New processor... e8400, OC @ stock volt but CoreTemp reports HIGH idle?! Help!

veritas7

Gawd
Edit: Darkatom fixed my problem below. Just now curious about overclocking in my later post.

Bought an e8400 (coming from an Q6600, didn't really need quad cores and put it in a friends computer) and I think I have inaccurate temperatures or something's up.

I did everything like last time - primed/wiped down my chip and bottom of my Thermalright Ultima-90 (rid of old thermal paste) and then put on some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste on my e8400, size of a rice grain and spread it evenly. Then I put it in my motherboard, carefully placed the HS/F and then screwed it in.

Booted fine, decided to see what I could overclock on stock voltages. Overclocked at 9x 383 on stock voltage (edit: VID is 1.225V), and I'm seeing beforehand in BIOS at 9x 333 (3.0) that my processor temp is 29C.

Now, with that small overclock AND my fans going at 100% (since I still haven't edited my BIOS fan config since I reset it) my idle temps are being reported at 47C while in Windows, says CoreTemp.

What's up?! D:

e8400, Q814A batch
Gskill 2x2GB DDRII 1066 ram
Abit IP35 PRO v1.1, latest firmware
Windows SP2 32bit (still havent updated, sue me! :p)

Use "real temp" for 45nm chips. The tjucntion max is 95c for them not 105c. You'll see a 10 degree drop. Thats a good batch you got there btw.

Thanks for the program, everything's a little more clear now.

What's a good link/guide to overclocking? So far with my quad and this I've stayed on stock voltages and haven't gone beyond what I can boot in to Windows with on those.

Back