New PC, new proccesor. (AMD NoOb)

{bmf}CrackSmoke

Limp Gawd
Hey all, sry if you've herd a question like this before but I always used Intel so I dont know better. Im getting a new comp and Im lloking to make the switch to AMD. I purchased the x2 4800 as my weapon of gaming choice. Did I do well? What would that amount to clock speed wise? Thanks for any help!

wait.. you got the cpu without knowing the specs on it?

X2 4800+ = dual core, 2.4ghz, 1mb cache per core

it's.. the fastest X2 there is right now. it's too late for me to tell you that it's not worth the money, saldy :(

dude u meseed up big time that chips crap send to me lol no i also went from intel to amd recently i love it and only had it for less than a day

(cf)Eclipse said:
wait.. you got the cpu without knowing the specs on it?

X2 4800+ = dual core, 2.4ghz, 1mb cache per core

it's.. the fastest X2 there is right now. it's too late for me to tell you that it's not worth the money, saldy :(

Well, yes and no. I mean, they are overpriced (like everyone's fastest CPU always is). But the x2 4800+ is a pretty awesome processor. It is like having two 4000+ processors on 1 chip, and each one is faster than any current Intel CPU at gaming.

The only downside is that games (at least right now) can only use one of those processors, so as far as current games go you basically bought a 4000+ for more money, and an FX-57 would be faster at gaming.

But still, the x2 4800+ is the all-around most powerful desktop processor in existence at the moment. It's not like the guy bought a turd or something. :)

CastleBravo said:
But still, the x2 4800+ is the all-around most powerful desktop processor in existence at the moment. It's not like the guy bought a turd or something. :)
agreed. just. not cost effective :p

Well thanks for all the info guys, I havn't exaclty bought it yet so if there is a better option please let me know. Money is not an issue, gimme the best!

Price is no object, exclusively for gaming, the FX-57 simply can't be beat.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456&p=6

All-around best CPU (still better at gaming than all Intel products, plus better at almost everything else too) is the x2 4800+. Again, that's "price no object," not "best value").

The x2 4600+ has almost identical performance to the x2 4800+ in actual use (just like the 4000+ isn't much faster than the 3800+ most of the time..), but is almost $200 cheaper. Best value in an x2 might be to get an x2 4400+ and overclock it, since it is the cheapest with the 2x1 MB cache, and it is about $150 cheaper than the x2 4600+, and less than a $100 markup over the x2 4200+.

CastleBravo said:

All-around best CPU (still better at gaming than all Intel products, plus better at almost everything else too) is the x2 4800+. Again, that's "price no object," not "best value").

The x2 4600+ has almost identical performance to the x2 4800+ in actual use (just like the 4000+ isn't much faster than the 3800+ most of the time..), but is almost $200 cheaper. Best value in an x2 might be to get an x2 4400+ and overclock it, since it is the cheapest with the 2x1 MB cache, and it is about $150 cheaper than the x2 4600+, and less than a $100 markup over the x2 4200+.

Good link, and great advice.

Well here are the specs on my new comp,

Athlon64 FX-57
2Gb Kingston Hyper-X High Proformance Memory
2x Nvidia 7800Gtx
2x Maxtor 7200rpm 250gb HDs
2x Double layer optical drives (16x DVD-R(W), 48x CD-Rom(R)(RW)
17inch Flat Screen LCD
7.1 Creative Surround Sound System
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platnum...blah.....blah
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Setup

Around $3,800. What do you all think?

why not get an xfi sound card or whatever those are called, i listened to my friends its nice. what mobo are you getting?

CastleBravo said:

That's a comparison of single core processors however, no dual cores. An FX-57 may the best at gaming, however if you OC an X2 4800+ to 2.8ghz, you'll have essentially the same performance as an FX-57, with a second core for multitasking, or when just gaming, for loading all processes other than the game onto. This might only give a 5% boost in gaming, but it will also allow heavy multitasking. For example, ripping/compressing a dvd with one core, and still being able to game on the other.

RavenD said:
That's a comparison of single core processors however, no dual cores. An FX-57 may the best at gaming, however if you OC an X2 4800+ to 2.8ghz, you'll have essentially the same performance as an FX-57, with a second core for multitasking, or when just gaming, for loading all processes other than the game onto. This might only give a 5% boost in gaming, but it will also allow heavy multitasking. For example, ripping/compressing a dvd with one core, and still being able to game on the other.

why do people say that a proccessor is just as good as another when you can oc to its STOCK level?

you can oc a FX-57 way beyond anything the 4800+ could dream of reaching. a 4800 will never reach the levels of what a FX-57 can do in single threading or gaming, atleast not until dual core games come out.

if youre going to compair 2 cpus compair stock to stock and oc to oc

yet the one thing about that link is all tests were at 1024x786

if youre going to buy a FX-57 you wont be running at that res. but rather in the 1600x1200 range. that test is all but worthless for real world performance comparisons.

i would go to the Crucial Ballistix or the new OCZ PC4000 kit for the memory, if price is no object... And go ahead and throw in 2 74GB Raptors in RAID, if not get one Raptor to run your OS off of and a big SATA HD to store all your stuff. You are also forgetting a very important part of the system, the Power Supply. With that kind of a system, look to PC Power & Cooling or an OCZ Powerstream at least. Those SLI'ed 7800GTX's will suck power like no other! The 17" LCD if i were you i would get a 19" instead. Some of the newer 19's have very nice specs even when compared to a sweet 17". Ive seen a few of em in person and it makes me depressed when i look at my Samsung 172X now... And even thought the FX57 will give you the most FPS today, upcoming titles are going to support dual processor/dual core soon and will take advantage of it big time. Honestly you will see little to no difference when gaming between the FX57 and the 4800 X2, but with the X2 it will take you alot farther in my opinion. If it makes you feel better you can OC it mildly to 2600 rather painlessly too. I would get the 4800 X2 hands down over the FX57.

Budwise said:
i would go to the Crucial Ballistix or the new OCZ PC4000 kit for the memory, if price is no object... And go ahead and throw in 2 74GB Raptors in RAID, if not get one Raptor to run your OS off of and a big SATA HD to store all your stuff. You are also forgetting a very important part of the system, the Power Supply. With that kind of a system, look to PC Power & Cooling or an OCZ Powerstream at least. Those SLI'ed 7800GTX's will suck power like no other! The 17" LCD if i were you i would get a 19" instead. Some of the newer 19's have very nice specs even when compared to a sweet 17". Ive seen a few of em in person and it makes me depressed when i look at my Samsung 172X now...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703001

i would get nothing less for that system

Don't worry about the Power supply, I got the best( well most expensive) on the market I could find. As for the moniter I got the 19 instead (thnx for advice). As for the mobo I dont really feel like listing the whole discription so if you can tell me what you want to know about it I would be morer than happy.

here's what you need to do. give me that chip, and i'll send you my 3700+ because its a lot better for your case.

are you going to overclock? If you plan to OC i would suggest a DFI NForce 4 SLI board. If you dont plan to overclock i would suggest the MSI Nforce 4 SLI.

Budwise said:
If you dont plan to overclock i would suggest the MSI Nforce 4 SLI.
as much as i love msi.. i'm inclined to dissagree. epox makes a killer nf4 board, though i think msi has em beat on features. now i don't know again. whatever! :p

also.. for ram. 4x512mb is a no-no. 2x1gb crucial ballistix = good plan.

Something slower than an FX-57 may, or may not, overclock up to its level... good overclocks are NOT guaranteed, no matter what hardware you use. And, of course, the FX-57 is itself a great overclocker, and will likely overclock way past what a cheaper processor can do.

{bmf}CrackSmoke said:
Well here are the specs on my new comp,

Athlon64 FX-57
2Gb Kingston Hyper-X High Proformance Memory
2x Nvidia 7800Gtx
2x Maxtor 7200rpm 250gb HDs
2x Double layer optical drives (16x DVD-R(W), 48x CD-Rom(R)(RW)
17inch Flat Screen LCD
7.1 Creative Surround Sound System
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platnum...blah.....blah
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Setup

Around $3,800. What do you all think?
I can't resist making the following comment, based on your username. Don't take it personally. ;)

Boy, you must be smoking crack if you're getting $1k of video cards yet are pinching pennies by getting a puny 17" monitor. Like someone else said, get a Dell 2405FPW (24" LCD) monitor, which can be had for < $800 when a deal is available (+ tax).

BTW, that Kingston memory is totally not worth it.

i wasnt pinching pennies on the moniter i heard from someone that the 17incher that i was getting had better quality than the existing 21inchers on teh market as of PC purchase. If im wrong please tell me now i wont take it personnaly. As for the memory not being worth it, how do you mean? If moneys not the issue, why should i not get the better memory. Write back

get the dell 24" ultrasharp widescreen and

Ram: OCZ PC4000 Plat 2x 1gb would be better. or Crucial Ballistix 2x 1gb PC3200

{bmf}CrackSmoke said:
i wasnt pinching pennies on the moniter i heard from someone that the 17incher that i was getting had better quality than the existing 21inchers on teh market as of PC purchase. If im wrong please tell me now i wont take it personnaly. As for the memory not being worth it, how do you mean? If moneys not the issue, why should i not get the better memory. Write back
Re: the monitor, at least get a 20" LCD so that you can run 1600 x 1200 natively (or 1680 x 1080 or whatever it is if you go wide screen).

Re: the memory, click on the link that I provided in my previous post and you'll see that it did poorly compared to other high end 2 x 1 GB RAM.

Back