New PC Build (Replacing 10+year old quadcore build)

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

This PC will be used for the following (Gaming: WoW, SC2, Overwatch, and any modern games I haven't been able to play due to my old machine), Grad School work, Basic Web Browsing/Internet use and work related functions, video editing, and possibly pro-tools (home recording/mixing)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$1000 - $1300

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA (Miami, FL)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU: I'm open for suggestions.

RAM:
As much as possible without breaking the bank.

CASE: I'd like something that would allow a lot of cooling. I Live in Miami the room my current PC is in can get hot. I do not want liquid cooled. A good air cooled case will do.

Video Card: I am a gamer, but I can't break the bank on this one. So recommend a good card not the latest and greatest which tend to be higher in price.

Mother Board: I will need a new one.

PSU: I will need a new one, it will have to handle all the components and any extra fans I add to my case.

Heatsink and Fan: I'll need something that will adequately cook the CPU. I've seen some new systems that are like
radiators (fan connected to two hoses running to CPU) are those any good? Also, dust tends to accumulate near the are of the PC. i clean often but it can be a pain if there's anything out there similar to the (radiator) that can prevent dust build up on sink please suggest.

Soundcard: I listen to a lot of music and play video games on my PC. I've always run a Soundblaster gaming card of some sort. If this is not needed or if I can reuse my Fatality card. please recommend a new one or should I keep current?

BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter

Harddrive(s):
I currently have a 150GB SSD (for my OS) and 500GB (HDD) as my storage drive. I'd like something similar with an SSD for my OS and another HD for my other programs. However I've been out of the game for ever, so if one single SSD is large enough and cheap enough to do what I need it to do I'll go with that.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I am reusing my keyboard/mouse and my Monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 245bw)

6) Will you be overclocking?

No, not interested.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Samsung SyncMaster 245bw
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) 22 in x 9.8 in x 17.5 in.
  • Display Type. LCD monitor / TFT active matrix.
  • Aspect Ratio. Widescreen - 16:10.
  • Native Resolution. 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz.
  • Contrast Ratio. 1000:1 / 3000:1 (dynamic)
  • Color Support. 16.7 million colors.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

This is tough one, one firewire will do, USB 3.0's would be nice. I don't need onboard video, onboard sound is a maybe see soundcard under #4.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I have WIN 7 64bit Builders Ed. I'll need a new one. I'm not very familiar with the new WIN platforms. I do have 10 on my Laptop and I hate it. But if that's the best and most current, it will have to do.

Okay: Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Comes in just under $900 sans video card.
Now the problem. I'd recommend the new 1070 as your card. But they're basically sold out/not available and your budget limits don't allow for buying a 1080 or 980Ti.
You COULD pick up a new 970 right now, quite easily. But considering the power boost of the 1070, it's a little ludicrous.

One thing you COULD do to mitigate?
Buy an EVGA card that qualifies for their Step-Up program.
You then have 90 days from the date of purchase to exercise the Step-Up option.
So when the 1070 becomes more available, just pay the cost difference, mail in your old card and get the new one.

Okay: Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Comes in just under $900 sans video card.
Now the problem. I'd recommend the new 1070 as your card. But they're basically sold out/not available and your budget limits don't allow for buying a 1080 or 980Ti.
You COULD pick up a new 970 right now, quite easily. But considering the power boost of the 1070, it's a little ludicrous.

One thing you COULD do to mitigate?
Buy an EVGA card that qualifies for their Step-Up program.
You then have 90 days from the date of purchase to exercise the Step-Up option.
So when the 1070 becomes more available, just pay the cost difference, mail in your old card and get the new one.

That's a great build! Just missing the O/S and what EVGA Card? Was not aware they had step-up program!

Basically, if you're going to go the Step-Up route, I would just go with a 970 for right now (make sure it's one that's eligible for the Step-Up program!), and then, once the supplies come in, exercise your Step-Up option and move up to a 1070.
I would buy your video card ABSOLUTELY LAST, to maximize the amount of eligible time from system completion to your final Step-Up date.

Basically, if you're going to go the Step-Up route, I would just go with a 970 for right now (make sure it's one that's eligible for the Step-Up program!), and then, once the supplies come in, exercise your Step-Up option and move up to a 1070.
I would buy your video card ABSOLUTELY LAST, to maximize the amount of eligible time from system completion to your final Step-Up date.

Chas I got that. Can you link me to a 970 that has that step-up route. like I said before I've been out of the game for many years and I'm basically new at this. also Home or Pro Win 10 64?

For the video card, I honestly don't know which SPECIFICALLY are eligible for the Step-Up program.

Your best bet is to contact customer support (or call 888-881-EVGA (3842) M-F 9AM - 5:30PM Pacific) and ask about specific models.

Here are the current stock items that you can Step-Up upgrade to:

And remember, you have to pay the difference between the price of the card you're asking for and the card you originally bought.

His budget allows for a 1070 sure but at the same time doesn't need a 6600k as well as 32gb ram I'm sure 16 will be fine for his use with option to add more later and a used or new gtx 970 or amd option once prices drop even more might be ideal or heck a new amd 480. Also about cpu if he gets a 6600 or non k comes with a cooler right and he doesn't sound like a hardcore overclocked so a stock heat sink and just a slightly weaker Cpu seems ideal ? And saves a few bucks to put elsewhere. I mean the build is great fits budget etc I just don't see the need for top of the line in my eye components.

6600k is like what the 2/3rd best "normal" cpu
1070 is second best "normal" gpu
32gb ram is also slight overkill for his use

My 2 cents congrats bro! I also just built a new system due to selling lots of spare parts and my almost entire main rig I ended up building and cost from top of my head.

$65 Nzxt case around on sale I think
$55 ram 2x8 ddr4
$89 asrock mobo with two big discounts
$290 6700k overkill but last 3-5yr ez
Reusing power supply AX860 corsair
$100 240mm Cpu AIO cooler overkill!
Reusing video gtx 670ftw
Goodluck! I'm working out some kinks in porting over my raid 0 ssd from old system can't get it to boot so about to just erase and start over hah!

I'd drop the 6600K to a 6600 or lower i5 since OP won't be overclocking. I also wouldn't overclock on a sub $120 board for daily use anyways.

Definitely cut RAM to 16GB. Case is a bit overkill. I can post specifics later tonight.

Alright here it is: PCPartPicker link (I tried PC Hound but it was missing Cryorig in the database)

- I opted for the Phanteks Evolve Pro M because it has a good balance of functionality and quality under $100. The base version costs a bit less but the side panels are flimsy so I went with the acrylic panel version for a bit more. You will also notice that all the parts in the list are more or less black so the build will have a uniform appearance. The narrow side intakes at the front are actually not filtered, so I would cut out some thin packaging foam to block them (the Enthoo Pro has the same problem).
- The drop to i5-6400 shouldn't affect performance too much as it turbos to 3.3GHz and you won't be overclocking anyways.
- The MSI board is, imo, the best value for features of the generation. You won't need your old sound card either since the audio codec is the best there is for onboard (PCI slots have been phased out a couple generations ago). The UEFI is mature and it uses an Intel NIC which, stupidly, MSI's higher end offerings have ommitted for marketing purposes.
- The Cryorig H7 will run quieter than a Hyper212 and outperform it. It won't collide with 4 DIMMs.
- The memory is probably the best value you can get for a higher frequency kit with a decent performance index.
- The 850 Evo was actually a cost-cutting selection for me as I would have went with the older, slower, but tried and true Intel 730 with power loss protection for about $40 more.
- The HGST NAS drive was chosen in case you wanted to RAID in the future.

I included a bluray drive and a 140mm intake fans (edit: acrylic version of the case comes with two). If you didn't need an optical drive, you can cut the case down to the Phanteks Eclipse P400S.

If you plan on installing Win7 Pro x64, you can get an OEM copy for really cheap from one of the guys in the FS section. I actually purchased 2 from @[Ion] last month and had no problems with them. Keep in mind if you change your mobo/ssd in the future, the OEM copy cannot be transferred to new hardware.

So with everything except a graphics card, that puts you around $850.

Last edited:
Killer advice from all. I like aspects of all the builds. Now it's time to make a decision.

Here are another two options for you. I'd suggest going with an overclockable build cause it'll just be more future-proof, since you kept your previous build for 10 years, it would probably be better ;). You pay less than $100 premium for the ability to OC.

Non OC build - $1,269.41 (before rebates)
Non OC build.png
OC build - $1,355.41 (before rebates)
OC build.png

Both builds include windows 10 64bit, GTX 980, 1tb SSD and a 32GB of RAM.

A gtx 1070 is obviously a better buy but only if you can find one for MSRP.

If you wait till next week, Radeon RX 480 should be released for $200-$230. If actual performance of these cards meets expectations, which is around GTX 980 level, then going with an RX 480 will be a great choice and will potentially save you another $100+ from the above listed builds.

P.S. I like to choose hardware with more or less matching color schemes, but that's just me.

BTW I'm in Miami as well !

Last edited:
Back