New office type build

Avalanche

Pendleton - Learn It, Live It, Know It
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly web, email, documents, music but also working with GoPro videos.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$840. Might be able to get another $100 or so in the budget if performance increased substantially. Tax/shipping included. I have Prime/ShopRunner

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Boise, Idaho

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
RAM (prefer 8GB, 4GB would work though)
Motherboard
1TB+ HDD
Case
PSU
Heatsink
Optical

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have the KB/Mouse and a Samsung 830 256GB SSD I will probably use as a boot drive. Will need everything else.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No.

7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Will probably need a new monitor. Looking for 1080P. If we can't squeeze it in I believe I have an old 1280x1024 19" HP.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next week or so.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Onboard for main most likely. Would the new Intel 4000 would be good for working with GoPro videos?

SATA 6Gb/s

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No. Probably will want Win 7 64-bit.

This build is for a friend's father who is looking for something a little faster than his five year old Dell. I already have the 256GB 830 SSD, and looking to build around that. I have no experience with the mainstream type CPUs so I would like to see what the options were.

Also, not entirely adverse to the idea of going with a prebuilt option from Dell, HP etc. I do get discounts with Dell and HP I believe.

Last edited:
By "working with GoPro videos.", you mean like video editing/rendering and such? Just how often will he be doing that?

Your answer to the above question pretty determines whether he should go DIY or a Dell.

Not sure how much editing will be done. As it is he just wants to be able to have smooth playback, haha. My guess is mostly just changing the the length of the video via Movie Maker. I don't think there will be much transcoding or anything dealing with After Effects or Vegas.

Back