New phone time on verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
So im 78% sure im going to get the droid incredible
my other thought was the samsung fascinate.

Any major things i should know before hand this will be my first truly smart phone...:D

My daughter has the Incredible and I have the Fascinate. Both are great phones and you wontregret either. The only downside is both phones are somewhat dated.

There's a new batch of 4G phones coming out starting in February. One is a Moto and the other from HTC. You might want to look into it before taking the plunge. Good luck.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Incredible, although I did NOT like how troublesome it was to sync with iTunes and all my media.
Ended up returning it to get the iPhone 4 (once it's available at Verizon) since I've picked up a MacBook and want to make sure it easily integrates with my setup.
I will say having come from an AT&T iPhone 3G to the Verizon HTC Incredible, I was amazed at the speed. Took some re-learning of how to do things, but overall a nice phone.
I much preferred the Incredible to my son's Fascinate.

have a fascinate here and loving it(my first smartphone)

like others have said the incredible is a great phone but it is dated. Its actually scheduled to be discontinued in march so i wouldn't go with it personally.

the droid X and the Droid 2 are also scheduled to be discontinued in march.

Verizon is discontinung the 15/month data plan at the end of the month. So I'm not going to wait for a new phone to show up some time in the next month or 2.

btw, of all the Android smartphones, the Samsung Fascinate has the most advanced and capable hardware

unfortunately VZW and Samsung are slower then Motorola about getting Android updated on Samsung phones, the Fascinate still runs Eclair 2.1 Froyo 2.2 is pretty close as all the sister phones have gotten or are getting it...its just a matter of time, then the Fascinate will really shine, but for now it's just a great smartphone instead of the best

it is also the closest thing to an iPhone but slimmer, more intense screen, better GPU and CPU, etc....

and the 5MP camera on it takes better pictures than the 8MP camera on the Droid X, the Fascinate camera is actually very very good and will record 720p video if im not mistaken

the $15 for 150Mb and $15 per 150Mb thereafter data plan was horseshit to begin with.....there's generally two types of data users, those who use none or next to none, and the 150Mb would be overkill, or those who rape it.....who use 4-5Gb a month like i do....in which case the $30 unlimited plan is best

who the heck wants to babysit their data usage.....nobody these days

Last edited:
they both do 720p if I remember right both have 1ghz processors and the samsung has crashed in every review I have seen.

Last edited:
did this happen today or yesterday? because i have a Fascinate, i know there are leaked builds floating around XDA and other sites, but an official VZW network push of 2.2 isnt out yet

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/25/fro...e-reportedly-leaked-being-cooked-up-as-a-rom/

crash? i've had one since release.....it doesnt crash...friend at work got one the same weekend, his doesnt crash either....and i ran mine hard...rooted and loaded custom kernel the first week and had it running 1.2Ghz and benchmarking the shit out of it...no crashes...and the Hummingbird architecture is superior to the Snapdragon of the DroidX, specifically the graphics GPU is faster/more capable, dont get caught up in the Megahurtz game like every other misinformed mobile phone buyer who buys the one with the biggest numbers like "8MP camera" and "4.3" screen"

humm seems i was wrong the fascinate is not on 2.2 still 2.1 when 2.3 is on the horizon... And i guess the reviews are older reviews.

Is there a good reason to not root and custom rom these other than it kills warrentees?

And i have Jail broken my ipod custom firmwared my psp and updated my lg versa's firmware from what i have read rooting and custom roming an android is no harder than any of the above...actually it seemed to be rather the same as jail breaking. Also i have turned a Pandigital novel android powered e-reader into a android powered tablet. Just waiting on the in progress 2.1 or 2.2 rom to get further along to load that.

Last edited:
I've had extensive use of both the Dinc and the Fascinate and I can tell you the following.

- the Fascinate is faster on 2.1 than a Dinc on 2.2.
- the Fascinate's camera blows away the camera on the Dinc.
- the Fascinate has the SAMOLED screen. The Dinc is now shipping with Sony's Super LCD screen.
- HTC's sense ui is more polished the Touchwiz.
- the Dinc suffers from poor battery life. My daughter needs to travel with her charger.

I believe the Motorola phone shipping next month will be a dual core device running Gingerbread (2.3). Lets not forget it will be an LTE device. If you're going to commit to a device for 1-2 years, you might want to be as current as possible.

already rooted and changed the kernel on my fascinate. there is already 2.2 out there in the wild, just not official or working great yet for the fascinate but it seems like it will be available VERY soon.

my girlfriend liked my phone so much she upgraded to one yesterday so she could jump on the $15/month data plan before it goes bye bye.

i upgraded to a certified pre-owned phone with my new every two for $20. my girlfriend was able to do it for $10 because verizon is having a web sale right now.

edit: http://www.fascinateforums.com/

decent little community there with lots of help available if you need it.

Last edited:
humm seems i was wrong the fascinate is not on 2.2 still 2.1 when 2.3 is on the horizon... And i guess the reviews are older reviews.

Is there a good reason to not root and custom rom these other than it kills warrentees?

And i have Jail broken my ipod custom firmwared my psp and updated my lg versa's firmware from what i have read rooting and custom roming an android is no harder than any of the above...actually it seemed to be rather the same as jail breaking. Also i have turned a Pandigital novel android powered e-reader into a android powered tablet. Just waiting on the in progress 2.1 or 2.2 rom to get further along to load that.

you dont have to void the warranty, it's extremely hard to brick these now, there's almost always a way to recover it to stock status,, same as original

i also think it will get 2.3......was a chance it would skip 2.2 at one time....not now

rooting just gives you total control over the filesystem and with that comes a ton of options not available to a non-rooted device such as roms, custom kernels, apps, etc.....

I've had extensive use of both the Dinc and the Fascinate and I can tell you the following.

- the Fascinate is faster on 2.1 than a Dinc on 2.2.
- the Fascinate's camera blows away the camera on the Dinc.
- the Fascinate has the SAMOLED screen. The Dinc is now shipping with Sony's Super LCD screen.
- HTC's sense ui is more polished the Touchwiz.
- the Dinc suffers from poor battery life. My daughter needs to travel with her charger.

I believe the Motorola phone shipping next month will be a dual core device running Gingerbread (2.3). Lets not forget it will be an LTE device. If you're going to commit to a device for 1-2 years, you might want to be as current as possible.

ill play devils advocate here, Touchwiz (Samsung UI) is less refined than Sense yes, but pretty much anyone in this thread will not be using the stock UI anyways so moot point

but the SAMOLED...i like it better, truth is the LCD on the DroidX has finer resolution because of the way the individual clusters of color pixels are less dense than on the LCD. its a drawback of the SAMOLED, some people claim text is sharper on the LCD. I cant really see much difference and the pure brightness and contrast and color depth of the SAMOLED far outweighs the imperceivable (to me) precision

My Fascinate needs a charge daily, every evening when i get home it goes on charger, that being said i use it all day with WiFi on streaming Pandora music at work, surfing web, and two email accounts atuo syncing all day......so i really use it hard

@nobody

Didn't know the X was part of the equation but good point. I read today that the DX2 is going to have a Retina display at release.

I too am rooted and not using TW. I am using the Blackhole 3.0 rom and loving it. I also use the paid version of Launcher Pro Plus for my UI. This phone is insanely fast. No regrets here.

humm seems i was wrong the fascinate is not on 2.2 still 2.1 when 2.3 is on the horizon...

I would expect Verizon to release 2.2 for the Fascinate soon since T-mobile's Vibrant just got 2.2 recently.

htc incredible now rooted running

redemption 2.3 with lou's #9 kernal

The Droid X is amazing. Once you get used to the 4.3 inch screen you'll never go back to a smaller size!

There's a new batch of 4G phones coming out starting in February. One is a Moto and the other from HTC. You might want to look into it before taking the plunge. Good luck.

Care to elaborate? I am month to month on VZW and I can wait a little bit for a new batch of phones but not for LTE phones if they are still on mid 2011 timetable.

The HTC Thunderbolt is tentatively slated for late February or early March. The LG and Samsung LTE phones which don't look that great are rumored for March. The Motorola Bionic is not supposed to come out until around June-ish.

@nobody

Didn't know the X was part of the equation but good point. I read today that the DX2 is going to have a Retina display at release.

I too am rooted and not using TW. I am using the Blackhole 3.0 rom and loving it. I also use the paid version of Launcher Pro Plus for my UI. This phone is insanely fast. No regrets here.

The DX2 is reported to have a resolution of 540 x 960 which isn't equal to Apple's retina display which is 640 x 960

they both do 720p if I remember right both have 1ghz processors and the samsung has crashed in every review I have seen.

The thing I hate about my Dinc's video camera is that although it says it's capable of recording at 720p it DOES NOT record at 30FPS. It drops frames all over the place and has an average FPS of around 18. Which is just impractical.

The HTC Thunderbolt is tentatively slated for late February or early March. The LG and Samsung LTE phones which don't look that great are rumored for March. The Motorola Bionic is not supposed to come out until around June-ish.

Thank you for the brief yet informative reply. I am pretty up on computer hardware/software and consider myself fairly able to master what I need to in that field. Phones scare me. They iterate so quickly that the remorse from computer upgrade probably pales. I need a smartphone, I know I am missing out on so much.

In that vain, I think that HTC Thunderbolt looks like a winner. Am I wrong or is that pretty much an EVO? I would like to wait for the Samsung but I just need to jump in the water. Thanks again.

iphone time baby.

Fuck the iphone. I may have wanted one back when they first came out but no screw apple and their phone too.

I am getting a bag of popcorn ready for the release to see if the phone or att's shitty network is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back