New nVidia GPU - best way to secure one upon release?

Two things to mention - Founders Edition only provides 1year warranty.

And “wait and see” is a 12month journey for
3070ti or 3080super that might
save you 100bucks?

Buy direct from AIB if you can.

Two things to mention - Founders Edition only provides 1year warranty.

And “wait and see” is a 12month journey for
3070ti or 3080super that might
save you 100bucks?

Buy direct from AIB if you can.
That's not accurate at all.

The NVIDIA sold FE cards have a 3 year warranty in the US market for the purchaser of said card from NVIDIA.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/warranty/

Given that it is a three year warranty, and from my experience is very easy to work with them to get a replacement card; If you want a day 1 NVIDIA GPU just order it straight from NVIDIA.

I don't know about you but my local MC has lines out the door for people to get in... then the lines to actually check out are to the back of the store for the 'in store pickup' line. So I wouldn't bet on MC doing a big deal launch this time around with covid and all. If they do be prepared to wait outside a while or to get tickets for the item so when you get in store you turn over your ticket, get the item, then leave.

For the Ryzen 3000 release my MC literally had people wrapped around the store...

The NVIDIA sold FE cards have a 3 year warranty in the US market for the purchaser of said card from NVIDIA.

Given that it is a three year warranty, and from my experience is very easy to work with them to get a replacement card; If you want a day 1 NVIDIA GPU just order it straight from NVIDIA.

Does this warranty apply if you just intend to remove the cooler and watercool the card? I assume if it's assembled in the exact stock configuration and nothing is physically damaged Nvidia will accept an RMA

I don't know about you but my local MC has lines out the door for people to get in... then the lines to actually check out are to the back of the store for the 'in store pickup' line. So I wouldn't bet on MC doing a big deal launch this time around with covid and all. If they do be prepared to wait outside a while or to get tickets for the item so when you get in store you turn over your ticket, get the item, then leave.

Not even close here, KC and MN stores aren't like that. Unless it's changed drastically in the last 2 years.

Not even close here, KC and MN stores aren't like that. Unless it's changed drastically in the last 2 years.
IT's changed drastically in the last 7 months. Let alone 2 years. MC is doing business hand over fist because in many cases they are the only game in town. Best Buy, Frys, any of the others can't keep stock. I'm not sure how Microcenter is doing it but they have product on shelves and they are selling it consistently.

say a prayer to the video game Gods...then stay locked into Newegg and Amazon all day and night

Thats great news, i thought I read it was only a year. Thanks for the tip.

IT's changed drastically in the last 7 months. Let alone 2 years. MC is doing business hand over fist because in many cases they are the only game in town. Best Buy, Frys, any of the others can't keep stock. I'm not sure how Microcenter is doing it but they have product on shelves and they are selling it consistently.

The Best Buy situation is an interesting one to look at. They have the sku's people buy, but always seem to just get like 1-3 of the higher end cards that always sell out on the day that store receives them. It could either be an allocation thing, where they are only getting so much inventory from their partners, or they just try to do the new age brick and mortar approach with an extremely low quantity of per store inventory, and quick fulfillment from their hubs, which also enables the online business to keep higher inventory levels. Probably a mix of all of those, with the major factor being that they keep the majority at the fullfillment center, and allocate small quantities to stores because it looks good in the numbers somewhere on a spreadsheet lost in the ether of modern retail cashflow.

Just my two cents on this one though, there are A LOT of gamers that pay for their gear with cash only, and if they just buy whatever is available at their bestbuy or if lucky an actual computer store.

When does EVGA usually pre-order? Back with Fermi, I pre-ordered a 470 direct from evga but forgot how long after the announcement they were posted.

Regarding Best Buy, I might give them a try this time around. Back in the day I didn't have much faith in them, but they seem to have stepped up their game recently. I had a LG OLED48CX pre-ordered at B&H in May of this year in anticipation of it's release in June. No other retailer was offering pre-orders on the set, and I have had very good experience with B&H previously. June arrives and I'm searching for any word on a release date every several days, since I'm getting nothing from B&H. Near the end of the month I see Best Buy has it for sale at the same price ($1500, not $1600 like many others, who just had it listed as "coming soon"), with expected ship date of July 1, so I pull the trigger. Two days later it was on its way to me and I canceled my order with B&H. This experience is pretty similar to others I've had with them in recent years: when they put a product up for sale, it seems they either have decent stock of it, or have a good amount of it coming in imminently. Probably because they have more pull than just about any other electronics retailer except maybe Amazon or Newegg. The one downside for GPU purchases is that they don't tend to get that many SKUs, so you may not have many options if you want a specific AIB.

Relating to time of release, I expect these cards will go live on all the major retailers right around the start of the livestream today at noon (eastern), just like they did last time.

I probably will be ordering from Amazon again, I constantely get Amazon gift cards because my family knows I research almost everything to the point I might as well build my own so why not just fund what I exactly want instead. Speaking on Best Buy though I've been impressed with them after more trips to them this year than I have in the last 5 combined and they didn't put on the full push for every little thing, brief mentions on an extended warranty after asking if someone else mentioned it if I answered yes they just moved on. I remember used to feel like a fight just to make it out of one with my wallet still on me.

I was at the MN Microcenter for the Ryzen 3000 launch July 2019. I got there 15 minutes before it started and I was like 50th in line.

The Denver Microcenter is certified camping ground for releases. I figured I'd snag a 1080 on my way to work (3 hours before they open). When I rolled up there was a line 50 people deep. They looked like they'd been there a while, too. Per the folks in line, the store was guaranteed to have 25 cards and they might have another dozen if they got lucky. The other people were there to pre-pay for a second round of cards supposedly due the following week.
Maybe this release will be different, but I'm not going to battle the elements for something I can buy online far easier.

I've pretty much choose best buy for any type of product that I think insurance might come into play; oculus, switch, Xbox controllers, air pods, you just hand them the broken one and walk out with one off the shelf. But I kind of doubt I'll need it on a gfx card, those die a few months after 3 years. But I'll be monitoring them.

I really hope supply is not choked for the 3080, would like to get one reasonably close to launch and not have to wait months or deal with scalper prices.

Back