Board is an Asus P5K.
This was to be my new old timey gamer.
All the hardware is set up.
When I boot up I get this message:

Detect drives done
No drives found

Re-boot and select proper
boot device and select a key

I then re-boot and go into bios and confirm that there is the Floppy, CD-Rom and hard drive.
All have their boot order designated.
If I re-boot and try to use the device, I get the same message.
Have to admit that my pea brain is stumped.
Any thoughts, suggestions or advice, is certainly appreciated.
Thanks
Scratch...

Thanks very much gentlemen.
Operating system is not able to be installed.
Instead I get a "No drives found" message.
Starfalcon:
Yes, using SATA drives.

If you are using an old os, you probably need to load sata drivers for disk to be detected.

Gentlemen:
Thank you for your responses:
I may not have been absolutely clear in my original post.
When I start the computer. The message that I receive in text is:
"NO DRIVES FOUND" (apologies for shouting)
Next message is:
"Re-boot and select proper boot device and press a key."
I am unable to use any device in order to install the operating system no matter what that operating system is.
The boot device will not work. This machine was put together to use Win XP.

Gentlemen:
Thank you for your responses:
I may not have been absolutely clear in my original post.
When I start the computer. The message that I receive in text is:
"NO DRIVES FOUND" (apologies for shouting)
Next message is:
"Re-boot and select proper boot device and press a key."
I am unable to use any device in order to install the operating system no matter what that operating system is.
The boot device will not work. This machine was put together to use Win XP.
will it boot the windows XP install disk if setting cdrom to first boot device (#1 priority)? If not, clear the cmos and we can start from scratch troubleshooting.

Yeah if you have hard drive set as first boot it will fail as there is not a bootable hard drive there. It has to be able to start with the CD so it can get started setting up the drive and installing XP on to the drive. Plus you will need to hit F6 during the early install window to install the SATA drivers off a floppy. Otherwise XP will not see the drive to be able to install to it.

Thanks very much for your help gentlemen.
Presently Floppy is set as the first boot device..
I will be installing Win 98 second edition, and XP over that.
(what I have) :sorry:
I will do as you say, only installing Win 98 first. (if I can)
And report back.
Scratch...

I wouldnt personally install XP over 98, they are completely different OSes and not really compatable with each other. 98 is DOS based, XP is NT based, and you are better off just doing an XP install without the 98. Its your computer though, but I wouldnt do it and I build and tinker with a lot of retro stuff.

Thanks very much gentlemen.
Operating system is not able to be installed.
Instead I get a "No drives found" message.
Starfalcon:
Yes, using SATA drives.

Do you have a bootable CD in the CD drive? If none of the hard drives that are attached has an OS on it, this is the expected behavior.

I wouldnt personally install XP over 98, they are completely different OSes and not really compatable with each other. 98 is DOS based, XP is NT based, and you are better off just doing an XP install without the 98. Its your computer though, but I wouldnt do it and I build and tinker with a lot of retro stuff.
Maybe the install media he has in the XP upgrade, and requires you to do that?

If his XP isnt bootable, you can just use the XP boot floppies, drop the CD in once it is booted and go to town

Yes-
The Win-XP is the Upgrade version and I was able to use the combo on another machine. Now deceased. :cry:

SO-
Opened the box and removed and reinstalled the round battery.
re-started and got the same messages.
Tried making all three devices as first boot device.( Guess I'm getting desperate.)
Still no luck.
Very frustrating.
Really appreciate your efforts to help me.

Have you booted it with a 98 boot disk to format the hard drive yet? You will need to do that before you can install 98 on the drive so you can upgrade to XP.

Also fdisk isnt going to be able to handle a big drive, I try to keep my drives under 60Gb or so. There is a patchhed version of fdisk that can do bigger ones, but you will need to partition it into smaller parts.

Win98’s ability to run on support hardware from about 2005 and on is pretty limited to non-existent, though you should still be able to boot from the install media.

With that said, you don’t need to install 98 first. You just have to have the install media for 98 to “prove” you’re upgrading. Try to boot from the XP cd.

Back