New nVidia PNY 1GB GTS 250 Max GPU clock speed?

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
So I have an old X2 Amd rig I built years ago, and happen to be in a store and saw them giving away (almost) a PNY GTS 250 so I snatched one up, upgrading my old ass 8700
gtx.

So I am in Riva Tuner trying to figure out my max clock speed, and amazingly enough I am at 870 now. I am honestly getting a little scared. I don't see any artifacts and Furmark hasn't froze on me yet. Default on 3D perfomance was 738, and usually 10% is pushing it. I dont want to burn it out.

Just checking to see that if GPU clock speed is to high, Furmark will freeze up? Right, I hope :)

And I am water cooled...

have you increased voltage at all? i cant see you doing any damage to the card unless you at least increase the voltage. i dont have one so i cant be more helpful than that.

No not doing any voltage mods to the board. Staying away from that, thats usually always trouble.

But I did find my max for the card. its as follows:

Core 870Mhz
Shader 2070Mhz
Memory 1235Mhz

Now I just need to tweak everything till its running stable. I had it at 865 / 2060 / 1235 and it was stable for about 4 minutes, then my frame rates dropped out. So I think it needs just a little more tweaking, and it stayed right at 75-76 degrees Celsius. It looks like I am going to get about a 14% gain on core clock, a 15% gain on shader clock and a 10% gain on memory. Not bad at all for a $119.00 video card.

Little more tweaking and Next up test in 3D Mark.

Well since I thought maybe Furmark was part of my problem, I got it to where I thought it should be, then 3DMark05 tested it and got a stable run and scored a 10,969 and thats with just an OC on the GPU, the X2 3800 running stock at 2K. So thats about a 5% gain in 3DMark05, not bad for a free upgrade:)

Now I think maybe just throwing another 250 GTS in SLI, and this old girl is back in business, and a little OC on the CPU.

Almost forgot! I got the GPU running Core 860/ Shader 2055/ Memory 1215 and GPU temp maxed out at 61 degrees Celsius in 3DMark05. I bet if I just did a few design tweaks on the WC loop I might get some better temps, but there not to far off.

looks good. yeah without increasing voltage you might get freezes and BSODs or artifacting but shouldnt hurt the board. if youre thinking about another for SLI did you see this? damn good price if you dont mind fronting the money and waiting for a rebate.

looks good. yeah without increasing voltage you might get freezes and BSODs or artifacting but shouldnt hurt the board. if youre thinking about another for SLI did you see this? damn good price if you dont mind fronting the money and waiting for a rebate.
thanks for the heads up, but I am gonna stick to the same exact card which is the PNY 1 GB card its only $20.00 more for twice the memory. I just don't want any problems so I am gonna try and stick to the same exact card.

But I have other things to look into, cause I might need a beefed up PS for both of them. And not sure how the cooling system will handle it.
And I stand corrected I went from a 7800GTX, got the number backwards :) But FYI my DD GPU block mounted right to the GTS 250, its not a full block but it worked. So If I can find a reasonably priced block to fit the 250 and a new PS I will grab another card. I should be ok with a 850 watt PS I think.

850 watts will be plenty. sounds like a good time man! good luck with the build!

That's a great OC for the GTS 250. Be sure to get another one from that same store and/or exact model somewhere else. Newer GTS 250's are downclocked to 675 and likely wont hot those clocks.

Back