New P5Q build, unable to complete Vista installation

I'd avoid them to be honest. I recently got my replacement 4gb Corsair PC6400 kit and it needs to be RMA'd. Had zero problems with memtest, prime95 et al, but random BSOD's and most games caused a near-instant display driver crash (and not just on the P5Q-Pro, same thing on my IP35-Pro). Took me a while to figure out it was the memory the first time, but I know how to make it go bang now ;)
I'm able to run 2x1gb GeIL (has the orange heatspreader) plus 2x1gb OCZ Platinum with 100% stability, if that helps.

Hmm crap, I thought Corsair was pretty much a safe bet in that regard. Isn't there a memory model thats recognized as fully compatible with the P5Q though?
And will this work?:
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
How about these?
Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

But most importantly, what speed should I get? I'll be OCing the Q6600 a bit.
Edit: Is 1066 the right speed?

Thanks!

/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
Formulas for Intel platform @ 1:1 settings: (base FSB speed is SDR, or single data rate)
c × [Base FSB speed] = CPU Clock speed (c = CPU Multiplier)
2 × [Base FSB speed] = RAM speed (DDR: double data rate)
4 × [Base FSB speed] = Effective FSB speed (QDR: quad data rate)

On Intel platforms, running the RAM higher than a 1:1 ratio with the CPU is, for the most part, useless, so don't bother trying to do so. If the BIOS does it for you, just let it. All you need is a 1:1 config, though. Here's some possible clock speeds (as always with OC'ing, your results will vary):

Q6600: 9 × 266 = 2.4Ghz, DDR2-533 << STOCK speeds
Q6600: 9 × 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667 << Nice OC
Q6600: 9 × 378 = 3.4Ghz, DDR2-756 << Good OC, near max for B3 stepping w/ good air cooling
Q6600: 9 × 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << Great OC, near max for G0 stepping w/ good air cooling

You won't notice a difference between CL4 and CL5, unless you're running benchmarks (and even then, the difference is negligible), so don't pay a huge price premium for lower latency.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

With that said, go with these:
$40 - G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

I've used them on numerous P5Q Pro builds, and they work great for a Q6600.

Great info, thanks a lot. I get it now.

Funny thing is though, I have that exact G-Skill kit laying around for another build, and I got the same windows installation issues with that kit. I guess mem isnt my problem, maybe the mobo is. I will find that out this weekend, when I get another mobo and CPU to test with. Will also test with some 512MB sticks.

thanks

OK, a little update here:

I got an E5400 CPU and a G31 mobo last week for another build. I swapped the Q6600 out for the E5400 on the P5Q, and guess what, no installation problems? Not sure if the CPU was faulty, if it had some physical damage, or if it just was incompatible with some of my other hardware, but anyways, it seems to have been the main problem.

That said, once I got Windows installed, the network card on the mobo wasnt detected. Its like it wasnt there, even though it obviously was enabled in BIOS. Furthermore, I kept getting a 'chassis intrusion' error randomly on startup, which required me to flip the battery for thirty secs, really annoying.

So I decided to not only get a new CPU, but also a new mobo and send this POS mobo back. I went to Microcenter on Sunday and picked up a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo and a Q9300 CPU (for $179!). This new setup installed nicely, and seems stable. The Gigabyte mobo seems awesome, and is OVERLOADED with features, I love it.

Ok,

i just got a P5Q and a Q6600

I was having problems to install Vista from my original disc.

Booted a LiveCD Linux (Copied to Memory) and downloaded a new Vista Image and burned it.

The installation went thru . . .

typing this from Vista 64 right now . . .

How can i check out my P5Q build ?

Ok,

i just got a P5Q and a Q6600

I was having problems to install Vista from my original disc.

Booted a LiveCD Linux (Copied to Memory) and downloaded a new Vista Image and burned it.

The installation went thru . . .

typing this from Vista 64 right now . . .

How can i check out my P5Q build ?

The media wasnt my issue, I tried a bunch of different methods.

"How can i check out my P5Q build ?"
Huh?

Back