New Office Desk (Budget less than 10K)

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
I would usually post this in GenMay but, since we have a new forum, here goes.

Looking for a new two person desk (side by side) and a depth of no more than 27 inches (adjustable height would be nice and some sort of built in wire management). Similar to attached photo, but of course less expensive.

Suggestions? I don't want to build one, no time currently.

(Desk quota met to get that suggestion out of the way....and I'm actually serious that just happens to be a great example of layout)

Attachments

• 10kdesk-Lantec_2.jpg
    10kdesk-Lantec_2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 323
So torn between thinking this is trolling (from GenMay), or if serious. Also is that picture actually your setup now? Are you a time traveler?

Why not go for a basic desk and throw on a Varidesk on top for adjustability?

Or something like this?

Last edited:
So torn between thinking this is trolling (from GenMay), or if serious. Also is that picture actually your setup now? Are you a time traveler?

Not being quite sure.....that is half the fun. isn't it?

Why not go for a basic desk and throw on a Varidesk on top for adjustability?

Because part of the issue is equipment ends up going under the desk on occasion (SFX unit testing) and I'd like to be able to move the entire desk structure up to accommodate it to make this easier.

Had similar at work and it's too small and they have all broken very quickly. Very cheap materials and the casters suck.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90214308/ (this is the canadian website)

20 inches deep.

Has cable management.

Cheap as fuck.

Always weary of cheap as fuck and Ikea. Wait, those are the same thing........

Takes about 5 minutes to assemble.

LOL

As soon as you start getting into sit/stand desks (which I assume is what you meant) the price increases substantially.

If money isn't an option, I'd just slap two of these together:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49084965/

Closer but not great still. It says it is too deep so I would have to notch two parts of it out and it's fiberboard.

Ehh, IKEA stuff isn't that bad. It's not meant to last through the carnage that is children (which I don't have) or large dogs, etc. My entire bedroom and living room space is IKEA, and it looks like new, despite being over 5 years old (some stuff newer). It's not that I'm cheap with furniture (I went all out with the couches and seating), I just like the look, and the price is solid for what you get.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have a budget up to $10k, I highly recommend these guys - https://www.combine9.com/

They built a custom HUGE computer desk for me using reclaimed ship's lumber and giant I-beam pieces for the base. They also built a custom server cabinet for me that looks post apocalyptic.

Check them out, they'll build to your exact specs and prices are excellent for custom furniture. I think I paid $3500 for a 7' wide, 3.5' deep desk!

(they also offer electric height adjusting desks, or manual crank)

Last edited:
This meme is so dank that I am literally drowning.

On the off chance that you're serious, I'll check what I have at the office tomorrow. Motorized sit/stand, big enough for 2 people to set up, and I THINK roughly the dimensions you want.

Similar to attached photo, but of course less expensive.

Are we supposed to know the make and model of that desk? And does it really cost more than $10,000?

You could have had five custom desks built by now for less than $10,000, so I'd assume you've found your desk.

Look at used office furniture! Sometimes you can find some really great stuff at a good deal. And I know that there is some stuff out there that might work perfectly for you...

Also, given your price is less than a desk, you can probably even get it made for you at an office furniture place. Don't discount these places... I got 5 custom desks built and even installed + a portable filing cabinet for around 5k. Which isn't bad at all. This is Canadian dollars.

If you have a budget up to $10k, I highly recommend these guys - https://www.combine9.com/

They built a custom HUGE computer desk for me using reclaimed ship's lumber and giant I-beam pieces for the base. They also built a custom server cabinet for me that looks post apocalyptic.

Check them out, they'll build to your exact specs and prices are excellent for custom furniture. I think I paid $3500 for a 7' wide, 3.5' deep desk!

(they also offer electric height adjusting desks, or manual crank)

I was thinking exactly this, with a budget like that you can find someone competent to build you just what you want.

If it were me, I think I would like the entire desktop able to swing forward from one side to at least 90 degrees. You want to put equipment under the desk no problem, just have a support platform along the back and either "pull" it out of the side, or move your chairs and swing the desktop forward allowing you access to the equipment platform underneath.

Or mount it on rails along the side wall so it can be pulled out away from the back wall to give you easy access to the equipment rack.

Three possibles to think through.

My Ikea Galant is over 10 years old. I had a Jerker before that, too. For the $$, it's hard to find a better value than Ikea desks. That being said (written), my Galant is showing its age and I'm looking for a new desk. I'm not crazy about the Bekant, which replaced the Galant, so am considering something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OFM-55224-CH...id=1493312777&sr=8-102&keywords=l+shaped+desk
I would honestly suggest Craig's list and get another Galant. I picked up a Galant corner desk with the extra extension and printer stand that was like new for 150 bucks. it's an awesome setup and the extension gives you a lot of extra room. For some reason IKEA took away the option of adding an extension on the Bekant series.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I had an older Galant desk that was beat up (not hard to imagine, given the cheap particle board and veneer tops) I'd have someone craft a new solid wood top for it. In fact, I recently began looking for a rough looking Galant just to salvage the legs and hardware.

I recently moved from an old Galant to a Linnmon Adils and, while I'm still adjusting (RIP Galant), it's serving me well so far. That said, with that kind of budget you could easily go custom made or pick up one of the exxy height adjustable desks. My wife recently replaced her cheapo one with one from the Evolve series (grabbed them from here https://www.unofurniture.co.nz/product-category/desks-workstations/height-adjustable-desks/ but there's bound to be local stockists near you). Her work recently shifted over to the height adjustable/standing and apparently it makes that much of a difference that she couldn't stand (excuse the puns) to be relegated to her chair outside work hours.

If I hadn't just picked up the Linnmon I think I'd be tempted too...

Surprised this thread is still going.

For anyone that doesnt know what the OP was referring to... just do some googling.

EDIT: Apparently the OP actually does want some desk suggestions... but the 10k reference has flown over some heads me thinks?

deskref3.jpg

have one made custom on etsy, that's when i needed a desk like 9 months back

I'd recommend the Updesk adjustable desk. It's 30 inches deep and 72 inches wide, you can easily fit two people on that desk. Behind the desk, you can find cable management channels. Keep in mind it is expensive, but for the quality and the height adjustment, it is entirely understandable.

Here is an excellent article that could help you in your search, https://exposegaming.com/best-gaming-desk-under-2000/

Good luck!

I lol'd when I saw the 10k desk then I was wondering if it would in fact fly over the heads of the Millennials and it did.

There are so many desks out there. Go out to any store and I am sure you can find something that is pretty inexpensive, especially at any office supply store, if not online. I have a $200 desk in my office and could not imagine spending anything more. It gets the job done.

I have an Ikea Fredrik (no longer made I believe)...bad-ass desk, have had it for years and it's still in perfect shape.

Back