WD Easystore External Discussion

Got my $130 version in yesterday and opened it up, got the WD80EMAZ. I had one of the good Molex to Sata cables laying around so I put it in and everything is working well. CrystalDiskInfo is reporting a power on count of 3, and I'm currently copying over my old storage drive (1.5TB WD green) to it. No complaints, though it's WAY more storage than I need.

It was online orders only for the $130 deal, but it went out of stock fast. Keep an eye out, but people also had some success price matching to the more expensive model in store.

Hopefully someone will have an idea of when (hope its not 3am EST) this will pop up so I can keep refreshing. I only need one for my HTPC and I can get started on digitizing my BR collection.

Also funny they have the same drive on the site for $200 or $300, confusing for your average buyer.

Hopefully someone will have an idea of when (hope its not 3am EST) this will pop up so I can keep refreshing. I only need one for my HTPC and I can get started on digitizing my BR collection.

Also funny they have the same drive on the site for $200 or $300, confusing for your average buyer.

Last year a lot of the prices started when the sale started. So thanksgiving evening.

I have both drive pages on my phone so I'll just start refreshing every few minutes after 5pm EST on the 24th and hope for the best.

I really should use my present 8 TB drive before i get another but such space at wow prices

I see some discussion off site that there are many possible varieties, including those without TLER compatibility or otherwise limited in features or different compared to official internal WD RED / HGST NAS drives? Given those 8TB versions that are currently available / Black Friday etc, if I pick one of these up should I expect the exact same firmware/features as the 8TB WD Red 256mb cache versions? Regarding power connections, I see some say they need an adapter. So the drives require a molex connector natively no matter which model, then? Does this mean that they would be unlikely to work in a hotswap/backplane type situation, or are there adapters that are low profile enough to allow it?

I see some discussion off site that there are many possible varieties, including those without TLER compatibility or otherwise limited in features or different compared to official internal WD RED / HGST NAS drives? Given those 8TB versions that are currently available / Black Friday etc, if I pick one of these up should I expect the exact same firmware/features as the 8TB WD Red 256mb cache versions? Regarding power connections, I see some say they need an adapter. So the drives require a molex connector natively no matter which model, then? Does this mean that they would be unlikely to work in a hotswap/backplane type situation, or are there adapters that are low profile enough to allow it?

that's a good question. I guess you could see if there is 3.3v on the SATA connector on the backplane. My backplane takes 2 molex connectors but I don't know if there is any circuitry that drops the 12 or 5v line to 3.3v.
IMG_0943.JPG

Does CC price matching work against Black Friday deals. How would you possibly have the CC be able to verify in stock?

Good luck there. Got a feeling it won't be that easy.

Sure it is. I've done it several years in a row. Price Rewind is a great benefit for card holders.

Does CC price matching work against Black Friday deals. How would you possibly have the CC be able to verify in stock?

I've used it before, plus there is nothing in their documentation that states they do not price match. They don't base it off of in stock or not. It will search websites and apply the difference.

From the documentation:
  • The lower price must be published on an online retail site or in a printed or online newspaper, magazine, store circular or catalog. Including special promotions such as Black Friday or door buster sales.

Ah, my card does price rewind too. I might give it a shot tonight! Can I pick up more than one on the same receipt? So, this will work even though this is a “Best Buy only” item and it isn’t found in the price rewind search?

Just got back from Best Buy with the last two in stock. I will hold off opening them in case the price rewind doesn’t work and I need to return them....

Can anyone who has a recent one of these please let me know the model number and if it has TLER support, if it requires molex power and/or just has the option for it (like some of my older drives have both a SATA power connector right next to the SATA data, but a Molex power further toward the end of the drive), backplane issues (I have an old Corsair 800D I'm considering keeping to house my server rebuild and it has a hotswap backplane;l actually bought the SATA III 6.0gbps upgraded backplane for it. But its well..older.) or any other ways it would differ from a standard WD Red OEM drive?

In addition, how do you guys think these stack up to the HGST NAS 4TB model that is also (recently?) on sale for Black Friday? Both in terms of value and performance? I'm to understand that aside from being 4TB, it may be 7200RPM and has 256MB Cache etc.. and I though I've heard HGST being a good brand these days, I'm not sure how it compares on features/reliability etc... to WD Red / WD Gold etc..

Ah, my card does price rewind too. I might give it a shot tonight! Can I pick up more than one on the same receipt? So, this will work even though this is a “Best Buy only” item and it isn’t found in the price rewind search?

Yes, it will work with multiple. Doesn't matter that it is Best Buy only(At least with my card, Citi). I just filled out two of them. I was able to submit my own price match that I found and didn't let it automatically search.

Can anyone who has a recent one of these please let me know the model number and if it has TLER support, if it requires molex power and/or just has the option for it (like some of my older drives have both a SATA power connector right next to the SATA data, but a Molex power further toward the end of the drive), backplane issues (I have an old Corsair 800D I'm considering keeping to house my server rebuild and it has a hotswap backplane;l actually bought the SATA III 6.0gbps upgraded backplane for it. But its well..older.) or any other ways it would differ from a standard WD Red OEM drive?

In addition, how do you guys think these stack up to the HGST NAS 4TB model that is also (recently?) on sale for Black Friday? Both in terms of value and performance? I'm to understand that aside from being 4TB, it may be 7200RPM and has 256MB Cache etc.. and I though I've heard HGST being a good brand these days, I'm not sure how it compares on features/reliability etc... to WD Red / WD Gold etc..

It all depends on what your Best Buy has in stock. My local Best Buy still has Red NAS drives. If you order online, it will mostly be a White Label, which is confirmed to have TLER support.

I got two of them with two seperate orders about half an hour ago. The website was being pounded so it wasnt allowing me to add them to cart about an hour ago... I was thinking they werent suppose to be live on the site yet myself.

I thought I was going to get away with not paying sales tax but I just received an email that they tacked on another ten bucks per drive for taxes.

Had to remove that stupid digital gift from my cart to get it to go through, sales tax didn't show up till I got the email but that was expected. +$10 but still a good deal. If you intend to put these inside your system don't go writing data to them thinking it'll be there when you plug the drive into your sata port - the controller encrypts the data when you use it as an external.

Got one after missing it the first time. Even though I was the one to post it...

Back