new panels planed by Lg for 2014

I gotta get me some of that 26.5 inch 1920^2 stuff.

The 1920x1920 one is the only one that looks interesting.

really? not the 34" 4k part, of the 5k3k res 27" panel planned, or the 23.8" panel with the A-TW pol back? All those look pretty interesting to me :)

No, because Windows can't use them properly, they are too demanding for games and slow. I want >144 Hz, higher contrast, fast panels and strobing with good colors.

The 5k3k panel can't come soon enough. Hopefully it can be driven at >60Hz (I don't care how many cables I have to attach to make that possible).

lets hope that 23.8" with A-TW will also be 120Hz+strobing and/or G-Sync :rolleyes:

Will the ATW polarizer eliminate IPS glow completely?
from very steep angles there is very slight purple glow
but for all practical purposes yes glow is gone

does the ATW polarizer effect contrast or black level in any negative way?

it would be much cooler news if it was coming back in 1440p 27" screens and not in 23" 1080p :(

The 1920x1920 one is the only one that looks interesting.

What an odd resolution.

Personally i'd like to see everyone stop making 1080p panels, it's kind of old hat and way overdone by now isn't it?

it would be much cooler news if it was coming back in 1440p 27" screens and not in 23" 1080p :(

The Eizo EV2736W is glow free, as are some Qnix QX2710's (PWM and glow free version and a normal version with a 160hz PWM frequency).

-----

Bet some of these will have insultingly low 130hz LED PWM Dimming Frequencies like the rest of LG's high end models (27EA83 and 21:9 models). Not sure what the point is of the supper slim bezel monitors is since the inner black bezel is so dark it makes the blacks look grayish and the bezel thickness is uneven which makes them poor choices for portrait, multi-monitor set-ups.

Last edited:
The Eizo EV2736W is glow free, as are some Qnix QX2710's (PWM and glow free version and a normal version with a 160hz PWM frequency).

-----

Bet some of these will have insultingly low 130hz LED PWM Dimming Frequencies like the rest of LG's high end models (27EA83 and 21:9 models). Not sure what the point is of the supper slim bezel monitors is since the inner black bezel is so dark it makes the blacks look grayish and the bezel thickness is uneven which makes them poor choices for portrait, multi-monitor set-ups.

The U3014 uses 2500hz PWM :D

It's pretty lame that the 21:9 is probably the best panel LG currently makes. Everything else suffers from bad uniformity, glow and tops out at 880 contrast.

So LG isn't releasing new 27/30/31.5 models with the polarizer? :(

It's strange that LG doesn't offer the A-TW polarizer option for all their panels. How hard can it be to cut up film in different sizes?

1920 x 1920 sounds cool!

No higher resolution <= 24" panels? :( I'd love 2560 x 1600 @ 24"

I was expecting some other manufacturer or maybe a new startup to announce this.
You can't really be excited about LG. They're all about production costs.

What they are doing now is creating Minimum Viable Products based on user feedback, flood the market and let users test them.

I bet they're just adjusting to the market to sell more.

I was expecting some other manufacturer or maybe a new startup to announce this.
You can't really be excited about LG. They're all about production costs.

What they are doing now is creating Minimum Viable Products based on user feedback, flood the market and let users test them.

I bet they're just adjusting to the market to sell more.
they make all the IPS panels out there and is to manufacturers how well they implement them. LG monitors are not that great in the way they have a poor QC but the panel themselves seem to be ok.

only the Eizo Colorgraphic/Coloredge displays have it, like the CX240 and CG277. I don't believe NEC is using it anymore. The 4k IGZO panels by Sharp should also be glow free.
The rest is a lottery - first batch of EV2736, a few European q2770pqu and some lucky Korean panels have A-TW.
The remainder has glow of varying degrees, sometimes weaker (27mb85r), sometimes stronger (up2414q). Samsung PLS panels are said to glow a little less than LGs.
The news said A-TW by LG is planned for end of 2014/2015, maybe there will be something announced at CES, maybe it is (again) just for a few select professional screens.

Last edited:
only the Eizo Colorgraphic/Coloredge displays have it, like the CX240 and CG277. I don't believe NEC is using it anymore. The 4k IGZO panels by Sharp should also be glow free.
The rest is a lottery - first batch of EV2736, a few European q2770pqu and some lucky Korean panels have A-TW.
The remainder has glow of varying degrees, sometimes weaker (27mb85r), sometimes stronger (up2414q). Samsung PLS panels are said to glow a little less than LGs.
The news said A-TW by LG is planned for end of 2014/2015, maybe there will be something announced at CES, maybe it is (again) just for a few select professional screens.

Hopefully the Dell U2515H has a TW polarizer... Getting bored of waiting for a decent IPS now, might just buy a korean IPS and then at least it did not cost much!

Some guy that bought a Asus PQ321QE wrote that it did have a red/brown glow so he exchanged it for another one and it had also same problem. IGZO is not even a panel type, those IGZO monitors are IPS.

IGZO is not actually a panel type. It's a type of transistor used in a display's TFT backplane, which is what controls the display panel (whether that panel is TN, IPS, or even OLED). It uses Indium-Gallium-Zinc-Oxide as a semiconductor instead of Silicon.

Compared to amorphous Silicon (aSi) which is what is used in typical displays, IGZO transistors have a lot higher electron mobility, so their conductivity is just as good at a much smaller size (conductivity depends on electron mobility and mass. Higher electron mobility means less mass is required for the same conductivity). With its small size compared to aSi, IGZO is useful for high density displays where aSi TFTs would start to block a significant amount of the backlight, requiring more power to the backlight to compensate (increasing exponentially as the pixel density increases). With IGZO TFTs, not as much backlight is needed to get the display to a certain brightness. So all-in-all for current LCDs like IPS monitors, IGZO mostly translates into some power savings. However, IGZO can also operate more quickly than aSi which may be useful if OLED takes off and the refresh rate limitations of LCD are no longer applicable. Furthermore they can be made transparent, which again may be useful if OLED takes off, since OLEDs can be made transparent as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1449080/igzo-vs-ips-which-one-is-better-in-terms-of-display-quality

Some guy that bought a Asus PQ321QE wrote that it did have a red/brown glow so he exchanged it for another one and it had also same problem. IGZO is not even a panel type, those IGZO monitors are IPS.

Too bad then...
But at least the one =DEAD= reviewed had good viewing angles (better than IPS) and "Glow almost complete absence of the effect (better than all modern displays)" but otherwise not that good a panel

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/55943_4/pervyj-s-4k-obzor-i-testirovanie-monitora-asus-pq321q.html#16

and yes, IGZO is a transistor added to in this case an ASV panel, which in the case of Sharp could be a VA or IPS type (prad.de inquired and got contradictory answers, but it looks and behaves more like IPS type)

Last edited:
Back