New phone under $600

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by Hikaru IchijoSL, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL Limp Gawd

I would like 6gb ram
    128gb of memory (64gb is it has a microsd slot)
    minimal bloatware
    6" screen
    at least 1080p

I am very tempted by the oneplus 6t.

Must have bands 12/66/71 (not necessary but I would like to have it.) I am on tmobile.

2. zpackrat

zpackrat Gawd

don't hesitate on the one+, they have been great since getting my 6 with updates. 2nd only to google devices. Plus excellent battery life. I regularly get 5-6 hours sot and the 6t is better!

3. Vermillion

Vermillion 2[H]4U

OnePlus 6T is your best bet. Awesome phone.

4. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

Can't seem to go wrong with the 6T. I'd buy one if I had to replace my Pixel 2 XL right now, even if price wasn't a factor.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  5. entropism

entropism 2[H]4U

S9+? I'm sellling one that's in flawless condition, and it'll be a decent amount under your $600 target. It's the AT&T model, but flashed with T-Mobile firmware. It's 100% functional on T-Mo, and gets OTA updates from T-Mo as well.

6. Tup3x

Tup3x [H]ard|Gawd

One Plus 6T. Avoid Samdung.

7. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

One Plus 6 to save a few bucks or 6T. Love my 5T minus a few BT issues

8. bastage

bastage Pics of your wife?

The only phone that meets what your looking for regardless of price is the 6t.. the only other phone with the ram and band 71 is full of bloat and well over budget.

9. mbakalski

mbakalski n00bie

Another vote for the 6T!

10. Sniper|3d-R|

Sniper|3d-R| [H]ardness Supreme

I still don't understand how people can justify spending so much on a phone... Crazy how much we spend on phones.

11. braamer

braamer [H]ard|Gawd

They are not really all that expensive when you consider the are basically ultra-portable computers that can also make phone calls.

12. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

the trend is crazy but if you break that cost out over a monthly basis over 2 years 500 to 600 is not much. I use my phone for alot of things. But these 1000$ are ridiculously. One plus occupies a good sweet spot. I just hope they don't go much higher as they are at the limit of what I feel is acceptable pricing.

13. Supersnake

Supersnake Gawd

While I agree that they are basically ultra-portable computers that can also make phone calls, one would have to embed more in their argument to justify spending that much on a phone, when there is an abundance of lesser priced phones that can perform those functions.

14. jegbus

jegbus n00bie

Lumia 640 owner here that hates high priced items of any sort that don't seem worth it. I am in the market for a new phone now but am waiting until I can catch the optimal deal (for me) before I pull the trigger. I got several of my phones on the cheap (under 65 as low as 35) and found them to be great devices. I missed a deal for bogo moto x4 that lasted a day although I'm not sure I regret missing even that.

What I really dislike is how phones are basically viewed as throw away devices after a year or two with no support or OS upgrade options after maybe 1 new OS version. Is tech really advancing that fast that we can't get the newest OS on our older phones? Then there is the bloatware and proprietary software. I hate it so much it turns me off when I think of upgrading.

When I look for a phone I want I have a difficult time trying to find a decent phone for a decent price. All I want is a great daily usage life for calls and texts and taking photos so I don't run out of juice, a GOOD camera that doesn't have much delay, and good/fast charging via usb type c or wireless. A few other minor things would be nice but not essential.

I like the fact that I can (or could) buy a computer that will (or would) last for 5+years and still be useful and enjoyable, and upgradeable/repairable. I'm not even sure if that's possible now for me with such high prices nowadays. It's no wonder they say the desktop PC is dying!

Phones though? I'll never understand why anyone would pay so much for a device that is expected to last for such a short time, with what amounts to planned obsolescence.

Supersnake likes this.
  15. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

i came from a iphoneo 7 to oneplus 6T. i love it!

16. stolikat

stolikat n00bie

I have an LG V30 that I bought in mint condition used for $220. It does every thing I could ask for and even has a built in DAC. I would never pay $1000 for a phone ever.

17. Aurelius

Aurelius 2[H]4U

The OS issue is a distinctly Android problem. iPhone users get four to five years of OS updates, and they don't have to wait several months to get releases after they're available on other devices.

As for pricing... well, there are certainly prices that are unreasonable for some people, but I look at it this way: your smartphone is probably the single most important device you own, more than your computer, TV or anything else. It's always with you; it can serve as a communications device, a compact camera, a navigator, a news device, a media player, a vital work tool and a game machine in your off-hours. If you want it to do well at many of those, why wouldn't you spend the money when you might appreciate the improvements every day?

I wouldn't spend $1K on an iPhone XS or Galaxy Note 9 unless you were an enthusiast (guilty!), but I can see the value in an iPhone XR or other more reasonably priced flagships.

18. jegbus

jegbus n00bie

LOL, well TV definitely not important in any way for me. I had an iphone at one time but I don't like itunes on my PC just for personal reasons. Maybe it has changed but when I had it with my 3gs I wasn't too impressed (limited use for me and wasted HD space back then). I like being able to plug in my device and open up file explorer to transfer whatever I need and work within folders that way without having another piece of software installed.

Gaming on phones holds no interest for me whatsoever. I've tried some but can't get into it, even a pc port like empire deluxe which I loved I just can't get into for whatever reason. Then again I'm feeling some taint with many PC games... Maybe I'm just losing interest all together in it.

I'm gonna have to agree it's the most important device for the reasons you say, and when you think of it in that way maybe it is worth it. I do get a phone allowance (albeit not a large amount) and I do need to take photo's for my job, so I've actually been raising my bar on price as I look for a new phone (obviously I need one with this old 640 that's been through hell). Still though I see phones for more than double what I paid at top price of 65 that really don't seem much better than what I have. every feature you mention has worked fine on my phone, and I certainly don't need a flagship. I'm positive I'll find one for around 200 that I'll like, especially when I catch a sale. Has to be a lean android though! Motorola or Google phones seem to be what I am finding.

19. Ripskin

Ripskin 2[H]4U

Loving my 5T and the leaks of the 7.

20. Hikaru IchijoSL

I bought a 6t which i really love it is so fast. I am happy I got it.

Tup3x and Vengance_01 like this.
  21. Aurelius

Aurelius 2[H]4U

Things have definitely changed. You haven't needed iTunes to set up or back up an iPhone for years. You can't use the PC file system to manually copy things over, but there's also a dramatically reduced incentive to do that in the first place (cloud services, streaming media, AirDrop if you have a Mac). I only plug my iPhone into my computer to charge and create local backups.

For a budget price, I'd go with a Moto G6 (there's rumors of a G7 soon, but no idea when that shows up -- maybe February at the earliest). Solid performance and camera quality for the money, and it's a relatively plain take on Android.

Supersnake and jegbus like this.
  22. Hikaru IchijoSL

All 6t owners I did something odd I put the sim in the 2nd slot instead of the 1st I am ok. I mean that I am not handicapping the phone. It is safe to move it and not have everything reset.

23. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

You can change it without resetting anything, you don't even have to turn the phone off or reboot it. At least that's how every other phone I've used works, so I would hope/assume the 6T would be fine hot-swapping the SIM card.

24. Hikaru IchijoSL

I think I will change it and hope all goes well.

25. jegbus

jegbus n00bie

Almost pulled the trigger on a G6 and saw an older Moto X (4th gen) for 150.00 apparently still new in the box, so I went with that instead.