New PC microphone for gaming

Docnoq

n00b
I am in the market for a new microphone to use for Vent/gaming. I have been using a cheap Logitech headset for the past few years and the mic has finally started to die. I would prefer to not replace it with another headset because I really only need a microphone. I have a set of Logitech Z5300s that I use for my sound, so I never really used the headphones on my old headset. I basically wrapped the headset around my neck just to use the mic.

I have seen the Zalman clip-on mic get a lot of recommendations here and other places, but my main concern is that it will not cancel out my speaker noise. Other people seem to be pairing it with a set of headphones so there is not a lot of background noise. I, however, like to have my speakers turned up quite loud at times. My cheap Logitech headset canceled out the noise quite well as none of my friends were ever able to hear my speakers in the background.

If the Zalman will not do what I want it to do, what are some other alternatives for stand-alone mics? And, if there are no good stand-alone mics with noise-cancellation, can anyone recommend a cheap headset with a good microphone? I would like to keep this under $30.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got one myself a couple of days ago. No noise cancellation. With mic boost off and it lying in front of me on my table, it picks up nothing. With it on, it catches my speakers completely which are above it on a separate level with my monitor.

The clip itself on the Zalman is designed to be on a cord as well, so it does seem as if it's meant to be paired with a set of headphones that have no mic rather than say, clipping it to a shirt.

You'll want to be clever with the Zalman clip and attaching to yourself if you aren't getting dedicated headphones, otherwise the cheap $10 headset route just for a mic is one you will have to follow again (I've done it myself). Those mics on stands are wothless - don't go that route. I've tried several (3-4 at least) and they were all terrible.

That's what I was thinking would happen with the Zalman. I must say I am kind of disappointed that there are no decent stand-alone microphones in this day and age. Perhaps I will take a trip to Wal-Mart later and pick up another cheap headset.

Before I do that, however, does anyone have recommendations for a cheap headset with a good mic?

I used the zalman for a couple of days but it was extremely quiet, when it was in a pc, i was able to tweak vent enough to make it bareable but i also use the same headset for console gaming on the 360, it was pretty much unusable on the xbox, it was far too quiet and even with it attached to my audio technica cans i had to speak very loud and everyone still said that they could barely hear me. I purchased a labtec headset for 4 bucks off of amazon and took the mic off and attached it to my headset via velcro and it works 1000x better. (i left the rotating mechanisim on the mic so it will still swivel up and down just like a factory headset.)

Back