New Physical Network for Home Remodel - Simple Layout Help

John1701

Weaksauce
I am doing a total home remodel and I am near the point where I want to install some things for a physical network; add cable outlets, run ethernet etc. and I have some very basic questions and would also like opinions.

I want to have 2-3 ethernet outlets and then eventually 3-4 PoE Security Cameras.

Where should the other ends of the outlet ran cables (and I guess also the PoE cams) terminate? Into a switch, the router, or should it be a patch panel? I am kind of looking for the simple route and not really in having my own 'network lab', could I get by with just a switch?

My connections speed is 100Mbps, so any basic switch will be more than enough to handle the most available speed, correct?

Finally, would it be worth it to run Cat6 for the cable in planning for the future?

Thanks for the help.

Where should the other ends of the outlet ran cables (and I guess also the PoE cams) terminate? Into a switch, the router, or should it be a patch panel? I am kind of looking for the simple route and not really in having my own 'network lab', could I get by with just a switch?

1GbE PoE switches are cheap enough at the eight-port range.

My connections speed is 100Mbps, so any basic switch will be more than enough to handle the most available speed, correct?

Yes; though remember that the switch also needs to handle all in-network traffic too, but this isn't likely to be an issue for a typical home installation.

Finally, would it be worth it to run Cat6 for the cable in planning for the future?

CAT6 up to 55 meters and CAT6a up to 100 meters.

However, going above CAT5e is to support up to 10Gbps ethernet connections, which will only really be useful if you actually need >1Gbps between systems in different parts of the house. Still recommended but not likely to be useful anytime soon.

1GbE PoE switches are cheap enough at the eight-port range.

Yes; though remember that the switch also needs to handle all in-network traffic too, but this isn't likely to be an issue for a typical home installation.

CAT6 up to 55 meters and CAT6a up to 100 meters.

However, going above CAT5e is to support up to 10Gbps ethernet connections, which will only really be useful if you actually need >1Gbps between systems in different parts of the house. Still recommended but not likely to be useful anytime soon.

Great. Thanks for the answers.

For those hard to reach once the remodel is done locations, some kind of conduit will allow easier updates for future tech. Since it is all low voltage wire, Plex pipe would work.
For distances likely found in a single dwelling house, Cat 5E will carry 1gig speeds.
Consider where you might want WiFi AP and make runs to those locations.
I would run the wires to an easy to reach location with its own power outlet. Put any POE supply on a decent UPS so your cameras keep working during power outages.
Might have a run from where the ISP(s) mount on the outside wall to your central location. Avoid those ISP installed wires that run halfway around the outside of the house.
IMO - no need for a patch panel. Run straight to a switch. Just leave some extra cable in case you need to retip.
Can use one switch for security and a 2nd for normal data.

I'd recommend a patch-panel for cleanliness, yes you can get a way with just a switch, but it isn't as clean. I'd check out this video for why. I'm sure you already know what it is...but the video walks through a home-set up so don't be turned off by the title.

I'd recommend a patch-panel for cleanliness, yes you can get a way with just a switch, but it isn't as clean. I'd check out this video for why. I'm sure you already know what it is...but the video walks through a home-set up so don't be turned off by the title.

This and some of the other stuff on this channel is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

You can also get cheap older gen enterprise gear that will run circles arround residentioal gear.

Back