WD Easystore External Discussion

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought one and should arrive on Friday. I needed a big drive to conslidate all the family pictures and look for the duplicates.

I just got my 2 I ordered. They must have overnighted them as it was free shipping and got here quicker than my amazon order from the same day.

I'm thinking of using this for my Nvidia Shield. Not sure I want to shuck them and throw them in my NAS.

it's OOS now but bestbuy on ebay had the 8TB and then you could have used the 15% off via the app today making it ~$127

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-easystore-8TB-External-USB-3-0-Hard-Drive-Black-/202144917599

I think everyone else had the same idea hence the OOS

wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole but looks like seagate is also getting in to the 8TB "me too" pricing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322849154151
Wow the price keeps dropping, I might have to buy a second.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Welp, ended up with a WD80EZAZ, wouldn't power up in a Norco 4224 due to 3.3v, so I dug an Xacto knife into the end of pin3 on the drive and broke it off. 5 seconds, done.

Deliberated on buying Kayton tape and dicking with taping off pin3 for every additional drive I buy from now on, but the idea of counting on a piece of tape not to fall off as I move drives around frequently isn't something I have tolerance for.

Last edited:
Welp, ended up with a WD80EZAZ, wouldn't power up in a Norco 4224, so I dug an Xacto knife into the end of pin3 on the drive and broke it off. 5 seconds, done.

Deliberated on buying Kayton tape and dicking with taping off pin3 for every new subsequent drive I buy now, and no tolerance for tape falling off down the road as I move drives around.
And it still lives through that huh, good to know.

Last edited:
Welp, ended up with a WD80EZAZ, wouldn't power up in a Norco 4224 due to 3.3v, so I dug an Xacto knife into the end of pin3 on the drive and broke it off. 5 seconds, done.

Deliberated on buying Kayton tape and dicking with taping off pin3 for every additional drive I buy from now on, but the idea of counting on a piece of tape not to fall off as I move drives around frequently isn't something I have tolerance for.

They wont power up with my Norco box ss-400 either

Same for my Norco 4020, i just used painters tape and taped the 3 pins, now all good to go!

Winning!

Not trying to hijack the thread, but last night I went looking for these in my local Best buy and they were out. I ended up getting three of the 4TB version for $95 apiece. I shucked them all within about 15 minutes and inside were two white label drives and one Blue. I put the two white label drives in my HP Microserver. No tape or anything needed for the pins. I put the Blue back in the case and no one would be the wiser (going to keep it as a spare). Just wanted to give this info in case anyone is curious. It's no where near as good a deal as the 8TB, and if it's already been discussed, I apologize, but i don't feel like reading through 25 pages.

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but last night I went looking for these in my local Best buy and they were out. I ended up getting three of the 4TB version for $95 apiece. I shucked them all within about 15 minutes and inside were two white label drives and one Blue. I put the two white label drives in my HP Microserver. No tape or anything needed for the pins. I put the Blue back in the case and no one would be the wiser (going to keep it as a spare). Just wanted to give this info in case anyone is curious. It's no where near as good a deal as the 8TB, and if it's already been discussed, I apologize, but i don't feel like reading through 25 pages.

I got 4 when they switched to the new models at walmart for 39.99.

95, eeeh.

I got 4 when they switched to the new models at walmart for 39.99.

95, eeeh.

I am assuming 4 was all they had? Because I would have bought a lot more than that with that price.

I am assuming 4 was all they had? Because I would have bought a lot more than that with that price.

*frown* yes. I'm watching for other stuff to refresh. When it does i can post in here if ya'll want. I hate posting crap on slickdeals, that whole community is toxic as hell.

*frown* yes. I'm watching for other stuff to refresh. When it does i can post in here if ya'll want. I hate posting crap on slickdeals, that whole community is toxic as hell.

If something else like that came along, I would love to know about it, as I am about to expand my media server again.

Toxic or not, you will find amazing deals there. Been a member for over a decade. Back in the day there were much less sponsored threads. And not everything with certain brand names went front page.

That said, with fatwallet gone, you won't find many more sites as efficient as SD.

Toxic or not, you will find amazing deals there. Been a member for over a decade. Back in the day there were much less sponsored threads. And not everything with certain brand names went front page.

That said, with fatwallet gone, you won't find many more sites as efficient as SD.

It’s for the most part devolved into 99% people trying to do price protection fraudulently. Spent hours writing some store scrapers and when I post a deal it just gets crapped on by the price protection people. Bleh.

I see that everyone is removing the drive from the Easystore.
I could do likewise ... putting it in my desktop where it would be connected via SATA at 6 Gbps.

But I'm thinking about leaving it in its enclosure and connecting it via USB 3.0.

So, question: Will it perform as fast via external USB 3 compared to internal SATA???

I could do likewise ... putting it in my desktop where it would be connected via SATA at 6 Gbps.

But I'm thinking about leaving it in its enclosure and connecting it via USB 3.0.

So, question: Will it perform as fast via external USB 3 compared to internal SATA???

#metoo ;)

I believe USB 3 is slightly slower, but not sure it matters. I don't think a single drive can saturate USB3 or Sata3.

I believe most of us are tossing these into servers and NASs.

As a single drive, a non-saturated usb 3.0 controller shoudl easily be able to support it at full speed. If you buy 8 of these and connect them all to the same controller, you're goign to start running into issues with thoroughput. Remember these are mechanical drives, not ssds, they won't go anywhere near 3gbit never mind 6gbit.

Pretty standard price, and with Black Friday coming in 2 weeks, I wouldn't recommend buying them at that price AT ALL… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
best buy's black friday ad is all over the internet. these drives will not be on promotion.

best buy's black friday ad is all over the internet. these drives will not be on promotion.
Yes/no theres the weekly ads as well as the days to chrismas deals (which were the cheapest of the year in 2017)
To your point they're not directly in the current advertised BF deals though.

The WD 8TB external with a 3 year warranty is 159.99 on Amazon, same drive inside..

The 10TB helium will be $179.99

FYI, the WD Elements 8TB has been selling for $150 for months. The Best Buy deal this year is on the 10TB ($180).

Last edited:
FYI, the WD Elements 8TB has been selling for $150 for months. The Best Buy deal this year is on the 10TB ($180).

Where are are you guys seeing 10TB's for $180 at? Did a quick search and couldn't find any.

Back