New NVIDIA 9-Series may be knockout blow for AMD

Shakes head..... REALLY??? One round of the graphics wars and its over? Pass the joint please....pffut...burp.... Now back to reality.

Lets see.

Playstation 4 gpu=AMD
Xbox 1/360=AMD
Wii/Wii U=AMD
Computers with built in AMD=a lot

5 Major consoles with AMD Graphics and a lot of all-in-one type pc's. BUT THE SKY IS FALLING!! ITS ALL OVER!!! THE END IS NEAR FOR AMD!!!. Jesus on a stick would you stop already?
All community colleges offer a good economics class. Please take one. Specially if its anything like the $220 bills you apparently shit like its passing gas saying its not that big of a difference between the 970 to 980 price performance wise. Now its AMD IS ALL DONE! Just stop.

Last edited:
Bottom line is performance per watt is awesome for these but in the end enthusiasts will pick the fastest cards whether they use more power/watts or not. Nothing will change including fan boy posts.

They might have the console deal, but they also have 2 billion in debt that causes them to lose 50 million each quarter. That erases most of the console income.

Look at their last two quarterly reports, they lost 36 million the last quarter and 20 million the quarter before. The only time they made money this quarter was upon the console launch, which had higher than normal console sales and orders.

AMD has continued to survive this long by continuing to downsize the company. Over the last 3 years, AMD has laid off 30% of their workforce and their R and D budget has shrunk a similar amount. AMD has never been a smaller company in the last decade than it is now.

What this means is its going to be harder and harder for AMD to be competitive and come out with that knock out product that pushes back.

Troll thread is troll thread. It doesn't matter what subforum you posted it in.

Isn't this really akin to the 6970 vs 580? Where the 6970 had similar performance to the 580 but was way cheaper. Only it's nVidia in the 6970's spot, but only if it was slightly faster.

Funny, I hear people say this every time a new Nvidia card drops. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm not a fan particularly of either company and currently own cards both red and green flavor.

Let's wait for the 3XX line to come out before we declare the end of a company.

Funny, I hear people say this every time a new Nvidia card drops. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm not a fan particularly of either company and currently own cards both red and green flavor.

Let's wait for the 3XX line to come out before we declare the end of a company.
Yeah, it was a sad day when Nvidia went bankrupt last year after the R9 290 put them out of business. Rough times.
Just kidding... Nvidia cut their prices to compete, the same thing AMD is about to do.

Well, I don't really care if AMD releases a product that's faster than Nvidia's.

I still go with Nvidia even if their GPUs aren't quite as fast as AMD's. The key reason for that is features. I like driver stability. I like the better scaling of SLI over Crossfire. I like how NVIDIA's drivers don't do stupid things like turn on video quality molesting functions like DNR by default or enable overscanning by default; these two things are constant annoyances in AMD's drivers. AMD's video settings like to constantly reset themselves and the overscanning garbage causes all sorts of bugs in games where you go to alt-tab out to turn overscanning off again and "oh wait! It turns itself off!" So you go back into the game and "oh look! Overscanning is on again! Better alt-tab out and... WHAT THE HELL OVERSCANNING IS OFF AGAIN HOW DO I FIX THIS CRAP!"

I like PhysX and Sparse Grid Super-sample Anti-aliasing. Nvidia clearly recognizes the importance of super-sampling. When I read about them building universal super-sampling into their drivers by default for the 900 series I knew Nvidia was the way to go yet again.

Has AMD even made a peep about super-sampling? You've been able to hack in some great SSAA's into games for years with Nvidia Inspector and now they seem to be making it a standard driver feature. Meanwhile on the AMD side - nothing.

Nvidia's never been the product of choice for those just looking for sheer power over the competition. They've always offered a perfect balance between power and features.

AMD doesn't just need to catch up power-wise, they need to catch up feature-wise, and I really hope they do. The last thing I want to see is a GPU monopoly which is why I always recommend AMD to people. I figure let them put up with AMD's garbage drivers so I don't have to. They can be the ones who suffer with AMD to make sure Nvidia doesn't have a monopoly and I can keep buying Nvidia.

Has AMD even made a peep about super-sampling? You've been able to hack in some great SSAA's into games for years with Nvidia Inspector and now they seem to be making it a standard driver feature. Meanwhile on the AMD side - nothing.
...Yes? Supersampling is in CCC.
Unless you're talking about downsampling, in which case AMD requires 3rd party tools which barely work anymore. There was a custom resolution patch (which you can do officially with Nvidia) but it was broken in recent drivers.

It's the reason I will never buy another AMD product again until they fix downsampling. It's too important to ignore -- or, in AMD's case, break on purpose.

Everything else you mentioned is the fluff people tell themselves in order to justify spending more for Nvidia... usually.
Today's a good day for the green boys, they get to drop $330 on an Nvidia card and they don't have to feel bad about it!

nVidia's recent offering is not a knockout blow to AMD. Look at the current and long term plans and products before making an outrageous statement like that.

:rolleyes: A troll post would be if I placed this in the AMD subforum. I laid out my position, and anyone with half a brain understands that a scenario where we saw AMD exiting the discrete GPU market would create all kinds of new problems. Would not be good for consumers.

But fact of the matter is AMD's CPU division never recovered after the bar set by Core2/iCore, and it feels like the same is on the verge of happening in the GPU market. That is all.

AMD was not killed by core2. Any hardware buff will tell you that AMD was actually killed by the pentium 4... Or rather the complete lack of ethics by which Intel sold it.

I think Nvidia is the one that needs to pray the 970/980 didn't piss off loyal fans as it's like a knife in the back of a 780GTX780Ti owner that over payed for performance.. but the 970GTX and 980GTX price shows that AMD has been killing them in that area and they based this new pricing with loyal fans at risk of feeling they have been taking down the wrong path of being an Nvidia fanboy with $700 to 1000 video cards just to wave the flag.

On the cpu side I really don't think AMD is that far behind as I look at i7-920/930 which can still power any game out there and over clocked keeps up with current SB/IVY/HASWELL.. now take a look at the FX 6300 and how well it competes with the i7-920/930 stock and overclocked..as that was Intels big leap from Core 2 as the rest are side upgrades once you also look at 1366 Xeons.

AMDs CPUs are behind in the same ways their GPUs are: in power consumption. Maxwell is over twice as efficient as AMD's current generation architecture in some cases. On the CPU side, Intel can be over three times as efficient.

Across their entire product spectrum, AMD is really only competitive on price/performance. They are extremely aggressive on pricing because they lack a competitive technology portfolio, not because they're saintly and wonderful.

In terms of marketshare I think things will remain about the same. I don't think the 900 series will win over any AMD fans but will probably keep the nvidia owners in the fold and be a good upgrade path for those who are ready (not everybody runs a 780+... just a friendly reminder... ;)).

I think the 970 could be a great Steam Machine card which could be a good opportunity for nvidia to get in on the ground floor and establish itself as the go-to vendor, but that is contingent on Valve actually releasing Steam Machines sometime before I grow old and die. And the way things are going... ahem... let's just say my bones are starting to creak.

The situation we have with the raw chart-topping power of the GTX980 and staggering price/performance of the GTX970 now is very reminiscent of AMD's CPU position shortly after Intel's Core 2 hit the market. Nvidia now has a product with better performance, better efficiency, better (still) drivers & features, and similar or lower pricing. And that puts AMD in a bad way. The 3xx series had better seriously wow, or AMD's GPU division is quickly going to see the same market erosion that happened after Core 2/iCore.

Personally, I think this is a knockout blow.

:D lol, hahahahaha, very funny!! I presume you are joking?

You are comparing Nvidia's new generation of cards to AMD's last generation of cards and are saying AMD are dead because, surprise, surprise, Nvidias new cards perform better!! Lol, am I missing something here or has all sense left these forums?

And nevermind the fact that the R9 290/290x cards were brought out in competition with the 780 GTX, not cards released 11 months later.

Its like comparing the 680 with the 6970 and declaring AMD dead because the 680 is better.

I wonder did you predict AMD were dead when the 780 was released and it was faster than the 7970?

Just curious, Is Nvidia coming out with 16nm Graphics cards early next year? And AMD 20nm?

A lot of people don't care about perf/watt and noise. AMD has shown they can compete in high end performance (with poor reference coolers) and especially in perf/$ so there will always be a market for Radeons.

However if Nvidia can scale performance with Maxwell, then this could be an Intel-AMD rerun. There's no way AMD will be able to compete watt for watt. AMD could be relegated to a clear #2 like in CPU's. But yes there's always the less lucrative business that no one else wants, like consoles.

LOL! Troll much?

But, I'll add into it, hoping to drag it up out of the gutter.

I have 3 gaming computers, each of which are in need of a new GPU. One will probably get a 970 to replace the 4gb 670 it has (great card, btw). That 670 (did I mention 4 gb?) will go into the rig with an HD6870 (Phenom II 1090T with a moderate OC). That'll be nice. It's only driving a 1080p. Finally, my FX8350 needs a replacement for its HD6850. A new AMD will fit that bill, nicely. Itl'll be an HTPC, feeding a Denon 3312ci AVR and 10' 1080p projector. (woot). The R9 285 would be okay, but I'll wait for AMD's return salvo...

So, I will buy a new AMD card -and- a new NVidia card. Viva la competition! :)

Yeah bit of a short sighted post...lol one generation does not make or break a company. Just look back at the 9700Pro vs the Ti4600, ATI blew em out of the water and nothing could come close for at least 6 months. Both compaies go back and forth all the time! Nvidia has just launched the next gen cards, AMD hasnt yet...sit tight young Padawan, much to learn there is...

The 9700 pro is a perfect example of why having the top performing cards doesn't always mean you have more business or are gaining market share. The 9700 pro was the best card out at the time, nobody would argue that. Yet Nvidia gained market share for six straight quarters.

The real battle for the market happens at much lower price brackets.

I think Nvidia is the one that needs to pray the 970/980 didn't piss off loyal fans as it's like a knife in the back of a 780GTX780Ti owner that over payed for performance.. but the 970GTX and 980GTX price shows that AMD has been killing them in that area and they based this new pricing with loyal fans at risk of feeling they have been taking down the wrong path of being an Nvidia fanboy with $700 to 1000 video cards just to wave the flag.

On the cpu side I really don't think AMD is that far behind as I look at i7-920/930 which can still power any game out there and over clocked keeps up with current SB/IVY/HASWELL.. now take a look at the FX 6300 and how well it competes with the i7-920/930 stock and overclocked..as that was Intels big leap from Core 2 as the rest are side upgrades once you also look at 1366 Xeons.

I have three 780's and I just ordered three 980's and I'm not bitter. Titan owners were the one's that got screwed when the 780 was released. Since then, its been fair game.

I have three 780's and I just ordered three 980's and I'm not bitter. Titan owners were the one's that got screwed when the 780 was released. Since then, its been fair game.

I still have a closet full of video cards (7900GT/8800GTS 320Mb/8800GT/460GTX768Mb/560GTXSE/HD7950/R9-280 ) not counting all the cards I have owned over the past 12 or so years.. it's a money pit for sure as some of those cards have less then 2 months run time on them ..

There will always be something better that will make you feel that you need it and I wouldn't mind a 970GTX to add to the collection but it's not the ended of AMD as they could have a player yet that could make the Nvidia cards look like a side upgrade once you think about the leaps they have took from the HD4870 to R9-290X which is far more impressive then what Nvidia has done in the same amount of time as they seem to pull more performance each cycle by 30 up to 50% and Nvidia needs 2 different jabs at the same card AMD released (GTX/Ti) .

Guys, you heard it here first. AMD is knocked out of ring!

perfdollar_3840.gif
perfdollar_5760.gif

It's over. :eek:

If they can't outrun 2 used 3 year old 7950's that cost about $110 apiece then not all is lost yet and there is hope as I know that setup was also faster then the 780Ti..

stock clocks Graphics Score 13112

Last edited:
This is kind of a dumb post. They've both been stuck on 28nm and will continue to be until next year. The 980 was released because they could and you're failing to mention/realize that AMD can easily sit where they are at and fight with price-cuts and killer game bundles.

nVidia is just milking their arch just like they did with the 680. The 980 while kickass is meant to be a mid-range card and we'll get bigboy maxwell next year around the same time AMD drops their new high-end.

They can counter with R9 390X and it will just be a stop-gap solution until their new cards are out just like the 980 is. The only thing that sucks for AMD is their current designs use a lot of power but if it performs better than the 980 or performs well/cheaper than it no one will give a fuck what the power usage is, and for those that do they'll just get 980's and they were never going to purchase a power hungry card to begin with.

The situation we have with the raw chart-topping power of the GTX980 and staggering price/performance of the GTX970 now is very reminiscent of AMD's CPU position shortly after Intel's Core 2 hit the market. Nvidia now has a product with better performance, better efficiency, better (still) drivers & features, and similar or lower pricing. And that puts AMD in a bad way. The 3xx series had better seriously wow, or AMD's GPU division is quickly going to see the same market erosion that happened after Core 2/iCore.

Personally, I think this is a knockout blow.
Aren't you that same guy who was waving the SteamOS flag left and right on these forums, proclaiming it to be the future of gaming and saying MS was frightened to death?

Given that your "Official SteamOS Thread" hasn't seen a post in 8 months and Valve's own SteamOS forum has been abandoned to Russian spammers, you can see why I would consider your current prediction of an Nvdia coup de grâce to be wishful thinking.

AMDs CPUs are behind in the same ways their GPUs are: in power consumption. Maxwell is over twice as efficient as AMD's current generation architecture in some cases. On the CPU side, Intel can be over three times as efficient.

Across their entire product spectrum, AMD is really only competitive on price/performance. They are extremely aggressive on pricing because they lack a competitive technology portfolio, not because they're saintly and wonderful.

Yeah, I completely agree. They sold a 290x that was on-par or faster than Nvidia's 780ti in high-resolution games, and they sold it for cheaper.

Then the 295X2 was FASTER than a TitanZ and cost half the price.

Yeah, you are right. AMD may have the fastest card on the market, and compete with Nvidia on every price point, offering better price to performance ratios across every single tier...

But that's all they have... They are doomed.

Guys, you heard it here first. AMD is knocked out of ring!

It's over. :eek:

When AMD can't win on performance, they resort to becoming the value leader as usual. Nothing new there. There are people willing to pay ridiculous prices for having the top card though so performance per dollar doesn't matter to everyone. Just saying.

If they can't outrun 2 used 3 year old 7950's that cost about $110 apiece then not all is lost yet and there is hope as I know that setup was also faster then the 780Ti..

stock clocks Graphics Score 13112

Hahah Ditto!
Recently scored mine at that exact amount over at eBay!

Hahah Ditto!
Recently scored mine at that exact amount over at eBay!

You would need a very high overclock on the 980GTX to match CX7950 at stock clocks.. I know I know all them CX issues but it played BF 4 MP like a BOSS on my setup .. Oh I forgot to add that last week I bought a FX 6300 brand new just to play with on a new build for my living room PC.. hate to think support will be gone soon because of New NVIDIA 9-Series may be knockout blow for AMD

AMD is not on the ropes. They came out of left field and blew away the competition last year with the release of the R9/*90x series. Rinse and repeat....This happens every round when video cards are released. We might see a release of the new *90 series this year or not. We just don't know. Judging on the last few years, Nvidia releases the gimped chip (680/980) and 6 months later, they release the beast chip (Full Kepler/Maxwell) AMD always releases after Nvidia (We should expect a Novembe-January Release)

They just go back and forth...there is no deathblow. Does everyone remember when the ATi 9700/9800 Pro came out and blew the 5800 Ultra out of the water and Nvidia came out with the 6800 series that kept up with the 9800 series?

There is no stinking deathblow...

While I agree that the 290 series (aside from the inflated mining run) was a far better value than nvidia, I think they actually lost gpu share in the market. I don't think being better will actually allow amd to make headway, because people are so brand loyal, and nvidia has more loyalty by a 2:1 margin.

AMD was already struggling. This will be a difficult time for them. I think they have been preparing to exit the high end market for awhile now.

While I agree that the 290 series (aside from the inflated mining run) was a far better value than nvidia, I think they actually lost gpu share in the market. I don't think being better will actually allow amd to make headway, because people are so brand loyal, and nvidia has more loyalty by a 2:1 margin.

If people were that loyal then the market share wouldn't constantly shift10-15%. Right now it's AMD at about 37% with Nvidia at about 63%. They clearly have the edge, but that percent will always be up for grabs and even more if Nvidia keeps doing the shit they are doing with the odd ass pricing structure.

We've been here time and time again. I still think AMD's purchase of ATI was the worst thing for ATI. Given AMD's financials though I wouldn't be surprised if someone bigger comes along in the future, buys them out, throws billions at them and suddenly Nvidia is in trouble or considering a merger. They can only go so far before the technology hurdle costs become too overwhelming.

I've always heard nVidia and AMD were close, up until AMD panicked at Intel, and bought ATi at the spur of a moment. After that, the AMD-nVidia relationship soured.

If people were that loyal then the market share wouldn't constantly shift10-15%. Right now it's AMD at about 37% with Nvidia at about 63%. They clearly have the edge, but that percent will always be up for grabs and even more if Nvidia keeps doing the shit they are doing with the odd ass pricing structure.

We've been here time and time again. I still think AMD's purchase of ATI was the worst thing for ATI. Given AMD's financials though I wouldn't be surprised if someone bigger comes along in the future, buys them out, throws billions at them and suddenly Nvidia is in trouble or considering a merger. They can only go so far before the technology hurdle costs become too overwhelming.

I read somewhere that if AMD is bought out by some other party, the x86 licensing with intel would not be allowed to transfer, so AMD would buyer would have their hands tied. Not sure if that is accurate because it sounds like it would be so anti competitive to the point of illegality. But I wonder if a Qualcomm would ever be interested in buying an AMD, they certainly seem to have the revenue/profit to pull it off, and the adreno graphics was based in part of the radeon with amd/ati staffers building that for qualcomm.

I've always heard nVidia and AMD were close, up until AMD panicked at Intel, and bought ATi at the spur of a moment. After that, the AMD-nVidia relationship soured.

I remember nvidia being pissed off at and hating intel for some decision to muscle nvidia out of the motherboard chipset business for intel cpus. But intel was never a direct competitor to nvidia in the discreet gpu market. ATI was, and so when they came under the aegis of AMD nvidia had to be more antagonistic.

It would be interesting to see what kind of cpus nvidia would use if amd actually had the highest performing cpu parts. They almost ALWAYS use intel when doing benchmarks to publicize.

People are spreading rumors that AMD is going to have an announcement next week. :eek:

(grabs popcorn)

If it's a new flagship card then I'll say that I'm glad it's coming so soon, still within the return policy of my 980s :D

Back