New nVidia GPU - best way to secure one upon release?

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I've been loving my 1080 Ti but have been itching big-time for an upgrade. I'm sure, at release, no matter the price, nVidia is going to sell out of their GPU's. What do you think is the best way for someone to secure one? I've never purchased a video card near a release, and have always waited a while for the demand to settle. However, with a new HP Reverb G2 on order, and a bunch of games I want to play on my new 4k projector, I'm willing to shell out $1000+. Are they typically released at midnight, and I'll have to fight other online shoppers? Does nVidia always release their FE cards first, and AIB's a few weeks/months later? I appreciate any input!

I had no issue ordering a 2080 Ti off the NVIDIA website on release day. Also ordered a Titan X when it was released from their website. They use a third-party fulfillment service, though, so it takes a little longer to actually arrive compared to retailers.

Good luck.

When the cards are actually released, availability will likely be considerably worse than any past launch in recent memory because of the massive supply-chain disruptions caused by the Chinese coronavirus.

Keep a watch on like Bestbuy and other retail chains that sell Nvidia Founders Edition cards usually at msrp.

Good luck.

When the cards are actually released, availability will likely be considerably worse than any past launch in recent memory because of the massive supply-chain disruptions caused by the Chinese coronavirus.

I'd expect nothing out of the ordinary on the supply side; they'll just delay the launch until they've got as much stock as they normally do. To the extent that anything might be worse than normal, it'd be from people sitting on their stimulus checks instead of having blown them on a new PC now. (A recent Gamers Nexus video reported on multiple OEMs saying when the money hit their sales jumped from the normal spring time yearly nadir to Black Friday/Christmas levels; which combined with holiday/corona shutdowns in China and reduced shipping capacity is why so much stuff is out of stock now.)

Get up early.
Camp on nvidia page at least an hour before they start. Refresh alot.
Start checking newegg just after midnight the day they release.
I got a new gpu at 1 AM a while back.
Most of the time newegg will post up around 9 pacific.
Newegg however will jack the price where nvidia doesnt.

Unless they have a stock of like 10 I’m expecting availability over the first couple of day's will be better than it has been for years.

Lots of people just don’t have a lot of free cash atm

I'd expect nothing out of the ordinary on the supply side; they'll just delay the launch until they've got as much stock as they normally do. To the extent that anything might be worse than normal, it'd be from people sitting on their stimulus checks instead of having blown them on a new PC now. (A recent Gamers Nexus video reported on multiple OEMs saying when the money hit their sales jumped from the normal spring time yearly nadir to Black Friday/Christmas levels; which combined with holiday/corona shutdowns in China and reduced shipping capacity is why so much stuff is out of stock now.)

The biggest difference this launch will be that it's been 2 years since the last one. That might create more demand than usual.

Unless they have a stock of like 10 I’m expecting availability over the first couple of day's will be better than it has been for years.

I dunno, maybe. I’m going to be hitting refresh madly and I bet plenty here will be. The 2080 Ti was a pretty disappointing release but my 1080 Ti is really starting to show its age at 4K.

I dunno, maybe. I’m going to be hitting refresh madly and I bet plenty here will be. The 2080 Ti was a pretty disappointing release but my 1080 Ti is really starting to show its age at 4K.

Yeah maybe, I’m in exactly the same boat and it will be a day 1 purchase but I’m an edge case of doing very well through the pandemic.

Probably will come down to Cyberpunk tbh. If hq has it making current gen cry like a bitch I can see a bunch of upgrades. 10s of millions of people unemployed is gonna have an effect on the market though no question.

If you are too lazy to F5, at least sign up for nowinstock notifications. While people may beat you to check out in the first day or two, demand will start dropping down and you should be able to secure an order off the notification after a couple days.

Last edited:
Back when the evga 1080sc came out shortly after Pascal release, I played the F5 game in a meeting on my phone and snagged two on newegg... LOL.

My favorite was the GTX 980 launch.

About 30 minutes before the embargo, someone found a link that could add the card to your cart on Amazon.

You couldn't buy it from the page, but if you use the link, it would silently add to your cart, and then you could checkout.

It worked, and I bought 3 of them (back when I thought SLI was worthwhile). And, for one day, I got rank 11 on Catzilla.

Catzilla11.PNG

Probably could have overclocked and got into the top 10 but I didn't really care that much. Still fun times.

Depending on the value proposition and production situation, it could be really hard to get the card you want at a decent price within the first few weeks, if the past is anything to go by.
Other than blind luck, if it's a situation where there isn't enough stock for for day 1 demand at retail price (which is very likely and to some extent encouraged,) most day 1 purchasers will be paying a premium (again, other than a small number with that crazy f5 place an order fast luck) .
It won't help that some ebay sellers will look to buy up anything at a decent price.
Then there's the wait for 3rd party coolers and prices period which makes you question whether you should buy a launch card even if you could get one at a good price - all in all, I find the current setup with GPUs (on both sides) to be a total fluster cluck. While consoles also can have some launch shortages, the situation quickly resolves, but the 2080 ti remained hard to get the right card at the right price since day 1. You had to make it a hobby to hunt one down at a good price until a year+ after release, which is really crappy. This is why some competition from AMD would be great, I really hope all this Navi 31 stuff turns out to be true and incoming, and that they are able to dampen the sense that there's no other game in town but the Ampere A102 for high end performance (or whatever the 3080ti / 3090 is).

Apple solved this problem with the iPhone launches by letting you order even with quite a backlog through their website and you would typically get your phone in 2 weeks at MSRP (for the last 2-3 years at least). In fact, in the last few years you could typically get easily a 20%+ discount by black friday which is not too far from the sept. launch window.

I hope there's enough stock and that Nvidia has some plan to deal with demand and avoid price gouging, but I doubt it.

When the Ryzen 3000 series launched last summer, I showed up about an hour early to my local Micro Center, and was number 7 in line. I had a blast BS'ing with the other geeks, which I don't get to do that often, so I don't mind showing up 1-2 hours early with a McDonald's coffee and shooting the shit with other like-minded individuals. With that, anyone camp out at a MC in the past for a GPU launch? Does a crowd show up? By the time the doors opened to the MC last year, there were probably 50 people in line waiting to grab a CPU or GPU.

Depending on the value proposition and production situation, it could be really hard to get the card you want at a decent price within the first few weeks, if the past is anything to go by.
Other than blind luck, if it's a situation where there isn't enough stock for for day 1 demand at retail price (which is very likely and to some extent encouraged,) most day 1 purchasers will be paying a premium (again, other than a small number with that crazy f5 place an order fast luck) .
It won't help that some ebay sellers will look to buy up anything at a decent price.
Then there's the wait for 3rd party coolers and prices period which makes you question whether you should buy a launch card even if you could get one at a good price - all in all, I find the current setup with GPUs (on both sides) to be a total fluster cluck. While consoles also can have some launch shortages, the situation quickly resolves, but the 2080 ti remained hard to get the right card at the right price since day 1. You had to make it a hobby to hunt one down at a good price until a year+ after release, which is really crappy. This is why some competition from AMD would be great, I really hope all this Navi 31 stuff turns out to be true and incoming, and that they are able to dampen the sense that there's no other game in town but the Ampere A102 for high end performance (or whatever the 3080ti / 3090 is).

Apple solved this problem with the iPhone launches by letting you order even with quite a backlog through their website and you would typically get your phone in 2 weeks at MSRP (for the last 2-3 years at least). In fact, in the last few years you could typically get easily a 20%+ discount by black friday which is not too far from the sept. launch window.

I hope there's enough stock and that Nvidia has some plan to deal with demand and avoid price gouging, but I doubt it.
Demand will be through the roof on the 3080. Just look at the 2080 ti. You could resell the 2080 ti for months. It could be even worse this time.

If you want a 3080Ti (or whatever they name it) at MSRP then order from Nvidia direct. Most everyone else will have them at bloated prices. I think this would be the one time pre ordering would be best provided they do it at MSRP. Whatever that will be.

Right, but Nvidia might price the FE cards higher (like 2080 $1200 to $1000) so t could be better to wait.

If you want a 3080Ti (or whatever they name it) at MSRP then order from Nvidia direct. Most everyone else will have them at bloated prices. I think this would be the one time pre ordering would be best provided they do it at MSRP. Whatever that will be.

So, they open preorders a few days before retail gets them? I ask because I'm more than willing to camp outside of a Micro Center for a few hours with a coffee to secure one, but if I can do it from the comfort of my computer chair then that's pretty appealing. Again, I've never purchased a video card upon release. Do retailers, like Micro Center, charge more than MSRP for newly released video cards? I see they're now selling the 10900k for $599, where Best Buy is only charging $529.

I dont know if Nvidia does a pre order. I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny they do it. MicroCenter is known for keeping to MSRP most of the time.

If you want silence you don't want the FE cards anyway since those tend to have a high minimum fan speed (41% with 20 series FE cards). So in that case just wait for AIB cards like the rest of us.

For the past few generations I've bought FE cards directly from Nvidia. Yes they do offer pre order as I was able to pre order my 2080 Ti. FE cards are however louder and hotter than other AIB partner cards so you must take that into consideration. I water cool my GPUs so for me I don't really care and I actually prefer getting a reference PCB card so that I know blocks designed for reference PCBs will always fit.

I'm thinking if you want a AIB version that probably be another month after the FE cards come out. I could be wrong about that though. Sometimes the manufacturers are there upon launch and other times they are later to the party. I guess it depends on how much time Nvidia gives them.

If you are too lazy to F5, at least sign up for nowinstock notifications. While people may beat you to check out in the first day or two, demand will start dropping down and you should be able to secure an order off the notification after a couple days.

Between taking the time to setup NIS notification(s) (they can be model number specific with AIB's sometimes), f5'ing on Newegg and browsing r/nvidia (sorted by new, looking for currently in stock posts, again f5'ing a lot), and having my account setup (with CC/Debit already on file) on the multiple sites I'd consider ordering from, I was able to snag my 1080 within a couple days of launch. The window is always minutes long before they go back OOS again, gotta be FAST.

Good luck :D

I've never had any luck with Nowinstock notifications. At least the email ones. By the time it hits my inbox, whatever it was has sold out.
I usually just keep that site open while I'm working and refresh it every 10-15 minutes. Ditto with Nvidia's website, Amazon, NewEgg, etc.
With the 2080Ti release I didn't get one the morning of the announcement (I was in a meeting at the time), but I snagged one the next day.

Yeah, I've tried Nowinstock many times, and it's always sold out unless I'm there refreshing the website.

I got my 2080ti and 2080 from text alerts from nis, if I'm treating it as a must have like that I might as well go all in with it. Sad state I've done it with household goods this year, almost tarnishes the experience.

I think you might be surprised. At least in the US, for as many people who might be out of a job, there are those who retained theirs and still got a $1200 stimulus check. I certainly hope there will be ample availability but I don't think it'll be any different then the launches that came before.

I think you might be surprised. At least in the US, for as many people who might be out of a job, there are those who retained theirs and still got a $1200 stimulus check. I certainly hope there will be ample availability but I don't think it'll be any different then the launches that came before.

According to a video I saw a month or two ago (GamersNexus???) when the first stimulus checks started arriving various hardware vendors reported demand surging to November/December shopping season levels. How many people are sitting on it for a new GPU later this year, vs having upgraded their system (or spent it on something else) is unknown. If congress follows through on a second 1200 dollars like they and the Whitehouse have been squabbling about for the last few weeks, and if that hits early enough to not be diverted for Christmas gift giving the GPU supply could get really ugly really fast.

Last edited:
Yeah, even though most work-at-home folks can get by with integrated graphics, the fact that gaming GPUs have been out-of-stock or the last 4 months tells you how much demand there is for off-the-clock distractions. Gaming Notebooks have also been hard to find in-stock.

Even consoles have seen unprecedented sales growth (for this late in the life-cycle, and not on-sale).

The only way you're going to get a new card at MSRP is if you can outgun the shopping bots :D

Yeah, even though most work-at-home folks can get by with integrated graphics, the fact that gaming GPUs have been out-of-stock or the last 4 months tells you how much demand there is for off-the-clock distractions. Gaming Notebooks have also been hard to find in-stock.

Even consoles have seen unprecedented sales growth (for this late in the life-cycle, and not on-sale).

The only way you're going to get a new card at MSRP is if you can outgun the shopping bots :D

The low stock happens every time a new generation is about to drop. It's got more to do with production being reduced or halted all together for some models than it does high demand

As others mentioned, try the smaller retailers or less-used-for-PC retailers. BestBuy, MC in store, etc. In college I'd hit MC for new releases and make my $50-100 profit on eBay after fees and have beer money for a month.

As others mentioned, try the smaller retailers or less-used-for-PC retailers. BestBuy, MC in store, etc. In college I'd hit MC for new releases and make my $50-100 profit on eBay after fees and have beer money for a month.

I don't know about you but my local MC has lines out the door for people to get in... then the lines to actually check out are to the back of the store for the 'in store pickup' line. So I wouldn't bet on MC doing a big deal launch this time around with covid and all. If they do be prepared to wait outside a while or to get tickets for the item so when you get in store you turn over your ticket, get the item, then leave.

Back