7 nags you to death to install now, noW, NOW! :D So yeah, there is a good bit of news in this, regardless.
umm no...
emerge -uNDv @world --complete-graph --with-bdeps=y --keep-going --verbose-conflicts -a --backtrack=30
coupled with /etc/portage/* to control what I don't want and what I want that has had limited testing.

True, but there are all sorts of implications to this approach. For instance, it's not HIPAA compliant.
WHAT??!?!

Um as someone who is in the healthcare industry this has got to be the worst comment ever. HIPAA compliance has NOTHING to do with mandatory updates. If your software meets those requirements then it's in compliance. PERIOD. Now if there's a security failure somewhere that would be a requirement. But just updating by itself? Nope.

Last edited:
Back