New Performance Mode Boosts Nintendo Switch Mobile Clocks by 25 Percent

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Digital Foundry has discovered that Nintendo Switch developers may have more to work with in the system’s portable mode. It was believed that the console’s GPU would run at 307.2MHz undocked, but a 25% increase to 384MHz can be achieved through some sort of boost mode. I would love to see how much this affects the Switch’s battery life, which is already nothing to brag about.

…we wonder whether Zelda uses the new mobile GPU clock mode - it closes the gap a little between handheld and docked GPU performance and combined with only a small leap in memory bandwidth, this may explain why the title renders at 720p on the go, but only 900p when docked. Beyond that, we also wonder whether using the 384MHz mode may come with compromises elsewhere in the system - perhaps by disabling WiFi (PS Vita also had multiple performance modes and one of them did turn off WiFi in order to repurpose the power budget). This is speculation of course, and as always, time will tell.

The Switch's battery capacity was expressly designed for the average commute to and from work + lunch hour. It does that with aplomb. The battery will last just fine for my 40min train journey + lunch hour each day.

It's not a kiddie toy, it's a 20-30-40 something console for people in work with cash to burn. Hence the commute based battery life. If you've tried mobile gaming on an Android handset the battery life of a Switch is massive step up (and you can still take a call because your phone won't be out of juice).

All things considered I think they hit a very, very good trade off between performance, size, battery life and weight. Whilst playing AAA titles with jaw dropping mobile gfx what the hell do people expect... a miracle? Many games aren't going to tax the GPU anywhere near as much as Breath of the Wind does anyway.

Jeez if you want a longer runtime buy one of the many usb-c portable battery packs.

Last edited:
The Switch's battery capacity was expressly designed for the average commute to and from work + lunch hour. It does that with aplomb. The battery will last just fine for my 40min train journey + lunch hour each day.

It's not a kiddie toy, it's a 20-30-40 something console for people in work with cash to burn. Hence the commute based battery life. If you've tried mobile gaming on an Android handset the battery life of a Switch is massive step up (and you can still take a call because your phone won't be out of juice).

All things considered I think they hit a very, very good trade off between performance, size, battery life and weight. Whilst playing AAA titles with jaw dropping mobile gfx what the hell do people expect... a miracle? Many games aren't going to tax the GPU anywhere near as much as Breath of the Wind does anyway.

Jeez if you want a longer runtime buy one of the many usb-c portable battery packs.

I'm fine with it beeing a portable, now let them make a home console which can do 1080p at 60 fps, oh wait there won't be any as this thing also has to make do for that usecase. It will probably be succesfull enough to warrant it's existence, but unless they drop the price by 50% and add a game or 2 I'm not buying.

As you can see from the video, the Switch is a, macho, macho man, I wanna be a macho man, machine.

If they are targeting our age group then why do all the new game releases look like they are aimed straight at 10 year olds? BoW looks like Nintendo has just straight given up on hiring graphics designers.

If they are targeting our age group then why do all the new game releases look like they are aimed straight at 10 year olds? BoW looks like Nintendo has just straight given up on hiring graphics designers.
From what I've read online from a few places that have review copies, even though reviews aren't out, ZBotW is a probably the hardest Zelda game to date.

From what I've read online from a few places that have review copies, even though reviews aren't out, ZBotW is a probably the hardest Zelda game to date.

That's not really saying much. Zelda has never exactly been a difficult game, not even Zelda 2. And there were plenty of extremely difficult NES games which were targeted towards children. I'd say higher difficulty is more in alignment with being for children, who have time to master it, than an adult audience whose time is limited, and just wants to move onto the next game.

So where do Nintendo's demographic strengths lie, especially where the DS is concerned? I'll be honest, I see far more kids with a DS, than people commuting to work.

Nintendo's saving grace is that it has a roster of 1st party games that evoke a sense of nostalgia.`

Hell, I'm playing Twilight Princess for the first time right now and the sounds effects bring me all the way back to 1992 when I played Link to the Past for the first time.

Unlike a good chunk of the detractors I actually don't care about 2nd party titles (unless they're exclusive I guess) because I can already play those on my PC.

Now, the Switch is fucked for a whole bunch of other reasons I won't get into, but I do want to play that new Zelda game.

Nintendo's saving grace is that it has a roster of 1st party games that evoke a sense of nostalgia.`

Nintendo's wave of nostalgia kills.
The_Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa.jpg

The WiiU didn't have a big Zelda title. The 3DS had a new Zelda game, but it was all re-releases/rehashes for WiiU. 'The Mario game' (3D World) was arguably not in the same lane as previous big adventure titles (64, Sunshine, Galaxy) and couldn't save it. So really, Nintendo going back to their old formula with Breath of the Wild and Odyssey will probably sell Switch consoles like shark fins.

Hey, that picture is on the fabric I have on the acoustic panels in my computer room! :D

nest3.jpg

In sure the game play is good, few aren't. I'm just tired of the lazy shitty art design. This is the worst looking LoZ since Windwaker. BotW looks like it was designed for the game cube.

What makes you say that? Price wise it is not really much different than a 3DS. Nor is it any different than any other console so it is priced with all the other "kid" toys.

Plus if you watch the videos they expect you to be playing this while on a flight, and while at a party, while practicing for a professional gaming match.....

As for most games not taxing the system. Only because no 3rd parry will ever make a game for the system.

In sure the game play is good, few aren't. I'm just tired of the lazy shitty art design. This is the worst looking LoZ since Windwaker. BotW looks like it was designed for the game cube.

Agreed, the game looks like utter shit. I liked the changes with twilight princess. but then Nintendo decided to listen to the 20% that didn't like the slow change toward more realistic and normal looking graphics and ignore the 80% that loved the change. And since then they have just rolled back more and more.

What makes you say that? Price wise it is not really much different than a 3DS. Nor is it any different than any other console so it is priced with all the other "kid" toys.

Plus if you watch the videos they expect you to be playing this while on a flight, and while at a party, while practicing for a professional gaming match.....

As for most games not taxing the system. Only because no 3rd parry will ever make a game for the system.

Agreed, the game looks like utter shit. I liked the changes with twilight princess. but then Nintendo decided to listen to the 20% that didn't like the slow change toward more realistic and normal looking graphics and ignore the 80% that loved the change. And since then they have just rolled back more and more.

Bingo...Twilight Princess was bar none the best looking LoZ.

Unfortunately as the new switch is starting to prove, Nintendo seems bent on catering to the minority instead of the majority. I really don't understand why they seem so determined to sabotage themselves. The WiiU was a complete failure and the reasons were obvious from the start. The Switch sounded like a step in the right direction, then they decided to cripple it with a bunch of obviously terrible decisions. I still want to buy a switch, but I'm having a harder and harder time sticking to that. I never thought I would see the day where I skipped buying 2 nintendo consoles in a row. Hell I never thought I would not buy every single one of them, but the WiiU ruined that.

Last edited:
where ninty also seems to get stuck is 3rd party games specially out side of japan. if it was like in the 90s where more than enough Japanese games were good enough to be translated( albeit poorly) and got usa/euro release but it seems that well has dried up for ninty.

it really needs to sort out its online store from which purchases can be migrated to each new console, and make dev tools either avilable for free or extremely cheaper than currently. rather than try a half hearted attempt to compete with sony and M$.

the switch could be success for them but rather than try an out right bold approach they are too stuck in the old was and desperately wana emulate the success of the wii. its not gona happen

Its funny how all the haters don't actually own a Wii U.

I still play Splatoon, I keep going back to Mario Kart 8 & Super Mario 3D World to this day. Currently playing through Lego City Undercover which is absolutely hilariously fantastic. Bayonetta 2 is also brilliant as is the Wonderful 101. Those games alone justify a Wii U purchase imho.

The Wii U is by far the most underrated Nintendo console considering it arguably has the best library of games of any Nintendo console ever.

The best selling Nintendo consoles have always suffered from way too much 3rd Party dross in the same way that PS1 & PS2 were plagued with libraries that the vast majority of was pure, utter, total crap. There's a hell of a lot less chance of being given a shit Wii U game as a present than a ps/xbox owner (there's no denying there's total shit for the Wii U too though).

I've never cared about most 3rd party games on any Nintendo system (with very few publishers excepted, e.g. Capcom & Konami). It's the 1st Party games library that make any Nintendo console. I prefer quality over quantity any day, that's exactly why although the Wii U was a total failure in the market I rate it the highest in game quality stakes.

Wii U, SNES, GC, NES, Wii is the order I'd put their libraries.

I kinda hope the Switch doesn't do too well in the market to keep the average library quality as high as possible just as what happened with the Wii U.

The best of the Wii U library will all be ported to Switch, The true classics will finally get the recognition they rightfully deserve..... After all Breath of the Wind is a Wii U title (and I like the beautiful Cell Shaded artwork style so :p).

Last edited:
Why would we? For at best five games? I'm currently enjoying the limited Wii-U lineup through CEMU, and honestly it isn't much to talk about.

I kinda hope the Switch doesn't do too well in the market to keep the average library quality as high as possible just as what happened with the Wii U.

And with talk like this I just can't take you seriously
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software
In the last six months the Wii-U has been graced with .... shovelware after shovelware, ports, and a lackluster (75/100) Paper Mario Sequel. Extend it out to a year and you've got more ports and shovelware... and a poor (69/100) Starfox game.

I personally hope when (emphasis because they will) Nintendo makes a revised switch they make the portable one have a longer battery and also make a non-screen home console version that is significantly cheaper.

And on the subject of cheaper, they are smoking crack if they think I'm gonna pay $80 for a second controller set. The DS4 is already ridiculous as it is at ~$50.

thingi I don't know what you smoke, but I need some of that.

As someone who has owned a WiiU, the 1st party support - brilliant. 3rd Party... *shrugs*. The consoles after N64 just felt like you were buying the priviledge of playing ALWAYS polished first title games *cough* Bethesda *cough*. I only dusted off my Wii U to play Smash Brothers & Mario Kart. I didn't care for Splatoon and Super Mario 3D.

Like most of us, I really just feel like the Switch is a console with no real idea what it wants to be when it grows up.

I still play Splatoon, I keep going back to Mario Kart 8 & Super Mario 3D World to this day. Currently playing through Lego City Undercover which is absolutely hilariously fantastic. Bayonetta 2 is also brilliant as is the Wonderful 101. Those games alone justify a Wii U purchase imho.

The Wii U is by far the most underrated Nintendo console considering it arguably has the best library of games of any Nintendo console ever.

The best selling Nintendo consoles have always suffered from way too much 3rd Party dross in the same way that PS1 & PS2 were plagued with libraries that the vast majority of was pure, utter, total crap. There's a hell of a lot less chance of being given a shit Wii U game as a present than a ps/xbox owner (there's no denying there's total shit for the Wii U too though).

I've never cared about most 3rd party games on any Nintendo system (with very few publishers excepted, e.g. Capcom & Konami). It's the 1st Party games library that make any Nintendo console. I prefer quality over quantity any day, that's exactly why although the Wii U was a total failure in the market I rate it the highest in game quality stakes.

The best of the Wii U library will all be ported to Switch, The true classics will finally get the recognition they rightfully deserve..... After all Breath of the Wind is a Wii U title (and I like the beautiful Cell Shaded artwork style so :p).

This x Infinity

Can't wait to add the Switch into my High End PC & Wii U mix!

thingi I don't know what you smoke, but I need some of that.

Like most of us, I really just feel like the Switch is a console with no real idea what it wants to be when it grows up.

hehe I should hook you up lolz ;)

I'm of the same opinion, it doesn't really have an idea of what it wants to be yet, it'll sink fast or be a massive hit. The major releases for it so far are just ports from Wii U (Splatoon 2 does look significantly improved via better match making etc). I'm holding off till Summer and hopefully they'll be a Splatoon 2 pack with different coloured (splatoon based) JoyCons and maybe save a buck or two compared to launch price (not really hopeful of a 3DS type price drop though).

I don't really know where to begin in this, so I'll just start with the games.

1) Splatoon - Good game good reviews, but not enough to justify an overpriced, underpowered console crippled with a terrible controller.
2) Mario Kart - It is unfortunate I missed it, but it is 1 mario kart in a long line of Mario Karts that I've spent an insane number of hours on. It was the one game that got played religiously on my Wii.
3) Super Mario 3d world - Meh, its mario. Good series but honestly missing one out of the billion revisions isn't the end of the world.
4) Lego - On all platforms so we can remove this off the list.
5) Bayonetta 2 - As someone who enjoyed the first..No, I really don't care about the kiddified version.
6) Wonderful 101 - LOL ok.

Not a very compelling list to justify a $300 console. Further saying this pathetic list makes it one of the best nintendo Libraries? Holy shit you are high as fuck dude. Have you actually played anything older than the Wii? Or was that your first and you just can't comprehend why the older titles were so rated because (graphics)? Seriously that is one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in respect to console libraries. This entire post is one of the most deluded fanboy written pieces of garbage I think I've ever read. If the small handful of titles you listed ignoring the multiplatform ones actually justified the piece of garbage that was the WiiU, It wouldn't have failed miserably as a console.

The system isn't underrated it is shit. There is a massive difference. Some of you just try WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to hard to defend it. I am a console gamer first, PC gamer second. Because I prefer to game from my couch. Which I can do now from my PC. But it is much easier to just turn on a controller and have that turn on my console and be able to do everything with that instead of having to turn on the pc, then use a mouse and keyboard to launch a game... I want to be lazy and be able to change between games faster. I also am one of the nut jobs that waited in line 24 hours for a Wii. I found it enjoyable for the games that it had. But the Wii U.... You had nothing really new. Super Mario 3D world from the 3DS remade for the home console, just like NEW Super Mario Bros. They are ok games but nothing to be really excited about. While Mario Kart is fun I have all the games from the SNES up to Wii. So I have gotten a little tired of them. There is no Zelda game, no new Metroid game. So two of their best series never made it to the system. They didn't make any new Mario games but just rereleased old games as new on the system. So it had the weakest line up of any system. Although the fact that the PS2 was the best and longest selling console in history and you think it has nothing but shit games show that we really shouldn't think that you know what you are talking about. Saying that the NES and the Wii were the worst consoles also proves that. You can't suffer from too much 3rd party games. You need 3rd party games in order to make money and be a successful company. That is like saying that a story that actually sells items is shit but the one that only sells 1 item a month is the best one out there because they don't sell out and have what people actually want.

In all... I would say lay off the drugs.

Have you actually played anything older than the Wii? Or was that your first and you just can't comprehend why the older titles were so rated because (graphics)? Seriously that is one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in respect to console libraries. This entire post is one of the most deluded fanboy written pieces of garbage I think I've ever read. If the small handful of titles you listed ignoring the multiplatform ones actually justified the piece of garbage that was the WiiU, It wouldn't have failed miserably as a console.

Here's my home console list in order of purchase (although I have sold and re-bought multiple consoles in the list)

Atari 2600 (UK)
Sega Mastersystem (UK)
Megadrive (imported from Hong Kong)
PC Engine (Japanese import)
SNES (imported from Hong Kong)
NeoGeo (Japanese Import)
Dreamcast (UK)
PS1 (Japanese Import)
Gamecube (Japanese Import)
PS2 (UK)
xbox (UK)
xbox 360 (UK)
Wii (UK)
Wii U (UK)

So I ain't no fanboi (Slightly strange I didn't get an N64, but played GoldenEye and Mario64 to death on my housemate's N64 at Uni instead of being in CompSci lectures).

1) Wii MarioKart is the WEAKEST of all the Mario Kart games. The best is Mario Kart 8 followed by the original SNES version and then the Gameboy Advance version PERIOD.
2) Best 3D Mario Platformer = Super Mario 3D World (I also really liked Sunshine but that is a very contentious opinion).
3) Lego City Undercover = Was a Wii U only title (and still is till a bit later this year).
4) Bayonetta 2, there's NOTHING kiddified about it, if you liked the first you've missed out on a stonking sequel.
5) Wonderful 101 is really, really good, odd controls at first but still very cool.

Now go back to your cave unless you want to leave your insults behind and have a conversation.

Last edited:
Here's my home console list in order of purchase (although I have sold and re-bought multiple consoles in the list)

Atari 2600 (UK)
Sega Mastersystem (UK)
Megadrive (imported from Hong Kong)
PC Engine (Japanese import)
SNES (imported from Hong Kong)
NeoGeo (Japanese Import)
Dreamcast (UK)
PS1 (Japanese Import)
Gamecube (Japanese Import)
PS2 (UK)
xbox (UK)
xbox 360 (UK)
Wii (UK)
Wii U (UK)

So I ain't no fanboi (Slightly strange I didn't get an N64, but played GoldenEye and Mario64 to death on my housemate's N64 at Uni instead of being in CompSci lectures).

1) Wii MarioKart is the WEAKEST of all the Mario Kart games. The best is Mario Kart 8 followed by the original SNES version and then the Gameboy Advance version PERIOD.
2) Best Mario Platformer = Super Mario 3d World
3) Lego City Undercover = Was a Wii U only title (and still is till a bit later this year).
4) Bayonetta 2, there's NOTHING kiddified about it, if you liked the first you've missed out on a stonking sequel.
5) Wonderful 101 is really, really good, odd controls at first but still very cool.

Now go back to your cave

Even IF what you claim was true, 5 games does not make the WiiU's lineup one of the best by a long shot. Try exaggerating less. The WiiU's lineup was bar none one of if not the weakest lineup for any nintendo console and easily one of the worst for all consoles since it became the Big 3.

Even IF what you claim was true, 5 games does not make the WiiU's lineup one of the best by a long shot. Try exaggerating less. The WiiU's lineup was bar none one of if not the weakest lineup for any nintendo console and easily one of the worst for all consoles since it became the Big 3.

What exactly is weak about this line up?

Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Nintendoland
Mariokart 8
The Wonderful 101
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Paper Mario Color Splash
Both Zelda Remasters
Zombi U (admittedly not a 1st Party title but hugely underrated and BLODDY HARD too).

Most of the games on the list are the pinnacle of their respective series.

Then there's all the eshop stuff (e.g. little inferno etc). With quality like this it's easy for me to recommend a Wii U. Plus it runs virtually all of my previous library of Nintendo games via Wii support & The Homebrew Channel for older emulation apps + Nintendont. Plus the Wii U controller is one of the most comfortable out there on any system.

What exactly is weak about this line up?

Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Nintendoland
Mariokart 8
The Wonderful 101
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Paper Mario Color Splash
Both Zelda Remasters
Zombi U (admittedly not a 1st Party title but hugely underrated and BLODDY HARD too).

Most of the games on the list are the pinnacle of their respective series.

Then there's all the eshop stuff (e.g. little inferno etc). With quality like this it's easy for me to recommend a Wii U. Plus it runs virtually all of my previous library of Nintendo games via Wii support & The Homebrew Channel for older emulation apps + Nintendont. Plus the Wii U controller is one of the most comfortable out there on any system.

ROFL, whatever bud. Even the final sentence is just laughably absurd. The single thing that basically sunk the entire console. LOL...dear god this is rich.

ROFL, whatever bud. Even the final sentence is just laughably absurd. The single thing that basically sunk the entire console. LOL...dear god this is rich.

come on, be nice and don't try to fuck with his drugged up state too much. Let him stay in his drug induced reality a little longer.

Do you own or have owned a wii u? If not please just stfu. I don't own a Playstation 4 but I won't say how shit that console is.

There's one final point in owning a Wii U... I can use CEMU quasi legally (along with using emulation of older systems on my Wii U).

I've don't pirate anything. I still have the real physical copies of the games I play in 4K via CEMU and Dolphin. You have to give Nintendo props for their texture quality even on hardware limited systems. Wii U MarioKart in 4K is simply stunning on 1.7.2 at 60 fps on my rig.

Admittedily most other Wii U games have still got a long way to go via CEMU but I can't break the law (in my line of work I can't afford to get caught doing that or I'd never work again).

Do you own or have owned a wii u? If not please just stfu. I don't own a Playstation 4 but I won't say how shit that console is.

Don't need to own one, terrible argument with no basis in reality.

Don't need to own one, terrible argument with no basis in reality.

So you have no basis for your garbage ass arguments. Sorry if you live in some reality where your word is gold. That reality is not here.

So you have no basis for your garbage ass arguments. Sorry if you live in some reality where your word is gold. That reality is not here.

Plenty of basis, it is called doing research. Apparently you haven't heard of this little thing we call the internet or getting your hands on something to try it out for yourself. It is amazing that we live in the information age and people still have this delusion that if you didn't buy something there is no possible way for you to have a valid opinion. Welcome to the 21st century, you might want to get up to speed a bit faster.

The problem with your logic is that you are ignoring reality. I can't make a cell phone from scratch but I can say with certainty that the Galaxy Note 7 was a failure of a phone and was unsafe to use. I can't make a car from scratch but if a car was made that all the doors fell off when going at high way speed I could say that car is shit. Even though I can't sing I still know when a person is a bad singer.

Not owning a Wii U doesn't mean that you are not able to tell that the system wasn't as good as previous systems. The sales numbers prove that. I personally don't own a Wii U. But I know that it wasn't as good as the previous generations because I have seen the units sold and I have played one at somebody else's house. I have watched them not release the game quality and amount of games they have released in the past. I waited in line 24 hours to get a Wii when they were released. I picked up a few games over the years but sat there unable to play games on it because very few good games were released. So I ended up having to go out and getting a 360 to take care of my console gaming desires. The Wii had two 3D Mario games, two Legend of Zelda games and two Metroid games. The Wii U had no Metroid games, no Zelda games (now there is one pending release), and only one 3D Mario game which was a sequel to the 3DS game and then the New Super Mario Bros U. So with the lack of the major series being released and no 3rd party support it was very simple to decide not to buy a Wii U.

As for your comment about not saying that the PS4 is shit. If you did try to say that you would be talking out your ass. I don't care for Sony. I haven't owned a PlayStation since the PS2, but the PS4 is not shit. It is the leader so far this generation. Which if the last generation shows us anything at some point everything comes full circle. At first the 360 was far ahead but then after awhile most people purchased both systems and by the end their numbers were about even. This time I would expect to see the gap close more as both systems come down in price and people get both a PS4 and Xbox One. Or with the release of the new Xbox this year expect to see people jump to it for a cheap 4K Blu-ray player that can also do 4K gaming. Which is what helped the PS3, it was a cheap Blu-ray player that also allowed you to play games so it sold very well. When looking at console gaming both the Xbox and PlayStation are doing well. So any bashing of the PS4 really would be based on zero facts and just be garbage ass arguments as you put it. However when it comes to the Wii U. There is plenty of proof it wasn't as good of a console just based on the number of units sold, the lack of 3rd party support and the lack of most of their major franchises making their way to the system like they did in years past.

Back